Welcome Guest
You last visited December 6, 2016, 2:46 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

"What If Lotteries Were Made Illegal"

Topic closed. 33 replies. Last post 5 years ago by rdgrnr.

Page 1 of 3
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #111442
May 25, 2011
6323 Posts
Posted: February 16, 2012, 12:54 am - IP Logged

Similar to the era of Prohibition, what if public outcry and government intervention outlawed the gambling industry, including all the state run lotteries.

Smash                                                                                             No No                                                                                                    Crying

Would you try to find another venue for your lottery fix? Perhaps look for, or even form your own numbers racket?   Type

Do you think this would be a good moral step forward for our country, or see this as "Big Government" butting their nose where it didn't belong?

Hiding Behind Computer

If you were not able to gamble anymore, how would you instead spend that discretionary money?     Roll Eyes             What?

United States
    Member #123163
    February 14, 2012
    12 Posts
    Posted: February 16, 2012, 1:07 am - IP Logged

If government went through with this act It would be one of the most idiotic laws passed since marijuana prohibition back in the 30's, especially from a tax and revenue point of view. That being said I feel there would quickly be an rapid influx of organized criminal groups running numbers rackets all over the states. Similar to the Chicago mafia in the early 1900's

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
      Zeta Reticuli Star System
      United States
      Member #30470
      January 17, 2006
      10351 Posts
      Posted: February 16, 2012, 1:20 am - IP Logged

"Numbers", "The Number", or "Policy" still exists today.

Outlawing lotteries would definitely increase it - a player is going to find the action, and the "Outfit" knows this all too well.

I grew up in Northern New Jersey (way later than the early 1900s!) and it was a very common sight to see kids go into a candy store, by a newspaper (they were 5 or 10 cents then), open it to the next to last page to see the last three dollar digits at the racetrack and either say, "Yea!" or "Aw s***"".

The tracks varies so as not to leave the chance for any collusion.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

United States
        Member #111442
        May 25, 2011
        6323 Posts
        Posted: February 16, 2012, 2:03 am - IP Logged

I personally would be looking for the action. Obviously, as with the Prohibition era, there would be pools of unsavory sharks out there looking to take advantage of you, and separating you from your money.    Poke

Probably the best way to find one of these number clubs, would be word of mouth from local acquaintances.  I do not consider myself to have a gambling addiction, I just really enjoy whole process and have fun with it. And of course I'd like to get filthy rich at it along the way.   Hyper

NoShame's avatar - Lottery-030.jpg
          Indiana
          United States
          Member #104853
          January 21, 2011
          159 Posts
          Posted: February 16, 2012, 4:41 am - IP Logged

Every participating state's economy would tank if such a thing were to occur.  So this is very unlikely.

hearsetrax's avatar - 0118

United States
            Member #52345
            May 21, 2007
            2659 Posts
            Posted: February 16, 2012, 7:10 am - IP Logged

me thinks mcginnin56 needs to stay out of the magic mushroom patch if he knows whats good for him LOL

United States
              Member #111442
              May 25, 2011
              6323 Posts
              Posted: February 16, 2012, 7:31 am - IP Logged

me thinks mcginnin56 needs to stay out of the magic mushroom patch if he knows whats good for him LOL

Thanks for your magical insight hearsetrax, I'm sure your speaking from much mushroom "experience".   Crazy

Keep the "Dumb Blonde" jokes coming.........I'm in short supply lately.      Type    Green laugh

I'll let you get back to bed.......must be tired after all that thinking.  Bed

NightStalker's avatar - 50logo
                East of Columbus, OH
                United States
                Member #120843
                December 28, 2011
                451 Posts
                Posted: February 16, 2012, 7:38 am - IP Logged

I would not look for a lottery fix.  I would probably spend that money on something else, maybe a couple more trips to Wheeling Island to play the dogs.

Life's Too Short To Be Unhappy Cool

United States
                  Member #111442
                  May 25, 2011
                  6323 Posts
                  Posted: February 16, 2012, 8:35 am - IP Logged

Every participating state's economy would tank if such a thing were to occur.  So this is very unlikely.

It is with NoShame that I totally agree with you on this one! It's all about the MONEY.    I Agree!

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                    Zeta Reticuli Star System
                    United States
                    Member #30470
                    January 17, 2006
                    10351 Posts
                    Posted: February 16, 2012, 9:58 am - IP Logged

Unil this latest wave of gambling with the river boats and such, historically every time there was a gambling craze in the US it lasted about 20 years and then was outlawed all together, except for Nevada and horse race tracks.

Ticonderoga, San Francisco, Hot Sroings, Arkansas, and others were popular gambling places, icluding French Lick, Indiana, which was very popular with celbrities and gamblers.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

United States
                      Member #111442
                      May 25, 2011
                      6323 Posts
                      Posted: February 16, 2012, 10:17 am - IP Logged

Unil this latest wave of gambling with the river boats and such, historically every time there was a gambling craze in the US it lasted about 20 years and then was outlawed all together, except for Nevada and horse race tracks.

Ticonderoga, San Francisco, Hot Sroings, Arkansas, and others were popular gambling places, icluding French Lick, Indiana, which was very popular with celbrities and gamblers.

Thanks for the historical prospective Coin Toss. Thumbs Up

Kentucky
                        United States
                        Member #32652
                        February 14, 2006
                        7309 Posts
                        Posted: February 16, 2012, 10:57 am - IP Logged

Similar to the era of Prohibition, what if public outcry and government intervention outlawed the gambling industry, including all the state run lotteries.

Smash                                                                                             No No                                                                                                    Crying

Would you try to find another venue for your lottery fix? Perhaps look for, or even form your own numbers racket?   Type

Do you think this would be a good moral step forward for our country, or see this as "Big Government" butting their nose where it didn't belong?

Hiding Behind Computer

If you were not able to gamble anymore, how would you instead spend that discretionary money?     Roll Eyes             What?

Once the door was opened to create extra revenue for states, there is no looking back. Those making the public outcry will be crying even louder when they find out they will be taxed at a higher rate to make up for the lost revenues. And just like during Prohibition when the profits went to organized crime, so would the gambling profits.

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                          Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
                          United States
                          Member #73904
                          April 28, 2009
                          14903 Posts
                          Posted: February 16, 2012, 4:17 pm - IP Logged

Once the door was opened to create extra revenue for states, there is no looking back. Those making the public outcry will be crying even louder when they find out they will be taxed at a higher rate to make up for the lost revenues. And just like during Prohibition when the profits went to organized crime, so would the gambling profits.

Exactamundo. It is practically impossible to wean the government off of a revenue source once they latch onto it and find somewhere to spend the money and then start projecting what they'll get from it next year and allocate and spend it this year because it's an "emergency".

Then, if the revenue source is lost, they'll have to find some way to "pay for it".

That's where we come in.

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

haymaker's avatar - Lottery-012.jpg
                            Egg Harbor twp.south Jersey shore
                            United States
                            Member #112968
                            June 29, 2011
                            3854 Posts
                            Posted: February 16, 2012, 6:04 pm - IP Logged

"Numbers", "The Number", or "Policy" still exists today.

Outlawing lotteries would definitely increase it - a player is going to find the action, and the "Outfit" knows this all too well.

I grew up in Northern New Jersey (way later than the early 1900s!) and it was a very common sight to see kids go into a candy store, by a newspaper (they were 5 or 10 cents then), open it to the next to last page to see the last three dollar digits at the racetrack and either say, "Yea!" or "Aw s***"".

The tracks varies so as not to leave the chance for any collusion.

harry's candy store,franklin+loudon philly pa.(no longer exists, i mean the entire neighborhood)

many times we saw the cops come and close his store,haul him off to jail.maybe late w/ his payoff ?

he was always back the next day,maybe it was all a dog +pony show on payoff day,

and they were just giving him a ride to keep the $ safe,harry did'nt have a car,

and many times i seen him waiting for a bus carrying a big suitcase,i know it was full of cash. LOL

Extraordinary Popular Delusions & the Madness of Crowds    -- Charles Mackay  LL.D.

JonnyBgood07's avatar - Patriots logo1.jpg
                              Connecticut
                              United States
                              Member #61623
                              May 29, 2008
                              20581 Posts
                              Posted: February 16, 2012, 6:11 pm - IP Logged

I Agree!

..most states without big industry would be dessimated financially without the lottery proceeds.

"No matter how bad things may get, I'd like to thank my middle finger

for always sticking up for me.."