Welcome Guest
You last visited January 18, 2017, 4:15 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Buying More Than 1 Lottery Ticket Does Not Make Economic Sense Regardless Of The Jackpot Amount.

Topic closed. 41 replies. Last post 5 years ago by rdgrnr.

Page 3 of 3
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #116268
September 7, 2011
20244 Posts
Posted: May 23, 2012, 10:50 pm - IP Logged

The odds of any 46 QPs winning the jackpot are exactly the same using all 46 bonus numbers but only after long term results could we measure which is better. And only long term results could prove this method better.

With your method, you'll need to hit at least 3 numbers every 10 drawings to show a profit and that ain't easy. Matching 4 numbers will get you $16,750 and enough to cover playing the same combo 46 times in 364 drawings. Without buying a like number of QPs, we'll never know which method is better.

I do personally know a guy who played 3 numbers with each of the other 34 numbers in pairs who hit a $100,000 Pick-5 jackpot and it only cost him $17 per drawing. He had only played his method for less than a month when he won. At $102 a week, I don't know how long he would have continued if he hadn't hit the jackpot.

Factoring in the 45 second place prizes makes your method better but only IF you match all five numbers.

Well perhaps we can find a computer programmer who can simulate my method to compete against mediabrats "One In 1000" Results: March 23/24, 2012 method and see who comes out with more cash after each draw?

United States
    Member #116268
    September 7, 2011
    20244 Posts
    Posted: May 23, 2012, 10:57 pm - IP Logged

Checking how 46 lines with different mixes of numbers preformed over the last 722 drawings since 06/24/05 when the MM 5/56+1/46 matrix started might answer you question.

And how da heck im pose ta doo dat?

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
      mid-Ohio
      United States
      Member #9
      March 24, 2001
      19895 Posts
      Posted: May 23, 2012, 11:20 pm - IP Logged

And how da heck im pose ta doo dat?

If you haven't figured out how to come up with 46 lines then you aren't ready ta doo dat.  If you need to construct a history of MM and PB past drawings then you can get all the data at USAMega.  There's a link on the left of this page.

Good luck.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

THRIFTY's avatar - great seal_obverse.jpg
        NEW YORK
        United States
        Member #90535
        April 29, 2010
        12094 Posts
        Posted: May 25, 2012, 9:01 am - IP Logged

I bought 1 Powerball Quick Pick ticket yesterday, and the first number on the single line is the number 4 which came out on the previous drawing as the first number too.

I feel that the store clerk gave me a partial Quick Pick ticket.It isn't the first time that I get repeated numbers from the previous drawing in that store or multiple numbers repeated when I buy multiple tickets.This has been going on in most stores that I buy quick pick tickets.

I have thought about picking my own numbers to avoid this problem, but most players have won the big jackpots with Quick Picks.

US Flag

PLAY THE LOTTERY SOMEDAY-IT IS OKAY TO DREAM!

Kentucky
          United States
          Member #32652
          February 14, 2006
          7341 Posts
          Posted: May 25, 2012, 11:18 am - IP Logged

I bought 1 Powerball Quick Pick ticket yesterday, and the first number on the single line is the number 4 which came out on the previous drawing as the first number too.

I feel that the store clerk gave me a partial Quick Pick ticket.It isn't the first time that I get repeated numbers from the previous drawing in that store or multiple numbers repeated when I buy multiple tickets.This has been going on in most stores that I buy quick pick tickets.

I have thought about picking my own numbers to avoid this problem, but most players have won the big jackpots with Quick Picks.

If you don't like the QPs you're getting, use the QP generator on this site and fill out a playslip.

"but most players have won the big jackpots with Quick Picks."

If 80% of the people wear a blue shirt today, there is an 80% chance the person having a birthday will be wearing a blue shirt. The same logic and math is applied to QPs, but it looks like you don't even know how PB is played. They are going to draw 5 numbers from 1 to 59 and a bonus number from 1 to 35 and the object of the game match those numbers. How does the "qp" on the ticket make it easier to match those numbers?

You said before each combo has an equal chance of being drawn: did you change your mind?

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
            Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
            United States
            Member #73904
            April 28, 2009
            14903 Posts
            Posted: May 25, 2012, 11:50 am - IP Logged

I don't know about NY but in TN the ticket tells you how many numbers were QP at the end of each line.

Check your ticket.White Bounce

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

Bahamas
              Member #114685
              August 5, 2011
              422 Posts
              Posted: May 25, 2012, 11:58 am - IP Logged

In Florida, you can select your white balls and allow the computer to select at random your Powerball number or vice versa but its not possible to select some of the white balls and let the computer randomly select the balance. I am not clear here on what you mean by PARTIAL QP ticket.

"Freedom of Speech? Keep reading and you will discover that freedom comes at a price!"

THRIFTY's avatar - great seal_obverse.jpg
                NEW YORK
                United States
                Member #90535
                April 29, 2010
                12094 Posts
                Posted: May 25, 2012, 12:09 pm - IP Logged

If you don't like the QPs you're getting, use the QP generator on this site and fill out a playslip.

"but most players have won the big jackpots with Quick Picks."

If 80% of the people wear a blue shirt today, there is an 80% chance the person having a birthday will be wearing a blue shirt. The same logic and math is applied to QPs, but it looks like you don't even know how PB is played. They are going to draw 5 numbers from 1 to 59 and a bonus number from 1 to 35 and the object of the game match those numbers. How does the "qp" on the ticket make it easier to match those numbers?

You said before each combo has an equal chance of being drawn: did you change your mind?

Playing less often for less lines is not a bad idea.

Should I buy 1 Mega Millions ticket or 1 Powerball ticket once a year? I will have a chance to win the jackpot as anybody else as long as I buy 1 MM or PB ticket someday.

Should I play MM and PB when the aliens return?

US Flag

PLAY THE LOTTERY SOMEDAY-IT IS OKAY TO DREAM!

TheOtherOne's avatar - Lottery-027.jpg
                  Nashville, TN
                  United States
                  Member #86739
                  February 9, 2010
                  483 Posts
                  Posted: May 25, 2012, 12:15 pm - IP Logged

"Buying More Than 1 Lottery Ticket Does Not Make Economic Sense Regardless Of The Jackpot Amount."

Actually, buying a second ticket doubles your chances.

White Bounce

I agree Ridge.

To the OP, If you are trying to pick the correct number from 1-20 and you buy one 'ticket' that is a 50/50 chance of win or lose. If you buy 20 tickets your chances vastly increase.

Apply the same logic to the lottery scenario a d you will see. You still have a 50/50 win/loss chance for *each ticket* but more shots or chances at being correct.

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                    United States
                    Member #73904
                    April 28, 2009
                    14903 Posts
                    Posted: May 25, 2012, 12:54 pm - IP Logged

In Florida, you can select your white balls and allow the computer to select at random your Powerball number or vice versa but its not possible to select some of the white balls and let the computer randomly select the balance. I am not clear here on what you mean by PARTIAL QP ticket.

In TN, you can select as many or as few numbers as you want and mark the QP box and the terminal will fill in the rest.

At the end of each line it will say, for example: QP 2 or QP 4 or whatever number of boxes you let the terminal fill in.

That's a partial QP ticket.

I don't know if NY works the same way.

--Edmund Burke

Bahamas
                      Member #114685
                      August 5, 2011
                      422 Posts
                      Posted: May 25, 2012, 1:01 pm - IP Logged

I don't know about NY but in TN the ticket tells you how many numbers were QP at the end of each line.

Check your ticket.White Bounce

Thanks for the info!

I'll investigate further just to confirm whether or not that option is available in this state.

"Freedom of Speech? Keep reading and you will discover that freedom comes at a price!"

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                        United States
                        Member #73904
                        April 28, 2009
                        14903 Posts
                        Posted: May 25, 2012, 2:11 pm - IP Logged

Thanks for the info!

I'll investigate further just to confirm whether or not that option is available in this state.

Good luck, I hope your Lottery people are a little more aware of what's going on in Florida than the Tennessee Lottery people are here.

If you call TN, they'll tell you that you can't do it.

But I tried it anyway and found out you can.

--Edmund Burke