Welcome Guest
You last visited December 6, 2016, 5:30 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Powerball Changes

Topic closed. 36 replies. Last post 5 years ago by CDanaT.

Page 2 of 3
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #121769
January 16, 2012
13 Posts
Posted: January 17, 2012, 3:42 pm - IP Logged

goldie11111,

A lot of people agree with you on more winners vs one individual, this is from the Powerball website FAQ page:

I HAVE A GAME IDEA; YOU SHOULD GIVE 200 PEOPLE $1 MILLION EACH.

We do get mail from persons offering ideas that promise to double or triple our sales in the game. We also get a lot of mail that starts - "Everyone I talk to agrees that Powerball should pay more and smaller prizes, who needs $XXX million!!!" These writers usually get extremely angry when we try to explain why their idea won't work - so we prefer to use this standard response. Please accept this response with our apologies for not recognizing how very right you are:

(1) If you are sending in a game idea with no demand for payment: Thank you for your idea and comments, we will certainly pass it on to the design team; will run it by our very expensive patent law firm for a review of other possible patent infringement ideas (so we don't get sued); and then will develop and run qualitative and quantitative research to test the concept with a mix of players.

(2) If you are sending in a game idea and demand payment: Please understand that we cannot accept game ideas. If you have faith in your idea you may consider seeking a patent on it (at least $10,000 and two years) or you can submit the idea to a state lottery's advertising agency. You can contact your local state lottery to find a contact for their advertising agency. The agency understands the process of reviewing your game design idea and can also assist you in protecting your idea.

(3) If you believe that we should pay out $1 million prizes to lots of persons: After players told us that in focus groups, we actually started that game. No one played. Lotteries need to create a variety of games that appeal to different players. Powerball is a game that appeals to those players who want to play for large jackpots. There are other games that offer better odds (and so, lower jackpot amounts). Sales for a Powerball drawing can vary from $16 million to $200 million. You might guess which jackpot levels bring the most sales. Players vote with their dollars on the jackpot levels they prefer and we must listen to our customers. Powerball is actually two games in one – a big jackpot game and a big Cash 5 game. By adding the Power Play option, a player can even increase the Cash 5 part of the game to a $1 million cash prize. Players who want to play for that prize level – at much better odds – can do that in Powerball and, with the Power Play, can actually redesign the prize structure to fit their wishes.

http://www.powerball.com/pb_contact.asp

I like the contradrictions in 1 and 2.

If you don't demand for a payment for your intellectual property, thanks for giving us the free idea. If you demand payment for your property, sorry we don't accept ideas. What a pant-load.

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
    Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
    United States
    Member #73904
    April 28, 2009
    14903 Posts
    Posted: January 17, 2012, 4:34 pm - IP Logged

I like the contradrictions in 1 and 2.

If you don't demand for a payment for your intellectual property, thanks for giving us the free idea. If you demand payment for your property, sorry we don't accept ideas. What a pant-load.

In other words:

"There's no limit to how wildly successful your idea can be as long as you're willing to let someone else (us) take credit for it."

That's called job security for the boss and his cronies.

Orlando, FL
      United States
      Member #115785
      August 28, 2011
      259 Posts
      Posted: January 17, 2012, 5:22 pm - IP Logged

PukeFrownSad CheersScaredSad WaveyNo NodSad

OK Guys, I've been thinking about purchasing my FIRST $2.00 Powerball ticket.

I really don't like this new idea at all.

Whatever happened to $1.00 and a dream???

I have a feeling PB will have to go BACK to $1.00 and every lottery system will have to print NEW playslips all over again.

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
        Zeta Reticuli Star System
        United States
        Member #30470
        January 17, 2006
        10350 Posts
        Posted: January 17, 2012, 6:01 pm - IP Logged

PukeFrownSad CheersScaredSad WaveyNo NodSad

OK Guys, I've been thinking about purchasing my FIRST $2.00 Powerball ticket.

I really don't like this new idea at all.

Whatever happened to $1.00 and a dream???

I have a feeling PB will have to go BACK to $1.00 and every lottery system will have to print NEW playslips all over again.

Keep your old playslips, the dollar and a dream will rise again!

<insert Stars and Bars here>

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
          Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
          United States
          Member #73904
          April 28, 2009
          14903 Posts
          Posted: January 17, 2012, 10:22 pm - IP Logged

Keep your old playslips, the dollar and a dream will rise again!

<insert Stars and Bars here>

I best be cleanin' muh squirrel gun, Cap'n.

Yeeeeeeeeee haaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

psykomo's avatar - animal shark.jpg

United States
            Member #4877
            May 30, 2004
            5120 Posts
            Posted: January 18, 2012, 12:30 am - IP Logged

I think this is absolutely the STUPIDIST thing that could be done to this lottery, except for reducing the Pball nubers by 4. I would much rathur see 100 people win a Million than 1 individual win 100 Million.. Are all of the idiots running Power ball Wall Street Junkies?  Or just simple Rebublicians ? SO, now I start buying 1 ticket instead of two at a time.

The government gets most of the BIG money payouts anyway..Someone please help me understand this outragious reasoning.. Give me a break.......

goldie ?????????????????????????????????????????????

what is wrong with/GOVERNMENT CAPTALIST system??

(RAISE D PRICE of UR product 200%>>>>>>>>>>>>>>MAKE$$$$$$$$$$$)

why not RAISE sales TAX while UR AAAAAAAATTTIT!!!!!

PartyPartyPartyPartyPartyParty

Jack-in-the-Box

mediabrat's avatar - 18z0typ
              upstate NY
              United States
              Member #108791
              March 31, 2011
              549 Posts
              Posted: January 18, 2012, 11:27 am - IP Logged

wow a quote from powerball on them  having a lots of $1 mill prizesgame that noone played.  i dunno if theyre telling the truth about having a game that no one played. i dont recall ever seeing it, but then that kind of proves their point.

proff is in the pudding, and we will see how long this takes to get to $100 mll and how quick it gets to $200m

I wouldn't be surprised if they are telling the truth.  NY has a $1M jackpot game called Sweet Million that, if the rumor mill is correct, barely anyone plays.  (I can say that there haven't been many jackpot winners.)  NY Lottery usually has a "buy $5 get $3 in Quick Picks free" promotion running with this game in an attempt to stimulate sales.

Orlando, FL
                United States
                Member #115785
                August 28, 2011
                259 Posts
                Posted: January 18, 2012, 12:21 pm - IP Logged

I was sickened today as I purchased my first $2.00 Powerball ticket. I even bought LESS than I normally would. This $2.00 price hike is not gonna last, just like Bank of America and Netflix outrageous fees.

CDanaT's avatar - tiger avatar_04_hd_pictures_169016.jpg
                  TX
                  United States
                  Member #121193
                  January 4, 2012
                  1637 Posts
                  Posted: January 18, 2012, 2:50 pm - IP Logged

I was sickened today as I purchased my first $2.00 Powerball ticket. I even bought LESS than I normally would. This $2.00 price hike is not gonna last, just like Bank of America and Netflix outrageous fees.

TRP,   I wrote to our wonderful folks at Lotto HQ in Tally about that nice lil price increase. Suggested we should get the megamillions instead, They sent me back the standard "thanks for your concern" reply and tried to show all the wonderful new prizes it would bring.... Yeup, kinda like "hope n change"... We can control the price, reduce the astronomical numbers, give you more winning options and charge you twice as much for a for down the road.....NOW....Don't you feel better ? BS

Orlando, FL
                    United States
                    Member #115785
                    August 28, 2011
                    259 Posts
                    Posted: January 18, 2012, 3:49 pm - IP Logged

TRP,   I wrote to our wonderful folks at Lotto HQ in Tally about that nice lil price increase. Suggested we should get the megamillions instead, They sent me back the standard "thanks for your concern" reply and tried to show all the wonderful new prizes it would bring.... Yeup, kinda like "hope n change"... We can control the price, reduce the astronomical numbers, give you more winning options and charge you twice as much for a for down the road.....NOW....Don't you feel better ? BS

Hey CDanaT,

I for one have stopped playing Florida Lotto just because of this price increase, that means it will be LESS money in their pockets, don't worry, they WILL NOTICE when they don't have enough revolving cash to pay out the Florida lotto Jackpots,

CDanaT's avatar - tiger avatar_04_hd_pictures_169016.jpg
                      TX
                      United States
                      Member #121193
                      January 4, 2012
                      1637 Posts
                      Posted: January 18, 2012, 4:04 pm - IP Logged

Hey CDanaT,

I for one have stopped playing Florida Lotto just because of this price increase, that means it will be LESS money in their pockets, don't worry, they WILL NOTICE when they don't have enough revolving cash to pay out the Florida lotto Jackpots,

Well TRP, I havent played the FL Lotto in a month, will play Fantasy 5 and Powerball(sparingly) I have noticed the jackpots for the FL Lotto increasing only a million at a time. The Powerball has hurt those increases severely since being introduced a few yrs ago

Orlando, FL
                        United States
                        Member #115785
                        August 28, 2011
                        259 Posts
                        Posted: January 18, 2012, 4:35 pm - IP Logged

Well TRP, I havent played the FL Lotto in a month, will play Fantasy 5 and Powerball(sparingly) I have noticed the jackpots for the FL Lotto increasing only a million at a time. The Powerball has hurt those increases severely since being introduced a few yrs ago

yes!!!!!!

I suspect that $2 PB will hurt it even more, let watch and see

United States
                          Member #69530
                          January 11, 2009
                          7803 Posts
                          Posted: January 18, 2012, 7:44 pm - IP Logged

I think this is absolutely the STUPIDIST thing that could be done to this lottery, except for reducing the Pball nubers by 4. I would much rathur see 100 people win a Million than 1 individual win 100 Million.. Are all of the idiots running Power ball Wall Street Junkies?  Or just simple Rebublicians ? SO, now I start buying 1 ticket instead of two at a time.

The government gets most of the BIG money payouts anyway..Someone please help me understand this outragious reasoning.. Give me a break.......

powerball should have upped the pot when florida was added to the collective given that they have a population of over 18 millon but they didnt .... i think this was a bit disingenuous... lottery officials dont give dayummm though cause its all about making more and more money just like those jackaaasses in wallstreet/banking  that sucked the tax dollars a few years back to the tune of billions.

dont think for a second that  the democrats are above reproach either given their vast social programs at others behest that needs funding.

HiFi's avatar - police

United States
                            Member #3792
                            February 21, 2004
                            198 Posts
                            Posted: January 18, 2012, 11:08 pm - IP Logged

i laugh when they say powerball now with better odds... its the same odds as mega millions and ive been playing that for years and never won more than 10 dollars.

Inland Empire
                              United States
                              Member #118116
                              October 22, 2011
                              316 Posts
                              Posted: January 18, 2012, 11:41 pm - IP Logged

The most I won was about the same. It was MM.