Welcome Guest
You last visited December 8, 2016, 12:55 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Do most people who win the lottery jackpots buy just one Ticket or multiple tickets?

Topic closed. 21 replies. Last post 5 years ago by shyguitar.

Page 2 of 2
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #122468
February 1, 2012
530 Posts
Posted: April 26, 2012, 8:16 am - IP Logged

Hello "SG",

This style of topic has, and, will continue to be all the rage here at LP. After lots of research on past winners of all types of jackpots and scratch-offs, I'm thoroughly convinced that with such games it's much better to just stay within your budget and allow what's destined to happen just happen. See, there is such a thing as just trying too hard to accomplish a particular thing and purchasing two hand fulls of tickets isn't going to increase your odds of winning by very much at all in the end and I'll tell you why.

If you have lots of tickets and one of those tickets has a line that's very, very, close to the winning numbers, it's HIGHLY, HIGHLY unlikely that another line on another ticket will produce the exact (corrected) winning numbers. Can you understand what I'm saying here? 99% of the time, it's that one line which makes or breaks the player so there's no need for hundreds of lines. I'm not saying it can't actually happen, but rather that it's so unlikely to happen. Basically, there's one chance per set of tickets.

To me, $5 is a nice round number as it's a complete board of numbers and I've done fairly well in the past with this amount. You're gonna win or lose whether you spend $5 or $50 in the end. Financially, $50 goes a long way at $5 per shot, and, allows many more chances at the same win. Just my .02...

L.L.

Hi L.L.

Thanks for your response. I agree about the staying in your budget that's why I tend to buy just one ticket for MM or PB due to that reason though I usually pay the extra dollar for the multiplier. Last night I splurged for PB and bought 3 tickets without multiplier.  I guess my thoughts about buying one line has been that it just takes one line to win (though having that one line puts you in the 1 to 175 million odds of actually being able to win) wish are pretty impossible odds, lol) . The 5 dollars you mentioned is something I haven't tried yet but I can see where people might win something the more tickets they buy.

United States
    Member #122468
    February 1, 2012
    530 Posts
    Posted: April 26, 2012, 8:24 am - IP Logged

I just wanted to thank everyone for responding to my post.  It seems some people feel that buying one ticket is a way not to win and some people go with QP and their own numbers. I guess whatever feels right to someone is the way to go. Last night when I bought my PB tickets I got 3 lines and noticed that a few of the numbers were repeat numbers and that got me depressed. I know it's supposed to be random but if so why wouldn't I have all different numbers that came out. Thanks again.

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
      Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
      United States
      Member #73904
      April 28, 2009
      14903 Posts
      Posted: April 26, 2012, 8:57 am - IP Logged

I've always thought you were pretty cool from the time I first read one of your posts...years ago. It's good to see that you're still around as a few others are. You probably don't reconize me by my current forum name but, I'm certain you'd know me otherwise.

L.L.

What was your name before?

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

haymaker's avatar - Lottery-012.jpg
        Egg Harbor twp.south Jersey shore
        United States
        Member #112968
        June 29, 2011
        3856 Posts
        Posted: April 26, 2012, 11:29 am - IP Logged

I've always thought you were pretty cool from the time I first read one of your posts...years ago. It's good to see that you're still around as a few others are. You probably don't reconize me by my current forum name but, I'm certain you'd know me otherwise.

L.L.

Are you Visiondude ?

who dropped out about ago after the atheist thread.

Extraordinary Popular Delusions & the Madness of Crowds    -- Charles Mackay  LL.D.

NEW YORK
          United States
          Member #90535
          April 29, 2010
          11979 Posts
          Posted: April 26, 2012, 4:52 pm - IP Logged

I just wanted to thank everyone for responding to my post.  It seems some people feel that buying one ticket is a way not to win and some people go with QP and their own numbers. I guess whatever feels right to someone is the way to go. Last night when I bought my PB tickets I got 3 lines and noticed that a few of the numbers were repeat numbers and that got me depressed. I know it's supposed to be random but if so why wouldn't I have all different numbers that came out. Thanks again.

You just wished 3 times for the same money. 

US Flag

PLAY THE LOTTERY SOMEDAY-IT IS OKAY TO DREAM!

Icezkube's avatar - icezkube Avatar.jpg
            Bay Area 510 , California
            United States
            Member #64283
            August 23, 2008
            194 Posts
            Posted: April 26, 2012, 8:08 pm - IP Logged

Shyguitar,  I was thinking about this before myself and I'v come to the conculsion that people do win jackpots more when buying 4 to 5 lines on one ticket rather then just buying 1 line. I remember one guy from the lottery winners on TV said he closed his eyes and drew each number which led him to hit the jackpot. When he showed his ticket it was 5 lines full and I believe about the 3rd line down was the winning combo. 

I personally NEVER play quick picks for exactly the reason you said, they repeat the same dumb numbers over and over almost guaranteeing a lose. Practically everyone Iv talked to says they win more playing their own numbers.

Anything is yours, if you only want it hard enough. Just think of it. ANYTHING. Try IT. You will succeed.Wink

United States
              Member #122468
              February 1, 2012
              530 Posts
              Posted: April 27, 2012, 9:12 am - IP Logged

Hi Icezkube,

It seems we both agree about quick picks repeating the same numbers when you play more than one set of numbers. I still play QP's because I'm afraid that if I have set numbers and I forgot to play one day those numbers would come up and I'd never forgive myself. It seems a few people have said that playing 5 lines is better than one line. My problem is economics and feel that only when the jackpot gets very high will I buy more than one ticket.