Welcome Guest
You last visited December 8, 2016, 9:11 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

$100 Raffle

Topic closed. 19 replies. Last post 5 years ago by nsv314.

Page 2 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
HoLeeKau's avatar - YheaShea
Idaho
United States
Member #94283
July 17, 2010
2284 Posts
Posted: May 26, 2012, 11:23 am - IP Logged

Depends where the house is.

Eagle Idaho, an upscale bedroom community of Boise.  I wouldn't be interested in keeping it, I'd have to sell it.

maximumfun's avatar - Lottery-030.jpg
    Lavender Rocket

United States
    Member #124616
    March 16, 2012
    2642 Posts
    Posted: May 26, 2012, 11:59 am - IP Logged

sounds like a great thing for everyone... even the 'losers' are winners cuz they contribute to st. judes!

HoLeeKau's avatar - YheaShea
      Idaho
      United States
      Member #94283
      July 17, 2010
      2284 Posts
      Posted: May 26, 2012, 1:39 pm - IP Logged

sounds like a great thing for everyone... even the 'losers' are winners cuz they contribute to st. judes!

Very true.  It is a good cause.

There are other prizes valued at around $1K each, about half of which I'm interested in.  I think I'll buy just one ticket.

United States
        Member #115803
        August 28, 2011
        127 Posts
        Posted: May 29, 2012, 10:37 am - IP Logged

Depends where the house is.

St Jude's raffles off about 20-30 houses a year in various cities across the country.

You pretty much only hear about the raffles that are happening near your local area, as that's where the marketing/promotion is concentrated. 

And, realistically, you have to be local to buy a ticket too.  Unless you travel to the area and/or know someone who will buy the ticket in person for you.  Tickets technically can be purchased online, but it is restricted by ZIP code...online tickets can only be purchased by someone local to the house's location.

Current drawings happening across the country this year are:

CA:  North Valley, Bakersfield, Fresno, and Central Coast

CO:  Castle Rock

GA:  Middle Georgia and Columbus

ID:  Boise

IL:  Peoria

IN:  Evansville

KY:  Bowling Green and Paducah

LA:  Baton Rouge, Lafayette, Monroe, and Shreveport

MO:  St Louis, Kansas City, and Springfield

MS:  Jackson

OH:  Columbus and Cincinnati

OK:  Oklahoma City and Tulsa

TN:  Nashville, Memphis, and Chattanooga

WV:  Morgantown and Charleston

VA:  Hampton Roads

(Sorry for boring everyone with the technical details, but I guess I'm the closest thing LP has to a resident expert on this particular topic.  LOL)

United States
          Member #115803
          August 28, 2011
          127 Posts
          Posted: May 29, 2012, 10:42 am - IP Logged
          The cities in any given year are basically determined by where they can get builders and suppliers to donate the labor/materials to build the house, and also other businesses to donate the secondary prizes.
          Agree with the other person who mentioned that St Jude's is a good cause.  That was the way I looked at my ticket purchase...basically that I was giving $100 to St Jude's.  I never thought that I'd actually luck out and win the grand prize.  LOL.

Actually, one of the secondary prizes was free groceries for a year at a local store...being a parent of young children, I was really hoping to win that.  Or the $1,000 Target gift card that was also given out.  I thought I'd have a better chance of winning one of the smaller (but still nice) prizes...didn't want to get my hopes up about winning the actual house.   
          P.S.  There was a home given away in one of the Detroit suburbs a few years back.  It was shortly after my win - I have a lot of friends in metro Detroit, and after my win they were all snapping up the tickets hoping my luck would rub off on them.  Smiley