Welcome Guest
You last visited January 21, 2017, 5:35 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Why can't the US be like other countries and not tax lottery winners?

Topic closed. 35 replies. Last post 5 years ago by RL-RANDOMLOGIC.

Page 2 of 3
PrintE-mailLink
jarasan's avatar - new patrick.gif
Harbinger
D.C./MD.
United States
Member #44103
July 30, 2006
5587 Posts
Posted: March 14, 2012, 10:16 pm - IP Logged

Govt a$$ho1e'$ pensions, healthcare, subsidies, debt servicing, Dept of Commerce, Dept of Education, EPA, IRS, TSA, FCC, FTC, FDA, The FED, Congreffs,  ATF, DOJ, HHS, Dept of Agriculture,  Dept of energy, union kick backs, Solyndra, GM, Lehman, Goldman, Michelle Obamas tennis shoes and vacations,  the list is very long. Release the pigs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bet on Oscar Mayer!

haymaker's avatar - Lottery-012.jpg
    Egg Harbor twp.south Jersey shore
    United States
    Member #112968
    June 29, 2011
    3857 Posts
    Posted: March 14, 2012, 10:49 pm - IP Logged

Govt a$$ho1e'$ pensions, healthcare, subsidies, debt servicing, Dept of Commerce, Dept of Education, EPA, IRS, TSA, FCC, FTC, FDA, The FED, Congreffs,  ATF, DOJ, HHS, Dept of Agriculture,  Dept of energy, union kick backs, Solyndra, GM, Lehman, Goldman, Michelle Obamas tennis shoes and vacations,  the list is very long. Release the pigs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bet on Oscar Mayer!

I never bet the fav.(oscar mayer)

did they have a deitz&watson or a hatfield ?

Extraordinary Popular Delusions & the Madness of Crowds    -- Charles Mackay  LL.D.

Luffy's avatar - Buggy mouth_closed.jpg
      NC
      United States
      Member #123257
      February 17, 2012
      19 Posts
      Posted: March 14, 2012, 11:48 pm - IP Logged

Getting taxed on the lottery in the USA isnt a big deal to me.

The way I see it is that you are playing a game with a chance to get basically free money to you.

If you get too greedy and dont want to pay taxes, then the government will send out a couple of police and fbi swat teams along with the irs to collect their due.

Bigheadnick's avatar - badluck
        Taunton, Ma
        United States
        Member #123005
        February 11, 2012
        136 Posts
        Posted: March 15, 2012, 12:35 am - IP Logged

If they're going to tax your winnings then they should post the after tax winnings as the jackpot so you never actually see the money they're taking from you.

Scratchies for the win!

We are in a two-party dictatorship. You want change ? Vote third partyThumbs Up

NY
          United States
          Member #23835
          October 16, 2005
          3502 Posts
          Posted: March 15, 2012, 2:26 am - IP Logged

Hi,

Why does the US have to tax all lottery winners. In other countries like Canada and the UK, anyone who wins a jackpot prize or any prize gets to keep their entire winnings and not have to pay taxes on their winnings. I am someone who has never made much money in their job and  feel we are taxed enough. When I hear someone in Canada who wins 1 Million dollars it's great to know they actually get the entire amount and do not have to deal with most of that amount being eaten up by taxes. Don't get me wrong, I'd be thrilled to win anything but the idea of being taxed on even a 1,000 win is depressing. In all actuality it sounds like a falsehood saying someone won a million dollars when it isn't a million after paying out taxes. I guess I'm just wishing we could be like Canada and other countries who let people keep their entire winnings. Just wondered what other people think.

Let me make sure I understand you correctly. You think you're taxed enough already, but when somebody else wins $100 million in the lottery you think that instead of them paying tax on that income you and everyone else should chip in and pay the taxes for them? Is that right?

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
            mid-Ohio
            United States
            Member #9
            March 24, 2001
            19901 Posts
            Posted: March 15, 2012, 2:50 am - IP Logged

Hi,

Why does the US have to tax all lottery winners. In other countries like Canada and the UK, anyone who wins a jackpot prize or any prize gets to keep their entire winnings and not have to pay taxes on their winnings. I am someone who has never made much money in their job and  feel we are taxed enough. When I hear someone in Canada who wins 1 Million dollars it's great to know they actually get the entire amount and do not have to deal with most of that amount being eaten up by taxes. Don't get me wrong, I'd be thrilled to win anything but the idea of being taxed on even a 1,000 win is depressing. In all actuality it sounds like a falsehood saying someone won a million dollars when it isn't a million after paying out taxes. I guess I'm just wishing we could be like Canada and other countries who let people keep their entire winnings. Just wondered what other people think.

If you win less than $600 per ticket you only get taxed if you voluntarily put it on your tax returns, the states don't get enough information to send you a W-2G or 1099.  If you win more than $600, you should be glad to treat it like regular income.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

United States
              Member #111442
              May 25, 2011
              6323 Posts
              Posted: March 15, 2012, 6:12 am - IP Logged

Let me make sure I understand you correctly. You think you're taxed enough already, but when somebody else wins $100 million in the lottery you think that instead of them paying tax on that income you and everyone else should chip in and pay the taxes for them? Is that right?

Bravo....Bravo! Hurray!

SergeM's avatar - slow icon.png
                Economy class
                Belgium
                Member #123700
                February 27, 2012
                4035 Posts
                Posted: March 15, 2012, 7:26 am - IP Logged

If you win less than $600 per ticket you only get taxed if you voluntarily put it on your tax returns, the states don't get enough information to send you a W-2G or 1099.  If you win more than $600, you should be glad to treat it like regular income.

I learned some accountancy and have a little problem there.

Normally you are taxed on winnings, and winnings are payouts minus costs. So you have to declare the costs too.
                If you won 900 and it cost you 1000, then you should have a loss of 100. That loss you should declare and ask the state to lower your taxes by for example 25%*100(loss)= 25 USD. Why would you pay tax on 900 if you you are in fact bankrupt?
                In the costs should be your transportation, your computer costs, your pen, your clothes and so on.

Any payout should be taxed with the lottery and only shown net!

Knowing that the players are losing from the lottery organizer, all winnings have to be tax free.

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                  Zeta Reticuli Star System
                  United States
                  Member #30470
                  January 17, 2006
                  10391 Posts
                  Posted: March 15, 2012, 7:39 pm - IP Logged

SergeM,

It just doesn't work that way.

You're going to have a pen, you're going to have clothes, no write offs there.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

NightStalker's avatar - 50logo
                    East of Columbus, OH
                    United States
                    Member #120843
                    December 28, 2011
                    451 Posts
                    Posted: March 16, 2012, 12:16 am - IP Logged

Normally you are taxed on winnings, and winnings are payouts minus costs. So you have to declare the costs too.
                    If you won 900 and it cost you 1000, then you should have a loss of 100. That loss you should declare and ask the state to lower your taxes by for example 25%*100(loss)= 25 USD. Why would you pay tax on 900 if you you are in fact bankrupt?
                    In the costs should be your transportation, your computer costs, your pen, your clothes and so on.

Knowing that the players are losing from the lottery organizer, all winnings have to be tax free.

Keep your receipts from the purchases of the tickets and you can deduct them at the end of the year on your taxes to help offset any winnings that you won during the year that are taxable (anything over $600 lump sum).  Not sure if you can deduct more than you actually won.  I would guess that you cannot.

Life's Too Short To Be Unhappy Cool

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                      mid-Ohio
                      United States
                      Member #9
                      March 24, 2001
                      19901 Posts
                      Posted: March 16, 2012, 1:16 am - IP Logged

When you itemize, you also get a standard deduction for loses.  Unless your total loses with the deduction you can claim against your winnings exceed that amount you'll be playing extra taxes on your winnings as if they were regular income.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

savagegoose's avatar - ProfilePho
                        adelaide sa
                        Australia
                        Member #37136
                        April 11, 2006
                        3316 Posts
                        Posted: March 16, 2012, 2:33 am - IP Logged

i saw someone mention me or at least , Australian lotto. its true we all pay tax on ticketds we purchase, AT THETIME THEY ARE BOUGHT. there are no statetaxes its all federal and they  divy it out tothe states based on which state needs bribing in the next election.

anyhow all the players pay tax at purchase time., and the winner has it pre paid for him by all the losers.

i guess its doubly sweet for the winners out here.

2014 = -1016; 2015= -1409; 2016  = -1171; 2017 = ?  TOT =  -3596

keno historic = -2291 ; 2015= -603; 2016= -424; 2017 = ? TOT = - 3318

psykomo's avatar - animal shark.jpg

United States
                          Member #4877
                          May 30, 2004
                          5143 Posts
                          Posted: March 16, 2012, 4:54 am - IP Logged

Jester Laugh>>>>>>>>our gov is on a mission 4>>>>>>>>>>>>>GOD!

they>>>>>>>>need the money 2 help the pur "poor">>>>>>>>>>

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>PeoPles!

they print in GOD we trust on the back of the $money$

our gov is a g@@d and loving>>>>>>>>gov>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

yes, they luv the little children 2

LoveLoviesLove     (they R a very good gov) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jester

dallascowboyfan's avatar - tiana the-princess-and-the-frog.jpg
                            Oklahoma
                            United States
                            Member #82391
                            November 12, 2009
                            6305 Posts
                            Posted: March 16, 2012, 5:04 am - IP Logged

Greed..!

I Agree!.......Thumbs Up........

London
                              United Kingdom
                              Member #122713
                              February 6, 2012
                              21 Posts
                              Posted: March 16, 2012, 6:28 am - IP Logged

Hi,

Hi,

Actually, the UK lottery IS taxed. Although the final jackpot is exempt from any taxes, out of every ticket sold 12 pence goes to the government as duty. So yes it is much more favourable than the conditions in the US but to be fair Americans and Europeans are two different breeds. If a lottery advertised a $100M jackpot here only to give 50M or so to the winner... let's say that just wouldn't fly. That's riot material in our minds, they wouldn't go that far hehe.