Welcome Guest
You last visited December 3, 2016, 6:52 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Why Play Pwerball or Mega-Millions ?? Play you're States games !!

Topic closed. 23 replies. Last post 5 years ago by THRIFTY.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
CajunWin4's avatar - Lottery-061.jpg
Whiskey Island
United States
Member #90216
April 24, 2010
12728 Posts
Posted: April 24, 2012, 8:56 pm - IP Logged

The odds are just to high on you Winning the Jackpot . But , The odds are so much better on you're States games( Easy 5 . Take 5 , Fantasy 5 , Cash 5 . Little Lotto , Lotto  , Mega Money and Etc . ). . You could make more money in the Long Run !!!

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
    Zeta Reticuli Star System
    United States
    Member #30470
    January 17, 2006
    10344 Posts
    Posted: April 24, 2012, 10:11 pm - IP Logged

The odds on 5 + 0 in PB or MM are a lot better than the odds against 6 for 6 in a state lottery game.

5 + 0 in MM for example, one chance in 3,904,700.80”.

For the Illinois lottery  6/52, the odds are 1:10,179,260 (two lines of numbers for $1)

Since PB and MM are both in many states players are going after the bigger jackpots. The Illinois lotto starts at $2M and it's a slow progresssion. The payouts for 5 of 6 and 4 of 6 are pathetic.

Here's the last drawing:

LOTTO PRIZE PAYOUTS FOR MONDAY APRIL 23, 2012

WINNING NUMBERS: 07 - 30 - 31 - 32 - 38 - 50

PLAYERS MATCHING 6 OF 6 NUMBERS
    INCLUDING SUBSCRIPTION WINNERS 0

EACH PLAYER WILL RECEIVE $0.00

PLAYERS MATCHING 5 OF 6 NUMBERS 8
    EACH PLAYER WILL RECEIVE $1,780.00

PLAYERS MATCHING 4 OF 6 NUMBERS 648
    EACH PLAYER WILL RECEIVE $39.50

PLAYERS MATCHING 3 OF 6 NUMBERS 13,809
    EACH PLAYER WILL RECEIVE $3.00

In states like Missouri with a smaller population the Pick 6 game is usually between $1M and $3M.

Since MM now pays $1 for 5 + 0 with the Megaplier and PB pays $1M for 5 + 0 or $2M for 5 + 0 with the Powerplay it's just a better deal. That's $1 or $2 cash before taxes. The state lotteris don't forget are an annuity or apporiximately 51% of the advertised jackpot.

It might make more sense to go after a state game if you're in some place like NY, FL, or CA where they get healthy jackpots.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

savagegoose's avatar - ProfilePho
      adelaide sa
      Australia
      Member #37136
      April 11, 2006
      3300 Posts
      Posted: April 24, 2012, 10:43 pm - IP Logged

money is like a demovracy, and it goes where voters want to spend it. huge jackpots pull the crowds, / $$$  big jackpots pull the money and thats the way it is.

2014 = -1016; 2015= -1409; 2016 JAN = -106; FEB= -81; MAR= -131; APR= - 87: MAY= -91; JUN= -39; JUL=-134; AUG= -124; SEP = -123; OCT= -84  NOV=- 73 TOT= -3498

keno historic = -2291 ; 2015= -603; 2016= JAN=-32, FEB= +12 , MAR= -86, APR = -77. MAY= -48, JUN= -29, JUL=-71; AUG = -52; SEPT= -43; OCT = +56 NOV = -33 TOT= -3297

United States
        Member #116268
        September 7, 2011
        20244 Posts
        Posted: April 24, 2012, 11:29 pm - IP Logged

The back of my MM card says it pays $250,000. for 5+0. I have been looking at the $20 scratcher card in AZ that pays $500,000. on odds of 1 in 240,000. Not sure about my math but it sounds like a better pay-out for the odds, plus tons of smaller prizes cut the expense by quite a bit.

Im the guy who wants to spend $500. at a whack, so this game might be for me. Any suggestions? 

I bought $200. worth the other day as a teaser and got back $115. It took me 3 years of buying MM and PB to hit $450. one single time, besides the occasional $5.

San Diego
          United States
          Member #126687
          April 14, 2012
          3 Posts
          Posted: April 25, 2012, 12:18 am - IP Logged

The back of my MM card says it pays $250,000. for 5+0. I have been looking at the $20 scratcher card in AZ that pays $500,000. on odds of 1 in 240,000. Not sure about my math but it sounds like a better pay-out for the odds, plus tons of smaller prizes cut the expense by quite a bit.

Im the guy who wants to spend $500. at a whack, so this game might be for me. Any suggestions? 

I bought $200. worth the other day as a teaser and got back $115. It took me 3 years of buying MM and PB to hit $450. one single time, besides the occasional $5.

This depends on what you are trying to do. If you are strictly looking for a chance at a big score, like tier 2 MM or better, the MM tickets with Megapiler would be a better deal than the $20 scratcher, since you could buy 10 MM lines with Megapiler for the same price, thus dropping for your odds at hitting 5 to 1:390,470 and getting $1m back, thus the score would be twice as big for less than twice the cost in odds.  MM also puts you up against just the math, as where top end scratcher tickets also have the real world limitation of being printed on a limited number tickets(5 for Extreme Green right now) The top end odds for scratchers are more deceptive than the stated odds for this reason, IMO.

That said, the lower end payout for scratchers is much better than draw games, so you'll get more play there, but in the long run you will still be losing money(unless you find a golden ticket), it just won't feel as bad since it will be spread out over a longer period of time and you'll probably have more fun along the way.  For my money though, going after the jackpots is the only thing that makes any sense with lottery, and most scratchers just don't cut it in that regard. I just wish they did the Megapiler here in CA, that would have me thinking about switching off of SuperLotto Plus or at least splitting my money more evenly between the two. Of course that's why they don't do it, same with no Powerball here.

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
            Zeta Reticuli Star System
            United States
            Member #30470
            January 17, 2006
            10344 Posts
            Posted: April 25, 2012, 12:18 am - IP Logged

In states with the Megaplier (costs an extra$1) 5 + 0 pays $1,000,000.

Scrathnix,

Welcome. Sorry, we posted at the same time. Good explanation.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

steph219121's avatar - Lottery-029.jpg
              Dayton OH
              United States
              Member #124697
              March 18, 2012
              251 Posts
              Posted: April 25, 2012, 7:46 am - IP Logged

I have to agree! I am mostly playing scratchoffs weekly because the odds are better. I get more smaller wins than I ever did on jackpot games.

Lucky Lady O-H-I-O

United States
                Member #116268
                September 7, 2011
                20244 Posts
                Posted: April 25, 2012, 5:13 pm - IP Logged

I have to agree! I am mostly playing scratchoffs weekly because the odds are better. I get more smaller wins than I ever did on jackpot games.

I'm with steph on this one. Looking at "One In 1000" Results: March 23/24, 2012 where 175,000 lines are being played, we can see that the return on MM is only 10-20% where scratchers seem to return much more.

Plus, spending the same $175k on 8750   $20. scratcher tickets would offer a 1 in 16 chance of winning $500,000. The down side is not having a chance at 20+ million, but I will take 16/1 for $500k over 1000/1 for 20 million any day of the week. Especially if it cost me $175k. You can take that to the bank. 

I think this is a very creative way to compete with the jackjpot games, and they have my attention.

United States
                  Member #122468
                  February 1, 2012
                  530 Posts
                  Posted: April 26, 2012, 8:50 am - IP Logged

The odds are just to high on you Winning the Jackpot . But , The odds are so much better on you're States games( Easy 5 . Take 5 , Fantasy 5 , Cash 5 . Little Lotto , Lotto  , Mega Money and Etc . ). . You could make more money in the Long Run !!!

Well in my state I play Mass Cash where you need to get 5 numbers out of 35 to win the prize of 100K. One would think those odds are very good to eventually win the 100K but it hasn't worked out for me the most I eve won on that game was 10 dollars by getting 3 out of 5 numbers. I still play because it does have better odds than MM or PB (which I also play).

HoLeeKau's avatar - YheaShea
                    Idaho
                    United States
                    Member #94283
                    July 17, 2010
                    2284 Posts
                    Posted: April 26, 2012, 10:47 am - IP Logged

I don't play my state games because they pretty much suck.

East of Columbus, OH
                      United States
                      Member #120843
                      December 28, 2011
                      447 Posts
                      Posted: April 26, 2012, 1:03 pm - IP Logged

I do play my state's Classic Lotto.  I have always felt that it was my best chance to win a large jackpot.

Life's Too Short To Be Unhappy Cool

topnail's avatar - Lottery-021.jpg
                        Boise
                        United States
                        Member #127183
                        April 25, 2012
                        394 Posts
                        Posted: April 26, 2012, 2:25 pm - IP Logged

Smash My state game  are suck

small state they sell less money to let people win

they are in control what ever your pick you never win

especialy daily pick 3

mediabrat's avatar - 18z0typ
                          upstate NY
                          United States
                          Member #108791
                          March 31, 2011
                          549 Posts
                          Posted: April 26, 2012, 11:53 pm - IP Logged

I think more people play the multi-state games because of the allure of the higher jackpots.  And the lower payouts aren't necessarily better with the lower games.  For example, both NY Lotto (6/59) and Sweet Million (6/40) don't have any payouts until you match 3 numbers, and their prize levels compared to PB/MM aren't as high.

NY Lotto used to have some rather healthy jackpots, but the game started declining when NY joined Mega Millions and got even worse when they added Powerball.  The jackpot still starts at $3 million, as it always has (if I remember correctly, though I could be wrong), but now it only increases by $500K each rollover.  It tends to be won generally in the $10 million area, give or take a couple million.  The Lottery tried to reignite interest in Lotto about five years ago by adding the Lotto Extra option, which introduced a different set of prize levels for an extra $1, but it never took off and was dropped after two or three years.

Then again, NY Lotto is widely known for being one of the worst jackpot games in the nation, so maybe my example isn't quite the best one possible.

Patriot

dallascowboyfan's avatar - tiana the-princess-and-the-frog.jpg
                            Oklahoma
                            United States
                            Member #82391
                            November 12, 2009
                            6290 Posts
                            Posted: April 27, 2012, 8:55 am - IP Logged

I would but Oklahoma doesn't have a state lotto jackpot game all we got is Cash 5 $25,000(computer pick game) sometimes there's no winners for months on this game.

I Love Pink & Green 1908

United States
                              Member #111442
                              May 25, 2011
                              6323 Posts
                              Posted: April 27, 2012, 9:00 am - IP Logged

I would but Oklahoma doesn't have a state lotto jackpot game all we got is Cash 5 $25,000(computer pick game) sometimes there's no winners for months on this game.

Wow! that SUCKS!Thumbs Down

Sorry to hear about that DCF. I would be playing only the big games as well, especially since your pick five is computer picked.   Hiding Behind Computer