Welcome Guest
You last visited January 24, 2017, 6:17 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Lottery Winners

Topic closed. 21 replies. Last post 5 years ago by x1kosmic.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink

Have you ever asked a lottery winner for a donation?

No [ 34 ]  [91.89%]
Yes [ 1 ]  [2.70%]
Yes, only if they offered sharing [ 1 ]  [2.70%]
Yes, they were friends [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
Yes, they were relatives [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
Asked, they refused [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
Asked, they complied with an amt $10,000.00 +/- [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
Yes, complied with $_________ [ 1 ]  [2.70%]
Other [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
Total Valid Votes [ 37 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 1 ]  
mylollipop's avatar - Trek STLOGO6.png

United States
Member #24380
October 21, 2005
623 Posts
Posted: May 27, 2012, 1:33 am - IP Logged

Many Lottery Winners 'Promise' they will help you, will give to this charity, that one or the other when they win and do the press conference.  have any of you actually had a winner give you any kind of donation large or small and have you asked?

ttech10's avatar - blobdude
    Texas
    United States
    Member #92330
    June 5, 2010
    887 Posts
    Posted: May 27, 2012, 4:10 am - IP Logged

Honestly I would never expect a lotter winner to give me money. Why? Because I wouldn't give anyone money as a winner.

I'd maybe give money to the person who sold me the ticket but that's about it, aside from family at least. I will admit thought that last week I told some random guy in line that I'd give him something if I won the jackpot, though it was mainly small talk since he wouldn't be quite in line.

hearsetrax's avatar - 0118

United States
      Member #52345
      May 21, 2007
      2680 Posts
      Posted: May 27, 2012, 6:24 am - IP Logged

Honestly I would never expect a lotter winner to give me money. Why? Because I wouldn't give anyone money as a winner.

I'd maybe give money to the person who sold me the ticket but that's about it, aside from family at least. I will admit thought that last week I told some random guy in line that I'd give him something if I won the jackpot, though it was mainly small talk since he wouldn't be quite in line.

I Agree! cept for the part of giving money to the clerk that sold me the ticket ....

as the store gets a bonus for selling the ticket

United States
        Member #111442
        May 25, 2011
        6323 Posts
        Posted: May 27, 2012, 7:59 am - IP Logged

I know of lot of "winners", but none that had won a large lottery. Kind of relative however, some people scream and shout if they won $20 off

a scratcher.   Banana    I might consider leaving a safe or a few alarm clocks on their porch, in lieu of actually asking for a handout.   Naughty

hearsetrax's avatar - 0118

United States
          Member #52345
          May 21, 2007
          2680 Posts
          Posted: May 27, 2012, 8:44 am - IP Logged

I know of lot of "winners", but none that had won a large lottery. Kind of relative however, some people scream and shout if they won $20 off

a scratcher.   Banana    I might consider leaving a safe or a few alarm clocks on their porch, in lieu of actually asking for a handout.   Naughty

if you really wanted to be Naughty.....

you'd litter thar house with E-crickets and or the few noisemakers from  think geek

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
            Zeta Reticuli Star System
            United States
            Member #30470
            January 17, 2006
            10392 Posts
            Posted: May 27, 2012, 9:40 am - IP Logged

Just my $.02 but I don't think charities that were told they'd be given something have anyhing to do with an individual being a mooch towards someone who has won a jackpot.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

United States
              Member #111442
              May 25, 2011
              6323 Posts
              Posted: May 27, 2012, 9:58 am - IP Logged

if you really wanted to be Naughty.....

you'd litter thar house with E-crickets and or the few noisemakers from  think geek

Nah, the alarm clocks should work just fine.  Conehead

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
                United States
                Member #73904
                April 28, 2009
                14903 Posts
                Posted: May 27, 2012, 1:02 pm - IP Logged

Absolutely not and I never would in a million years.

I don't ask nobody fer nothin'.

Reminds me of a Charlie Daniels song:

People say I'm no good

Crazy as a loon

Cuz I get stoned in the mornin'

And get drunk in the afternoon

Kinda like my ol' blue tick hound

I like to lay around in the shade

I ain't got much of nothin' at all

But I dam sure got it made

And I ain't askin' nobody fer nothin'

If I cain't git it on my own

If you don't like the way I'm livin'

Ya just leave this long-haired country boy alone

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

United States
                  Member #128373
                  May 22, 2012
                  201 Posts
                  Posted: May 27, 2012, 2:35 pm - IP Logged

Once people close to you know you have cash, they will love you to death or love to hate you to death.  You will make 100 enemies before you make one new friend.

maximumfun's avatar - Lottery-030.jpg
                    Lavender Rocket

United States
                    Member #124616
                    March 16, 2012
                    2642 Posts
                    Posted: May 27, 2012, 4:43 pm - IP Logged

Many Lottery Winners 'Promise' they will help you, will give to this charity, that one or the other when they win and do the press conference.  have any of you actually had a winner give you any kind of donation large or small and have you asked?

The lottery winners that I have run into are just that:  Lottery winners.  They are people who have been incredibly blessed.  No I have not asked them for money.  Nor have I asked the millionaires down the road from me for a hand out.  Nor have I asked the government for a hand out.

All 3 have one thing in common to me.  It's not my money (well arguably the government money... ).  Regardless it's not my way. 

For my lottery win?  Will I give money to those who ask me?  Better question is have I given money to people who have asked me prior to said win.  Depends.  Depends on who it was, why and when they were asking me.  Most of the money I have given out (pretty close to over 80%) has been given out because I have noticed a need, and then (after checking with my dh and getting his ok) met the need WITHOUT being asked.

Nothing worse than making someone beg when you can see them in need.  Either people help or they don't.  Either they SHOULD help or NOT.  Likewise, either people will take responsiblity for themselves or they won't.

Lottery money is no different from a killing made on the commodities market (had my dh made such a killing)... both are luck, and timing combined with skill and good sence. (in my opinion).  I don't consider the money made in the stock market or in any other endeavor to be 'community' money.

United States
                      Member #111442
                      May 25, 2011
                      6323 Posts
                      Posted: May 27, 2012, 4:54 pm - IP Logged

The lottery winners that I have run into are just that:  Lottery winners.  They are people who have been incredibly blessed.  No I have not asked them for money.  Nor have I asked the millionaires down the road from me for a hand out.  Nor have I asked the government for a hand out.

All 3 have one thing in common to me.  It's not my money (well arguably the government money... ).  Regardless it's not my way. 

For my lottery win?  Will I give money to those who ask me?  Better question is have I given money to people who have asked me prior to said win.  Depends.  Depends on who it was, why and when they were asking me.  Most of the money I have given out (pretty close to over 80%) has been given out because I have noticed a need, and then (after checking with my dh and getting his ok) met the need WITHOUT being asked.

Nothing worse than making someone beg when you can see them in need.  Either people help or they don't.  Either they SHOULD help or NOT.  Likewise, either people will take responsiblity for themselves or they won't.

Lottery money is no different from a killing made on the commodities market (had my dh made such a killing)... both are luck, and timing combined with skill and good sence. (in my opinion).  I don't consider the money made in the stock market or in any other endeavor to be 'community' money.

Excellent summation max! I admire your ethics, and sincere desire to help others in obvious need.

On another note, was just kidding about leaving alarm clocks on a big winners porch.  Jester Laugh

maximumfun's avatar - Lottery-030.jpg
                        Lavender Rocket

United States
                        Member #124616
                        March 16, 2012
                        2642 Posts
                        Posted: May 27, 2012, 5:06 pm - IP Logged

Excellent summation max! I admire your ethics, and sincere desire to help others in obvious need.

On another note, was just kidding about leaving alarm clocks on a big winners porch.  Jester Laugh

You saying now they aren't 'worthy' of your gift?  **snicker**  mayhap they might be in NEED of an alarm clock...

United States
                          Member #111442
                          May 25, 2011
                          6323 Posts
                          Posted: May 27, 2012, 5:14 pm - IP Logged

You saying now they aren't 'worthy' of your gift?  **snicker**  mayhap they might be in NEED of an alarm clock...

Yeah with their new found wealth, an alarm clock is probably near the top of their "must have" list.  I'll let them sleep for now,  Bed

wouldn't want to disturb their exciting jackpot dreams. Stretch

haymaker's avatar - Lottery-012.jpg
                            Egg Harbor twp.south Jersey shore
                            United States
                            Member #112968
                            June 29, 2011
                            3857 Posts
                            Posted: May 27, 2012, 5:15 pm - IP Logged

Picked no, I don't know any big winners, unless they did't tell me about it, and thats  OK too.

I suspect my one cousin my have won, but i never asked and never will unless i win and want to tell him.

reason i think he may have won, is he retired early @ 55

and moved to a small town 300 some mi. away,

where he did,nt know anyone,

and thats advice i read on LP, long after he moved.

Extraordinary Popular Delusions & the Madness of Crowds    -- Charles Mackay  LL.D.

United States
                              Member #116268
                              September 7, 2011
                              20244 Posts
                              Posted: May 27, 2012, 5:23 pm - IP Logged

Picked no, I don't know any big winners, unless they did't tell me about it, and thats  OK too.

I suspect my one cousin my have won, but i never asked and never will unless i win and want to tell him.

reason i think he may have won, is he retired early @ 55

and moved to a small town 300 some mi. away,

where he did,nt know anyone,

and thats advice i read on LP, long after he moved.

Sounds like something a small helpless animal would do. Scurry off to a hidden location and hope no one notices.

I did meet a lady once who was proclaiming that she had won some big thing and my first thought was WELL do you want to share it???? But I held my peace and didn't ask.