Welcome Guest
You last visited January 18, 2017, 9:04 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Do you save your tickets?

Topic closed. 18 replies. Last post 5 years ago by helpmewin.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #126136
April 4, 2012
26 Posts
Posted: April 13, 2012, 8:20 pm - IP Logged

I didn't but I decided to start now, MegaMillion tickets just look so nice and they're so smooth (I rub them on my face a lot) I'm going to start saving them and keep them in a folder and such, just because I want to get my monies worth as much as possible, and there might be a 1 in 175 million chance of a REDRAW or wrong numbers being posted on a results site or something so you don't throw it away early. Dance

What about you guys?

Minnesnowta
    United States
    Member #125219
    March 27, 2012
    79 Posts
    Posted: April 13, 2012, 8:39 pm - IP Logged

I scan every ticket and check them myself. If its a loser I throw it away due to IRS reasons. Simple.

Besides, who wants to collect tickets for years and then one day take a look at that huge pile of worthless paper you've wasted thousands on. That should brighten up your day lol.

United States
      Member #126136
      April 4, 2012
      26 Posts
      Posted: April 13, 2012, 9:07 pm - IP Logged

I scan every ticket and check them myself. If its a loser I throw it away due to IRS reasons. Simple.

Besides, who wants to collect tickets for years and then one day take a look at that huge pile of worthless paper you've wasted thousands on. That should brighten up your day lol.

Wait, what IRS reasons? 

Also, when you throw the ticket away it feels like I'm just throwing the money I spent on it in the trash, I'd rather keep it so I can fool my self to believe that I still have the money! It's just in another form.

haymaker's avatar - Lottery-012.jpg
        Egg Harbor twp.south Jersey shore
        United States
        Member #112968
        June 29, 2011
        3857 Posts
        Posted: April 13, 2012, 9:12 pm - IP Logged

I save em, until i file my taxes, then i toss em.

Extraordinary Popular Delusions & the Madness of Crowds    -- Charles Mackay  LL.D.

maximumfun's avatar - Lottery-030.jpg
          Lavender Rocket

United States
          Member #124616
          March 16, 2012
          2642 Posts
          Posted: April 13, 2012, 9:55 pm - IP Logged

I didn't but I decided to start now, MegaMillion tickets just look so nice and they're so smooth (I rub them on my face a lot) I'm going to start saving them and keep them in a folder and such, just because I want to get my monies worth as much as possible, and there might be a 1 in 175 million chance of a REDRAW or wrong numbers being posted on a results site or something so you don't throw it away early. Dance

What about you guys?

I hear they make lovely bathroom wallpaper - if you have enough of them.

United States
            Member #126136
            April 4, 2012
            26 Posts
            Posted: April 13, 2012, 9:57 pm - IP Logged

That's actually so crazy I'm seriously contemplating how I could do this to my own bathroom.

haymaker's avatar - Lottery-012.jpg
              Egg Harbor twp.south Jersey shore
              United States
              Member #112968
              June 29, 2011
              3857 Posts
              Posted: April 13, 2012, 10:04 pm - IP Logged

LOL, thanks, almost forgot that one.

Extraordinary Popular Delusions & the Madness of Crowds    -- Charles Mackay  LL.D.

Nikkicute's avatar - nnjx1k
                Wisconsin
                United States
                Member #123290
                February 17, 2012
                3084 Posts
                Posted: April 14, 2012, 9:24 pm - IP Logged

What about you guys?

No, we have Second Chance drawings for losing tickets is our state.

Save until $5.00 worth and send it in an envelope for the weekly draw.

Colt45ML's avatar - 4eyes
                  Jawja
                  United States
                  Member #87469
                  February 25, 2010
                  109 Posts
                  Posted: April 15, 2012, 12:18 am - IP Logged

What about you guys?

I save all of mine because if I luck out and win big (that is if I win one or more prizes of more than $500, and thus have taxes taken out) I can use the losers to offset the win a bit and at least get some, if not all, the money rebated that I paid in taxes.  If not, which has been every year so far, I throw them at the end of the year.

Be sassy and be happy.

Kentucky
                    United States
                    Member #32652
                    February 14, 2006
                    7341 Posts
                    Posted: April 15, 2012, 11:01 am - IP Logged

I save all of mine because if I luck out and win big (that is if I win one or more prizes of more than $500, and thus have taxes taken out) I can use the losers to offset the win a bit and at least get some, if not all, the money rebated that I paid in taxes.  If not, which has been every year so far, I throw them at the end of the year.

We've had this discussion many times but it's very appropriate considering the filing deadline is midnight on Tuesday. For those who normally file long form, they can always deduct up to the amount of the winnings. It's usually a problem for those using the standard deductions because by deducting the gambling losses, they lose the standard deductions. The best solution is to use a tax program and figure your taxes both ways and chose the one with the best results.

If you do claim the losses, you should keep all the losing tickets for that year until you're past the time when you could be audited by the IRS.

Artist77's avatar - batman14

United States
                      Member #121745
                      January 16, 2012
                      4945 Posts
                      Posted: April 15, 2012, 1:58 pm - IP Logged

We've had this discussion many times but it's very appropriate considering the filing deadline is midnight on Tuesday. For those who normally file long form, they can always deduct up to the amount of the winnings. It's usually a problem for those using the standard deductions because by deducting the gambling losses, they lose the standard deductions. The best solution is to use a tax program and figure your taxes both ways and chose the one with the best results.

If you do claim the losses, you should keep all the losing tickets for that year until you're past the time when you could be audited by the IRS.

Do the tickets have to be from the exact lottery game you won or any lottery game ticket?  I have never saved mine but maybe I will start.

Bronx, NY
                        United States
                        Member #124198
                        March 8, 2012
                        105 Posts
                        Posted: April 15, 2012, 3:57 pm - IP Logged

I used to save my tickets.  But then I got depressed after a while when I saw how much I had racked up.  I threw the pile away and never collected again.  As soon as I see its a loser I throw it in the trash.

Lucky Loser's avatar - bucks
                          Texas
                          United States
                          Member #86154
                          January 30, 2010
                          1654 Posts
                          Posted: April 15, 2012, 7:23 pm - IP Logged

Naaaw...I threw away all my old tickets I ran across. See, there may be times when I decide not to play, and, it would be just my luck that one of those tickets had every single winning number on it. Can you say EXTREMELY DEPRESSED and with an EXTREMELY SORE A** from kicking myself?? Nope, I don't play around with saving old tickets...too much risk in it for 'ole Lucky. I'm just very suspicious like that when it comes to this type of thing.

L.L.

Kentucky
                            United States
                            Member #32652
                            February 14, 2006
                            7341 Posts
                            Posted: April 15, 2012, 7:54 pm - IP Logged

Do the tickets have to be from the exact lottery game you won or any lottery game ticket?  I have never saved mine but maybe I will start.

The tickets should be consistent with your normal ticket purchases, but the IRS doesn't check the accuracy of all the people that claim gambling losses. It's only when your taxes are audited that you need to show the tickets. Losing horse racing tickets could be included as well as scratch-off or any online lottery game.

Artist77's avatar - batman14

United States
                              Member #121745
                              January 16, 2012
                              4945 Posts
                              Posted: April 15, 2012, 8:39 pm - IP Logged

The tickets should be consistent with your normal ticket purchases, but the IRS doesn't check the accuracy of all the people that claim gambling losses. It's only when your taxes are audited that you need to show the tickets. Losing horse racing tickets could be included as well as scratch-off or any online lottery game.

Since I only play the big jackpots, I think I'd be going through all the old tickets also (and double checking them against later drawings)...lol...  Probably better that I toss them as the other person does as well.