Welcome Guest
You last visited January 20, 2017, 11:12 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Powerball Changes

Topic closed. 36 replies. Last post 5 years ago by CDanaT.

Page 1 of 3
PrintE-mailLink
goldie11111's avatar - WhiteShyGuy
Saitama
Japan
Member #13106
March 29, 2005
2 Posts
Posted: January 10, 2012, 7:46 pm - IP Logged

I think this is absolutely the STUPIDIST thing that could be done to this lottery, except for reducing the Pball nubers by 4. I would much rathur see 100 people win a Million than 1 individual win 100 Million.. Are all of the idiots running Power ball Wall Street Junkies?  Or just simple Rebublicians ? SO, now I start buying 1 ticket instead of two at a time.

The government gets most of the BIG money payouts anyway..Someone please help me understand this outragious reasoning.. Give me a break.......

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
    Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
    United States
    Member #73904
    April 28, 2009
    14903 Posts
    Posted: January 10, 2012, 11:16 pm - IP Logged

I think this is absolutely the STUPIDIST thing that could be done to this lottery, except for reducing the Pball nubers by 4. I would much rathur see 100 people win a Million than 1 individual win 100 Million.. Are all of the idiots running Power ball Wall Street Junkies?  Or just simple Rebublicians ? SO, now I start buying 1 ticket instead of two at a time.

The government gets most of the BIG money payouts anyway..Someone please help me understand this outragious reasoning.. Give me a break.......

"Are all of the idiots running Power ball Wall Street Junkies?  Or just simple Rebublicians ?"

No, actually it's the Occupiers.

They ran out of flags to defecate on and got tired of public masturbation and beating on drums, so they took over Powerball.

Could you send some Japanese flags for them to defecate on?

Thanks ever so much.

Inland Empire
      United States
      Member #118116
      October 22, 2011
      322 Posts
      Posted: January 10, 2012, 11:45 pm - IP Logged

Maybe it's kinda off-topic but...I read the Bible often and in the Gospel of Luke, Jesus clearly shows his divine contempt on rich people.

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
        Zeta Reticuli Star System
        United States
        Member #30470
        January 17, 2006
        10391 Posts
        Posted: January 14, 2012, 10:15 am - IP Logged

goldie11111,

A lot of people agree with you on more winners vs one individual, this is from the Powerball website FAQ page:

I HAVE A GAME IDEA; YOU SHOULD GIVE 200 PEOPLE $1 MILLION EACH.

We do get mail from persons offering ideas that promise to double or triple our sales in the game. We also get a lot of mail that starts - "Everyone I talk to agrees that Powerball should pay more and smaller prizes, who needs $XXX million!!!" These writers usually get extremely angry when we try to explain why their idea won't work - so we prefer to use this standard response. Please accept this response with our apologies for not recognizing how very right you are:

(1) If you are sending in a game idea with no demand for payment: Thank you for your idea and comments, we will certainly pass it on to the design team; will run it by our very expensive patent law firm for a review of other possible patent infringement ideas (so we don't get sued); and then will develop and run qualitative and quantitative research to test the concept with a mix of players.

(2) If you are sending in a game idea and demand payment: Please understand that we cannot accept game ideas. If you have faith in your idea you may consider seeking a patent on it (at least $10,000 and two years) or you can submit the idea to a state lottery's advertising agency. You can contact your local state lottery to find a contact for their advertising agency. The agency understands the process of reviewing your game design idea and can also assist you in protecting your idea.

(3) If you believe that we should pay out $1 million prizes to lots of persons: After players told us that in focus groups, we actually started that game. No one played. Lotteries need to create a variety of games that appeal to different players. Powerball is a game that appeals to those players who want to play for large jackpots. There are other games that offer better odds (and so, lower jackpot amounts). Sales for a Powerball drawing can vary from $16 million to $200 million. You might guess which jackpot levels bring the most sales. Players vote with their dollars on the jackpot levels they prefer and we must listen to our customers. Powerball is actually two games in one – a big jackpot game and a big Cash 5 game. By adding the Power Play option, a player can even increase the Cash 5 part of the game to a $1 million cash prize. Players who want to play for that prize level – at much better odds – can do that in Powerball and, with the Power Play, can actually redesign the prize structure to fit their wishes.

http://www.powerball.com/pb_contact.asp

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

Arlington, TX
          United States
          Member #121691
          January 15, 2012
          15 Posts
          Posted: January 15, 2012, 8:18 am - IP Logged

The only reason I play Powerball is so I may win 100 Million solo. And YES, 100 people could very well win 1 million.... pick 5 and power play. So whats the problem?

Orlando, FL
            United States
            Member #115785
            August 28, 2011
            259 Posts
            Posted: January 15, 2012, 9:46 am - IP Logged

I don't know about you guys, but it doesn't seem like PB added 20 million to the Jackpot. If the previous Jackpot was 66 and the new Jackpot is now 80, then shouldn't the new Jackpot be 86?

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
              Zeta Reticuli Star System
              United States
              Member #30470
              January 17, 2006
              10391 Posts
              Posted: January 15, 2012, 1:41 pm - IP Logged

Evidently what the MUSL meant was that the $20M will be added after the current jackpot is hit and the new starting jackpot will be $40M instead of $20M.

Or in other words, they are going to have the $2 per ticket come in before they add the $20M.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

DFW, Texas
                United States
                Member #78628
                August 18, 2009
                134 Posts
                Posted: January 15, 2012, 6:28 pm - IP Logged

I don't know about you guys, but it doesn't seem like PB added 20 million to the Jackpot. If the previous Jackpot was 66 and the new Jackpot is now 80, then shouldn't the new Jackpot be 86?

As I understand it, the $20,000,000 increase applies only to the starting jackpot.  Since nobody won, it doesn't apply now.  The minimum jackpot increase doubled to $10,000,000, and the current jackpot increase is in excess of that amount.  As I understood the change, the increase is consistent with the new rules.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                  mid-Ohio
                  United States
                  Member #9
                  March 24, 2001
                  19901 Posts
                  Posted: January 15, 2012, 6:58 pm - IP Logged

As I understand it, the $20,000,000 increase applies only to the starting jackpot.  Since nobody won, it doesn't apply now.  The minimum jackpot increase doubled to $10,000,000, and the current jackpot increase is in excess of that amount.  As I understood the change, the increase is consistent with the new rules.

Also the $2 per board just started today so the extra money will not start going the the jackpot until after the Wedsday's drawing.  That amount will depend on the number of tickets sold which I suspect will be lower than normal with the new price.  I know my usually $20 in ticket sales won't be included, I may buy 20 lines of Ohio Classic Lotto instead.  It's jackpot is only $2.6M but with odds of winning it of 1:14M, I get 20 chances to win it for $20.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

savagegoose's avatar - ProfilePho
                    adelaide sa
                    Australia
                    Member #37136
                    April 11, 2006
                    3316 Posts
                    Posted: January 15, 2012, 8:32 pm - IP Logged

wow a quote from powerball on them  having a lots of $1 mill prizesgame that noone played.  i dunno if theyre telling the truth about having a game that no one played. i dont recall ever seeing it, but then that kind of proves their point.

proff is in the pudding, and we will see how long this takes to get to $100 mll and how quick it gets to $200m

2014 = -1016; 2015= -1409; 2016  = -1171; 2017 = ?  TOT =  -3596

keno historic = -2291 ; 2015= -603; 2016= -424; 2017 = ? TOT = - 3318

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                      United States
                      Member #73904
                      April 28, 2009
                      14903 Posts
                      Posted: January 15, 2012, 9:05 pm - IP Logged

wow a quote from powerball on them  having a lots of $1 mill prizesgame that noone played.  i dunno if theyre telling the truth about having a game that no one played. i dont recall ever seeing it, but then that kind of proves their point.

proff is in the pudding, and we will see how long this takes to get to $100 mll and how quick it gets to $200m

I'd be interested to know the names of those games they tried that failed.

Not that I don't believe them.

Just that I personally never saw them.

I can't recall any national game with multiple Million Dollar prizes coming out and then disappearing.

DFW, Texas
                        United States
                        Member #78628
                        August 18, 2009
                        134 Posts
                        Posted: January 16, 2012, 1:27 am - IP Logged

I'd be interested to know the names of those games they tried that failed.

Not that I don't believe them.

Just that I personally never saw them.

I can't recall any national game with multiple Million Dollar prizes coming out and then disappearing.

On MUSL's web site is a list of historical games  http://www.musl.com/musl_games.html  Other than Powerball, it seems MUSL games have limited availability.

The only long-retired one that I can verify was a million-dollar game is Daily Millions, which has an entry on Wikipedia  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daily_Millions It's a different game, with three fields and six numbers.  The grand prize was 1 million cash.

They also retired Ca$hola last year.  The final jackpot was 4.6 million.  http://www.powerball.com/cashola/cashola_main.asp

savagegoose's avatar - ProfilePho
                          adelaide sa
                          Australia
                          Member #37136
                          April 11, 2006
                          3316 Posts
                          Posted: January 16, 2012, 6:37 am - IP Logged

tks for that longarm.,  interesting  games and an intersting read. so i did some numbers on 2by2  and the odds are quite low 1 in 100k ish for 22k cash.  a bit more generous than say the daily millions game at around 9 mill to 1 odds for a 1 mill payout.

i can see why no one piles on these games. as the pot isnt that big. can a 10 mill to 1 odds game be considered tried giving away $1 mill prizes?wouldnt a 2 mill to 1 odds game called ohh i dunno the big easy ans ran daily, me more like trying to give away easy money. lemme strain my brain, 100 x 100 x100 and $2 a game surely it doesnt cost $1M to givew away 1Ml in the states?

2014 = -1016; 2015= -1409; 2016  = -1171; 2017 = ?  TOT =  -3596

keno historic = -2291 ; 2015= -603; 2016= -424; 2017 = ? TOT = - 3318

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                            United States
                            Member #73904
                            April 28, 2009
                            14903 Posts
                            Posted: January 16, 2012, 10:50 am - IP Logged

On MUSL's web site is a list of historical games  http://www.musl.com/musl_games.html  Other than Powerball, it seems MUSL games have limited availability.

The only long-retired one that I can verify was a million-dollar game is Daily Millions, which has an entry on Wikipedia  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daily_Millions It's a different game, with three fields and six numbers.  The grand prize was 1 million cash.

They also retired Ca$hola last year.  The final jackpot was 4.6 million.  http://www.powerball.com/cashola/cashola_main.asp

Thanks Longarm, I'll check that stuff out.

Ca$hola retired last year? Never heard of it.

I can see why the games failed if you're trying to give multiple single million dollar prizes and you only market the game in Timbuktu somewhere.

Makes you wonder if they really didn't want it to succeed.

I'd bet if they tried it on a national scale it would work.

If I'm not mistaken, Canada has a game that rolls down secondary prizes of a million dollars after the game hits a trigger point.

dk1421's avatar - Lottery-024.jpg
                              North Carolina
                              United States
                              Member #64582
                              September 1, 2008
                              347 Posts
                              Posted: January 17, 2012, 2:11 pm - IP Logged

Thanks for asking this, TheRightPrice, I was thinking the same thing! Glad there are answers for us, in this thread.

"Don't be a schmuck, always take the cash." -Coin Toss