Welcome Guest
You last visited December 8, 2016, 5:30 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Superstition versus Logic.

Topic closed. 23 replies. Last post 5 years ago by uklotteryplayer.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink

Do you believe in luck or law of averages?

Someday it will be my lucky day [ 9 ]  [52.94%]
Law of averages will catch up to me. [ 3 ]  [17.65%]
One and the same [ 5 ]  [29.41%]
Total Valid Votes [ 17 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 1 ]  
Bigheadnick's avatar - badluck
Taunton, Ma
United States
Member #123005
February 11, 2012
136 Posts
Posted: February 16, 2012, 3:34 pm - IP Logged

Do you feel that luck is what you need to win? Do you use a lucky coin to scratch numbers? Lucky pencil to fill in the numbers? Have a dream one day and believe it's your lucky day? Or do you just feel that eventually the numbers will catch up to you? Maybe you take a mathemetical approach? Or do you define luck in mathematical terms?

Scratchies for the win!

We are in a two-party dictatorship. You want change ? Vote third partyThumbs Up

haymaker's avatar - Lottery-012.jpg
    Egg Harbor twp.south Jersey shore
    United States
    Member #112968
    June 29, 2011
    3856 Posts
    Posted: February 16, 2012, 4:10 pm - IP Logged

i was feeling very lucky one day on the way home from work,it was on the weekly day i buy my tix,

turned out it was'nt for lottery,but i went 14+0 that week in my nfl pool.

Extraordinary Popular Delusions & the Madness of Crowds    -- Charles Mackay  LL.D.

RL-RANDOMLOGIC's avatar - usafce

United States
      Member #59354
      March 13, 2008
      3972 Posts
      Posted: February 16, 2012, 4:17 pm - IP Logged

Do you feel that luck is what you need to win? Do you use a lucky coin to scratch numbers? Lucky pencil to fill in the numbers? Have a dream one day and believe it's your lucky day? Or do you just feel that eventually the numbers will catch up to you? Maybe you take a mathemetical approach? Or do you define luck in mathematical terms?

nick

I for one don't believe in luck, If I am playing a scratchers then the ticket will either be a winner

our it won't.  How or what I use to scratch it does not change a looser into a winner.  I think

that the lottery is a game of chance and winning does not make one lucky, nor does loosing

make one unlucky.  I also don't think the lottery can be predicted without the human element.

Math has it's place but often leaves one short of a JP.   I do believe in the supernatural to the

extent that if we could tap into it we would do much better, but like the lottery it's also evasive.

RL

Working on my Ph.D.  "University of hard Knocks"

I will consider the opinion that my winnings are a product of chance if you are willing to consider

they are not.  Many great discoveries come while searching for something else

USAF https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prime_Base_Engineer_Emergency_Force

US Flag Trump / 2016 & 2020  

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
        Zeta Reticuli Star System
        United States
        Member #30470
        January 17, 2006
        10351 Posts
        Posted: February 16, 2012, 4:26 pm - IP Logged

Since we're talking lotteries the law of averages is that you'll never win a jackpot, therefore the ones that do are just plain lucky, whether they admit it or not.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

New York's avatar - 103h4yr
          NYC
          United States
          Member #117984
          October 19, 2011
          1843 Posts
          Posted: February 16, 2012, 4:31 pm - IP Logged

In my opinion, luck is not a factor to win. The sayings about using a lucky coin or having a rabbit's foot to win is very over-rated. 

People who believe in this always lose more than winning. However, when dreams are involved, I do believe in dreams having a stronger meaning. 

As for numbers catching up to me, I believe in this because the effort I put into past winning numbers to create new winning numbers always produce positive results. 

Mathematical approaches are always my approach when playing the lottery. I use mathematics all the time because math is what helps me create winning numbers.

All in all, logic is what counts. Superstition is deadly and can cause headaches.

United States
            Member #30470
            January 17, 2006
            10351 Posts
            Posted: February 16, 2012, 5:24 pm - IP Logged

This kind of stuff happens, so:

Two players are on a dice table. A 12 should show once every 36 rolls, so our boy from Providence has a pad and pencil and counts 35 rolls without a 12 and then "sends it in". Still no 12.

Meanwhile, another player decides to bet a 12, hits it, increases his bet on it and catches two 12s back to back.

So, who was using the law of averages and who was lucky?

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

United States
              Member #112968
              June 29, 2011
              3856 Posts
              Posted: February 16, 2012, 5:34 pm - IP Logged

Two players are on a dice table. A 12 should show once every 36 rolls, so our boy from Providence has a pad and pencil and counts 35 rolls without a 12 and then "sends it in". Still no 12.

Meanwhile, another player decides to bet a 12, hits it, increases his bet on it and catches two 12s back to back.

yo coin, i guess you voted for lucky day,me too.

Extraordinary Popular Delusions & the Madness of Crowds    -- Charles Mackay  LL.D.

Bigheadnick's avatar - badluck
                Taunton, Ma
                United States
                Member #123005
                February 11, 2012
                136 Posts
                Posted: February 16, 2012, 6:04 pm - IP Logged

Fair point but if you stretch that sample out to hundreds, I believe it will average out. Personally, I don't believe in luck. At least not in the supernatural or superstitious sense. I believe in right place at the right time. I believe the more you play the better your odds. As with anything there are exceptions to any rule. The guy that never buys a ticket then hits a million on one given to him in a card. The lady that hits a million on 3 seperate tickets from the same store. I don't believe these to be "lucky" events rather exceptions to the rule.

United Kingdom
                  Member #122950
                  February 10, 2012
                  85 Posts
                  Posted: February 16, 2012, 6:44 pm - IP Logged

I think you need both logic and luck to win the jackpot rather than putting them against one another.

Suspiciousness is one way of saying that one do not want to know the truth. It is the best way to keep the mind empty and the spirit restless.

United States
                    Member #112968
                    June 29, 2011
                    3856 Posts
                    Posted: February 16, 2012, 7:05 pm - IP Logged

I think you need both logic and luck to win the jackpot rather than putting them against one another.

thats how i see it w/ the NFL but how do i apply that to lottery ?

United States
                      Member #30470
                      January 17, 2006
                      10351 Posts
                      Posted: February 16, 2012, 7:20 pm - IP Logged

Fair point but if you stretch that sample out to hundreds, I believe it will average out. Personally, I don't believe in luck. At least not in the supernatural or superstitious sense. I believe in right place at the right time. I believe the more you play the better your odds. As with anything there are exceptions to any rule. The guy that never buys a ticket then hits a million on one given to him in a card. The lady that hits a million on 3 seperate tickets from the same store. I don't believe these to be "lucky" events rather exceptions to the rule.

Bigheadnick,

Yes, if it's stretched out to hundreds, or milliions of rolls, which is what most gambling books are based on, it will always prove itself.

But in the example of the 12s on the dice game, it was knowing the law of averages that got in the one guy's way.

This refers to dice, not lotto, but it's still the law of averages - there's a bet on a crap table called a "horn" bet, that is 2, 3, 11, and 12....this is one of the highest percentage bets for the house and every gamblinb 'expert' out there will tell you it's a sucker bet and to stay away from it.

Guss what, and there is no logical explanation for this, but it happens day after day and night after nigt- parlaying a horn bet makes for some sweet payoffs - all the 'naturals' tend to follow each other, it's uncanny.

Lep

United Kingdom
                        Member #122950
                        February 10, 2012
                        85 Posts
                        Posted: February 16, 2012, 7:25 pm - IP Logged

thats how i see it w/ the NFL but how do i apply that to lottery ?

logic- no ticket means no chance of winning unless one decide to sue some lottery syndicates for one reason or another

luck- if winning the jackpot with odds of millions against you is not lucky then I don't know what luck means.

Sorry but I don't know much about NFL, I am in UK. Football=soccer

Suspiciousness is one way of saying that one do not want to know the truth. It is the best way to keep the mind empty and the spirit restless.

United States
                          Member #112968
                          June 29, 2011
                          3856 Posts
                          Posted: February 16, 2012, 7:35 pm - IP Logged

logic- no ticket means no chance of winning unless one decide to sue some lottery syndicates for one reason or another

luck- if winning the jackpot with odds of millions against you is not lucky then I don't know what luck means.

Sorry but I don't know much about NFL, I am in UK. Football=soccer

oh,sorry i equated logic w/ skill of knowing which team had a better chance.

and luck w/ the fact that many NFL games are decided on less than 4 point difference.

RL-RANDOMLOGIC's avatar - usafce

United States
                            Member #59354
                            March 13, 2008
                            3972 Posts
                            Posted: February 16, 2012, 8:09 pm - IP Logged

Since we're talking lotteries the law of averages is that you'll never win a jackpot, therefore the ones that do are just plain lucky, whether they admit it or not.

CT

Still just a matter of chance, what if the first guy would have continued betting?

Would the 12 miss a couple more rolls, each roll starts new and what happend

in the previous draws has nothing to do with the next.  When someone wins the

lottery it's a chance event.  If a person wins 2 JP's it's still chance unless they have

a system but then again, it could still be chance but not luck.  Calling someone lucky

is the result of envy and is why lucky is usually followed by the word ba$tard.  It's

really a word that allows someone to cope with the fact that chance did not work

out for them.

RL

Working on my Ph.D.  "University of hard Knocks"

I will consider the opinion that my winnings are a product of chance if you are willing to consider

they are not.  Many great discoveries come while searching for something else

USAF https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prime_Base_Engineer_Emergency_Force

US Flag Trump / 2016 & 2020  

savagegoose's avatar - ProfilePho
                              adelaide sa
                              Australia
                              Member #37136
                              April 11, 2006
                              3300 Posts
                              Posted: February 16, 2012, 8:50 pm - IP Logged

some say to me they dont believe in luck, that they create their own luck. So would buying a ticket help create your own luck? or is telling people how you will share if you win creating your own luck?

2014 = -1016; 2015= -1409; 2016 JAN = -106; FEB= -81; MAR= -131; APR= - 87: MAY= -91; JUN= -39; JUL=-134; AUG= -124; SEP = -123; OCT= -84  NOV=- 73 TOT= -3498

keno historic = -2291 ; 2015= -603; 2016= JAN=-32, FEB= +12 , MAR= -86, APR = -77. MAY= -48, JUN= -29, JUL=-71; AUG = -52; SEPT= -43; OCT = +56 NOV = -33 TOT= -3297