Welcome Guest
You last visited December 3, 2016, 8:56 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Will Powerball roll over?

Topic closed. 28 replies. Last post 5 years ago by ryanm.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink

Will Powerball roll over?

Yes [ 15 ]  [83.33%]
No [ 3 ]  [16.67%]
Total Valid Votes [ 18 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 1 ]  
Morrison, IL
United States
Member #4657
May 13, 2004
1884 Posts
Posted: April 1, 2012, 12:50 am - IP Logged

We're at a familiar level of the Powerball jackpot.  The past three Powerball jackpots have been won at or below this level (one was won at only $60 million).  Will it hit again Wednesday 4/4/12 or will it actually make it to $80 million for Saturday 4/7/12?

---

Guru101's avatar - rw6jhh
    Indiana
    United States
    Member #48725
    January 7, 2007
    1953 Posts
    Posted: April 1, 2012, 9:03 am - IP Logged

I'm going to buy a ticket just to see what happens. Maybe $70M is a special amount now. lol

Gonna win.Big Smile

Morrison, IL
      United States
      Member #4657
      May 13, 2004
      1884 Posts
      Posted: April 1, 2012, 11:04 am - IP Logged

I should have mentioned, I voted "roll over" because I'm not playing Wednesday, since neither today, tomorrow, Tuesday, or Wednesday is a date ending in "0".

Interestingly, according to the Texas Lottery Report website, Powerball sales were $38.3 million (19.65 million tickets) for last night's draw, so if it rolls Wednesday, the pot might actually make it OVER $80 million if they sell as many tickets for Wednesday's draw as they did for Saturday's.  I guess the Mega Millions record jackpot mania created more awareness of both jackpot games, seeing as every lottery state has both, except for FL, which has only PB, and CA, which has only MM.

---

maximumfun's avatar - Lottery-030.jpg
        Lavender Rocket

United States
        Member #124616
        March 16, 2012
        2642 Posts
        Posted: April 1, 2012, 1:03 pm - IP Logged

We're at a familiar level of the Powerball jackpot.  The past three Powerball jackpots have been won at or below this level (one was won at only $60 million).  Will it hit again Wednesday 4/4/12 or will it actually make it to $80 million for Saturday 4/7/12?

I vote for it hitting on Wednesday and continually hit between 40 and 70 million.  what chaos would that bring to those who run PB.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
          mid-Ohio
          United States
          Member #9
          March 24, 2001
          19816 Posts
          Posted: April 1, 2012, 3:07 pm - IP Logged

With odds similar to those of MM, there is no logical reason why it shouldn't roll over as many times as MM.  The fact that that fewer people are playing it because of its higher price should make it roll over even more.  The frequent wins right after rising its price was unusual and came at a bad time since they were hoping to generate larger jackpots and convince everyone that a higher price offered some advantages.

When MM went to it present format in 2005, they said jackpots could approach a half billion or more.  It finally happened and it may take as long for PB to reach its potential high jackpots too.   I expect it will roll over several times before some one wins it.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

Morrison, IL
            United States
            Member #4657
            May 13, 2004
            1884 Posts
            Posted: April 1, 2012, 11:33 pm - IP Logged

With odds similar to those of MM, there is no logical reason why it shouldn't roll over as many times as MM.  The fact that that fewer people are playing it because of its higher price should make it roll over even more.  The frequent wins right after rising its price was unusual and came at a bad time since they were hoping to generate larger jackpots and convince everyone that a higher price offered some advantages.

When MM went to it present format in 2005, they said jackpots could approach a half billion or more.  It finally happened and it may take as long for PB to reach its potential high jackpots too.   I expect it will roll over several times before some one wins it.

If Powerball rolls over 18 times, like Mega Millions just did, its jackpot would be well over 2 BILLION!! I don't think we'll ever see Powerball roll that many times, simply because it takes the game fewer rolls to get to eye popping jackpots than Mega Millions does, thanks to the $2 ticket price.

---

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
              mid-Ohio
              United States
              Member #9
              March 24, 2001
              19816 Posts
              Posted: April 2, 2012, 12:48 pm - IP Logged

If Powerball rolls over 18 times, like Mega Millions just did, its jackpot would be well over 2 BILLION!! I don't think we'll ever see Powerball roll that many times, simply because it takes the game fewer rolls to get to eye popping jackpots than Mega Millions does, thanks to the $2 ticket price.

"If Powerball rolls over 18 times, like Mega Millions just did, its jackpot would be well over 2 BILLION!!"

How do you figure?  PB is lucky to afford its minimum rollover amount of $10M, 18x$10M +$40M starting jackpot=min.$220M which is a long way from $2000M($2B).  MM had sales of $190M and $360Ms during its last two rollovers.

Evil Looking       

Kentucky
                United States
                Member #32652
                February 14, 2006
                7295 Posts
                Posted: April 3, 2012, 12:22 pm - IP Logged

If ticket sales are $20.4 million, there is only a 5.9% chance the jackpot will be hit in any drawing. With a 94.1% chance of the jackpot rolling, it really doesn't take much thought to say the jackpot will roll. Those voting the jackpot will roll are just stating the obvious and those saying the jackpot will be hit are just guessing.

"will it actually make it to $80 million for Saturday 4/7/12?"

I read a figure of 32.5% of ticket sales goes to the jackpot so with a current cash value of 42.6 million and with typical expected ticket sales, the advertised jackpot should be around $80 million. Does the size of the jackpot change the odds of over 175 million to 1 against winning?

New York's avatar - 103h4yr
                  NYC
                  United States
                  Member #117984
                  October 19, 2011
                  1843 Posts
                  Posted: April 3, 2012, 12:27 pm - IP Logged

Predictions: The PB will rollover to $80 million Wed.

MM $12 million Jackpot will be won today, somewhere in the Bronx, New York.

The PB will however be won on Sat.

Kentucky
                    United States
                    Member #32652
                    February 14, 2006
                    7295 Posts
                    Posted: April 3, 2012, 1:01 pm - IP Logged

"If Powerball rolls over 18 times, like Mega Millions just did, its jackpot would be well over 2 BILLION!!"

How do you figure?  PB is lucky to afford its minimum rollover amount of $10M, 18x$10M +$40M starting jackpot=min.$220M which is a long way from $2000M($2B).  MM had sales of $190M and $360Ms during its last two rollovers.

Starting when the MM jackpot was $241 million on March 20, ticket sales of that drawing and the next three totaled $1.03 billion, but $652 million of that was wagered on last drawing. The final cash value of the jackpot was $473.6 million. When the jackpot was $72 million, ticket sales were $23 million. Ticket sales only gradually increased and didn't take off until the jackpot reached $363 million.

If players don't believe the jackpot will be hit on any particular drawing, why are they playing?

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                      mid-Ohio
                      United States
                      Member #9
                      March 24, 2001
                      19816 Posts
                      Posted: April 3, 2012, 3:59 pm - IP Logged

Starting when the MM jackpot was $241 million on March 20, ticket sales of that drawing and the next three totaled $1.03 billion, but $652 million of that was wagered on last drawing. The final cash value of the jackpot was $473.6 million. When the jackpot was $72 million, ticket sales were $23 million. Ticket sales only gradually increased and didn't take off until the jackpot reached $363 million.

If players don't believe the jackpot will be hit on any particular drawing, why are they playing?

Powerball estimated their minimum number of players pretty well so they survived when all the attention went toward MM when its jackpot exceeded $200M, but I don't their sales will ever drive them to a 2 billion dollar jackpot within 18 drawings.  I could be wrong and time will tell if I am.

Everyone who plays the lotteries knows the jackpot can be hit at any time and hope it's them that hits it.

Evil Looking       

Morrison, IL
                        United States
                        Member #4657
                        May 13, 2004
                        1884 Posts
                        Posted: April 5, 2012, 7:32 am - IP Logged

Well, how about that, it rolled over.  This time, based on total sales to date of around $126 million since the last jackpot won (~ 83 million tickets), and if they sell at least 15 million tickets for Saturday as I estimate ($30 million), PB's estimated cash jackpot of $48.6 million is actually LOWER than the estimated allocated amount of ~$50 million ($156 million * .3197555).  Of course, PB usually skims money from the jackpot fund in order to fund its set prize/guaranteed jackpot reserve, as per their rules they can skim as much as 2.5% of draw sales from the jackpot for it, making the JP fund temporarily as low as 29.47555% of sales.

---

NEW YORK
                          United States
                          Member #90535
                          April 29, 2010
                          11975 Posts
                          Posted: April 5, 2012, 11:04 am - IP Logged

Powerball estimated their minimum number of players pretty well so they survived when all the attention went toward MM when its jackpot exceeded $200M, but I don't their sales will ever drive them to a 2 billion dollar jackpot within 18 drawings.  I could be wrong and time will tell if I am.

Everyone who plays the lotteries knows the jackpot can be hit at any time and hope it's them that hits it.

YOU HAVE TO BE IN IT TO WIN IT.

US Flag

PLAY THE LOTTERY SOMEDAY-IT IS OKAY TO DREAM!

ressuccess's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg

United States
                            Member #93164
                            June 23, 2010
                            1313 Posts
                            Posted: April 6, 2012, 4:48 pm - IP Logged

I hope Powerball eclipses $365 million so my vote is yes.

NEW YORK
                              United States
                              Member #90535
                              April 29, 2010
                              11975 Posts
                              Posted: April 7, 2012, 11:10 am - IP Logged

I hope Powerball eclipses $365 million so my vote is yes.

I doubt PB will reach $365M because there is a very high playership at the starting $40M jackpot= more combinations being sold= having more winners below $100M.

US Flag

PLAY THE LOTTERY SOMEDAY-IT IS OKAY TO DREAM!