Welcome Guest
You last visited December 7, 2016, 9:19 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Cash Vs Annuity Payments

Topic closed. 98 replies. Last post 5 years ago by rdgrnr.

Page 1 of 7
PrintE-mailLink

well..... Would you rather take the payments or the cash option?..feel free to explain why....

Annuity Payments [ 13 ]  [15.12%]
Cash Option [ 73 ]  [84.88%]
Total Valid Votes [ 86 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 2 ]  
Phoenix
United States
Member #122948
February 10, 2012
4 Posts
Posted: February 10, 2012, 11:49 pm - IP Logged

I personally (before cunsulting a tax attorney or cpa aka accountant) would take the payments. i know i am pretty bad with money so to have it regulated i would feel more secure.

United States
    Member #112061
    June 9, 2011
    8776 Posts
    Posted: February 11, 2012, 12:31 am - IP Logged

The way the economy is right now were a lot states are struggling to pay the most necessary service like police, firefighters etc

who is to say you will get your payment for the next 30 years

I would rather take the cash payout and invest my money the way I wantDance

weshar75's avatar - Lottery-042.jpg
      Mcminnville, Oregon
      United States
      Member #3013
      December 13, 2003
      3051 Posts
      Posted: February 11, 2012, 12:32 am - IP Logged

I am 36 so I would take the annuity and get a will in case I died before the payments paid out.  I would will my payments to my niece she is level headed and young only 17 so she could enjoy the money if I am gone.-weshar75

Phoenix
        United States
        Member #122948
        February 10, 2012
        4 Posts
        Posted: February 11, 2012, 12:41 am - IP Logged

i dont think you can will the payments if you can awesome!!

i feel ya it would be nice to be 50 and have everything you want and still get millions in the mail

zinniagirl's avatar - flower avatar_0026.jpg
          nc
          United States
          Member #99520
          October 26, 2010
          375 Posts
          Posted: February 11, 2012, 12:42 am - IP Logged

For me it would be the cash option.   I would rather pay the taxes upfront and then only pay on the interest or profits made of the rest.  Taxes seem to go up every year!

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
            Zeta Reticuli Star System
            United States
            Member #30470
            January 17, 2006
            10351 Posts
            Posted: February 11, 2012, 1:17 am - IP Logged

I personally (before cunsulting a tax attorney or cpa aka accountant) would take the payments. i know i am pretty bad with money so to have it regulated i would feel more secure.

This has been discussed quite a bit here, but since you say you are bad with money what would you do if you won a jackpot, took thre annuity and then one of those you-need-it-now companies stared waving cash at you (which would be pennies on the dollar)?

Someone here at LP has or had a signature line, "You can always buy a better annuity".

Don't forget, what sounds like a major score on an annual basis may not be that big of a deal years down the road.

And as has been mentioned already by mrcoco5 and zinniagirl, desperate state governments and rising taxes could come into play, too.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

savagegoose's avatar - ProfilePho
              adelaide sa
              Australia
              Member #37136
              April 11, 2006
              3300 Posts
              Posted: February 11, 2012, 3:12 am - IP Logged

no matter how bad you think you are with money,the government is FAR FAR WORSE.

take the cash and run

2014 = -1016; 2015= -1409; 2016 JAN = -106; FEB= -81; MAR= -131; APR= - 87: MAY= -91; JUN= -39; JUL=-134; AUG= -124; SEP = -123; OCT= -84  NOV=- 73 TOT= -3498

keno historic = -2291 ; 2015= -603; 2016= JAN=-32, FEB= +12 , MAR= -86, APR = -77. MAY= -48, JUN= -29, JUL=-71; AUG = -52; SEPT= -43; OCT = +56 NOV = -33 TOT= -3297

United States
                Member #111442
                May 25, 2011
                6323 Posts
                Posted: February 11, 2012, 7:31 am - IP Logged

no matter how bad you think you are with money,the government is FAR FAR WORSE.

take the cash and run

I Agree!

United States
                  Member #59337
                  March 13, 2008
                  38 Posts
                  Posted: February 11, 2012, 10:06 am - IP Logged

Take the cash, invest some wisely and buy property.  Gerald O'Hara taught me that when I was a little girl.

"Why, land is the only thing in the world worth workin' for, worth fightin' for, worth dyin' for, because it's the only thing that lasts."

Phoenix
                    United States
                    Member #122948
                    February 10, 2012
                    4 Posts
                    Posted: February 11, 2012, 10:21 am - IP Logged

haha no if i did take the annuity i would never go to bj bluntwerth. you all make good points. and yes land would be a good investment

i would probably do the warren buffet start up technique.....buy some pin ball machines!!!

i searched the last time a cash vs annuity topic started it was late 2004 and it was a 1 page thread....we might beat em!!!!!

good luck to all tonight i hope you all give my jackpot more money

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                      Zeta Reticuli Star System
                      United States
                      Member #30470
                      January 17, 2006
                      10351 Posts
                      Posted: February 11, 2012, 10:29 am - IP Logged

No, more than just one since 2004.

Just type annuity in the Search feature.

http://www.lotterypost.com/search?q=annuity

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

Piaceri's avatar - sarsony1
                        Republic of Texas
                        United States
                        Member #57557
                        January 9, 2008
                        1095 Posts
                        Posted: February 11, 2012, 11:53 am - IP Logged

No one over the age of 30 should take the annuity. If you are bad with money, set up a trust with a trusted manager(s).  Even for under 30's, I'd not choose annutity. At my age, annuity is not an option. I'm within 20 years of retiring and it would sure be nice to retire or semi-retire early and have more years to spend with my future grandchildren in complete financial security.

face

singlewinnersinglewinnersinglewinner   

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                          Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
                          United States
                          Member #73904
                          April 28, 2009
                          14903 Posts
                          Posted: February 11, 2012, 12:00 pm - IP Logged

Take the cash, invest some wisely and buy property.  Gerald O'Hara taught me that when I was a little girl.

"Why, land is the only thing in the world worth workin' for, worth fightin' for, worth dyin' for, because it's the only thing that lasts."

I Agree! A lotta property, away from big cities.

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

Uff Da!'s avatar - InCelebration 001.jpg
                            Washington State
                            United States
                            Member #33973
                            February 26, 2006
                            347 Posts
                            Posted: February 11, 2012, 12:10 pm - IP Logged

Well, if you consider yourself "bad with money," why not start doing something about it?  Start by making a budget and keeping track of your expenses by category. At the end of each month look at your monthly totals and see if you are happy with how you did.  You'll most likely get much better with money quite fast that way. In a year, you'll probably conclude that taking a lump sum is better.

With a large jackpot  it should be no trick to give yourself a huge chunk (like maybe a million dollars for the current powerball jackpot) for buying a new house, car, travel, toys etc. the first year.  With smaller wins, limit your first year "allowance" to no more than ten percent of your windfall and invest the rest.  Thereafter allow yourself to spend no more than the income you earn on the investments and keep the principal invested.  Simple.  It just takes a little self control.

Self control is good.  No better time to start than the present with whatever you now have. 

No way would I ever consider "annuity!"  It wouldn't make sense at my age, but I wouldn't have considered it even in my 20s.  I can manage my money much better (and with greater flexibility) than whoever holds the annuity contract.

LottoGuyBC's avatar - Lottery-050.jpg
                              British Columbia
                              Canada
                              Member #116101
                              September 4, 2011
                              4033 Posts
                              Posted: February 11, 2012, 12:59 pm - IP Logged

Cash Now White Bounce

"You have to be in it to win it!"