Welcome Guest
You last visited December 7, 2016, 5:34 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Well I'm back to feeling addicted to playing the lottery again

Topic closed. 20 replies. Last post 5 years ago by CestLaVie.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #122468
February 1, 2012
530 Posts
Posted: March 1, 2012, 11:09 am - IP Logged

I was doing better the last few months with playing the lottery. But my anxieties got the better of me last week and I started buying more scratch tickets again, not to mention the weekly PB and MM and also started playing my state lottery game daily. It started when the new scratch tickets came out last week the ones that say you can win 5k, 2.5k, 1K, or 500 a week for life. The odds of winning the big prize is pretty much impossible yet I can't seem to help myself and was buying lots of tickets.  For years I was someone who was not a gambler and was always conservative when it came to money (that could be because I've never had jobs that paid much), then I started thinking that the only way to be able to pay for my daughter's college would be to win the lottery (sorry for repeating myself I mentioned that on another post). I feel like there are two sides to myself, the side that says do not throw money down the drain because the odds are not in your favor and then the other side that says maybe a miracle will happen and I keep holding onto that dream even though I would have a better chance of getting struck by lightning than winning the big jackpot.  Everytime I buy a scratch ticket or a PB, MM ticket I have that dream and then as soon as I scratch that ticket or find out the next morning that the winning numbers were not mine that dream vanishes.  I just hope that I can get a handle on things. I always make sure my bills are paid first.  Do other people feel like they are getting addicted to playing?

mrsinful's avatar - gambling problem.jpg
    South Carolina
    United States
    Member #66774
    November 5, 2008
    319 Posts
    Posted: March 1, 2012, 11:28 am - IP Logged

I was doing better the last few months with playing the lottery. But my anxieties got the better of me last week and I started buying more scratch tickets again, not to mention the weekly PB and MM and also started playing my state lottery game daily. It started when the new scratch tickets came out last week the ones that say you can win 5k, 2.5k, 1K, or 500 a week for life. The odds of winning the big prize is pretty much impossible yet I can't seem to help myself and was buying lots of tickets.  For years I was someone who was not a gambler and was always conservative when it came to money (that could be because I've never had jobs that paid much), then I started thinking that the only way to be able to pay for my daughter's college would be to win the lottery (sorry for repeating myself I mentioned that on another post). I feel like there are two sides to myself, the side that says do not throw money down the drain because the odds are not in your favor and then the other side that says maybe a miracle will happen and I keep holding onto that dream even though I would have a better chance of getting struck by lightning than winning the big jackpot.  Everytime I buy a scratch ticket or a PB, MM ticket I have that dream and then as soon as I scratch that ticket or find out the next morning that the winning numbers were not mine that dream vanishes.  I just hope that I can get a handle on things. I always make sure my bills are paid first.  Do other people feel like they are getting addicted to playing?

Welcome back friend. On a serious note though, you pay your bills first and that is a good thing. Just like any vice, people go off now and

then. Sometimes casual drinkers get plastered and sometimes people go off gambling. What matters is that if you think you have a problem with it

then try to get some help. I go off bad sometimes myself and its a sick feeling. Best of luck to you in life and the lottery.

Rehab is for quitters.

MzDuffleBaglady's avatar - Lottery-018.jpg

United States
      Member #81314
      October 16, 2009
      18991 Posts
      Posted: March 1, 2012, 11:32 am - IP Logged

Yes,

Just as bad, figuring out the winning pick 3, and not play it, playing it a day before.

Hoping things get better for you with those scratchers, lol, I buy them sometimes.  I feel like I'm scratching off gunpowder, lmaoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

Good Luck.

The Struggle is real!

NightStalker's avatar - 50logo
        East of Columbus, OH
        United States
        Member #120843
        December 28, 2011
        451 Posts
        Posted: March 1, 2012, 11:32 am - IP Logged

I have played the lottery most of my adult life.  Off and on in my 20's, but more consistently as I got into my 30's and now into my 40's.  I rarely play pick 3 or pick 4, mostly MM or PB and lately the Classic Lotto.  I understand the dream.  I have those same kinds of dreams as probably everyone here does.

You sound somewhat desperate as if you must have the money or your children's futures are in doubt.  I have three kids.  We have told them that we will help them as much as we can while they are in college, but we made it clear that the vast majority of their schooling is going to be paid by student loans or scholarships.  As much as you want to help your children, sometimes you just can't do as much as you'd like, so do what you can and be happy with that.

I wouldn't say that I am addicted to playing the lottery.  I could afford to spend more than I do.  But that would mean one less dinner out with the family or sacrificing something else we enjoy.

Good luck to you.

Life's Too Short To Be Unhappy Cool

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
          mid-Ohio
          United States
          Member #9
          March 24, 2001
          19826 Posts
          Posted: March 1, 2012, 12:15 pm - IP Logged

I like playing the lotteries too, but only the jackpot games.  I'm more addicted to being cheap than spending money so that limits my playing.  Also, I created a system for picking the numbers I play that is so time consuming that some time I can't come up with any combinations to play before the drawing and I won't play any numbers I did personal pick.

Sounds like you don't spend much time thinking about what you're going to play before buying your tickets, perhaps if you did you wouldn't have time to buy so many.  Good luck.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

RedStang's avatar - tallman zps6gf4inoc.jpg
            NY
            United States
            Member #121961
            January 21, 2012
            3157 Posts
            Posted: March 1, 2012, 12:22 pm - IP Logged

It's so easy to become addicted. The worst thing to do is read  the winner storys. Makes you want to play more then you should. Winter time is boring for me, so I play 5 or 6 different games a week for fun,  dollar a day, only if i have extra cash.

LucyMontgomery's avatar - Jadyen

United States
              Member #123813
              February 29, 2012
              43 Posts
              Posted: March 1, 2012, 12:23 pm - IP Logged

I completely understand because I literally have nothing else to lose and this would actually be my only income coming in if I were to win. BUT, I have prioritized because I'm dead broke right now, so I only myself $6 a month on tickets. Not all at once, just about three tix every two weeks. It really is money down the drain and sometimes you have to accept that it's just not your game. BUT you have to be in it to win it ;) very conflicted. I don't play scratch offs thoough they have better odds. I think you should match whatever you put into your games? Like if you spend $20 a month, also put away $20 in your savings account that same month. And always, calculate how much you spend a year and how much you've lost. That realization will set you straight in a sec!

NEW YORK
                United States
                Member #90535
                April 29, 2010
                11978 Posts
                Posted: March 1, 2012, 12:24 pm - IP Logged

HOW TO WIN THE LOTTERY by not playing.  SAVE YOUR MONEY.

Pennsylvania
                  United States
                  Member #78052
                  August 6, 2009
                  785 Posts
                  Posted: March 1, 2012, 12:46 pm - IP Logged

When you are in the middle of it all the time your propective gets dim, so walk away for a bit and come back s l o w.

Watch your ebb and flow with your luck, play on paper until your 'sights' get better and start winning on paper then HIT EM HARD with a nice bet.

Wish you the best with it and hope you get clarity soon.

Take two asprin and call me! 

Life Is Wonderful If You Don't Weaken

dallascowboyfan's avatar - tiana the-princess-and-the-frog.jpg
                    Oklahoma
                    United States
                    Member #82391
                    November 12, 2009
                    6290 Posts
                    Posted: March 1, 2012, 1:39 pm - IP Logged

Hang in there shyguitar........

United States
                      Member #111442
                      May 25, 2011
                      6323 Posts
                      Posted: March 1, 2012, 2:08 pm - IP Logged

I completely understand because I literally have nothing else to lose and this would actually be my only income coming in if I were to win. BUT, I have prioritized because I'm dead broke right now, so I only myself $6 a month on tickets. Not all at once, just about three tix every two weeks. It really is money down the drain and sometimes you have to accept that it's just not your game. BUT you have to be in it to win it ;) very conflicted. I don't play scratch offs thoough they have better odds. I think you should match whatever you put into your games? Like if you spend $20 a month, also put away $20 in your savings account that same month. And always, calculate how much you spend a year and how much you've lost. That realization will set you straight in a sec!

I'm sorry to ask....but what is that vibrating Avatar?

lottoAficionado's avatar - LottoGamesBalls White.png
                        Orange City, Florida
                        United States
                        Member #123235
                        February 16, 2012
                        12 Posts
                        Posted: March 1, 2012, 6:41 pm - IP Logged

There was a time in my life that I would spend about $20 - $30 in lottery games, hopping that the more I played would also increase my chances of winning. It was my strong belief that by the laws of logic you can lose so many times until by default you are forced to win. Well, not only was I deceiving myself, but I was making the most common of all lottery players mistake: “trusting on the fairness of the lottery system”. 

The lottery system was not developed for the purpose to grant citizens (players) a chance at being wealthy. The system was created for the sole purpose to create state revenues. Simply stated, the lottery system is a state funded business; and, therefore, its purpose is to ensure increase in profits annually. Consequently, and just because its goal is to profit, the system was not designed to be fair.

Fortunately, I was able to find good literature on the subject, and commenced my own interned research into a better understanding of the lottery system. This is why now I spend less money on lottery games, I play smarter and take control in selecting the numbers, and have been able to win small amounts of money from-time-to-time (although still working in making my first million). Much like any other addiction out there, the more you learn about it (educate yourself), and the more you understand how the system works (get reliable source information), the better you can deal with it.

Yes, there is a lot of unpleasant truth about the lottery system kept from the general public, but there is also a considerable amount of information and resources to help you make the system give you a fair advantage (so the money you invest in the system is not a total waist). 

Search for the “Lottery Solution” or “Smart Numbers QuickPick” over the internet and gain knowledge from all the information offered. I do not know if the e-books are still available for free, but there is still free information out there.

imagine's avatar - WINGS

United States
                          Member #85047
                          January 7, 2010
                          102 Posts
                          Posted: March 1, 2012, 7:16 pm - IP Logged

It's noble that you want to pay for your daughters college education, but she can always go to college with a loan.

So many stories of JP winners who buy one or two tickets a week, or hardly ever.

A miracle can find you for a dollar.  Chasing a miracle won't make it show up.

Keep your head up.

grwurston's avatar - Cute animals_Spider.jpg
                            Winning makes me smile.
                            bel air maryland
                            United States
                            Member #90251
                            April 24, 2010
                            4870 Posts
                            Posted: March 1, 2012, 7:38 pm - IP Logged

Instead of trying for the jackpot games with the near impossible 175 million to one odds, why not try the pick 3? It's only 1,000 to one. You won't get wealthy but 3 or 4 straight hits a month wouldn't hurt.

"You can observe a lot just by watching." Yogi Berra, Hall of Fame baseball player.

The numbers will tell you what numbers to play. Pay attention to the numbers.

Don't just think outside the box, crush it.

savagegoose's avatar - ProfilePho
                              adelaide sa
                              Australia
                              Member #37136
                              April 11, 2006
                              3300 Posts
                              Posted: March 1, 2012, 7:45 pm - IP Logged

hi shyGrl. ;) we all have times we go over board. and various strategies can be used to differring success.

delaying the fix via buying long dated games, ie instead if instants, where the thrill is  right now and once its gone you are left empty, for  a ticket thats drawn next week. or scratch 1 panel a day off the ticket, taking a week to actually see if you won?

budget a set amount, like $3 a week  for all gambling, and stick to it.

save your gambling money till you can buy an oz of silver, and save that for the kids schooling.

being a precious metal its harder to  break into and sell for tickets. and its value goes up with inflation , not down like a bank account.

2014 = -1016; 2015= -1409; 2016 JAN = -106; FEB= -81; MAR= -131; APR= - 87: MAY= -91; JUN= -39; JUL=-134; AUG= -124; SEP = -123; OCT= -84  NOV=- 73 TOT= -3498

keno historic = -2291 ; 2015= -603; 2016= JAN=-32, FEB= +12 , MAR= -86, APR = -77. MAY= -48, JUN= -29, JUL=-71; AUG = -52; SEPT= -43; OCT = +56 NOV = -33 TOT= -3297