Welcome Guest
You last visited December 6, 2016, 4:42 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

What Do You Think About These Duplicated Mega Millions Tickets? Are Lottery Games Rigged?

Topic closed. 21 replies. Last post 5 years ago by LottoBoner.

Page 2 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
NY
United States
Member #23835
October 16, 2005
3474 Posts
Posted: April 10, 2012, 6:32 pm - IP Logged

Once in every 500,000 times comes out to 1312 times in the record drawing, but because more players spent $30 or more on tickets it was more prevalent. If it happened that many times the real problem would be for the states who would have to pay off 1312 5 + 0 winners if one of those duplicate combos were drawn.

We can use probability to determine how jackpot winners there should be based on sales, all the terminals are truly random, who knows how many jackpot winners are expected.

You're making at least two assumptions, and one is definitely incorrect. There probably weren't anywhere near 1300 duplicates and there certainly weren't 1300 instances of the same combination. It's not clear where the 1 in 3 to 5 hundred thousand figure comes from, but it's probably not an overall chance based on every line that was played. Even if it was, each duplicate is of a recently generated ticket, not a repeat of the same lines on the two tickets shown here.

It's obviously a problem that needed to be fixed, but it appears to have been a  problem with a very limited extent.

NY
    United States
    Member #23835
    October 16, 2005
    3474 Posts
    Posted: April 10, 2012, 6:34 pm - IP Logged

the ticket on the left is photoshopped.  i saw this disproven in a earlier thread.  look at the dotted line at the top, it isnt straight.  its fake.

also look at the bottom of the ticket on the left.  see how the pink border keeps going, but the rest of the ticket is chopped off right below 3642800.

The AZ lottery says that both tickets are valid and were accurately logged into the lottery's central system. You should write to them and let them know they're wrong, and it's just a wiseguy with photoshop.

time*treat's avatar - radar

United States
      Member #13130
      March 30, 2005
      2171 Posts
      Posted: April 10, 2012, 6:53 pm - IP Logged

On another thread, the news reported that this has happened to at least one other group of players and that GTech had hunted down and fixed the problem.

In neo-conned Amerika, bank robs you.
      Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be the name of a convenience store, not a govnoment agency.

Lucky Loser's avatar - bucks
        Texas
        United States
        Member #86154
        January 30, 2010
        1648 Posts
        Posted: April 10, 2012, 9:16 pm - IP Logged

The long and short of it is...no, they aren't rigged in any shape, form, or fashion. We're dealing with a bunch of balls within a containment which either provides suction to draw numbers, or, they just roll down a chamber. I've never watched a drawing so I can't confirm which method. However, multiple winners have happened many times in the past on other jackpots as well whether the numbers were self picked or QP. In the end, all the numbers are in the same chamber, and, all the lottery machines do their own thing in their respected locations in terms of kicking out tickets. 

For reference's sake, take a look at the Pick3/4 deal...it's the exact same thing but on a much smaller scale in terms of number count. Lots and lots of people win on the same numbers every single day...twice per day even on QP's. Hey, the numbers simply have to drawn, and, somebody must have them somewhere. Hope this helps.

L.L.

HiFi's avatar - police

United States
          Member #3792
          February 21, 2004
          198 Posts
          Posted: April 10, 2012, 10:39 pm - IP Logged

The AZ lottery says that both tickets are valid and were accurately logged into the lottery's central system. You should write to them and let them know they're wrong, and it's just a wiseguy with photoshop.

i read both the original story and the updated story and didnt see what you are saying here.  they only said it was possible and that it has happened a few times but nothing about those particular tickets specifically.  however i was able to watch the video now and i see the two tickets in the video from the news report.  so i guess it was real.

Kentucky
            United States
            Member #32652
            February 14, 2006
            7309 Posts
            Posted: April 11, 2012, 12:25 pm - IP Logged

You're making at least two assumptions, and one is definitely incorrect. There probably weren't anywhere near 1300 duplicates and there certainly weren't 1300 instances of the same combination. It's not clear where the 1 in 3 to 5 hundred thousand figure comes from, but it's probably not an overall chance based on every line that was played. Even if it was, each duplicate is of a recently generated ticket, not a repeat of the same lines on the two tickets shown here.

It's obviously a problem that needed to be fixed, but it appears to have been a  problem with a very limited extent.

After I read the story it said 1 in 3 to 500,000 times "when more than 30 QPs were played". It depends on after how many consecutive QPs were played before the duplicate was printed. This isolated incidence happened because one player asked for more than 100 QPs. There were stories of players buying 1000 or more QPs, but none of them reported getting duplicate tickets.

United States
              Member #124493
              March 14, 2012
              7023 Posts
              Posted: April 11, 2012, 6:49 pm - IP Logged

After I read the story it said 1 in 3 to 500,000 times "when more than 30 QPs were played". It depends on after how many consecutive QPs were played before the duplicate was printed. This isolated incidence happened because one player asked for more than 100 QPs. There were stories of players buying 1000 or more QPs, but none of them reported getting duplicate tickets.

if i had duplicates with the mega ball and i only played 100, then i would be upset...

if those four repeats had won that guy would have been real happy...

there is no way to be sure...

the real and only problem is if 100 different people all get the same combinations...at the same store...

who knows...even may have been an error of the clerk who didn't "clear" the terminal....

but 1300 duplicates when 1,000,000,000 are sold doesn't seem like a problem to me...or unbelievable.