Welcome Guest
You last visited January 21, 2017, 6:32 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

buying multiple tickets, but only changing one number?

Topic closed. 14 replies. Last post 5 years ago by dallascowboyfan.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #126253
April 6, 2012
2 Posts
Posted: April 6, 2012, 2:45 am - IP Logged

I was just thinking about this and wondered if anybody ever does this. Basically, if you buy 30-60 tickets and pick all the same number on every ticket, only changing one number, wouldn't this greatly increase the odds? For example, here are the odds for a state lotto  picking 1 through 35 here:

5 of 5, 1:324,632

4 of 5, 1:2,164

3 of 5, 1:75

2 of 5, 1:8

But if I bought 31 tickets all with #s (for example) 4, 7, 18, 25 and just change the 5th number on each ticket, I am basically guaranteeing myself that 5th number. Wouldn't my odds of winning the jackpot then essentially be 1:2,164?? Or am I thinking of something wrong?

time*treat's avatar - radar

United States
    Member #13130
    March 30, 2005
    2171 Posts
    Posted: April 6, 2012, 3:01 am - IP Logged

I am basically guaranteeing myself that 5th number.

True. Now you just need 4 more. Wink

Wouldn't my odds of winning the jackpot then essentially be 1:2,164?

Not so much. In a 35 Choose 5 game, if you buy 31 tickets, your odds of a jackpot are 31/324,632 = 1 in 10,472

In neo-conned Amerika, bank robs you.
    Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be the name of a convenience store, not a govnoment agency.

United States
      Member #126253
      April 6, 2012
      2 Posts
      Posted: April 6, 2012, 3:10 am - IP Logged

Nevermind, I went away from it for a bit and realized it wasn't so, lol. Isn't the 31/324,632 to simplistic though? I would think my chances would actually be even worse than that now that I think about it.

Wouldn't doing this basically turn the game into a 31 choose 4 game?? With odds closer to 1:30,000?

I guess either way, those still wouldn't be too bad for odds. $31 for either a 1:10,000 or 1:30,000 chance at the jackpot (currently 140k). People buy scratch tickets for $20 with much worse odds...

time*treat's avatar - radar

United States
        Member #13130
        March 30, 2005
        2171 Posts
        Posted: April 6, 2012, 3:29 am - IP Logged

'Depends on how good your first four numbers are. Cheers

In neo-conned Amerika, bank robs you.
        Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be the name of a convenience store, not a govnoment agency.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
          mid-Ohio
          United States
          Member #9
          March 24, 2001
          19901 Posts
          Posted: April 6, 2012, 5:19 am - IP Logged

I was just thinking about this and wondered if anybody ever does this. Basically, if you buy 30-60 tickets and pick all the same number on every ticket, only changing one number, wouldn't this greatly increase the odds? For example, here are the odds for a state lotto  picking 1 through 35 here:

But if I bought 31 tickets all with #s (for example) 4, 7, 18, 25 and just change the 5th number on each ticket, I am basically guaranteeing myself that 5th number. Wouldn't my odds of winning the jackpot then essentially be 1:2,164?? Or am I thinking of something wrong?

It's not hard to test, just write 30-60 combinations on paper doing the same thing before the next drawing and let us know how many hits you would have had if you actually played.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

steph219121's avatar - Lottery-029.jpg
            Dayton OH
            United States
            Member #124697
            March 18, 2012
            251 Posts
            Posted: April 6, 2012, 8:03 am - IP Logged

That is not a bad idea though. I am trying an experiment this year where I am buying the same MB and just mixing up the numbers weekly. So far I have not hit it.

Lucky Lady O-H-I-O

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
              mid-Ohio
              United States
              Member #9
              March 24, 2001
              19901 Posts
              Posted: April 6, 2012, 10:20 am - IP Logged

That is not a bad idea though. I am trying an experiment this year where I am buying the same MB and just mixing up the numbers weekly. So far I have not hit it.

Are you picking a particular MB for some particular reason or are you picking any MB randomly?

steph219121's avatar - Lottery-029.jpg
                Dayton OH
                United States
                Member #124697
                March 18, 2012
                251 Posts
                Posted: April 6, 2012, 12:23 pm - IP Logged

Are you picking a particular MB for some particular reason or are you picking any MB randomly?

I picked one that came in the most last year. Once it comes in I will probably pick another one.

Lucky Lady O-H-I-O

Idaho
                  United States
                  Member #76087
                  June 18, 2009
                  859 Posts
                  Posted: April 6, 2012, 12:27 pm - IP Logged

That's usually how I win or at least break even on my Pick 5 games is to focus on one or two numbers I feel strongest about and work around them.  I have a small budget -- would love to be able to purchase 30 or 60 lines!

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                    mid-Ohio
                    United States
                    Member #9
                    March 24, 2001
                    19901 Posts
                    Posted: April 6, 2012, 12:41 pm - IP Logged

That's usually how I win or at least break even on my Pick 5 games is to focus on one or two numbers I feel strongest about and work around them.  I have a small budget -- would love to be able to purchase 30 or 60 lines!

If you're breaking even then budget size shouldn't be an issue.

Evil Looking       

Idaho
                      United States
                      Member #76087
                      June 18, 2009
                      859 Posts
                      Posted: April 6, 2012, 10:23 pm - IP Logged

Doh! You got a point there.  The most I have ever spent on a lottery ticket is $20.  And I felt real bad about that.  (My mother's lectures about gamblers, like my father, losing the mortgage money in card games, stories like that!)  $5-$10 is my average.  But since I would like to actually win that jackpot I should probably consider your logic....

THRIFTY's avatar - great seal_obverse.jpg
                        NEW YORK
                        United States
                        Member #90535
                        April 29, 2010
                        12118 Posts
                        Posted: April 7, 2012, 12:03 pm - IP Logged

THE LOTTERY 50/50 RULE=PLAYING THE LOTTERY IS A WIN/LOSE SITUATION NO MATTER HOW MANY TICKETS WE BUY.

THE LOTTERY 50/50 RULE will save Time and Money.

Read it multiple times, and you will get its true meaning.

You will also avoid having a Gambling Addiction.

US Flag   White Bounce  GOOD LUCK EVERYBODY.

US Flag

PLAY THE LOTTERY SOMEDAY-IT IS OKAY TO DREAM!

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                          mid-Ohio
                          United States
                          Member #9
                          March 24, 2001
                          19901 Posts
                          Posted: April 7, 2012, 12:12 pm - IP Logged

If you're only spending a dollar or two when you play, your loses are so small that you may think you're breaking even but when you spend $10 or more you have the face the fact that if you aren't winning big once in a while then you aren't breaking even.

Evil Looking       

Idaho
                            United States
                            Member #76087
                            June 18, 2009
                            859 Posts
                            Posted: April 7, 2012, 2:31 pm - IP Logged

I decided to be daring today and buy $5 of quick-picks on Wild Card 2 to go along with my own picks for tonight.  I may exceed my $10 limit.  Yes, I know I will because I have to play Hot Lotto, after the dream I had of winning numbers last night. (Posted in blog.)  So I will def spend a few bucks on Hot Lotto. 

I hardly ever dream of lottery numbers so I must act on it, ye know.  I want to win so I can have more free time for this favorite activity:

Guitar

La Maga Della Spaziometria

dallascowboyfan's avatar - tiana the-princess-and-the-frog.jpg
                              Oklahoma
                              United States
                              Member #82391
                              November 12, 2009
                              6305 Posts
                              Posted: April 10, 2012, 4:19 am - IP Logged

I decided to be daring today and buy $5 of quick-picks on Wild Card 2 to go along with my own picks for tonight.  I may exceed my $10 limit.  Yes, I know I will because I have to play Hot Lotto, after the dream I had of winning numbers last night. (Posted in blog.)  So I will def spend a few bucks on Hot Lotto. 

I hardly ever dream of lottery numbers so I must act on it, ye know.  I want to win so I can have more free time for this favorite activity:

Guitar

How did you do GIGI??????

I Love Pink & Green 1908