Welcome Guest
You last visited December 8, 2016, 4:45 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Buying More Than 1 Lottery Ticket Does Not Make Economic Sense Regardless Of The Jackpot Amount.

Topic closed. 41 replies. Last post 5 years ago by rdgrnr.

Page 2 of 3
PrintE-mailLink
Lucky Loser's avatar - bucks
Texas
United States
Member #86154
January 30, 2010
1649 Posts
Posted: May 21, 2012, 6:36 pm - IP Logged

It is also true that every line played will eventually win, if played long enough.

Absolutey...which is why I've mentioned remaining consistent with a set of numbers. Look at the lady from Virginia and how her faithful numbers hit after so long....TWICE. Some don't like it when Quick Picks have a couple of repeat numbers on the tickets purchased. Well, I have news for them: All those broken combinations are still in the containment and must be drawn at some point.

I believe Texas has had the exact same numbers hit twice on its' 6/54 during the entire history of its' draws. I'm pretty sure this has never occurred with PB or MM's but, pieces of prior combinations are certain to return as proven throughout many draws. Each new draw is bits and pieces of prior draws producing a new and independent combination. So, when players frown on their QP's, they're actually frowning on part of a winning combination. No jive, just truth here.

L.L.

United States
    Member #116268
    September 7, 2011
    20244 Posts
    Posted: May 21, 2012, 6:41 pm - IP Logged

I have been investing a lot of time on refining my strategy on so many levels...I smell a win in the not too distant future. Jackpot or at minimum a 5 of 5.

I have thought about playing 1 line all the time using all 46 mega numbers (46 lines) and think it would give me better odds of a full JP hit, but folks around here disagree and say 46 lines is 46 lines is 46 lines no matter how you slice it and dice it. lol. 

Bahamas
      Member #114685
      August 5, 2011
      422 Posts
      Posted: May 21, 2012, 6:49 pm - IP Logged

I have thought about playing 1 line all the time using all 46 mega numbers (46 lines) and think it would give me better odds of a full JP hit, but folks around here disagree and say 46 lines is 46 lines is 46 lines no matter how you slice it and dice it. lol. 

Yeah I often make fun of people who hold up the line playing tons of combinations in Cash 3 or Play 4. I would say out loud "Playing that many numbers. It's not gambling!"

Take some time study, research and meditate and find at most 5 mega balls to match up with your favorite 5 white ball numbers. I remember a winner's story of a lady out of NYC who won - Mega Millions I think. She had a 5 numbers and would decide in the moment what Mega Ball she'd use to complete her combination. Hadn't played in a while as funds were limited and she was prompted to get off the bus on her way home and put in her numbers. She WON. Paired it with 25 that day. Christmas was her favorite Holiday so she decided to go with that.

"Freedom of Speech? Keep reading and you will discover that freedom comes at a price!"

United States
        Member #116268
        September 7, 2011
        20244 Posts
        Posted: May 21, 2012, 7:02 pm - IP Logged

Yeah I often make fun of people who hold up the line playing tons of combinations in Cash 3 or Play 4. I would say out loud "Playing that many numbers. It's not gambling!"

Take some time study, research and meditate and find at most 5 mega balls to match up with your favorite 5 white ball numbers. I remember a winner's story of a lady out of NYC who won - Mega Millions I think. She had a 5 numbers and would decide in the moment what Mega Ball she'd use to complete her combination. Hadn't played in a while as funds were limited and she was prompted to get off the bus on her way home and put in her numbers. She WON. Paired it with 25 that day. Christmas was her favorite Holiday so she decided to go with that.

I feel like I can almost gravitate toward the white balls. But never the PB ball. I decided to try picking the PB numbers this past draw and see what happened:

Winners, 8,13,35,46,51

My pick, 3,8,34,44,51

only 2 number the same be oddly similar number combination.

I know, I know, Lucky says: CLOSE DONT COUNT. lol.

Bahamas
          Member #114685
          August 5, 2011
          422 Posts
          Posted: May 21, 2012, 7:13 pm - IP Logged

I feel like I can almost gravitate toward the white balls. But never the PB ball. I decided to try picking the PB numbers this past draw and see what happened:

Winners, 8,13,35,46,51

My pick, 3,8,34,44,51

only 2 number the same be oddly similar number combination.

I know, I know, Lucky says: CLOSE DONT COUNT. lol.

Sad but true! lol.

The upside though, you live to fight another day and if you can hone into it some more, your win is not far away!

"Freedom of Speech? Keep reading and you will discover that freedom comes at a price!"

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
            Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
            United States
            Member #73904
            April 28, 2009
            14903 Posts
            Posted: May 22, 2012, 10:23 am - IP Logged

"RICH GET RICHER WALL STREET GUYS WIN $254M WITH $1 LOTTERY TICKET." FINANCE PROS TURN $1 INTO $254M WITH LOTTERY.  THEY'RE RICH AND RICHERER."

November 2, 2011 POWERBALL WINNING NUMBERS:12-14-34-39-46+ POWERBALL ( 36 )

"Buying More Than 1 Lottery Ticket Does Not Make Economic Sense Regardless Of The Jackpot Amount."

Actually, buying a second ticket doubles your chances.

White Bounce

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

NEW YORK
              United States
              Member #90535
              April 29, 2010
              11979 Posts
              Posted: May 22, 2012, 5:17 pm - IP Logged

"Buying More Than 1 Lottery Ticket Does Not Make Economic Sense Regardless Of The Jackpot Amount."

Actually, buying a second ticket doubles your chances.

White Bounce

THE LOTTERY 50/50 RULE=PLAYING THE LOTTERY IS A WIN/LOSE SITUATION NO MATTER HOW MANY TICKETS WE BUY.

US Flag

PLAY THE LOTTERY SOMEDAY-IT IS OKAY TO DREAM!

Kentucky
                United States
                Member #32652
                February 14, 2006
                7313 Posts
                Posted: May 23, 2012, 7:59 pm - IP Logged

Both methods use all 46 bonus numbers and the odds of any one of the 46 five number combos being drawn is the same as your one combo. But the good news is, if you matched all 5 numbers, you're guaranteed to hit the jackpot and you'll have 45 5+0 matches you can give away as presents.

United States
                  Member #116268
                  September 7, 2011
                  20244 Posts
                  Posted: May 23, 2012, 9:10 pm - IP Logged

Both methods use all 46 bonus numbers and the odds of any one of the 46 five number combos being drawn is the same as your one combo. But the good news is, if you matched all 5 numbers, you're guaranteed to hit the jackpot and you'll have 45 5+0 matches you can give away as presents.

If the odds are the same but this method results in 45 second place winners, would that make this method better?

CajunWin4's avatar - Lottery-061.jpg
                    Whiskey Island
                    United States
                    Member #90216
                    April 24, 2010
                    12741 Posts
                    Posted: May 23, 2012, 9:23 pm - IP Logged

THE LOTTERY 50/50 RULE=PLAYING THE LOTTERY IS A WIN/LOSE SITUATION NO MATTER HOW MANY TICKETS WE BUY.

Agree with stupid

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                      mid-Ohio
                      United States
                      Member #9
                      March 24, 2001
                      19828 Posts
                      Posted: May 23, 2012, 9:56 pm - IP Logged

but folks around here disagree and say.....

Are you implying that folks around here are holding you back from winning a jackpot?  Take control and make your own decisions even if they appear stupid in hindsight.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

United States
                        Member #116268
                        September 7, 2011
                        20244 Posts
                        Posted: May 23, 2012, 10:15 pm - IP Logged

Are you implying that folks around here are holding you back from winning a jackpot?  Take control and make your own decisions even if they appear stupid in hindsight.

Im really just asking. How is "better coverage" a better method if each and every line stands an equal chance of hitting the JP.

How can 46 random lines be a better method than 46 lines containing the same 5 numbers and 46 different bonus balls?

Kentucky
                          United States
                          Member #32652
                          February 14, 2006
                          7313 Posts
                          Posted: May 23, 2012, 10:31 pm - IP Logged

If the odds are the same but this method results in 45 second place winners, would that make this method better?

The odds of any 46 QPs winning the jackpot are exactly the same using all 46 bonus numbers but only after long term results could we measure which is better. And only long term results could prove this method better.

With your method, you'll need to hit at least 3 numbers every 10 drawings to show a profit and that ain't easy. Matching 4 numbers will get you $16,750 and enough to cover playing the same combo 46 times in 364 drawings. Without buying a like number of QPs, we'll never know which method is better.

I do personally know a guy who played 3 numbers with each of the other 34 numbers in pairs who hit a $100,000 Pick-5 jackpot and it only cost him $17 per drawing. He had only played his method for less than a month when he won. At $102 a week, I don't know how long he would have continued if he hadn't hit the jackpot.

Factoring in the 45 second place prizes makes your method better but only IF you match all five numbers.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                            mid-Ohio
                            United States
                            Member #9
                            March 24, 2001
                            19828 Posts
                            Posted: May 23, 2012, 10:44 pm - IP Logged

Im really just asking. How is "better coverage" a better method if each and every line stands an equal chance of hitting the JP.

How can 46 random lines be a better method than 46 lines containing the same 5 numbers and 46 different bonus balls?

Checking how 46 lines with different mixes of numbers preformed over the last 722 drawings since 06/24/05 when the MM 5/56+1/46 matrix started might answer you question.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

maximumfun's avatar - Lottery-030.jpg
                              Lavender Rocket

United States
                              Member #124616
                              March 16, 2012
                              2642 Posts
                              Posted: May 23, 2012, 10:45 pm - IP Logged

Hurray!