Welcome Guest
You last visited December 8, 2016, 9:11 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Why can't the US be like other countries and not tax lottery winners?

Topic closed. 35 replies. Last post 5 years ago by RL-RANDOMLOGIC.

Page 3 of 3
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #122468
February 1, 2012
530 Posts
Posted: March 16, 2012, 10:00 am - IP Logged

If they're going to tax your winnings then they should post the after tax winnings as the jackpot so you never actually see the money they're taking from you.

That's exactly what I think they should do.  I certainly understand everyone needs to pay their taxes it's just very disheartening to have the lottery say a 1 million prize or any prize that is not really that amount once taxes are taken out and taxes are paid by the person.

United States
    Member #122468
    February 1, 2012
    530 Posts
    Posted: March 16, 2012, 10:12 am - IP Logged

Let me make sure I understand you correctly. You think you're taxed enough already, but when somebody else wins $100 million in the lottery you think that instead of them paying tax on that income you and everyone else should chip in and pay the taxes for them? Is that right?

I'm not saying that I expect other's to pay taxes on what I win but I do resent the fact that the lottery should really not be saying a 1 million jackpot or other winnings when the person does not get the full amount. I certainly understand we all have to pay our taxes but it's very different when the lottery says you can win a 1 million dollars on a scratch ticket or 2nd place in BP or MM but with taxes taken out it is not the 1 million they claimed.

jarasan's avatar - new patrick.gif
      Harbinger
      D.C./MD.
      United States
      Member #44103
      July 30, 2006
      5583 Posts
      Posted: March 16, 2012, 11:05 am - IP Logged

Amazing stuff there are people? here that believe we should pay taxes on money that was wagered by other people? (taxpayers?) and the state already already keeps all the house money to pay the GD pensions and and all the other crap they said they wouldn' t spend it on.   You sheep. As if they need to more of the money you won,  f'ing thieves.

from MDSL:

Lottery Revenue Exceeds $519 Million for State’s General Fund;
      Slots Program Generates Nearly $50 Million for Education Trust Fund

The Maryland Lottery added another year to the record books. The agency generated $1.714 billion in sales in fiscal year 2011, breaking its sales record for the 14th year in a row. The Maryland Lottery also contributed $519.37 million to the state’s General Fund, an increase of $8.86 million from last fiscal year. This revenue is used to support important initiatives, such as education, public safety, health and environmental programs. This revenue total makes the Maryland Lottery the fourth largest contributor to the state’s coffers after sales, income and corporate taxes. Fiscal year-end highlights include:

Sales of $1.714 billion, an increase of $7.83 million from last fiscal yearRevenue of $519.37 million, $8.86 million more than last fiscal year and the second-highest return in the Maryland Lottery’s historyCommissions earned by Lottery retailers totaled $113.7 millionPrizes paid to players reached more than $1.03 billionWhile Lottery sales hit the highest level ever, operational expenses remained low at 3.1% of overall sales

“It’s gratifying to have added yet another year to the record books, especially in light of the challenging economy,” Lottery Director Stephen Martino said. “However, we are particularly pleased the Lottery has generated more than $519 million to support the good causes of the State of Maryland. Every dollar in revenue from the Maryland Lottery is a dollar less that needs to come from taxes.”

Really? What?

savagegoose's avatar - ProfilePho
        adelaide sa
        Australia
        Member #37136
        April 11, 2006
        3300 Posts
        Posted: March 16, 2012, 4:09 pm - IP Logged

maybe there is a small bit of fine print that states :" senators dont pay tax on lotto winnings " so its kept the way it is?

2014 = -1016; 2015= -1409; 2016 JAN = -106; FEB= -81; MAR= -131; APR= - 87: MAY= -91; JUN= -39; JUL=-134; AUG= -124; SEP = -123; OCT= -84  NOV=- 73 TOT= -3498

keno historic = -2291 ; 2015= -603; 2016= JAN=-32, FEB= +12 , MAR= -86, APR = -77. MAY= -48, JUN= -29, JUL=-71; AUG = -52; SEPT= -43; OCT = +56 NOV = -33 TOT= -3297

NY
          United States
          Member #23835
          October 16, 2005
          3474 Posts
          Posted: March 17, 2012, 1:35 am - IP Logged

I'm not saying that I expect other's to pay taxes on what I win but I do resent the fact that the lottery should really not be saying a 1 million jackpot or other winnings when the person does not get the full amount. I certainly understand we all have to pay our taxes but it's very different when the lottery says you can win a 1 million dollars on a scratch ticket or 2nd place in BP or MM but with taxes taken out it is not the 1 million they claimed.

Are really PO'ed that your boss lied to you about how much your salary is, too?

RL-RANDOMLOGIC's avatar - usafce

United States
            Member #59354
            March 13, 2008
            3972 Posts
            Posted: March 17, 2012, 5:32 am - IP Logged

Why, because it takes a lot of money to keep up appearances.

RL

Working on my Ph.D.  "University of hard Knocks"

I will consider the opinion that my winnings are a product of chance if you are willing to consider

they are not.  Many great discoveries come while searching for something else

USAF https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prime_Base_Engineer_Emergency_Force

US Flag Trump / 2016 & 2020