$240 MILLION: Powerball lottery jackpot increased

Jun 10, 2012, 2:42 pm (75 comments)

Powerball

By Todd Northrop

There was no jackpot winner in the Saturday night drawing of the multi-state Powerball lottery game, causing the grand prize to increase to an estimated $240 million for Wednesday's drawing.

Saturday was the 13th consecutive drawing without a jackpot winner.

The estimated cash value for the new jackpot is $159.7 Million.  After-tax cash and annuity prize amounts are reported state-by-state at USA Mega, a web site devoted to the Powerball and Mega Millions multi-state lottery games.

Players should note that jackpot amounts are conservative estimates provided by the lotteries, and are often somewhat higher by the time the drawing occurs.

Even though there were no jackpot winners, 5 lucky players matched the first 5 numbers for a $1,000,000 prize: 1 from Delaware, 1 from Florida, 1 from Georgia, 1 from New York, and 1 from North Carolina.

One of the second-prize tickets — the one from Florida — was purchased with the Power Play option for an extra $1, so their prize was increased to $2 million. 

40 tickets matched four white numbers plus the Powerball and won $10,000.  Of those tickets, 6 were purchased with the Power Play option, increasing the prize to $40,000.

The Powerball winning numbers for Saturday, June 9, were 18, 22, 45, 56, and 57, with Powerball number 27.

When a Powerball ticket is purchased with the Power Play option for an extra $1 per ticket, any non-jackpot prize is increased according to a fixed prize schedule, which can be found on the Powerball Drawing Detail page at USA Mega, as well as on the Powerball Prize Payouts page at Lottery Post.

Powerball is now played in 42 states, plus the District of Columbia and the U.S. Virgin Islands. Drawings are Wednesdays and Saturdays at 11:00 p.m. Eastern Time.  Tickets cost $2 each.

Powerball lottery results are published within minutes of the drawing at USA Mega.

Lottery Post Staff

Comments

mcginnin56

Pretty much at a quarter billion. I can handle that amount of lettuce. NH is way overdue. I would like to tie this one up, and put a bow on it.  Noel

Just   Lover  when Christmas falls in June!  Banana

hearsetrax's avatarhearsetrax

Skeptical was gonna play last night ...

should be interesting to see if it hits b4 next Saturday

Cheers well good luck all

Piaceri

POWERBALL MANIA!!!!!    YEEEEE HAWWWWWWWW!!!!!!

Phew, got that out of my system.  (And no, that was not a Dean Scream)

Good luck everyone! Texas needs their first PB winner. They've been dry too dang long in MM, too.

RJOh's avatarRJOh

Last night surge shows PB jackpot  has to exceed the $200M barrier to get players excited with its $2 per line price.  While I probably will not play 20 lines as I use to when its price was $1 per line, I am considering playing 10 lines this Wednesday while I wait for MM jackpot to reach $50M+.

Quote: Originally posted by Piaceri on Jun 10, 2012

POWERBALL MANIA!!!!!    YEEEEE HAWWWWWWWW!!!!!!

Phew, got that out of my system.  (And no, that was not a Dean Scream)

Good luck everyone! Texas needs their first PB winner. They've been dry too dang long in MM, too.

do U need to be hog tied Green laugh

Piaceri

Quote: Originally posted by hearsetrax on Jun 10, 2012

do U need to be hog tied Green laugh

Stop it. I'm enjoying my lazy Sunday afternoon. I should be working, but everytime I go near my work computer, my brain freezes. So I'm enjoying the internet, Sunday freaky-bad movies, and whiling the day away.

ttech10's avatarttech10

Well my $2 let me down again, haven't gotten anything since late March on my current numbers, but I did end up having numbers essentially matching mine a few draws ago. Thinking of doing QPs for a while and see if that helps me.

maximumfun's avatarmaximumfun

240M$ j/p... 60M$ w/ 4 winners?  (let's spread it around!)

This has been puzzling me... shouldn't the PB have gone up MORE than 35M$ by this roll?

CDanaT's avatarCDanaT

I got the powerball correct !!!! Banana   Got my $4.00 back....No complaints there....Enough of this dilly dallying around, time to win that jackpot !!!

dpoly1's avatardpoly1

Here we go !  Dance

the money keeps getting closer to my house .............

$119,775,000 wire transfer and no pesky State and Local TAX

I WILL mitigate the other 10% Federal Tax ............

Thumbs Up

LottoGuyBC's avatarLottoGuyBC

You can take that to the bank Group Hug

haymaker's avatarhaymaker

Quote: Originally posted by CDanaT on Jun 10, 2012

I got the powerball correct !!!! Banana   Got my $4.00 back....No complaints there....Enough of this dilly dallying around, time to win that jackpot !!!

Did you move ?

thought you were from FL.

Anyway congrats on the win.

Quote: Originally posted by dpoly1 on Jun 10, 2012

Here we go !  Dance

the money keeps getting closer to my house .............

$119,775,000 wire transfer and no pesky State and Local TAX

I WILL mitigate the other 10% Federal Tax ............

Thumbs Up

I wonder if you can get a refund on the withheld w/ a larger mitigation ?

weshar75's avatarweshar75

Well I am hoping for an Oregon win this wednesday night.  Good luck!-weshar75

US Flag

Simba774

I'm only buying one ticket or maybe two. Nothing more. My mother has her own personal numbers that she plays while I just stick with QPs.

OldSchoolPa's avatarOldSchoolPa

I think I have a couple or three plays in courtesy of subscription service, but hoping for a win on those or a rollover so I can get back and pick winning numbers.  If it rolls, I will invest an additional $4 to win...one QP and one own pick.

dallascowboyfan's avatardallascowboyfan

$240 Millions sounds good to me.....WinkWhite Bounce

Quote: Originally posted by dallascowboyfan on Jun 11, 2012

$240 Millions sounds good to me.....WinkWhite Bounce

$260 and or 270 sounds good to me Stooges

Roll on widdle jackpot

Stack47

Quote: Originally posted by RJOh on Jun 10, 2012

Last night surge shows PB jackpot  has to exceed the $200M barrier to get players excited with its $2 per line price.  While I probably will not play 20 lines as I use to when its price was $1 per line, I am considering playing 10 lines this Wednesday while I wait for MM jackpot to reach $50M+.

About 33 million tickets were sold (19% of all the possible combos) so we're still not even close to a "jackpot frenzy" level. The increase from the previous drawing was 23% so it might take a few more rolls before the frenzy starts. The last time the jackpot was over $200 million on 2/11/12, about 50 million tickets were sold so while that level might excite more players, it's not exciting as many as it did just 4 months ago.

RedStang's avatarRedStang

The frenzy will start at $656.1

mcginnin56

Quote: Originally posted by RedStang on Jun 12, 2012

The frenzy will start at $656.1

Is that $656.1 dollars? Would make a nice payoff for a straight pick 3.   Yes Nod

golfer1960's avatargolfer1960

Miami Heat vs OKC tonight for the championship! Come on Miami!

If I win the $240M Weds, I'm taking my talents to South Beach (just like Lebron James). How could you not want to be in Miami? Banana

Miamimiami 2miami 3maimi 3miami 4miami 5miami 6miami 6miami 7

Quote: Originally posted by mcginnin56 on Jun 12, 2012

Is that $656.1 dollars? Would make a nice payoff for a straight pick 3.   Yes Nod

or a pick 4...

mcginnin56

Quote: Originally posted by maximumfun on Jun 12, 2012

or a pick 4...

Or just to find it laying on the sidewalk, peeking out of a paper bag.  Banana

dpoly1's avatardpoly1

Quote: Originally posted by golfer1960 on Jun 12, 2012

If I win the $240M Weds, I'm taking my talents to South Beach (just like Lebron James). How could you not want to be in Miami? Banana

Apparently you have not seen the property tax rates!!!!!

Jill34786's avatarJill34786

Quote: Originally posted by dpoly1 on Jun 12, 2012

Apparently you have not seen the property tax rates!!!!!

So true! with the property tax on many of the higher end homes being well in the 6 figure range it puts a slight damper on the positives our state has to offer.

Quote: Originally posted by Stack47 on Jun 11, 2012

About 33 million tickets were sold (19% of all the possible combos) so we're still not even close to a "jackpot frenzy" level. The increase from the previous drawing was 23% so it might take a few more rolls before the frenzy starts. The last time the jackpot was over $200 million on 2/11/12, about 50 million tickets were sold so while that level might excite more players, it's not exciting as many as it did just 4 months ago.

Stack47- Where do you get the information on the number of tickets sold for each drawing?

Thanks in advance!

Quote: Originally posted by Jill34786 on Jun 12, 2012

So true! with the property tax on many of the higher end homes being well in the 6 figure range it puts a slight damper on the positives our state has to offer.

can't be worse than jersey, can it ?

mcginnin56

Quote: Originally posted by haymaker on Jun 12, 2012

Or NY and CA?

Not sure about Jersey or  CA but here in Orlando, the tax is roughly 18k for every million of assessed value. We also have a home in TN and the tax rate there is based on 25% of the assessed value...approx. 7k for every million of assessed value (not the actual value).

Quote: Originally posted by Jill34786 on Jun 12, 2012

Hi Jill, you and dpoly got me nervous about those tax rates. They are expensive in Miami but with $160M cash after winning Powerball (yeah right), I think I'll be okay.

I found a house in Miami for sale for $799K and the taxes in 2011 were $11,682. That's doable. The house is large enough for me and my family at 5bd/4ba, 4100 sq ft, built in 2005, on a golf course community. Here it is: Do you like it?

miami housemiami house 2miami house 3miami house 4

Hi Jill, you and dpoly got me nervous about those tax rates. They are expensive in Miami but with $160M cash after winning Powerball (yeah right), I think I'll be okay.

I found a house in Miami for sale for $799K and the taxes in 2011 were $11,682. That's doable. The house is large enough for me and my family at 5bd/4ba, 4100 sq ft, built in 2005, on a golf course community. Here it is: Do you like it?

golfer1960, LOL, doable ?

$799k and taxes are $11,682 ? chump change !

my house is worth abt. 350/375,

taxes abt. 9100.

taxes abt. 9100.

I know haymaker. My taste are conservative (i'm cheap). I can't see myself in a mansion with huge overhead. Scares me.

psykomo's avatarpsykomo

Quote: Originally posted by maximumfun on Jun 10, 2012

240M$ j/p... 60M$ w/ 4 winners?  (let's spread it around!)

G@@D>>>>>>????>>but<<Let'$$$ NOT<<SPREAD it around!!!!

$PLIT>it>w/>>U/me Quebec Papa$$

Jack-in-the-Box

Not bad, looks very nice! The taxes were most likely based on a much lower valuation but it is within reason for that home.

I like the paved driveway but it seems that it only has a 2-car garage? Where would you park all your toys?

taxes abt. 9100.

haymaker- $9100 on property taxes on a home worth 350/375k ?! I thought the taxes were bad here in Florida but your state takes the cake Eek  I guess having the honor of being one of the highest taxed states is a reason so many have relocated elsewhere.

Quote: Originally posted by Jill34786 on Jun 13, 2012

haymaker- $9100 on property taxes on a home worth 350/375k ?! I thought the taxes were bad here in Florida but your state takes the cake Eek  I guess having the honor of being one of the highest taxed states is a reason so many have relocated elsewhere.

Yes, thats why many have bailed.

The problem is funding education, 69% of those taxes go to the school district.

Brcebrce

I wonder how much it will jump.if it tools over agian. I'll guess $312.

Quote: Originally posted by haymaker on Jun 13, 2012

69% towards schools?! Here in Florida it's "only" 47% perhaps that's one of the reasons why our children in the public sector are doing so poorly.

WWWBUKTN

Well ten bucks of this pot is mine.   I played my usual set of numbers, two from last nights fortune cookies and two quick picks.   The gas station down the street where I bought my tickets tonight had somebody hit a million dollar winner earlier that day on a $20 instant lottery ticket.   (I don't play instant lottery although I have bought a few White Sox scratch tickets as that's my favorite team so their sucker promotion using MLB worked it's charm on me.)

I hope one of us wins tonight, here's to a different life come Thursday......cheers!

Quote: Originally posted by Jill34786 on Jun 13, 2012

Not bad, looks very nice! The taxes were most likely based on a much lower valuation but it is within reason for that home.

I like the paved driveway but it seems that it only has a 2-car garage? Where would you park all your toys?

Jill, Hopefully, I won't need more than 2 cars. One for me and my girlie! Naughty  I would like to have my own custom golf cart too. So I might need a 2 1/2 car garage. Smile

I'll buy this Cadillac Custom Golf Cart for the half garage:

custom cart

I see you play golf. Do you have your own cart?

Simba774

Well, the hype of that is over. It was won in Iowa.

ttech10's avatarttech10

Congrats to Iowa, I think it's been a while for them (the site I check for past jackpot wins by state doesn't do PB, so not sure on that).

Maybe this rollover will be my time, people will be looking at this win and some may even bring up the last time Iowa made news for a lottery win.

gocart1's avatargocart1

I think its going to a long time for Powerball to come even close to Mega Millions 656.1 milliona few weeks ago. I still dont think its worth the two bucks their charging you now for a single tickit..

DC81's avatarDC81

Quote: Originally posted by gocart1 on Jun 14, 2012

I think its going to a long time for Powerball to come even close to Mega Millions 656.1 milliona few weeks ago. I still dont think its worth the two bucks their charging you now for a single tickit..

Maybe after the next time they screw with their matrix and raise ticket prices to five dollars per line with starting JPs at 100M. LOL

Quote: Originally posted by DC81 on Jun 14, 2012

Maybe after the next time they screw with their matrix and raise ticket prices to five dollars per line with starting JPs at 100M. LOL

LOL and who spiked your mug of grog ??

Quote: Originally posted by DC81 on Jun 14, 2012

whoa - 5$ but a starting pot of 100M$?  tempting... but pass.  Dead  but that would be an interesting decision.  lol

Am I the only one who feels like crap when I don't win and someone else does?

broken dreams

mcginnin56

Quote: Originally posted by golfer1960 on Jun 14, 2012

broken dreams

Nope. There's plenty of crappy feelings to go around. I think it would only be polite to share some of this crap with others, who might be interested in

having a similar experience.   Dunk

Conversely, The winner(s) are probably having a relatively "crap free" day as we speak.  Banana

Quote: Originally posted by mcginnin56 on Jun 14, 2012

Nope. There's plenty of crappy feelings to go around. I think it would only be polite to share some of this crap with others, who might be interested in

having a similar experience.   Dunk

Conversely, The winner(s) are probably having a relatively "crap free" day as we speak.  Banana

Thanks Mcginnin!

mcginnin56

Thanks Mcginnin!

Don't mention it!   Cheers

Crapfully yours, 

McGinnin56

Oh well (sigh), South Beach will have to wait...again.

At least it's Thursday, so I'm off to work.

"Hi may I take your order today?"

mcdonalds

mcginnin56

mcdonalds

Green laugh

RedStang's avatarRedStang

broken dreams

I'm glad i did'nt win. I want my one chance to be at-least 500mill.

rdgrnr's avatarrdgrnr

Quote: Originally posted by haymaker on Jun 13, 2012

Those many who have bailed because of high taxes usually go to states that have low taxes and no state income tax, like Tennessee.

Then when they get here they vote for Democrats - who want to raise taxes.

Makes a lot of sense, doesn't it?

Quote: Originally posted by RedStang on Jun 14, 2012

I'm glad i did'nt win. I want my one chance to be at-least 500mill.

Really Red? You need that much?

Quote: Originally posted by rdgrnr on Jun 14, 2012

Those many who have bailed because of high taxes usually go to states that have low taxes and no state income tax, like Tennessee.

Oh Ridge, you are the Oracle of Wisdom and the Minister of Truth! I love you man (like a brother, you know)!

handshake

rdgrnr's avatarrdgrnr

Oh Ridge, you are the Oracle of Wisdom and the Minister of Truth! I love you man (like a brother, you know)!

handshake

Well thank ya kindly, golfer.

ttech10's avatarttech10

broken dreams

My dreams aren't to win a huge jackpot, but basically any jackpot. So since my dreams can still be made next draw I see it more of someone elses dreams coming true rather than mine being broken.

bytheshore

mcdonalds

HaveABall's avatarHaveABall

Geez, golfer1960, I wouldn't want to live in Florida because it is too hot and humid for too many consecutive months there.  That FL weather makes my head hot and soon leads me into head pains, delayed thinking, and exhaustion!  However, San Diego, CA would meet my daily weather-range preference throughout the entire 12 months of each year.

Anyhow, congratulations to this draw's BIG winning Powerball jackpot ticket holder(s) in Iowa!!!  Maybe they'll soon move to San Diego, CA.

Disney

Quote: Originally posted by ttech10 on Jun 14, 2012

My dreams aren't to win a huge jackpot, but basically any jackpot. So since my dreams can still be made next draw I see it more of someone elses dreams coming true rather than mine being broken.

Good, ttech10, that's a healthier and more self-encouraging way for us, long-time bi-weekly gamblers, to think!

Idea

rdgrnr's avatarrdgrnr

mcdonalds

I hope that Coke is under 16oz so nobody dies and stuff.

Careful, golfer1960, that $11,682/year County Property Tax figure PROBABLY wouldn't be the same for you; as that is a "sensor citizen homeowner FREEZE" amount (your annual cost could be three times that amount)!  Therefore, when you win a big jackpot, and begin working with a "Buyers Agent" REALTOR to find your home, be sure to tell them what the maximum amount you want to pay on annual property taxes is (never trust the MLS search results you receive each week, for that data cell's information, as it could be showing you a 'discounted amount' that only the current homeowner qualifies for). 

Thus, once you narrow down to 3 or 4 houses, you'd call or visit that county's "Property Tax Assessor's Department," and ask them to research what the current year's annual property taxes would be someone with your personal profile.  Cheers!

Patriot

Quote: Originally posted by HaveABall on Jun 14, 2012

Careful, golfer1960, that $11,682/year County Property Tax figure PROBABLY wouldn't be the same for you; as that is a "sensor citizen homeowner FREEZE" amount (your annual cost could be three times that amount)!  Therefore, when you win a big jackpot, and begin working with a "Buyers Agent" REALTOR to find your home, be sure to tell them what the maximum amount you want to pay on annual property taxes is (never trust the MLS search results you receive each week, for that data cell's information, as it could be showing you a 'discounted amount' that only the current homeowner qualifies for). 

Thus, once you narrow down to 3 or 4 houses, you'd call or visit that county's "Property Tax Assessor's Department," and ask them to research what the current year's annual property taxes would be someone with your personal profile.  Cheers!

Patriot

Thank you Baller, I didn't realize these things about Florida real estate taxes. I'm learning alot on LP!

I hope that Coke is under 16oz so nobody dies and stuff.

Ridge, you are killing me! You always make me laugh!

You're really well versed in what is happening up here in NY/NJ area. The Mayor of NYC wants to ban super sized sodas served in restuarants because it causes obesity. So nobody dies and stuff. LOL

Quote: Originally posted by HaveABall on Jun 14, 2012

Geez, golfer1960, I wouldn't want to live in Florida because it is too hot and humid for too many consecutive months there.  That FL weather makes my head hot and soon leads me into head pains, delayed thinking, and exhaustion!  However, San Diego, CA would meet my daily weather-range preference throughout the entire 12 months of each year.

Anyhow, congratulations to this draw's BIG winning Powerball jackpot ticket holder(s) in Iowa!!!  Maybe they'll soon move to San Diego, CA.

Disney

Hey Baller, I've heard it's very hot in Miami especially. I've only been to Florida in the winter and fall so I haven't experienced the summer's there. Ok, maybe I'll just rent in South Beach first to see if I like it.

I have a brother in Pasadena, CA and the weather there is hot but bearable in the summer. I've never been to San Diego but everyone say's the weather is perfect all year round.

Enjoy San Diego! It is beautiful!

San Diegosan diego 2

Quote: Originally posted by bytheshore on Jun 14, 2012

Hi CA by the shore,

You are PRETTY! VERY PRETTY! Crazy

Wanna go to South Beach?

Quote: Originally posted by ttech10 on Jun 14, 2012

I hear ya Tech, I must learn to think and feel that way (sigh)...

In the meantime:

broken

KY Floyd's avatarKY Floyd

It's right there in your first sentence. They go there because the taxes are low, not because it's Tennessee.

psykomo's avatarpsykomo

Quote: Originally posted by KY Floyd on Jun 15, 2012

It's right there in your first sentence. They go there because the taxes are low, not because it's Tennessee.

kyf:

TEN is a beautiful>PLACE...>UC>buy "life" $ "air"

their>>>>>>>>>RG is right<ON>KY U need BY

TEN>property>fm RG is right>ON>>>$$$$$$$$

Jack-in-the-Box

Simba774

broken dreams

Nope.  Millions are pissed every night after a drawing. Yes, that includes me and my family too.

rdgrnr's avatarrdgrnr

Quote: Originally posted by KY Floyd on Jun 15, 2012

Yeah, that's what I said. And then they vote for Democrats who want to give them high taxes like the state they just left because of high taxes.

What's your point?

I wish I could say I chose my state because of the lack-of-tax-burden... but alas and alak, it is not to be so.  I'm in the state that in order to go to NewPort, folks pack an overnight bag cuz it's so far away... The concept of living somewhere else for a tax benefit is alien here.

End of comments
Subscribe to this news story