Welcome Guest
You last visited December 4, 2016, 1:15 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

are clerks supposed to scan scratch tickets before you pay?

Topic closed. 21 replies. Last post 4 years ago by mcginnin56.

Page 2 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
ttech10's avatar - blobdude
Texas
United States
Member #92330
June 5, 2010
887 Posts
Posted: June 19, 2012, 8:25 pm - IP Logged

I usually have my tickets scanned during purchase. Not each individual one, but if I have 2+ of the same ticket they will scan the first ticket however many times. I always just assumed it was the easiest way for them to ring them up, like when you're at any grocery store, the cashier can either scan the barcode or input whatever info they need for it to ring up correctly on the machine.

If you want to get the right answer I'd suggest just asking some of the clerks why they scan it. I'd also ask the one who doesn't scan it why they don't and others do. I'm willing to bet it's nothing shady.

dr65's avatar - black panther.jpg
    Pennsylvania
    United States
    Member #74096
    May 2, 2009
    22866 Posts
    Posted: June 19, 2012, 8:48 pm - IP Logged

I was just wondering  this because i have been paying my states $10 ticket,but have noticed that  some clerk's scan the ticket before giving to you and sone dont.

Dang - everytime I look at your avatar, I'm sorry I checked in on you. The stuff of nightmares....thanks..

Anyway, if you look anything like your avatar, maybe that's the reason SOME DON'T scan them...get you in and out quicker.

Seriously, I think some stores just do record-keeping differently. That's all. However they do it, I hope you find a real good one. Good luck!

Ridiculous 954's avatar - Lottery-029.jpg
      PA
      United States
      Member #129458
      June 18, 2012
      3 Posts
      Posted: June 21, 2012, 12:10 am - IP Logged

It depends on the store.. If some stores have had problems with theft they will scan or some stores it is company policy to scan.. but most are not required.

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
        Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
        United States
        Member #73904
        April 28, 2009
        14903 Posts
        Posted: June 21, 2012, 12:21 am - IP Logged

Dang - everytime I look at your avatar, I'm sorry I checked in on you. The stuff of nightmares....thanks..

Anyway, if you look anything like your avatar, maybe that's the reason SOME DON'T scan them...get you in and out quicker.

Seriously, I think some stores just do record-keeping differently. That's all. However they do it, I hope you find a real good one. Good luck!

Lol, maybe it's time for you to start another Lottery Post Photo Album, dr!

United States
          Member #111442
          May 25, 2011
          6323 Posts
          Posted: June 21, 2012, 7:59 am - IP Logged

Seems pleasant enough to me, a cordial smile with a look of confidence and brashness. He might be good material for GQ magazine.  Cool

Littleoldlady's avatar - basket
            Clarksville
            United States
            Member #487
            July 15, 2002
            17638 Posts
            Posted: June 21, 2012, 4:21 pm - IP Logged

That sounds really crazy to me..scan my ticket before I scratch it?  Maybe someone SHOULD check with their state lottery to see what the REAL policy is.  Many places just make their own rules.  They don't follow what the state law says.

After the intial batch ticket is scanned, no more scanning is needed to sell off the roll.  There are records of the ticket numbers in the batch number probably located at the lottery headquarters in their terminal.  In fact, I am sure there is such a thing because some lotteries have "second chance drawings" on losing scratchers and if you input the wrong number of a scratcher, the program will let you know it is wrong.

I can only think of one reason to scan them before and it isn't for "accountability".

If you know your number is going to hit, have patience and then KILL IT!

You never know when you will get another hit.

United States
              Member #111442
              May 25, 2011
              6323 Posts
              Posted: June 21, 2012, 4:32 pm - IP Logged

That sounds really crazy to me..scan my ticket before I scratch it?  Maybe someone SHOULD check with their state lottery to see what the REAL policy is.  Many places just make their own rules.  They don't follow what the state law says.

After the intial batch ticket is scanned, no more scanning is needed to sell off the roll.  There are records of the ticket numbers in the batch number probably located at the lottery headquarters in their terminal.  In fact, I am sure there is such a thing because some lotteries have "second chance drawings" on losing scratchers and if you input the wrong number of a scratcher, the program will let you know it is wrong.

I can only think of one reason to scan them before and it isn't for "accountability".

Scanning procedures probably vary state to state. In my state, as the tickets are sold they are scanned. Probably a secondary reason for this

scanning procedure, is for the retailer to track the total cost of all tickets per customer, similar to a grocery store scanning the bar codes. This

would be particularly important in a high volume store, where it could be easy to lose track of how many tickets are being sold per transaction.

As you mentioned however, probably not a bad idea to call your lottery commission for more specific's.