Welcome Guest
You last visited December 4, 2016, 11:14 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

How many people are not sure how much they spend on the lottery?

Topic closed. 64 replies. Last post 4 years ago by IPlayWeekly.

Page 2 of 5
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #111442
May 25, 2011
6323 Posts
Posted: May 30, 2012, 3:21 pm - IP Logged

Thanks for that JP history, how did you find it so fast ?

Just went to lottery results here on LP. Clicked on NJ pick6 Jackpot history. (there are 35 pages of history). I only went back 11 pages.

Could of been even higher jackpots prior to that, just didn't have the patience to find out.   Sleep

haymaker's avatar - Lottery-012.jpg
    Egg Harbor twp.south Jersey shore
    United States
    Member #112968
    June 29, 2011
    3854 Posts
    Posted: May 30, 2012, 3:22 pm - IP Logged

I know approximately how much I spend because I tend to play the same number of lines every week.  I might change thing up on a monthly basis depending on promotions the Lottery is running (buy $X on one ticket, get $Y free in Quick Picks), but it's only a few dollars' variance, nothing huge.  I rarely get scratchers, so that doesn't enter into my spending.

Yes, buying the same thing makes it easier cause you don't have to keep track.

I rarely buy scratcher either.

Extraordinary Popular Delusions & the Madness of Crowds    -- Charles Mackay  LL.D.

United States
      Member #112968
      June 29, 2011
      3854 Posts
      Posted: May 30, 2012, 3:24 pm - IP Logged

Just went to lottery results here on LP. Clicked on NJ pick6 Jackpot history. (there are 35 pages of history). I only went back 11 pages.

Could of been even higher jackpots prior to that, just didn't have the patience to find out.   Sleep

Well see that i was just looking in the wrong places, thanks again.

Extraordinary Popular Delusions & the Madness of Crowds    -- Charles Mackay  LL.D.

United States
        Member #111442
        May 25, 2011
        6323 Posts
        Posted: May 30, 2012, 3:25 pm - IP Logged

Well see that i was just looking in the wrong places, thanks again.

Correction however, I actually went back 11 pages, not 5. Your welcome!

United States
          Member #122468
          February 1, 2012
          530 Posts
          Posted: May 30, 2012, 4:59 pm - IP Logged

PIC6 is jersey's 6/49 game. 2 times a week,

which starts @ 2mils and has currently grown to 18.2 mils,

and i'm having a hard time trying to find out the last time it was this high.

I rarely play powerball, even before the price increase.

Hi Haymaker,

Thanks for the explanatin of the PIC6 game. That's great that it starts out at 2 million

and now it's 18.2 million. It's also great that it only costs a dollar to play it.

United States
            Member #122468
            February 1, 2012
            530 Posts
            Posted: May 30, 2012, 5:02 pm - IP Logged

I know approximately how much I spend, but occasionally I'll do a kind of test to make sure.

The only thing I pay cash for is lottery.  I was out of cash around the 15th and this time only got $20 out of the ATM since I'm supposed to only be spending $10 a week.  Today's the last drawing of the month and I have $1 left, so I know I'm on track.

Some weeks I spend more if both the PB and MM jackpots are high.  Some weeks I spend less if they've both been won.  But on average I know just about what I'm spending.

Hi HoLeeKau,

It's great that you know what you are spending and it sounds like you are sticking

to a budget. I also sometimes will get more than one ticket when the PB and MM Jackpots

are high.

United States
              Member #122468
              February 1, 2012
              530 Posts
              Posted: May 30, 2012, 5:10 pm - IP Logged

I know approximately how much I spend because I tend to play the same number of lines every week.  I might change thing up on a monthly basis depending on promotions the Lottery is running (buy $X on one ticket, get $Y free in Quick Picks), but it's only a few dollars' variance, nothing huge.  I rarely get scratchers, so that doesn't enter into my spending.

Hi mediabrat,

It's good that you know how much you spend each week. Subconsciously, maybe I really didn't want

to know how much I had been spending weekly. I don't think my state  runs promotions for the lottery

which they did). Wish I could be like you and not get scratchers, seems to be a weakness of mine.

Boney526's avatar - NjlpLogo
                New Jersey
                United States
                Member #99032
                October 18, 2010
                1439 Posts
                Posted: May 30, 2012, 5:15 pm - IP Logged

I'm not exactly sure, because I spend very little and when I do, I consider it part of my entertainment budget.  Taking a few bucks out about once a month, and adding in a couple times that I play a dollar on a medium sized jackpot and the few scratch offs I buy, I'd estimate that I spend about 100 bucks a year, give or take 20 bucks.

It's a very small amount to me, anyway, and that's all I need to know.

United States
                  Member #122468
                  February 1, 2012
                  530 Posts
                  Posted: May 30, 2012, 5:22 pm - IP Logged

I'm not exactly sure, because I spend very little and when I do, I consider it part of my entertainment budget.  Taking a few bucks out about once a month, and adding in a couple times that I play a dollar on a medium sized jackpot and the few scratch offs I buy, I'd estimate that I spend about 100 bucks a year, give or take 20 bucks.

It's a very small amount to me, anyway, and that's all I need to know.

Hi Boney526,

Why I wish I just spent 100 bucks a year like you, lol.

grwurston's avatar - Cute animals_Spider.jpg
                    Winning makes me smile.
                    bel air maryland
                    United States
                    Member #90251
                    April 24, 2010
                    4855 Posts
                    Posted: May 30, 2012, 8:54 pm - IP Logged

If you can afford it, spend it. We throw away money on mortgage interest, taxes, or rent every month, so why not play heavy on the lotto. I'm getting tired of everone winning around me, so I cut way down for now and still spend at-least 60$ a week. Any win over 100$, i usually fill my gas tank or get beer, then spend the balance on lotto. I  play scratchers too, and often wonder where that golden ticket will be found. Nothing wrong with going Cold turkey. It's good with bacon,yellow american and mayo.  GL

Amen to that. I don't have a lottery budget. I play, I enjoy it. When I win I put cash in my pocket.  When I win I don't have to work overtime. It's a win -win situation.

"You can observe a lot just by watching." Yogi Berra, Hall of Fame baseball player.

The numbers will tell you what numbers to play. Pay attention to the numbers.

Don't just think outside the box, crush it.

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
                      Chief Bottle Washer
                      New Jersey
                      United States
                      Member #1
                      May 31, 2000
                      23260 Posts
                      Posted: May 30, 2012, 9:11 pm - IP Logged

The first page of jackpots contains a statistics block stating what the highest and lowest jackpots were.  No need to go through pages of data to find out.

Check the State Lottery Report Card
                      What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
                      Help eliminate computerized drawings!

United States
                        Member #111442
                        May 25, 2011
                        6323 Posts
                        Posted: May 30, 2012, 9:13 pm - IP Logged

The first page of jackpots contains a statistics block stating what the highest and lowest jackpots were.  No need to go through pages of data to find out.

Thanks Todd, didn't know that. That will be a time saver for me in the future!  Cheers

CajunWin4's avatar - Lottery-061.jpg
                          Whiskey Island
                          United States
                          Member #90216
                          April 24, 2010
                          12730 Posts
                          Posted: May 30, 2012, 9:43 pm - IP Logged

I have a daily,weekly and monthly budget .I keep a expense report of all money going out and in from Win's .

If you do not Budget your self you are not playing with your Head .

Like the old saying " A fool and his money is soon Parted !!" .

weshar75's avatar - Lottery-042.jpg
                            Mcminnville, Oregon
                            United States
                            Member #3013
                            December 13, 2003
                            3047 Posts
                            Posted: May 31, 2012, 12:46 am - IP Logged

I spend usually $100 a month on powerball and mega millions.  I have not played scratchers in a month or megabucks becasue it is low so that is it.  I like to play for the big jackpots so I try my best to have a ticket in each drawing.  Sometimes it does not happen that way like this month I played less. But hopefully I will keep a ticket in each jackpot so I can win a prize.  I am a realist so I know I won't win a jackpot all the time so I like to put the megaplier and powerplay on my tickets to get the biggest prize available.-weshar75

United States
                              Member #112968
                              June 29, 2011
                              3854 Posts
                              Posted: May 31, 2012, 1:54 am - IP Logged

shyguitar,

i ment to give 5 stars on the rating,

sorry, i should not  stay up this late.

Also don't have much expierience in rating.