Welcome Guest
You last visited December 2, 2016, 2:44 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Do you know anyone that has won a big amount

Topic closed. 52 replies. Last post 5 years ago by psykomo.

Page 1 of 4
PrintE-mailLink
WV
United States
Member #107175
March 2, 2011
100 Posts
Posted: February 17, 2012, 1:47 am - IP Logged

How many of you know someone that has won a fairly big amount of money playing the lottery? Im talking about a minimum of say 25 thousand. I know 2 people that have hit cash 25 here in WV for 25k. One of tham had 2 tickets with same combo so he hit for 50 k. 2 people that hit the first 5 on the powerball for 100 k. Both of tham were a few years back whan it paid 100 k for 5 numbers instead of 200 k or 1million as it is now. Also a member at the golf course im employed at his wife hit the old Lotto America Jackpot for over 17 million. This was back in the early 1990s. She received payments for i beleive 20 years. I know she got a check every year for something like 590 thousand. I have to add this to part of the story of her winning. Her husband Carl came to the club house on a Tuesday in the early spring one day. This was probably 1 year afer the big win. At the time 9 holes walking was $7.25 regular price. On Mondays and Wednesdays if you were a senior over 60 it was $5.44. Carl had walked up on tne porch with his golf clubs and was going to play golf. He came in clubhouse and asked me what days were Senior Day . I said it was yesterday and again tomorrow. Carl than told me hed come back tomorrow and took his golf clubs and went back to his car and left. True story beleive it or not. He was ready to play golf that Tuesday but didnt because of $1.81. I found it hard to beleive at the time and still do 20 years later. Carl passed away a few years back but i beleive Marva is still alive and just received her last check i think either last year or the year befor. Anyway if you personally know of any big winners post it here please

United States
    Member #94616
    July 24, 2010
    4735 Posts
    Posted: February 17, 2012, 4:08 am - IP Logged

I had a entry level job back in the 90's which we had a client that had won the lottery.  Their account with the firm had been frozen 6 months after they opened it as they didn't pay ANY bills and every creditor they had was suing them to get paid.  They had an annuity coming in so every year it came in you would see 5 or 10 judgments get paid out and THEN the client could access the money.  It was really sad.

savagegoose's avatar - ProfilePho
      adelaide sa
      Australia
      Member #37136
      April 11, 2006
      3300 Posts
      Posted: February 17, 2012, 5:13 am - IP Logged

i dont know any personally, but know of 2 winners. 15 mill powerball, and $3 mill something else.

both could have been happier with the way things turned out. estranged families seem a common event where people think you should have or could have given them more, or invested the way they say to.  ridicule when things go wrong.

2014 = -1016; 2015= -1409; 2016 JAN = -106; FEB= -81; MAR= -131; APR= - 87: MAY= -91; JUN= -39; JUL=-134; AUG= -124; SEP = -123; OCT= -84  NOV=- 73 TOT= -3498

keno historic = -2291 ; 2015= -603; 2016= JAN=-32, FEB= +12 , MAR= -86, APR = -77. MAY= -48, JUN= -29, JUL=-71; AUG = -52; SEPT= -43; OCT = +56 NOV = -33 TOT= -3297

United States
        Member #111442
        May 25, 2011
        6323 Posts
        Posted: February 17, 2012, 7:27 am - IP Logged

Yeah, I knew of this lucky dude back in "07", who walked away with 200k for hitting all 5 white balls on the Powerball. Lucky devil .   Hyper

it was me!  LOL

CDanaT's avatar - tiger avatar_04_hd_pictures_169016.jpg
          TX
          United States
          Member #121193
          January 4, 2012
          1637 Posts
          Posted: February 17, 2012, 8:48 am - IP Logged

Had a coworker hit a mega money jackpot for a million....when she  went to collect, they offered  a check, bank transfer or the cash.

Stay Positive, Believe and good things will come your way

United States
            Member #111442
            May 25, 2011
            6323 Posts
            Posted: February 17, 2012, 9:22 am - IP Logged

Had a coworker hit a mega money jackpot for a million....when she  went to collect, they offered  a check, bank transfer or the cash.

In that situation, you should always rent a U-HAUL and have fork trucks load up the pallets of cash, and make a B-line to stuffing your mattresses.

Thumbs Up

Uff Da!'s avatar - InCelebration 001.jpg
              Washington State
              United States
              Member #33973
              February 26, 2006
              347 Posts
              Posted: February 17, 2012, 12:51 pm - IP Logged

I don't know anyone personally, but the adult son of someone I know won about $6 million a number of years ago in the state lottery.  It caused a big rift in the family as his brother expected a much larger gift than he was given.

New Jersey
                United States
                Member #123230
                February 16, 2012
                22 Posts
                Posted: February 17, 2012, 1:38 pm - IP Logged

No I dont know anyone that has won even a pick 4 straight. Just hearing some of these stories makes me want to play and win so bad.I would be happy with a 4 straight.

New York's avatar - 103h4yr
                  NYC
                  United States
                  Member #117984
                  October 19, 2011
                  1843 Posts
                  Posted: February 17, 2012, 1:45 pm - IP Logged

No I dont know anyone that has won even a pick 4 straight. Just hearing some of these stories makes me want to play and win so bad.I would be happy with a 4 straight.

I don't now these people outside of lottery post but I do know them here and they win big. Mcginnin won a 2nd prize PB in 07' (you lucky devil lol) and Rock City, a poster from our Dream Team thread hit the Pick 4 straight 3 times 50/50. 

There was also another forum member who won the Pick 5 for 50k. Another forum member matched 4 numbers (i think) on her PB ticket for last weeks huge jackpot (the $325 million one). Lastly, forum members win regularly on a day to day basis so I say that's a big return of investment. 

As for me, haven't won anything in the 20's (20k) yet but I feel it comoing soon. Thumbs Up

CDanaT's avatar - tiger avatar_04_hd_pictures_169016.jpg
                    TX
                    United States
                    Member #121193
                    January 4, 2012
                    1637 Posts
                    Posted: February 17, 2012, 2:07 pm - IP Logged

Yeah, I knew of this lucky dude back in "07", who walked away with 200k for hitting all 5 white balls on the Powerball. Lucky devil .   Hyper

it was me!  LOL

congrats MM, saw your name in the August on line list.....bet you were glad to have that before that 2009 10% NH lottery tax went into effect  Thumbs Up

Stay Positive, Believe and good things will come your way

haymaker's avatar - Lottery-012.jpg
                      Egg Harbor twp.south Jersey shore
                      United States
                      Member #112968
                      June 29, 2011
                      3850 Posts
                      Posted: February 17, 2012, 2:12 pm - IP Logged

about 10 years ago a carpenter that i work w/ at the hotel won 25gs he promptly bought a 27 foot sportfisher don't know the make,still has it.

also i suspect,but can't prove that my cousin won big,

cause he retired from his steamfitter job at 55 and moved to a small town

far away (about 10 hours behind wheel)

where he did't know anyone,

which is one of the smartest things you can do w/ a big win.

reason  i suspect something is,its not a place people go to retire,

just one of those of those small towns where half the town works at the one factory thats there.

Extraordinary Popular Delusions & the Madness of Crowds    -- Charles Mackay  LL.D.

haymaker's avatar - Lottery-012.jpg
                        Egg Harbor twp.south Jersey shore
                        United States
                        Member #112968
                        June 29, 2011
                        3850 Posts
                        Posted: February 17, 2012, 2:18 pm - IP Logged

congrats MM, saw your name in the August on line list.....bet you were glad to have that before that 2009 10% NH lottery tax went into effect  Thumbs Up

NH has a 10% lottery tax ? i thought they were the tax-phobic state.

still better then jersey at 10.8%   greedy pukes.

Extraordinary Popular Delusions & the Madness of Crowds    -- Charles Mackay  LL.D.

Bigheadnick's avatar - badluck
                          Taunton, Ma
                          United States
                          Member #123005
                          February 11, 2012
                          136 Posts
                          Posted: February 17, 2012, 4:15 pm - IP Logged

An old friend of my family won the megabucks I believe twice. Not sure how much but I know it was millions on one of them. He lives in Wyoming now (smart man)

Bigheadnick's avatar - badluck
                            Taunton, Ma
                            United States
                            Member #123005
                            February 11, 2012
                            136 Posts
                            Posted: February 17, 2012, 4:26 pm - IP Logged

dam, just found out he passed away. RIP Henry T.

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                              Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
                              United States
                              Member #73904
                              April 28, 2009
                              14903 Posts
                              Posted: February 17, 2012, 6:58 pm - IP Logged

it was me!  LOL

Hey, congratulations, mcginnin! That's the first I've heard of that!
                              Ok, two questions:
                              Were they QP's or your picks?
                              And do you play those numbers anymore?

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke