Welcome Guest
You last visited December 9, 2016, 10:18 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Numbering life

Topic closed. 48 replies. Last post 5 years ago by Epistrophy.

Page 3 of 4
PrintE-mailLink
haymaker's avatar - Lottery-012.jpg
Egg Harbor twp.south Jersey shore
United States
Member #112968
June 29, 2011
3856 Posts
Posted: June 6, 2012, 10:19 pm - IP Logged

Now I've got that nice guitar solo stuck in my head.  Could be worse, could be much, much worse.

It's Dickey Betts at his betts, I mean, best, though the little trivia gem in that one is that studio musician Les Dudek played a large part of the original studio cut.

Yes, if you have to have a tune stuck in your head, well thats a good one.

the betts/at betts...good pun....dudek and other studio ppl. never get the credit they deserve.

Extraordinary Popular Delusions & the Madness of Crowds    -- Charles Mackay  LL.D.

Epistrophy's avatar - Lottery-042.jpg
    San Diego, CA
    United States
    Member #112369
    June 17, 2011
    187 Posts
    Posted: June 6, 2012, 10:20 pm - IP Logged

Epistrophy,

If you ever get the chance, use rt. 62 from AZ. to S.cali.

very nice relaxing ride,

Funny you should say that, because I have taken that road.  I love roads where you can go for hours without seeing another car.  And I was born a ramblin' man.

haymaker's avatar - Lottery-012.jpg
      Egg Harbor twp.south Jersey shore
      United States
      Member #112968
      June 29, 2011
      3856 Posts
      Posted: June 6, 2012, 10:28 pm - IP Logged

Funny you should say that, because I have taken that road.  I love roads where you can go for hours without seeing another car.  And I was born a ramblin' man.

Nothing like roamin the back roads,

gotta sign off, say good night to s.cali for me.

An, i was born a ramblin man. LOl

Extraordinary Popular Delusions & the Madness of Crowds    -- Charles Mackay  LL.D.

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
        Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
        United States
        Member #73904
        April 28, 2009
        14903 Posts
        Posted: June 6, 2012, 10:42 pm - IP Logged

Epistrophy, where you been ?

the hendrix reference reminded me,

a freind had 4/5 on a pic 5 game,

he had 6 instead of 9    ( i don't mind if 6 turns out to be 9)

I told him about the song, but he never heard of it, even though he was a movie usher,

and the tune was part of the soundtrack on easy rider.

thanks for reminding me, Smile

@ Ridgerunner,

while making this post i had to use that lifesaver thing, thanks, man.

No problema, mi amigo.

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
          Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
          United States
          Member #73904
          April 28, 2009
          14903 Posts
          Posted: June 6, 2012, 10:47 pm - IP Logged

Land of 1000 Dances

1-2-3
          1-2-3
          Ow! Uh! Alright! Uh!

Got to know how to pony
          Like Bony Moroni
          Mash potato, do the alligator
          Put your hand on your hips, yeah
          Let your backbone slip
          Do the Watusi
          Like my little Lucy
          Hey! Unh!

Na na-na-na-na na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na na-na-na-na
          I need somebody to help me say it one time
          (Na na-na-na-na na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na na-na-na-na)
          Wo--ow!

Wow! Unh! You know I feel alright! Huh! I feel pretty good y'all
          Unh!
          Na na-na-na-na na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na na-na-na-na
          Come on y'all, let's say it one more time
          (Na na-na-na-na na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na na-na-na-na)
          Ooow!

Playing, it's a habit
          With long tall Sally
          Twistin' with Lucy
          Doin' the Watusi
          Roll over on your back
          I like it like that
          Do that Jerk-uh
          Watch me work y'all
          Ow! Do it!
          Wow! Do it!
          Just watch me do it

Aah help me
          Aah help me
          Aah help me
          Aah help me

~The Wicked Pickett

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

United States
            Member #111442
            May 25, 2011
            6323 Posts
            Posted: June 7, 2012, 6:40 am - IP Logged

What was that,      ?

somthing like ''interdigiant quotation mark & the mysterians ?

did i get that right ?

Yes, one is a lonely #

but sometimes its the # that completes the JP.

Yeah that ? was for lead vocals Rudy Martinez, who also is believed to have wrote 96 tears as well. Hit #1 on the Billboard hot 100 in "66".

San Diego, CA
              United States
              Member #112369
              June 17, 2011
              187 Posts
              Posted: June 7, 2012, 4:12 pm - IP Logged

When I was in kindergarten and we were learning how to count, I would be very upset when they started counting at 1. They had to start at 0 for me to be satisfied.

I like to start counting at bleen - George Carlin once said, "Scientists have discovered a new number between 6 and 7, and it's called bleen."

Just reminded of a few more number-related song references:

Revolution 9 - The Beatles [unlike the well-known "Revolution" also from the White Album, this was the one that can only be described as experimental music, with ranson noises and a voice reapting the phrase "Number 9, number 9, number 9"]

#9 Dream - John Lennon

I'm Eighteen - Alice Cooper

Who knew that if you combined The Beatles with John Lennon solo you'd get the great golfer Vincent Furnier, a/k/a, Alice Cooper.

San Diego, CA
                United States
                Member #112369
                June 17, 2011
                187 Posts
                Posted: June 7, 2012, 4:16 pm - IP Logged

I like to start counting at bleen - George Carlin once said, "Scientists have discovered a new number between 6 and 7, and it's called bleen."

Revolution 9 - The Beatles [unlike the well-known "Revolution" also from the White Album, this was the one that can only be described as experimental music, with ranson noises and a voice reapting the phrase "Number 9, number 9, number 9"]

#9 Dream - John Lennon

Who knew that if you combined The Beatles with John Lennon solo you'd get the great golfer Vincent Furnier, a/k/a, Alice Cooper.

Whoa, freaky!

I went to type "random noises" above and had not one, but two typo's, each time hitting the key right next to it.

So I wound up with the word "ranson" which is very close to "Manson" and Charles Manson is believed to have been inspired by "Helter Skelter" which is also on the White Album.

Too bad he didn't focus on a nice little ditty like "Rocky Raccoon" or "Martha My Dear" instead.

United States
                  Member #111442
                  May 25, 2011
                  6323 Posts
                  Posted: June 7, 2012, 4:26 pm - IP Logged

#9 Dream - John Lennon

Your really on a roll Epis!  Cheers

Revolution 9, was revolutionary for the time, because many of the tracks were played BACKWARDS, to achieve the final desired cut.

San Diego, CA
                    United States
                    Member #112369
                    June 17, 2011
                    187 Posts
                    Posted: June 7, 2012, 4:41 pm - IP Logged

Your really on a roll Epis!  Cheers

Revolution 9, was revolutionary for the time, because many of the tracks were played BACKWARDS, to achieve the final desired cut.

Cheers to you as well, McGinn.

George Martin was one of the most creative producers ever.  As far back as "Tomorrow Never Knows" which was on "Revolver" (so 1966) he did bizzaro but creative and effective stuff like that.  George Harrison's solo on that song has an other-wordly sound, and that's because it was played back with the tape running backwards and re-recorded that way.

They always had that "Paul is dead" urban legend that somehow came up and they toyed around with it as well - on Revolution 9, there is a part that if you play it backwards (which can only be done on a good ol' album and turntable with a needle, or diamond stylus, as it were) the voice says, "I buried Paul."

I tried it as a kid, and it does appear to say that, but it also appears to say, "Unintelligible mumble" basically.

The other ingenious George, the aforementioned Carlin, also made reference to this phenomenon and said, "The Beatles' latest record, when played backward at a slow speed, says, 'Dummy!  You're playing it backwards at a slow speed!'"

Later in his career, at live shows he changed the last part to, "when played backwards, it f**ks up your needle."

Brilliant.

United States
                      Member #111442
                      May 25, 2011
                      6323 Posts
                      Posted: June 7, 2012, 4:55 pm - IP Logged

Cheers to you as well, McGinn.

George Martin was one of the most creative producers ever.  As far back as "Tomorrow Never Knows" which was on "Revolver" (so 1966) he did bizzaro but creative and effective stuff like that.  George Harrison's solo on that song has an other-wordly sound, and that's because it was played back with the tape running backwards and re-recorded that way.

They always had that "Paul is dead" urban legend that somehow came up and they toyed around with it as well - on Revolution 9, there is a part that if you play it backwards (which can only be done on a good ol' album and turntable with a needle, or diamond stylus, as it were) the voice says, "I buried Paul."

I tried it as a kid, and it does appear to say that, but it also appears to say, "Unintelligible mumble" basically.

The other ingenious George, the aforementioned Carlin, also made reference to this phenomenon and said, "The Beatles' latest record, when played backward at a slow speed, says, 'Dummy!  You're playing it backwards at a slow speed!'"

Later in his career, at live shows he changed the last part to, "when played backwards, it f**ks up your needle."

Brilliant.

When George Martin and the Beatles collaborated, it was the most successful and innovative music ever conceived! I don't think any other

artist or group, has ever come close to their combined talent.

Loved Carlin! I was saddened to hear about his passing.

San Diego, CA
                        United States
                        Member #112369
                        June 17, 2011
                        187 Posts
                        Posted: June 7, 2012, 5:27 pm - IP Logged

Just some random thoughts I wanted to share with the people out there.There is two things that's un imaginable.The first one being the number zero which represents nothing in existence.And the last one is my favorite infinity.Plus and minus heaven and hell.Plus will go up minus will go down.How do u wanna live ur life?being positive is representing infinity u can gain forever.But there is no infinity for negative zero is the last number before gaining.Think about infinity for a second.And again people these are random thoughts I wrote this without erasing.Thats how I write freestyling all posts.So with that said if ur gonna pick numbers avoid the zero in life .Choose infinity it's unexplainable.So is zero but I'm really alive and have experienced spiritual things.Im out of my mind lol

Hi Process,

I'd like to offer my professional opinion that you are indeed out of your mind.  I'm not a psychiatrist, but I did stay at a Holiday Express...

Just kidding, especially since you included your lol at the end.

I agree that there is something vaguely weird or mystical about numbers, with zero certainly being no exception.  Zero is the mathematical equivalent of nihilism

Nothingness is a bit hard to construe, at least for me.  Give me something, even if it's a mildly amusing story or a mildly crafted beer, but don't give me nothingness.

Although nothingness has the advantage of easy portability.  I changed my mind.  Bartender, two more rounds of nothingness, please.

Now I've officially joined you as out of my mind, but I blame the pitchers of nothingness.  Whoo hoo!  Here's to nothing!

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                          Zeta Reticuli Star System
                          United States
                          Member #30470
                          January 17, 2006
                          10353 Posts
                          Posted: June 7, 2012, 6:26 pm - IP Logged

Epistrophy,

Thanks, I've had Neun und neunzig luft ballons stuck in my head all day (it first came out in German, or mostly was in German). Was Nina a cutie pie or what?

Regarding zero - I played on a summer baseball team local level, and we never did put nine guys on the field, all we had was eight. The newspaper wanted a name for each position for box scores so the coach created a player ' Noone ' - No one.

Well at the end of the season someone from the league who had never left the office or went to a game wanted to give 'Noone' the Golden Glove award for not making any errors.

Scared

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

San Diego, CA
                            United States
                            Member #112369
                            June 17, 2011
                            187 Posts
                            Posted: June 7, 2012, 6:37 pm - IP Logged

Epistrophy,

Thanks, I've had Neun und neunzig luft ballons stuck in my head all day (it first came out in German, or mostly was in German). Was Nina a cutie pie or what?

Regarding zero - I played on a summer baseball team local level, and we never did put nine guys on the field, all we had was eight. The newspaper wanted a name for each position for box scores so the coach created a player ' Noone ' - No one.

Well at the end of the season someone from the league who had never left the office or went to a game wanted to give 'Noone' the Golden Glove award for not making any errors.

Scared

Coin,

That is absolutely beautiful.  Noone was exemplary player, not one error on the field, and zero arrests off it.

Nina was very much a cutie pie - I always imagined her German version as being sweet nothings she was whispering in my ear instead of being about nuclear annihalation.

Oh, Nina, tell me again about how St. Petersburg was vaporized - Russia, though, please, not Florida.  Come on, I have relatives there, for God's sake!

I think I actually prefer her German version because it's more mysterious, and when I say mysterious, I mean both the sound of her voice and also, "What the hell is she saying about Captain Kirk?"

maximumfun's avatar - Lottery-030.jpg
                              Lavender Rocket

United States
                              Member #124616
                              March 16, 2012
                              2642 Posts
                              Posted: June 7, 2012, 8:27 pm - IP Logged

Epistrophy,

Scared

LOL - that is perfect!