Welcome Guest
You last visited January 24, 2017, 12:02 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

7 people from WV winning $2M powerball

Topic closed. 26 replies. Last post 5 years ago by HoLeeKau.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
HiFi's avatar - police

United States
Member #3792
February 21, 2004
198 Posts
Posted: March 1, 2012, 1:06 am - IP Logged

how does 7 people from west virginia match all 5 numbers with the powerplay option for the 2/29 drawing.  never seen something like this, unless they are all bought by 1 guy who really liked those numbers.  there was 4 other tickets matching all 5 numbers without powerplay and they were bought in CO, IA, IL, TX.CO, I CO, IA, IL, TX

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
    Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
    United States
    Member #73904
    April 28, 2009
    14903 Posts
    Posted: March 1, 2012, 1:20 am - IP Logged

how does 7 people from west virginia match all 5 numbers with the powerplay option for the 2/29 drawing.  never seen something like this, unless they are all bought by 1 guy who really liked those numbers.  there was 4 other tickets matching all 5 numbers without powerplay and they were bought in CO, IA, IL, TX.CO, I CO, IA, IL, TX

That is a little odd.

Maybe a family all playin' the same birthday numbers.

Or somebody bought tickets for their whole family.

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

United States
      Member #24439
      October 22, 2005
      638 Posts
      Posted: March 1, 2012, 2:05 am - IP Logged

A mini jackpot for Powerball to be paid out after a win.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
        mid-Ohio
        United States
        Member #9
        March 24, 2001
        19903 Posts
        Posted: March 1, 2012, 2:31 am - IP Logged

It will be interesting to see if a small state like WV pays the $21M itself, gets some help from MUSL or use their liability cap since this is unusual.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

s5thomps's avatar - Lottery-033.jpg
          Hard Luck, Ak
          United States
          Member #23472
          October 13, 2005
          279 Posts
          Posted: March 1, 2012, 3:20 am - IP Logged

There has been cases where an individual will play a set of numbers on a "hunch" and will buy multiple tickets with the same numbers for a particular drawing and have WON! I have a feeling that this is the case in West Virginia. One way to tell if all of the5/6 winners came from the same retailer. If that is the case the what a way to score and congrats to the person/s who brought those tickets. Just think if they would have brought 50 tickets with powerplay and won 100 million. That is over twice the advertised jackpot. I am sure the lottery commission would have been in a tizzy and a full investigation would follow to figure out a way not to honor those tickets. If it is one individual then 14 million dollars pre tax is a major score!

Cheers

"We make a living by what you get, You make a LIFE by what you give!"

Sir Winston ChurchillSun Smiley

savagegoose's avatar - ProfilePho
            adelaide sa
            Australia
            Member #37136
            April 11, 2006
            3316 Posts
            Posted: March 1, 2012, 3:29 am - IP Logged

but did they all have the same PB number or 7 diff numbers?

2014 = -1016; 2015= -1409; 2016  = -1171; 2017 = ?  TOT =  -3596

keno historic = -2291 ; 2015= -603; 2016= -424; 2017 = ? TOT = - 3318

kyokushin187's avatar - evildead2
              cornwall,ct
              United States
              Member #102636
              December 23, 2010
              245 Posts
              Posted: March 1, 2012, 7:02 am - IP Logged

uh oh! I can't believe the lottery super computer didn't catch that one.lol

Kyokushin karate a.k.a.

" The strongest Karate"

CDanaT's avatar - tiger avatar_04_hd_pictures_169016.jpg
                TX
                United States
                Member #121193
                January 4, 2012
                1637 Posts
                Posted: March 1, 2012, 7:42 am - IP Logged

I am leaning towards a clerk error.....hitting the wrong keys for advanced draws  and made multiples for this draw instead.... I have had a clerk here in FL tell me they can't "undo" the ticket once it is done.....Don't know if that's true or not.

Stay Positive, Believe and good things will come your way

United States
                  Member #111442
                  May 25, 2011
                  6323 Posts
                  Posted: March 1, 2012, 7:44 am - IP Logged

There has been cases where an individual will play a set of numbers on a "hunch" and will buy multiple tickets with the same numbers for a particular drawing and have WON! I have a feeling that this is the case in West Virginia. One way to tell if all of the5/6 winners came from the same retailer. If that is the case the what a way to score and congrats to the person/s who brought those tickets. Just think if they would have brought 50 tickets with powerplay and won 100 million. That is over twice the advertised jackpot. I am sure the lottery commission would have been in a tizzy and a full investigation would follow to figure out a way not to honor those tickets. If it is one individual then 14 million dollars pre tax is a major score!

Cheers

Like with the "fortune cookie" incident in "05" in NY, fraud was suspected initially, but all those playing the fortune cookie #'s  walked away with

$100K. In the situation where very large numbers of second tier prizes come up, the lotteries protect themselves with disclaimers to limit their liability

to certain thresholds. Beyond that it is a pari-matuel payment only.

United States
                    Member #63434
                    July 28, 2008
                    5 Posts
                    Posted: March 1, 2012, 11:56 am - IP Logged

Could be good ole Jack Whitaker maybe ?  Smile

Left Coast
                      United States
                      Member #122298
                      January 28, 2012
                      125 Posts
                      Posted: March 1, 2012, 12:03 pm - IP Logged

Cheers

Maybe someone who studies numbers saw something they really liked and went for it. I would be curious if it is one person, perhaps they have a dozen other tickets that matched 4 of 5.

Left Coast
                        United States
                        Member #122298
                        January 28, 2012
                        125 Posts
                        Posted: March 1, 2012, 12:09 pm - IP Logged

That is a little odd.

Maybe a family all playin' the same birthday numbers.

Or somebody bought tickets for their whole family.

Well, the numbers were all between 1 and 26. Either birthdays or the starting five of the WVU basketball team.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                          mid-Ohio
                          United States
                          Member #9
                          March 24, 2001
                          19903 Posts
                          Posted: March 1, 2012, 12:39 pm - IP Logged

It could have been one person buying seven tickets trying to hit the winning PB number but covered his bets with Power Play just in case he didn't pick the right PB#. 

I've never understood it but when there are only 5 numbers to pick, some players are so sure they can get all five that they often play them multiple times.  I heard of several cases of players doing that and winning less than they hoped for.  It happened several times with the local pick5 game in my state before it was changed to parti-mutel. 

A few years ago a guy bought 20 Buckeye5 tickets with the same five numbers and won but the state had a liability cap of one million dollar and instead of winning 20 $100K prizes he shared the $1M with another player who matched 5 also.  He sued the state claiming he wasn't aware of the cap but it was on the play slips and he had to settle for what they gave him.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

dallascowboyfan's avatar - tiana the-princess-and-the-frog.jpg
                            Oklahoma
                            United States
                            Member #82391
                            November 12, 2009
                            6305 Posts
                            Posted: March 1, 2012, 1:24 pm - IP Logged

WOW!!!!!

THRIFTY's avatar - great seal_obverse.jpg
                              NEW YORK
                              United States
                              Member #90535
                              April 29, 2010
                              12118 Posts
                              Posted: March 1, 2012, 2:16 pm - IP Logged

MEGA MILLIONS AND POWERBALL JACKPOTS WON WITH 1 QUICK PICK TICKET.