Ct. Lottery still looking for $254.2M Powerball winner

Nov 9, 2011, 9:37 am (38 comments)

Powerball

The search is still on for the $254.2 million Powerball jackpot winning ticket for the November 2, 2011 drawing — the largest prize ever won in Connecticut Lottery history.

Lottery officials confirm that the winning ticket was sold in Fairfield County. Further details will not be available until the winner comes forward to make the unprecedented claim.

The winning numbers on November 2 were 12, 14, 34, 39, and 46, with Powerball number 36. The Power Play multiplier number was 4.

The Connecticut Lottery encourages everyone to check their tickets carefully and to sign the back of their tickets to establish ownership. Players have 180 days from the date of drawing to claim a winning ticket. Winning tickets for the November 2 Powerball drawing expire on April 30, 2012.

The retailer who sold the Powerball jackpot winning ticket will receive a $100,000 bonus from the Connecticut Lottery.

Overall odds of winning a Powerball prize are 1 in 35.1. The odds of winning the Powerball jackpot prize are 1 in 195,249,054.

Lottery Post Staff

Comments

dpoly1's avatardpoly1

I volunteer to be the winner !  Jester Laugh

seanp

Everytime I buy a ticket, I always keep it in my pocket and I l always watch the jackpot. So that will not happen to me. I guess the person who bought the ticket was careless. I mean if you buy a ticket, you expect to win, so you gotta treat the the ticket as a fortune.

TheRightPrice

Look no further. I am the winner. I will claim my prize when I am ready.

spy153's avatarspy153

I feel so sorry for the guy losing his ticket.  What if it were you? Wouldn't that just stink? I mean, having the chance to make all of your dreams come true... and some dreams for your family memers too... and then poof!!! Gone! That's horrible.  I feel sorry for ya' man. I really do.  I hope you find it.

LottoGuyBC's avatarLottoGuyBC

I'll take it Cheers The $254.2M Disney

rdgrnr's avatarrdgrnr

It would be very sad if this guy truly had and lost the ticket but I got a feeling (Trust me, I'm an Oracle for Pete's Sake!) that he never had the ticket and that the guy who really has it is in consultation with his attorney right now and laughing about this whole affair.

Carl8080

We will see in a few weeks or before of the 180 days deadline if he truly was the real winner.

foragoodcause's avatarforagoodcause

The guy who said he lost his ticket,why he doesn't speaks on TV?The store has camera and if it's true he lost it,we will be able to see him in the store at the time he said he lost his lottery ticket.

Jill34786's avatarJill34786

I feel the same way. If this guy really bought it then it shouldn't be too difficult to review the time and day on the security video to validate that it was indeed him. I feel it's just another absurd  attempt at claiming something that truly belongs to someone else.

freeobama's avatarfreeobama

The winner is still looking for the ticket he lost.Crazy

PERDUE

I suspect the winner is getting personal business in order before cashing in one of the largest jackpots to ever be won in CT.

Could be talking with lawyers, financial consultants, bankers, and spouse.

Remember, this persons life is about to take a drastic change once they step forward and claim the prize.

Looking forward to my lottery payday.

RJOh's avatarRJOh

The next PB winner could come forward and claim his prize before this winner is known.

gocart1's avatargocart1

Quote: Originally posted by rdgrnr on Nov 9, 2011

It would be very sad if this guy truly had and lost the ticket but I got a feeling (Trust me, I'm an Oracle for Pete's Sake!) that he never had the ticket and that the guy who really has it is in consultation with his attorney right now and laughing about this whole affair.

I'm with you  "" rdgrnr"" on this one...This guy is so full of donkey dust ...The real winner is is out there with his consultants..Funny thing is ,,me and the old lady would drive into CT. for Powerball tickets ..ITs only the last year or so that you can buy tickets here in the state of NEW YORK..And thats the area we would buy the tickets in..Its a 25 minute ride and we would make the day of it shopping and things.................I wish we still played in CT  Powerball...man  i would still be in shock..I Agree!

gocart1's avatargocart1

Quote: Originally posted by seanp on Nov 9, 2011

Everytime I buy a ticket, I always keep it in my pocket and I l always watch the jackpot. So that will not happen to me. I guess the person who bought the ticket was careless. I mean if you buy a ticket, you expect to win, so you gotta treat the the ticket as a fortune.

I Agree!

Marilyn222's avatarMarilyn222

PartyLet It All Out

sully16's avatarsully16

Quote: Originally posted by rdgrnr on Nov 9, 2011

yeah , I agree with that.

Simba774

Quote: Originally posted by PERDUE on Nov 9, 2011

I suspect the winner is getting personal business in order before cashing in one of the largest jackpots to ever be won in CT.

Could be talking with lawyers, financial consultants, bankers, and spouse.

Remember, this persons life is about to take a drastic change once they step forward and claim the prize.

Looking forward to my lottery payday.

No one should claim it right away, and if it really is that man who claims to have lost the ticket, I don't feel sorry for him at all.

He won, he lost, it's not really for him...the almighty has a better purpose. Who knows it might really meant for someone else?Smile

balyanango

I suspect whoever won the Jackpot if he/she didn't lose the ticket may be waiting to show up at the Lotto offices on January 2, 2012. He/she may fear that if he showed now as the year draws to an end and cashes in, he/she will be liable to pay a lot of Federal, State and perhaps even local taxes. So if he/she shows up on January 2, 2012 with the winning lottery ticket, he/she won't worry about taxes till April 15 2013!!!

gocart1's avatargocart1

Quote: Originally posted by balyanango on Nov 11, 2011

I suspect whoever won the Jackpot if he/she didn't lose the ticket may be waiting to show up at the Lotto offices on January 2, 2012. He/she may fear that if he showed now as the year draws to an end and cashes in, he/she will be liable to pay a lot of Federal, State and perhaps even local taxes. So if he/she shows up on January 2, 2012 with the winning lottery ticket, he/she won't worry about taxes till April 15 2013!!!

Thats a great idea "balyanango""....I Agree!

gocart1's avatargocart1

Quote: Originally posted by gocart1 on Nov 11, 2011

Thats a great idea "balyanango""....I Agree!

Oppps....Sorry.....Welcome to the  ""Lottery Post""  family......PartyUS FlagPartyNoel

JonnyBgood07's avatarJonnyBgood07

I'm betting it's someone going through an ugly divorce that's near the end and they're waiting patiently

Slick Nick's avatarSlick Nick

If whoever is going through a divorce and is waiting as you say, I doubt it will be beneficial. If they were legally married at the time of the win, they will have to split the money.No No

Things are a bit quiet this week regarding the Ct. Lottery winner. Anyone hear anything?Hiding Behind Computer

Sully, you may be right. And if so, the guy who is making this claim will look like a real monkey for making such a false claim.Bang Head

LottoGuyBC's avatarLottoGuyBC

Quote: Originally posted by Slick Nick on Nov 12, 2011

Things are a bit quiet this week regarding the Ct. Lottery winner. Anyone hear anything?Hiding Behind Computer

nothing yet Bed

Quote: Originally posted by LottoGuyBC on Nov 12, 2011

nothing yet Bed

Thanks Lottoguy!   Sulk Off

faber98

for tax purposes it only matters when the ticket was won not when you cashed it.  so that theory can be shot down. the divorce theory is ridiculous too. i hope he really did lose it, so he can be chump of the year. no one deserves or needs that much money except rdgrunner the oracle of the appalachians.

I will wait for my ticket to win and retire...SmileBlue Angel

Quote: Originally posted by faber98 on Nov 12, 2011

for tax purposes it only matters when the ticket was won not when you cashed it.  so that theory can be shot down. the divorce theory is ridiculous too. i hope he really did lose it, so he can be chump of the year. no one deserves or needs that much money except rdgrunner the oracle of the appalachians.

I have to disagree on this one. Many winners in the past have redeemed their winning ticket after the New Year in order to forgo the additional tax liabilities for the ending year. If you win a jackpot in late 2011 and cash it in 2012 thereby taking possession of your winnings at that time, you would not be liable or responsible to file those winnings until the following year(2013).

Regarding the tax theory, thats questionable. Some people actually do forget they have purchased tickets as we all know. I'd like to see other opinions on when you get taxed. It definitely would be in the year you cashed it I would think.  And regarding the divorce, yup, if your legally married to he or she, you will split..Dance

AuntiePat's avatarAuntiePat

Only the state in which you won, the municipality in which you won and the date on which you won are significant--you can move, purchase a NY winning jackpot and cash in OH (happened to a truck driving friend of my DH), and wait til the last hour even if it occurs in a different yr--and the only thing still significant is WHERE did you win (that state writes the check and takes out taxes appropriate for their state, and WHEN did you win-You're a winner at the moment your tkt wins that prize--since tax laws have become rather fluid of late--the taxes IN EFFECT AT THE TIME OF WINNING govern how your winnings are taxed). 

If I had won THAT much money--it wouldn't matter much when or where I won--like I would actually care about maximizing my winnings and reducing my taxes--I'm not Brad Duke with a goal of becoming a billionaire--my family signed papers years ago--that would be sisters in law, daughter, step daughters, brother, nieces, step-niece, grandson, step-nephew, a very close cousin, and three of our closest friends--they laughed but the papers are held by my brother (my executor) to keep me honest and keep me from being greedy--why share with so many--

1) It's lonely if the rest of the people in your life either turn your back on you cause they can't keep up or have to come to you with hat in hand for a handout--like Joseph Kennedy said when he set up his family trust that each offspring would share in when they became 21--"I wanted my kids to be able to tell me to go to hell if they wanted to without worrying they would end up cut out of my will"  The result was one of the closest knit families in American politics, society and philanthropy we have ever seen.

2) I never said these were EQUAL shares--they're shares--some have 10%, some 8%, some only 3%--but everyone gets something and there's still enough left to live off the interest which should be the goal of any lottery winner--Don't touch the principal.

3) As far as winning and waiting--if your friendly local banker can verify that you have the winning jackpot tkt before the offices open on Monday, you can store it in a safety deposit box AND he will open a line of credit for you that will enable you to get whatever your heart desires so you are not compelled to live like a pauper while waiting the opportunity to finish your planning.

Anyway--just my 2 cents.

Hi to all--been a LONNNNGG time--see a lot of new and a few of fav old timers.

gocart1's avatargocart1

Quote: Originally posted by Slick Nick on Nov 12, 2011

I'm wondering too...Just find it interesting because thats the area i used to buy my tickets before New York had Powerball..

faber98

so, jill, it's ok to wait till the next year to cash it to avoid the taxes, but you can't wait till a divorce is finalized to cash it to avoid paying the wench. i don't think so.  since you only have to pay the tax once, why wait anyway. to hang on to the money for another year. it doesn't work that way. they take it out of your check up front so what's the advantage to waiting.

Quote: Originally posted by faber98 on Nov 13, 2011

so, jill, it's ok to wait till the next year to cash it to avoid the taxes, but you can't wait till a divorce is finalized to cash it to avoid paying the wench. i don't think so.  since you only have to pay the tax once, why wait anyway. to hang on to the money for another year. it doesn't work that way. they take it out of your check up front so what's the advantage to waiting.

They only take out 25% of the Fedral tax up front. With winnings or 400k, the Federal tax rate is 35% so the winner would still be responsible for an extra 10%. By taking their time to claim the Jackpot, they would have an opportunity to plan things out with their advisors in an effort to minimize the additional taxes that would be owed.

gocart1's avatargocart1

OK...it was just on the 6 o"clock news here in New York City...The winer still has not come forward in Ct. and has till April 30 ,2012 ...to calm the ticket....PartyUS FlagPartyNoel

joshuacloak's avatarjoshuacloak

it takes round 2 weeks give or take a few days, for state lottery that has a player that won

, to get all Money form all collective states in game, in 1 bank account

so i would not not be a in rush to claim, and make people wait always 2 weeks my self.

however. if the person holding the ticket does not step up and claim this thing by end of Week

he be losing Money!     he could of Got via bank Interest, no lawyer, or CA, would dare tell their cilent if they have any brain, pass 2 week mark, Not to wait any longer.  Now time for action, no more delay.

so if person does not show up by end of week.  we have a moron winner,       said  person never checked the ticket, or gasp, we have a moron who lost it

or we have a team of morons telling other moron"winner"  what best to do and no one thinking of lost money via Interest rate

for god sakes, if your a lottery winner,  and you are in shock, and dont know how to spend it

at 2 week point  , when lottery has all money just sitting their, , and can pay you any time,  its now time to put all of it in your bank account

cease, once all money just sitting their in state lottery's account, its freaking free money for them via Interest rate.  and not YOURS free money rofl. they just keep the interest, thanks for taking so long, you given them lots of free cash, LOL

their no need to rush to claim, thanks to lottery taking 2 weeks of winning to even get you money if your a jackpot winner in pb/mm, but atfer that, you went form being smart and taking your time to shooting your own foot money wise and losing future money.

greeneye's avatargreeneye

One more thing,if you win ,sing the ticket..One American dummy trusted a towel head who's daddy had a store and he stole the ticket after the dummy asked him to check the ticket to see if it was a winner..Towley said no it was not and the ticket was a million dollar winner..Towely singed his name on it,...

End of comments
Subscribe to this news story