Welcome Guest
You last visited December 4, 2016, 7:21 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

When was the last time you saw a multi-state lottery jackpot...

Topic closed. 21 replies. Last post 5 years ago by DC81.

Page 2 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
maximumfun's avatar - Lottery-030.jpg
Lavender Rocket

United States
Member #124616
March 16, 2012
2642 Posts
Posted: May 20, 2012, 3:35 pm - IP Logged

Yeah.    If jackpots keep getting winners in the first 5 or 6 draws, it may prove to be less than profitable for the "bottom line."   The lotteries are going to have to cover the jackpots out of profits.

But we'll see.   A few giant jackpots might make up for it in their minds.

Define giant.  100M is pretty giant to me, I suppose you mean what I would call stratospheric (over 250M$)?  Surely they considered the lower (hopefully - from their point of view - only at the beginning) ticket sales, but that over time more people would play and just suck up the 2$ entry fee for their chance to dream the dream.

I was pretty stunned that the pot still only grew by 10M.  surely by now it should be growing by 15 or 20M a rollover - shouldnt it?

Bahamas
    Member #114685
    August 5, 2011
    422 Posts
    Posted: May 20, 2012, 3:39 pm - IP Logged

Define giant.  100M is pretty giant to me, I suppose you mean what I would call stratospheric (over 250M$)?  Surely they considered the lower (hopefully - from their point of view - only at the beginning) ticket sales, but that over time more people would play and just suck up the 2$ entry fee for their chance to dream the dream.

I was pretty stunned that the pot still only grew by 10M.  surely by now it should be growing by 15 or 20M a rollover - shouldnt it?

I thought it would be rolling over by 13-15m after 80m as it should be aying for itself by now. Players must be craving larger jackpots as promised especially after the 656m in the mega millions game combined with trhe fact that one has to spend twice as much to play PB.

"Freedom of Speech? Keep reading and you will discover that freedom comes at a price!"

Guru101's avatar - rw6jhh
      Indiana
      United States
      Member #48725
      January 7, 2007
      1953 Posts
      Posted: May 21, 2012, 5:11 pm - IP Logged

It's just ridiculous. I don't even play Powerball anymore.

Gonna win.Big Smile

Morrison, IL
        United States
        Member #4657
        May 13, 2004
        1884 Posts
        Posted: May 24, 2012, 11:59 pm - IP Logged

Well, after it rolled eight times, Powerball is FINALLY out of its guaranteed jackpot range.

---

New Jersey
          United States
          Member #21206
          September 4, 2005
          949 Posts
          Posted: May 25, 2012, 8:04 pm - IP Logged

Well, after it rolled eight times, Powerball is FINALLY out of its guaranteed jackpot range.

I noticed.

What's interesting is that despite all of their "bigger and better" hype, the jackpot is actually only equal to what the old dollar ticket produced in 9 rollovers.

The expectation value, based on averages for previous sales numbers, is roughly 0.41 on a jackpot greater than 100M annuity.   That's pretty pathetic.

I played around with some numbers and discovered that to have an expectation value around 1.0, the jackpot would need to be an all time record, probably close to a billion bucks annuity.  We'll see if they get that.  It may take them years to do it.

maximumfun's avatar - Lottery-030.jpg
            Lavender Rocket

United States
            Member #124616
            March 16, 2012
            2642 Posts
            Posted: May 25, 2012, 9:33 pm - IP Logged

yikes!  i got so tired of waiting for it to jump that i stopped paying attention... that is not good (for pb).  that means that at least **my** interest is waning.

DC81's avatar - batman39
              MI
              United States
              Member #54830
              August 31, 2007
              985 Posts
              Posted: May 27, 2012, 3:33 am - IP Logged

I noticed.

What's interesting is that despite all of their "bigger and better" hype, the jackpot is actually only equal to what the old dollar ticket produced in 9 rollovers.

The expectation value, based on averages for previous sales numbers, is roughly 0.41 on a jackpot greater than 100M annuity.   That's pretty pathetic.

I played around with some numbers and discovered that to have an expectation value around 1.0, the jackpot would need to be an all time record, probably close to a billion bucks annuity.  We'll see if they get that.  It may take them years to do it.

They won't even come close to MM's new record setting jackpot before they mess with the game again. LOL

You can't predict random.