Welcome Guest
You last visited December 9, 2016, 4:13 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

lottery

Topic closed. 20 replies. Last post 5 years ago by RJOh.

Page 2 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
mid-Ohio
United States
Member #9
March 24, 2001
19830 Posts
Posted: June 8, 2012, 8:35 pm - IP Logged

Hello, someone knows about positional probabilities of the lottery numbers? That is, more likely to see certain numbers fall into certain positions?

Have you considered rather than looking at positional probabilities looking at positional actualities, that is which numbers have actually followed the winning numbers in those positions in past drawings.  I've tracked numbers in Ohio Classic Lotto drawings since it started and find lately at least three repeat and the rest are ones that followed other numbers in different positions.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

lottoburg's avatar - wiggle
    NYC
    United States
    Member #54483
    August 20, 2007
    886 Posts
    Posted: June 8, 2012, 8:54 pm - IP Logged

Then the math in that draw becomes much more complex and the odds become massive, I personally would not play such a draw unless they offered prizes for match 2

Hi, Jamie:

Long time no see! I remember that you told us you will finish the new version of LSA in the Jun.

How about your new LSA now?

Best  regards,

lb

Calgary, Alberta
      Canada
      Member #128837
      June 3, 2012
      12 Posts
      Posted: June 9, 2012, 12:24 am - IP Logged

Would you recommend playing all numbers?  I remember reading a story on here about a Math Department at some British University doing this for about two years and winning.  It's not prohibitively expensive so it may be a logical way of playing.  However, I wrote a program to generate a matrix based on filters but it didn't prove particulary valuable.  I'd generate a thousand matrices per draw and other than the odd 5/6, it wasn't producing enough winners to make it worthwhile.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
        mid-Ohio
        United States
        Member #9
        March 24, 2001
        19830 Posts
        Posted: June 9, 2012, 1:02 am - IP Logged

Would you recommend playing all numbers?  I remember reading a story on here about a Math Department at some British University doing this for about two years and winning.  It's not prohibitively expensive so it may be a logical way of playing.  However, I wrote a program to generate a matrix based on filters but it didn't prove particulary valuable.  I'd generate a thousand matrices per draw and other than the odd 5/6, it wasn't producing enough winners to make it worthwhile.

With only 258 of the possible 13,983,816 combinations having 5 of the 6 winning numbers, you would need to generate more than 50,000 combinations to have even one of them unless you knew something unique about the winning combinations that reduced the need to generate so many combinations.

Many at LP have worked on discovering such a unique group of numbers and some have even claimed to have discovered them but none have proved it by winning a jackpot or even getting a 5of6 repeatedly.

Evil Looking       

bgonçalves
          Brasil
          Member #92564
          June 9, 2010
          2125 Posts
          Posted: June 9, 2012, 9:00 am - IP Logged

Have you considered rather than looking at positional probabilities looking at positional actualities, that is which numbers have actually followed the winning numbers in those positions in past drawings.  I've tracked numbers in Ohio Classic Lotto drawings since it started and find lately at least three repeat and the rest are ones that followed other numbers in different positions.

HR, you have an example in an excel spreadsheet that has been written up, Can you give more details, for good!

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
            mid-Ohio
            United States
            Member #9
            March 24, 2001
            19830 Posts
            Posted: June 10, 2012, 12:46 am - IP Logged

Have you considered rather than looking at positional probabilities looking at positional actualities, that is which numbers have actually followed the winning numbers in those positions in past drawings.  I've tracked numbers in Ohio Classic Lotto drawings since it started and find lately at least three repeat and the rest are ones that followed other numbers in different positions.

HR, you have an example in an excel spreadsheet that has been written up, Can you give more details, for good!

I don't do Excel but if you use Excel and have data files for the games you play, it shouldn't be hard to come up with something.  I'm still using GWBasic and it only took a few lines to code a routine to collect and display the data for each position.

Evil Looking