Welcome Guest
You last visited December 4, 2016, 3:15 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Powerball at $2.00 - What jackpot level do you start playing?

Topic closed. 48 replies. Last post 5 years ago by JADELottery.

Page 3 of 4
PrintE-mailLink

What jackpot level do you start playing?

$40 Million (starting jackpot) [ 39 ]  [47.56%]
$80 Million [ 3 ]  [3.66%]
$100 Million [ 15 ]  [18.29%]
$250 Million [ 13 ]  [15.85%]
$500 Million [ 2 ]  [2.44%]
$1 Billion [ 1 ]  [1.22%]
$10 Billion [ 2 ]  [2.44%]
$100 Billion [ 2 ]  [2.44%]
Will Not Play at any Jackpot [ 5 ]  [6.10%]
Total Valid Votes [ 82 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 3 ]  
GiveFive's avatar - Lottery-026.jpg
NY State
United States
Member #92609
June 10, 2010
3693 Posts
Posted: January 20, 2012, 8:58 pm - IP Logged

For me, playing PB used to be all about The Power Play.  Of course I'd have taken any JP amount, but essentially I used to play for $1,000,000.  Until today, I never bought PB without the Power Play. 

Now that winning 2nd place will get you a million bucks, I simply play without The Power Play.  So I used to spend 2 bucks per line, and now I still do.  Sure an extra million would be nice, but at 3 bucks per line I'll pass.

About playing the lottery --  You will lose more than you win. Until you hit a jackpot.  Then everything changes!

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
    mid-Ohio
    United States
    Member #9
    March 24, 2001
    19821 Posts
    Posted: January 21, 2012, 3:32 am - IP Logged

For me, playing PB used to be all about The Power Play.  Of course I'd have taken any JP amount, but essentially I used to play for $1,000,000.  Until today, I never bought PB without the Power Play. 

Now that winning 2nd place will get you a million bucks, I simply play without The Power Play.  So I used to spend 2 bucks per line, and now I still do.  Sure an extra million would be nice, but at 3 bucks per line I'll pass.

That's fine if you match 5+0 but at the same time matching 1+1, 2+1 , 3+0, 3+1, 4+0 and 4+1 pays the same as when you only spent a dollar.  Now everyone has to pay the extra dollar per line to help pay the million dollars prize for second place winners where before it was by choice and every prize level was multiplied.  If they don't match 5+0 or 0+1,  they get nothing for the extra dollars spent and the state gets all those extra dollars they weren't spending when they had a choice.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

savagegoose's avatar - ProfilePho
      adelaide sa
      Australia
      Member #37136
      April 11, 2006
      3300 Posts
      Posted: January 21, 2012, 4:17 am - IP Logged

8 people here said they would wait till, 250 mill to buy a ticket? i want to ask  how many of that 8 have bought a tivcket already, now that its $100M?

ok of that 7 , because i ticked the 250 mill box, and i cant buy any anyhow. so i dont count, and yeah i think 100M was prob a better  choice now.

2014 = -1016; 2015= -1409; 2016 JAN = -106; FEB= -81; MAR= -131; APR= - 87: MAY= -91; JUN= -39; JUL=-134; AUG= -124; SEP = -123; OCT= -84  NOV=- 73 TOT= -3498

keno historic = -2291 ; 2015= -603; 2016= JAN=-32, FEB= +12 , MAR= -86, APR = -77. MAY= -48, JUN= -29, JUL=-71; AUG = -52; SEPT= -43; OCT = +56 NOV = -33 TOT= -3297

GiveFive's avatar - Lottery-026.jpg
        NY State
        United States
        Member #92609
        June 10, 2010
        3693 Posts
        Posted: January 21, 2012, 7:09 am - IP Logged

That's fine if you match 5+0 but at the same time matching 1+1, 2+1 , 3+0, 3+1, 4+0 and 4+1 pays the same as when you only spent a dollar.  Now everyone has to pay the extra dollar per line to help pay the million dollars prize for second place winners where before it was by choice and every prize level was multiplied.  If they don't match 5+0 or 0+1,  they get nothing for the extra dollars spent and the state gets all those extra dollars they weren't spending when they had a choice.

I agree, the state is the big winner for the player spending an extra dollar now.  I hadnt thought of it in those terms, but you're absolutely correct.

Another reason why I begged off the Power Play was because I run a office pool. In the past, we all agreed to buy The PP because we knew 2nd placed would jump from 200G to one million.  While we'd be grateful to have any large win, there are enough of us that we thought equally busting up 200,000 wouldnt be as nice as busting up 1,000,000.  And for an extra buck each, why not?  Sure, busting up 2,000,0000 is better still, but there's a line I didnt want to cross for a different reason. 

I could ask those guys and gals for 3 bucks, but I wont.  Some of them have a hard enough time finding 2 bucks to play.  That's another reason why we dont start playing until the JP hits 100 million.  Even then, if nobody hit's tonite, I doubt we'll play again next Wednesday.  Then again, we might, but I'll let the folks tell me what they want to do.  How I wish it was different... not because I want to play again on Wednesday if no one won, but for them.  They're all great people. Some of them work real hard for not much money.  They act like they're not broke all the time, but I know better.  I go along with their charade because I like them so much.

About playing the lottery --  You will lose more than you win. Until you hit a jackpot.  Then everything changes!

mymonthlypicks's avatar - spider
          Virginia Beach,Va
          United States
          Member #65378
          September 25, 2008
          1180 Posts
          Posted: January 21, 2012, 11:45 am - IP Logged

It may start @ 40 million but it won't go up that much for each drawing. What a Con, I dont think it will go up as much for each drawing as it did when tickets were a dollar since like myself I will only play 2 line now instead of 5 lines.

If OBAMA'S The ANSWER

How STUPID was the QUESTION?

weshar75's avatar - Lottery-042.jpg
            Mcminnville, Oregon
            United States
            Member #3013
            December 13, 2003
            3047 Posts
            Posted: January 22, 2012, 11:45 pm - IP Logged

I would be really surprised if powerball went on a jackpot record run first thing out of the starting gates.  Anything can happen in the lottery because they have been only having one second place prize winners for the last two drawings so maybe less combinations are being bought.  But still it would be a surprise if the powerball went for a record jackpot right out of a matrix change.-weshar75

BaristaExpress's avatar - BaristaExpressMX zpsfb0d8b5d.png
              Magnolia, Delaware
              United States
              Member #18795
              July 20, 2005
              789 Posts
              Posted: January 24, 2012, 8:10 pm - IP Logged

8 people here said they would wait till, 250 mill to buy a ticket? i want to ask  how many of that 8 have bought a tivcket already, now that its $100M?

ok of that 7 , because i ticked the 250 mill box, and i cant buy any anyhow. so i dont count, and yeah i think 100M was prob a better  choice now.

Not I! When I checked that box for the 250 Million that would be the annuity amount..... I will only play when the cash amount is 100 Million +! And that goes for either game PB or MM! But now when I play the same $20.00 dollars as I always did before on PB.... the only difference is I will only get half the play now for the same amount spent (2x10 lines for $20.00) when playing PB!

Keep dreaming the impossible dream, it just may come true! Thumbs Up

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                mid-Ohio
                United States
                Member #9
                March 24, 2001
                19821 Posts
                Posted: January 25, 2012, 5:23 pm - IP Logged

Not I! When I checked that box for the 250 Million that would be the annuity amount..... I will only play when the cash amount is 100 Million +! And that goes for either game PB or MM! But now when I play the same $20.00 dollars as I always did before on PB.... the only difference is I will only get half the play now for the same amount spent (2x10 lines for $20.00) when playing PB!

Now that MM has been won and reset to $12M jackpot, PB will have a better chance to see if doubling their ticket price double their sales amounts since the cash values of the two games are so different, (will the systems players continue to buy the same amount of tickets regardless of their price).  If not, the jackpot will climb at its usual rate with fewer winners.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

Uff Da!'s avatar - InCelebration 001.jpg
                  Washington State
                  United States
                  Member #33973
                  February 26, 2006
                  347 Posts
                  Posted: February 2, 2012, 2:10 pm - IP Logged

Previously I usually played either MegaMillions or Powerball, but not both and only provided the cash value was at least $50 million.  Since the PB went to $2, I'll probably only play when the cash value reaches at least $150 million and keep the MM figure at $50 million.  In weeks that neither MM or PB reach those levels, I'll throw my money at the state lotto instead.  I don't see the value of adding the power play since I get better odds with spending the extra dollar on the state lotto.

JADELottery's avatar - MeAtWork 03.PNG
                    The Quantum Master
                    West Concord, MN
                    United States
                    Member #21
                    December 7, 2001
                    3675 Posts
                    Posted: February 3, 2012, 6:53 pm - IP Logged

33 at this point play at the starting jackpot; which tells us you must play every draw.

After all $80 Mill is better than $40 Mill, and a $100 Mill is even more; no sense in stopping now.

This means at a minimum with the new $2.00 ticket price your spending about $208.00 a year, at a minimum; it all goes up from there.

Buy two combos and it's $416.00 a year, getting pricey.

We'd guess you'd be spending close to $1,000.00 a year, give or take a few compulsive buys during jackpot fever days.

Not playing every draw, well then your not a real hard core Powerball Zombie.

Come on, keep pumping that jackpot while we sit back and wait for the big $10 Billion.

Presented 'AS IS' and for Entertainment Purposes Only.
                    Any gain or loss is your responsibility.
                    Use at your own risk.

Order is a Subset of Chaos
                    Knowledge is Beyond Belief
                    Wisdom is Not Censored
                    Douglas Paul Smallish
                    Jehocifer

The Quantum Master
                      West Concord, MN
                      United States
                      Member #21
                      December 7, 2001
                      3675 Posts
                      Posted: February 23, 2012, 7:46 am - IP Logged

That starting jackpot poll numbers might be questionable.

The jackpot increases don't seem to support it, unless people are cutting way back on the amount they are playing.

Use at your own risk.

Wisdom is Not Censored
                      Douglas Paul Smallish
                      Jehocifer

rcbbuckeye's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
                        Texas
                        United States
                        Member #55889
                        October 23, 2007
                        5591 Posts
                        Posted: February 23, 2012, 8:18 am - IP Logged

That starting jackpot poll numbers might be questionable.

The jackpot increases don't seem to support it, unless people are cutting way back on the amount they are playing.

Don't know about anyone else, but I buy one line every draw, no matter what the jackpot is.

CAN'T WIN IF YOU'RE NOT IN

A DOLLAR AND A DREAM (OR $2)

Morrison, IL
                          United States
                          Member #4657
                          May 13, 2004
                          1884 Posts
                          Posted: February 23, 2012, 6:43 pm - IP Logged

The jackpot increases so far have been only the minimum $10 million.  I think it will probably increase by at least $20 million if it is not won on Saturday though.

---

Morrison, IL
                            United States
                            Member #4657
                            May 13, 2004
                            1884 Posts
                            Posted: February 26, 2012, 1:41 am - IP Logged

Well, the jackpot was won at the guaranteed $70 million level.  This isn't a good sign for MUSL that their experiment is working so far.  If three rollovers isn't enough to break out of guaranteed range, then they should probably abandon the new Powerball game and go back to the way it was before.  The alternatives, of course, are to lower the starting jackpot amount, but keep it greater than $20 million and/or lower the minimum rollovers, but keep them greater than $5 million.

---

The Quantum Master
                              West Concord, MN
                              United States
                              Member #21
                              December 7, 2001
                              3675 Posts
                              Posted: February 26, 2012, 1:56 am - IP Logged

Well, the jackpot was won at the guaranteed $70 million level.  This isn't a good sign for MUSL that their experiment is working so far.  If three rollovers isn't enough to break out of guaranteed range, then they should probably abandon the new Powerball game and go back to the way it was before.  The alternatives, of course, are to lower the starting jackpot amount, but keep it greater than $20 million and/or lower the minimum rollovers, but keep them greater than $5 million.

Shame.

All those Power Zombies spinning their wheels pumping a jackpot at $2.00 bucks a pop.

Use at your own risk.

Wisdom is Not Censored
                              Douglas Paul Smallish
                              Jehocifer