Welcome Guest
You last visited October 23, 2017, 1:12 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Defective scratch off ticket

Topic closed. 18 replies. Last post 6 years ago by dr65.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
Spring hill, Fl.
United States
Member #122866
February 9, 2012
3 Posts
Posted: February 9, 2012, 3:13 pm - IP Logged

The other day I won $4 in a scratch off. My hubby scractched the code on the bottom, but noticed it wasn't scratching off well and then the clerk tried. She then said the computer wasn't taking it and asked the manager. He said we would have to send it to the lottery office to get the money. This doesn't seem fair and I told him that since the ticket can get lost in the mail. This is the first time this happened. How would you handle it? We don't win very much, so $4 is a big deal to us. Thanks. Glad I found this forum.

susie

United States
    Member #111442
    May 25, 2011
    6323 Posts
    Posted: February 9, 2012, 3:44 pm - IP Logged

The other day I won $4 in a scratch off. My hubby scractched the code on the bottom, but noticed it wasn't scratching off well and then the clerk tried. She then said the computer wasn't taking it and asked the manager. He said we would have to send it to the lottery office to get the money. This doesn't seem fair and I told him that since the ticket can get lost in the mail. This is the first time this happened. How would you handle it? We don't win very much, so $4 is a big deal to us. Thanks. Glad I found this forum.

susie

There is a winning code/number on any winning scratcher/ ticket. With some states like Massachusetts's you are not allowed to scratch off that code.

However with the majority of states, you can instantly verify your winnings via the clerk or portable lotto scan checker. Because the ticket was smudged, torn, or mutilated depending on severity, should not prevent you from receiving prize. (Further investigation from lotto officials can usually determine ultimate winner.)

Spring hill, Fl.
      United States
      Member #122866
      February 9, 2012
      3 Posts
      Posted: February 9, 2012, 4:32 pm - IP Logged

Thx much. I didn't want to have to send it to the lottery (it could get stolen), but that's what we'll have to do.

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
        Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
        United States
        Member #73904
        April 28, 2009
        14903 Posts
        Posted: February 9, 2012, 4:56 pm - IP Logged

susie

I can't believe the store manager didn't just pay you the $4 and dealt with the lottery guy when he came in just for the sake of good customer service.
        I would call the lottery office and see what they say and never buy another ticket or anything else from that store.

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

dr65's avatar - black panther.jpg
          Pennsylvania
          United States
          Member #74096
          May 2, 2009
          23420 Posts
          Posted: February 9, 2012, 6:03 pm - IP Logged

Can't you take it somewhere else? Send away?? for $4???

There is a code that can be entered manually when the scan box does not work - it's on the back of the ticket. I've seen it done a hundred times.

Was the clerk/manager...uh, well....there is no way to say it except to come right out with it: Were they Patels?

They don't like trouble.

DEE88's avatar - animal doggy2.jpg
            PA
            United States
            Member #69849
            January 18, 2009
            15837 Posts
            Posted: February 9, 2012, 9:48 pm - IP Logged

There is a code that can be entered manually when the scan box does not work - it's on the back of the ticket. I've seen it done a hundred times.

Was the clerk/manager...uh, well....there is no way to say it except to come right out with it: Were they Patels?

They don't like trouble.

Boy  does that name sound familiar........Green laugh....I thought they were only in my neck of the woods...LOL...

dr65's avatar - black panther.jpg
              Pennsylvania
              United States
              Member #74096
              May 2, 2009
              23420 Posts
              Posted: February 9, 2012, 10:16 pm - IP Logged

Boy  does that name sound familiar........Green laugh....I thought they were only in my neck of the woods...LOL...

lol!! Don't let them fool you...you might think you're dealing with a Mehta, a Pawar or a Tambe...but they're just mainly all Patels. The reason

I say they don't like trouble is try and resolve a problem with money with one of them. It very nearly can't be done. They talk around the issue

until they've got you believing YOU owe THEM.

I had my tickets tallied up one day and handed them over...well the machine must not have been cleared from the last sale or something but

I got shorted about $10...I said, that's not right. Then I get the No, no, you gave me these...and the machine says what you won. Well, stood

there for 10 minutes trying to get my extra $10 (geez not like I needed it but principle comes in then) They stand tough but you can whittle them

down by standing your ground ESPECIALLY if there's more customers in the store. They like to make sales too so the longer they are in an

argument with someone, the less they sell to other people.

Now my smokeshop guy CAN'T be a Patel....I haven't seen anything like him. He's a dream and if it turns out he's one...well, he could very easily

make up for all the bad ones singlehandedly.

Spring hill, Fl.
                United States
                Member #122866
                February 9, 2012
                3 Posts
                Posted: February 11, 2012, 4:04 pm - IP Logged

Thx so much, guys. Yeah, we'll send the ticket to the lottery office with a note and hopefully they will give me my $4 (big bucks, I know) :) It's the principle of the thing. It's a new manager and the store is Winn-Dixie so I'm not happy with them at all and we always shop there! Not sure if we will now. I have to ask, what's a patel? :)

mrsinful's avatar - gambling problem.jpg
                  South Carolina
                  United States
                  Member #66774
                  November 5, 2008
                  319 Posts
                  Posted: February 11, 2012, 4:32 pm - IP Logged

They don't like trouble.

I swear I think 90 percent of all stores in South Carolina are run by patels. They also win a lot here in

South Carolina. They are also some of the top retailers here to. I will say this though, they usually treat me right,

but I dont buy single scratch offs, they will vulcher you in a heartbeat. They always have money though. So if you 

hit the pick 3 multiple times on separate tickets you dont have to go to 5 stores to get your money.

Rehab is for quitters.

Boney526's avatar - NjlpLogo
                    New Jersey
                    United States
                    Member #99032
                    October 18, 2010
                    1439 Posts
                    Posted: February 11, 2012, 4:37 pm - IP Logged

Half the members of these forums, it seems, are ignorant POS's.

If you don't think the "Patels" run a store right, open your own <snip>ed store, this is America, and you can do that.

I swear this is getting ridiculous.  I'm sure a white person would never, ever, ever, ever, ever, steal from anybody.  Or be greedy.  Or do something you dissaprove of.  Or manage a business the wrong way.

"was it a Patel"  WTF is wrong with you?  Get a life, instead of just ragging on an entire race of people based on your experience with a handful that you didn't like.  I've met white people I didn't like.  I don't go around asking if the bad managment of a store was a "Smith" or an "O' Brian" you ignorant a-hole.

This post has been automatically changed by the Lottery Post computer system to remove inappropriate content and/or spam.

United States
                      Member #111442
                      May 25, 2011
                      6323 Posts
                      Posted: February 11, 2012, 4:41 pm - IP Logged

If you don't think the "Patels" run a store right, open your own <snip>ed store, this is America, and you can do that.

I swear this is getting ridiculous.  I'm sure a white person would never, ever, ever, ever, ever, steal from anybody.  Or be greedy.  Or do something you dissaprove of.  Or manage a business the wrong way.

"was it a Patel"  WTF is wrong with you?  Get a life, instead of just ragging on an entire race of people based on your experience with a handful that you didn't like.  I've met white people I didn't like.  I don't go around asking if the bad managment of a store was a "Smith" or an "O' Brian" you ignorant a-hole.

This post has been automatically changed by the Lottery Post computer system to remove inappropriate content and/or spam.

Can you tell us what you REALLY think about us SOB white person's???   Roll Eyes

New Jersey
                        United States
                        Member #99032
                        October 18, 2010
                        1439 Posts
                        Posted: February 11, 2012, 4:54 pm - IP Logged

Can you tell us what you REALLY think about us SOB white person's???   Roll Eyes

No.  I don't care about race at all.  I didn't call anyone a SOB white person.  I called these guys SOBs, and stated that I hate some white people I met, but don't equate the rest of them as the same.  You're derailing a whole last name, which is a major last name of Indians.  What I hate is the ridiculous amount of racism surrounding common thought.  As a conservative, I hate the fact that people use racism as fodder against my parties and idealogies similar to mine.  Most of my friends are white, mainly because I live in a white dominated area.  Again, this does NOT affect my life negatively, because most of them aren't racist a-holes.  Even withit my closest friends, there's still prejiduce, although it's acceptable to a degree.  They aren't sitting there casually talking trash about the "greedy Patels."

Don't expect me not to be mad, when I see a whole casual converstion slamming Indian people, and claiming about the "Patel's" greed.  That's ignorant.

Not to mention, that it ended up being a WINN DIXIE, showing that in this case, their ignorance was wrong.

United States
                          Member #111442
                          May 25, 2011
                          6323 Posts
                          Posted: February 11, 2012, 5:11 pm - IP Logged

No.  I don't care about race at all.  I didn't call anyone a SOB white person.  I called these guys SOBs, and stated that I hate some white people I met, but don't equate the rest of them as the same.  You're derailing a whole last name, which is a major last name of Indians.  What I hate is the ridiculous amount of racism surrounding common thought.  As a conservative, I hate the fact that people use racism as fodder against my parties and idealogies similar to mine.  Most of my friends are white, mainly because I live in a white dominated area.  Again, this does NOT affect my life negatively, because most of them aren't racist a-holes.  Even withit my closest friends, there's still prejiduce, although it's acceptable to a degree.  They aren't sitting there casually talking trash about the "greedy Patels."

Don't expect me not to be mad, when I see a whole casual converstion slamming Indian people, and claiming about the "Patel's" greed.  That's ignorant.

Not to mention, that it ended up being a WINN DIXIE, showing that in this case, their ignorance was wrong.

Fair enough. I personally have never had a bad experience with Indians, just thought I would check in with you to get the particular's.

Thanks for sharing.

mrsinful's avatar - gambling problem.jpg
                            South Carolina
                            United States
                            Member #66774
                            November 5, 2008
                            319 Posts
                            Posted: February 11, 2012, 5:14 pm - IP Logged

Wow take a xanax. All people have a right to there opinion.

Rehab is for quitters.

New Jersey
                              United States
                              Member #99032
                              October 18, 2010
                              1439 Posts
                              Posted: February 11, 2012, 5:20 pm - IP Logged

This is true.  But people also have the right to tell you off if your being ignorant.