Welcome Guest
You last visited December 7, 2016, 7:02 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Will Powerball officials concede?

Topic closed. 18 replies. Last post 5 years ago by maximumfun.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
stripesnsolids's avatar - box
GA
United States
Member #97845
September 25, 2010
40 Posts
Posted: May 13, 2012, 6:03 pm - IP Logged

I know it's only been 4 months since the Powerball change but I was just thinking.....if it doesn't turn around for them do you think they will ever concede and drop the starting jackpots and the roll the price back to $1?

haymaker's avatar - Lottery-012.jpg
    Egg Harbor twp.south Jersey shore
    United States
    Member #112968
    June 29, 2011
    3856 Posts
    Posted: May 13, 2012, 6:45 pm - IP Logged

No, $2 is here to stay.

still enough ppl. playing, and everyday lots of ppl. turn 18 = new customers.

Extraordinary Popular Delusions & the Madness of Crowds    -- Charles Mackay  LL.D.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
      mid-Ohio
      United States
      Member #9
      March 24, 2001
      19828 Posts
      Posted: May 13, 2012, 7:23 pm - IP Logged

I know it's only been 4 months since the Powerball change but I was just thinking.....if it doesn't turn around for them do you think they will ever concede and drop the starting jackpots and the roll the price back to $1?

In one of John Wayne's movie the main character said "Never apologize, it's a sign of weakness".

The lottery managers version of that is "Never admit you guessed wrong, it's a sign you don't know what you're doing.  Instead guess again and come up with a new and improved scheme". 

If anything they would probably reduce the starting jackpot and change the payout for match 1+1 to $6 instead of $4 which is the same as 0+1 pays and say this new and improved game allows the winners of smaller prizes to win more but the $2 ticket stays regardless.

It happened before.  Back in '07, Ohio dropped its $2/ticket Lot'O Play game after a year and came back with an "improved version" of their old Super Lotto Plus game (6/49+1) with a $1/ticket Classic Lotto(6/49).  Its starting jackpot was $1M instead of the $4M? of SLP and the jackpot increased $100K after each drawing instead of $2M? like SLP.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

weshar75's avatar - Lottery-042.jpg
        Mcminnville, Oregon
        United States
        Member #3013
        December 13, 2003
        3051 Posts
        Posted: May 13, 2012, 8:06 pm - IP Logged

I do not think that powerball has to do anything but be powerball.  If you do not like the $2 and $3 tickets then you can play mega millions which is having a good year because of this record run they had.  But powerball is still doing good too.  I do not know if powerball can have a record run like mega millions but it would be nice to see this year.  I like that the jackpot grows faster in powerball now so going back to $1 and $20 million starting pots would be foolish in my opinion.  They are going to have some good sized jackpots this year but maybe not record ones.  I still will play for them because I do not have that kind of money laying around my apartment.-weshar75

United States
          Member #111442
          May 25, 2011
          6323 Posts
          Posted: May 13, 2012, 8:23 pm - IP Logged

$2 PB is here to stay. The more logical question, is when the next price hike will take place? Maybe in 8-10 years we may see another $1-2 increase,

by further "enhancing" the perceived value of the game.   Stretch

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
            Zeta Reticuli Star System
            United States
            Member #30470
            January 17, 2006
            10351 Posts
            Posted: May 13, 2012, 10:58 pm - IP Logged

The $2 PB is the lottery version of "If you build it they will come."

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

maximumfun's avatar - Lottery-030.jpg
              Lavender Rocket

United States
              Member #124616
              March 16, 2012
              2642 Posts
              Posted: May 14, 2012, 12:02 am - IP Logged

No, $2 is here to stay.

still enough ppl. playing, and everyday lots of ppl. turn 18 = new customers.

I wonder how long it will be before the lottery decides that another 'new' targeting method (that the cc'd's discovered LONG ago) is the college crowd... and start luring them in with 'incentives' to get them hooked...

Pennsylvania
                United States
                Member #78052
                August 6, 2009
                785 Posts
                Posted: May 14, 2012, 12:16 am - IP Logged

I thought it was a stupid idea when I first heard it.   NOW Pa Lottery wants to sell the "Business" to a private owner?   We have some idiots that manage our everyday life right now.   One doesn't have to be smart to get into a powerful position, just cunning and back stabbing, with a large dose of plain evil in their personality. 

I haven't played the powerball since they set the tickets at two bucks and not going to.   Switched over to the MegaBall, and if they do it to that (which I doubt) I'll stop playing it also. 

Use to be our Government would protect us, protect the country.  Now they protect big business and themselves.   We are ....................you fill in the blank.

Life Is Wonderful If You Don't Weaken

stripesnsolids's avatar - box
                  GA
                  United States
                  Member #97845
                  September 25, 2010
                  40 Posts
                  Posted: May 14, 2012, 7:18 am - IP Logged

I think RJ is right.  IF any change occurs it will probably be a "restructuring".

NightStalker's avatar - 50logo
                    East of Columbus, OH
                    United States
                    Member #120843
                    December 28, 2011
                    451 Posts
                    Posted: May 14, 2012, 7:36 am - IP Logged

It won't be long before the PB has a large jackpot and people are playing more.  but a restructuring of the payouts may be in order in the near future.

Life's Too Short To Be Unhappy Cool

Kentucky
                      United States
                      Member #32652
                      February 14, 2006
                      7310 Posts
                      Posted: May 14, 2012, 3:40 pm - IP Logged

When Powerball made the change they predicted larger jackpots and more $1 million winners. Average players consider the $40 million starting jackpot "a large jackpot" and there are many more new millionaires who matched 5 + 0 without using Powerplay. For those who expected $1/2 billion jackpots, only time will tel if that happens.

The states that only sell PB might be experiencing a drop in ticket sales, but the states with both games have a cash cow.

maximumfun's avatar - Lottery-030.jpg
                        Lavender Rocket

United States
                        Member #124616
                        March 16, 2012
                        2642 Posts
                        Posted: May 14, 2012, 10:49 pm - IP Logged

Based - somewhat - upon this topic, i decided to give PB a boost (like my 1 extra ticket sale will matter), and i purchased a 3$ ticket... and this is history for me... since i played the powerplay option.  yikes!  (figured i had better to my part to support powerball)  LOL

Boney526's avatar - NjlpLogo
                          New Jersey
                          United States
                          Member #99032
                          October 18, 2010
                          1439 Posts
                          Posted: May 15, 2012, 12:09 am - IP Logged

Nope, because it was a good decision.  It gives the players two options, and has caused Mega Millions sales to increase.  In the short 30 some odd draws that have occured in PB, the players have been unusually lucky, but still (not including the first real big JP partly seeded from the old PB) there has still been one 172 million jackpot.

I think this decision will increase overall sales between Mega Millions and Powerball.

LottoGuyBC's avatar - Lottery-050.jpg
                            British Columbia
                            Canada
                            Member #116101
                            September 4, 2011
                            4033 Posts
                            Posted: May 15, 2012, 7:21 am - IP Logged

$2 PB is here to stay. The more logical question, is when the next price hike will take place? Maybe in 8-10 years we may see another $1-2 increase,

by further "enhancing" the perceived value of the game.   Stretch

another $1-2 increase

Thud

"You have to be in it to win it!"

NY
                              United States
                              Member #127621
                              May 5, 2012
                              19 Posts
                              Posted: May 15, 2012, 12:45 pm - IP Logged

I would rather buy 2 of SM for $1m-1:3.8m than 1 of PB for $2  1:5.1m.  I get 4 of Lotto for $2; and jp is now $10.5m in NY.  Consider, if both PB and MM are say $80m, which would you buy $10 of?