Welcome Guest
You last visited December 10, 2016, 5:30 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

How many people are not sure how much they spend on the lottery?

Topic closed. 64 replies. Last post 5 years ago by IPlayWeekly.

Page 1 of 5
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #122468
February 1, 2012
530 Posts
Posted: May 30, 2012, 10:57 am - IP Logged

Hi,

I'm just wondering how many people are not sure how much money they spend

on the lottery. I was cleaning up and found tons of mm, powerball and mass cash

tickets along with some scratchers, these were from last year and this year. I've never

kept a total of how much I spend each year (and it's been about 2 years now that I've been

playing the lottery). Anyway it made me realize that I do spend a lot even though I might

just buy one lottery ticket per game for mm, pb and mass cash.  I just can't seem to go cold

turkey and stop playing. Yesterday I won 200 dollars on a scratch ticket (it had been over a year

since I last won 200 on a ticket) I was so happy yet unfortunately it's not as if I never buy scratch

tickets so in essence I've lost far more playing than I've won. Even when I tell myself I'm on a

budget I still play at least a mm, pb or mashcash ticket. Really wish I could stop playing the scratchers but

still play those. Now yesterday for example when I won the 200 dollars I took 25 dollars out of that win and

bought a 20 dollar and a 5 dollar scratcher (lost on both).  Maybe what stops me is the fact that I like so

many other people keep saying I just need that one ticket to win and everything will be ok. Yes that's what

the lottery is hoping that people like myself will not be able to stop playing. Just wondered if other's were

like myself.

haymaker's avatar - Lottery-012.jpg
    Egg Harbor twp.south Jersey shore
    United States
    Member #112968
    June 29, 2011
    3856 Posts
    Posted: May 30, 2012, 12:44 pm - IP Logged

I know exactly how much i spend, at least since i created my current budget of $15 per week.

Now yesterday i spent $33 cause i had $18 in tips and wanted to try Thrifty's shotgun method,

so i bought 9 QPs on pic6 for 2 draws.

Extraordinary Popular Delusions & the Madness of Crowds    -- Charles Mackay  LL.D.

United States
      Member #111442
      May 25, 2011
      6323 Posts
      Posted: May 30, 2012, 12:53 pm - IP Logged

I know exactly how much i spend, at least since i created my current budget of $15 per week.

Now yesterday i spent $33 cause i had $18 in tips and wanted to try Thrifty's shotgun method,

What is this thing you call a "budget"?   What?

RedStang's avatar - tallman zps6gf4inoc.jpg
        NY
        United States
        Member #121961
        January 21, 2012
        3157 Posts
        Posted: May 30, 2012, 12:57 pm - IP Logged

If you can afford it, spend it. We throw away money on mortgage interest, taxes, or rent every month, so why not play heavy on the lotto. I'm getting tired of everone winning around me, so I cut way down for now and still spend at-least 60$ a week. Any win over 100$, i usually fill my gas tank or get beer, then spend the balance on lotto. I  play scratchers too, and often wonder where that golden ticket will be found. Nothing wrong with going Cold turkey. It's good with bacon,yellow american and mayo.  GL

United States
          Member #122468
          February 1, 2012
          530 Posts
          Posted: May 30, 2012, 1:17 pm - IP Logged

Hi Haymaker,

That's great that you know how much you spend on the lottery. $15 dollars per week

that your doing sounds reasonable. I don't know what pic6 is, I just play PB, MM and

Mass Cash.

United States
            Member #122468
            February 1, 2012
            530 Posts
            Posted: May 30, 2012, 1:21 pm - IP Logged

If you can afford it, spend it. We throw away money on mortgage interest, taxes, or rent every month, so why not play heavy on the lotto. I'm getting tired of everone winning around me, so I cut way down for now and still spend at-least 60$ a week. Any win over 100$, i usually fill my gas tank or get beer, then spend the balance on lotto. I  play scratchers too, and often wonder where that golden ticket will be found. Nothing wrong with going Cold turkey. It's good with bacon,yellow american and mayo.  GL

Hi RedStang,

Guess we both are wondering where that golden ticket is. It's good that you were able to cut down on

your spending but still play. Like your comment about cold turkey, lol. What bothers me is knowing that if I

hadn't spent the money on the lottery these past few years, then that would be money I would have now.

I've accepted the fact that I can't stop playing but hopefully will not let it get way out of control where the

intervention comes into play, lol.

HoLeeKau's avatar - YheaShea
              Idaho
              United States
              Member #94283
              July 17, 2010
              2284 Posts
              Posted: May 30, 2012, 1:26 pm - IP Logged

I know approximately how much I spend, but occasionally I'll do a kind of test to make sure.

The only thing I pay cash for is lottery.  I was out of cash around the 15th and this time only got $20 out of the ATM since I'm supposed to only be spending $10 a week.  Today's the last drawing of the month and I have $1 left, so I know I'm on track.

Some weeks I spend more if both the PB and MM jackpots are high.  Some weeks I spend less if they've both been won.  But on average I know just about what I'm spending.

mediabrat's avatar - 18z0typ
                upstate NY
                United States
                Member #108791
                March 31, 2011
                549 Posts
                Posted: May 30, 2012, 2:23 pm - IP Logged

I know approximately how much I spend because I tend to play the same number of lines every week.  I might change thing up on a monthly basis depending on promotions the Lottery is running (buy $X on one ticket, get $Y free in Quick Picks), but it's only a few dollars' variance, nothing huge.  I rarely get scratchers, so that doesn't enter into my spending.

Patriot

United States
                  Member #112968
                  June 29, 2011
                  3856 Posts
                  Posted: May 30, 2012, 2:56 pm - IP Logged

What is this thing you call a "budget"?   What?

Ya know, decideing ahead of time how much you can afford for a certain catagory,

and then spending only that amount or less.

weekly

JC5  $7

PIC6  $2

MM  $6

total  $15 a wk.

Extraordinary Popular Delusions & the Madness of Crowds    -- Charles Mackay  LL.D.

United States
                    Member #111442
                    May 25, 2011
                    6323 Posts
                    Posted: May 30, 2012, 3:02 pm - IP Logged

Ya know, decideing ahead of time how much you can afford for a certain catagory,

and then spending only that amount or less.

weekly

JC5  $7

PIC6  $2

MM  $6

total  $15 a wk.

I get it now! Idea  Only thing is, I can never seem to stick to one of those things.   No Nod    Must be a defective gene I inherited from my gambling father.

United States
                      Member #112968
                      June 29, 2011
                      3856 Posts
                      Posted: May 30, 2012, 3:04 pm - IP Logged

Hi Haymaker,

That's great that you know how much you spend on the lottery. $15 dollars per week

that your doing sounds reasonable. I don't know what pic6 is, I just play PB, MM and

Mass Cash.

PIC6 is jersey's 6/49 game. 2 times a week,

which starts @ 2mils and has currently grown to 18.2 mils,

and i'm having a hard time trying to find out the last time it was this high.

I rarely play powerball, even before the price increase.

United States
                        Member #112968
                        June 29, 2011
                        3856 Posts
                        Posted: May 30, 2012, 3:08 pm - IP Logged

I get it now! Idea  Only thing is, I can never seem to stick to one of those things.   No Nod    Must be a defective gene I inherited from my gambling father.

If my Father gambled, he kept it a secret from me, only thing i ever seen him buy was a 50/50 ticket coming out of church.

He was a bigtime boxing fan so he may have bet on that.

United States
                          Member #112968
                          June 29, 2011
                          3856 Posts
                          Posted: May 30, 2012, 3:11 pm - IP Logged

You're making me hungrey, never had it w/ bacon i'll have to try that.

United States
                            Member #111442
                            May 25, 2011
                            6323 Posts
                            Posted: May 30, 2012, 3:14 pm - IP Logged

If my Father gambled, he kept it a secret from me, only thing i ever seen him buy was a 50/50 ticket coming out of church.

He was a bigtime boxing fan so he may have bet on that.

That's a good thing! We don't need bad influences in our life.

Just did a quick jackpot history for pick 6 NJ haymaker, back on Thursday, June 4 2009, it was up to 24.3 million!

United States
                              Member #112968
                              June 29, 2011
                              3856 Posts
                              Posted: May 30, 2012, 3:17 pm - IP Logged

That's a good thing! We don't need bad influences in our life.

Just did a quick jackpot history for pick 6 NJ haymaker, back on Thursday, June 4 2009, it was up to 24.3 million!

Thanks for that JP history, how did you find it so fast ?