Welcome Guest
You last visited December 4, 2016, 5:06 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Lottery pools good or bad?

Topic closed. 36 replies. Last post 4 years ago by aquariuslottery.

Page 2 of 3
PrintE-mailLink

Should lottery pools be illegal?

Yes - One person can collect a winning ticket [ 4 ]  [16.67%]
No [ 20 ]  [83.33%]
Total Valid Votes [ 24 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 4 ]  

United States
Member #111442
May 25, 2011
6323 Posts
Posted: July 3, 2012, 5:32 am - IP Logged

I agree. In pool you have better chances of winning but you get less of winning share. I rather take less then have 0.00001% chance of winning it by myself.

Welcome to LP jackpotbuddy 12!

By any chance are you related to a jackpot buddy who was on this site for a few months, before being booted off?   Dunk

Just a coincidence I'm sure.  Yes Nod  Hope you hit that jackpot buddy!

SergeM's avatar - slow icon.png
    Economy class
    Belgium
    Member #123700
    February 27, 2012
    4035 Posts
    Posted: July 3, 2012, 6:39 am - IP Logged

Small pools would have a chance but they often break apart.

United States
      Member #111442
      May 25, 2011
      6323 Posts
      Posted: July 3, 2012, 7:45 am - IP Logged

Argue  +    Argue   +   Hit With Stick   +    Dunk    +     Bash     +     Chair   +   Poke =   Bad Pool Chemistry

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
        mid-Ohio
        United States
        Member #9
        March 24, 2001
        19817 Posts
        Posted: July 3, 2012, 8:24 am - IP Logged

It seems the only way that lotteries can be won anymore is to be part of a pool.  Individual players just don't stand a chance anymore.  Should laws be passed stating that only one person can collect on a winning ticket?

You seem to be yet another LP poster who hasn't researched his subject but decide to post and just make up some facts.

First, most lottery jackpots are won by individuals and second, there once were laws allowing only one person to collect on a winning ticket even when the ticket was brought by a group which made paying the taxes a real head ache for the winners but a lawyer's dream.  It has only been in the last ten years or so that states changed their laws to allow groups to claim winning tickets with each member of the group paying the taxes on their share of the winnings.

While playing  in a group may reduce the cost to play, it doesn't make winning any easier.  Most people join a group to contribute a dollar or so with 10 or so other people to buy tickets but many players don't think twice about buying 20 or so tickets every drawing so most pools odds of winning aren't any better than those of many single players.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

maximumfun's avatar - Lottery-030.jpg
          Lavender Rocket

United States
          Member #124616
          March 16, 2012
          2642 Posts
          Posted: July 3, 2012, 12:29 pm - IP Logged

You seem to be yet another LP poster who hasn't researched his subject but decide to post and just make up some facts.

First, most lottery jackpots are won by individuals and second, there once were laws allowing only one person to collect on a winning ticket even when the ticket was brought by a group which made paying the taxes a real head ache for the winners but a lawyer's dream.  It has only been in the last ten years or so that states changed their laws to allow groups to claim winning tickets with each member of the group paying the taxes on their share of the winnings.

While playing  in a group may reduce the cost to play, it doesn't make winning any easier.  Most people join a group to contribute a dollar or so with 10 or so other people to buy tickets but many players don't think twice about buying 20 or so tickets every drawing so most pools odds of winning aren't any better than those of many single players.

The idea behind pools - love it... less money in, more chances. 

The reality with pools that HAVE won - headache-bellyache-lawyerbills.  - pass

dallascowboyfan's avatar - tiana the-princess-and-the-frog.jpg
            Oklahoma
            United States
            Member #82391
            November 12, 2009
            6290 Posts
            Posted: July 5, 2012, 8:06 am - IP Logged

Lottery pools are a choice, don't take it away from the people who want it.

I Agree!

I Love Pink & Green 1908

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
              Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
              United States
              Member #73904
              April 28, 2009
              14903 Posts
              Posted: July 5, 2012, 1:05 pm - IP Logged

You can play in a pool

Like a cute little ducky

It'll be really cool

If you get really lucky

But like a sample of stool

The winnings are sucky

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

Economy class
                Belgium
                Member #123700
                February 27, 2012
                4035 Posts
                Posted: July 5, 2012, 1:52 pm - IP Logged

The little duck's pool mate

Economy class
                  Belgium
                  Member #123700
                  February 27, 2012
                  4035 Posts
                  Posted: July 5, 2012, 1:55 pm - IP Logged

Argue  +    Argue   +   Hit With Stick   +    Dunk    +     Bash     +     Chair   +   Poke =   Bad Pool Chemistry

I Agree!

RL-RANDOMLOGIC's avatar - usafce

United States
                    Member #59354
                    March 13, 2008
                    3962 Posts
                    Posted: July 14, 2012, 5:09 am - IP Logged

If you win in a pool then it's good, If you win by yourself then it's even better.  Loosing either way

is bad.

RL

Working on my Ph.D.  "University of hard Knocks"

I will consider the opinion that my winnings are a product of chance if you are willing to consider

they are not.  Many great discoveries come while searching for something else

USAF https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prime_Base_Engineer_Emergency_Force

US Flag Trump / 2016 & 2020  

aquariuslottery's avatar - AquariusLotteryLogo
                      Vancouver BC
                      Canada
                      Member #96078
                      August 22, 2010
                      110 Posts
                      Posted: July 15, 2012, 7:37 pm - IP Logged

The only glue that keeps pools together is frequent winning. Before you create a pool check if you can provide this feature. The same applies if you join someone's pool. A pool that is constantly loosing is not going too last. My pool for 649 years ago fell apart because of that. When we were winning (making profit for 3 months) I had a lot of willing candidates for participation. When we stopped winning in the next 3 months people very quickly lost interest. You can't blame them for that - nobody wants to be a part of money loosing enterprise, lottery pools included.

Aquarius

maximumfun's avatar - Lottery-030.jpg
                        Lavender Rocket

United States
                        Member #124616
                        March 16, 2012
                        2642 Posts
                        Posted: July 16, 2012, 11:31 am - IP Logged

The only glue that keeps pools together is frequent winning. Before you create a pool check if you can provide this feature. The same applies if you join someone's pool. A pool that is constantly loosing is not going too last. My pool for 649 years ago fell apart because of that. When we were winning (making profit for 3 months) I had a lot of willing candidates for participation. When we stopped winning in the next 3 months people very quickly lost interest. You can't blame them for that - nobody wants to be a part of money loosing enterprise, lottery pools included.

Aquarius

Aquarius - you are over 649 years old?  That is impressive.  What type of lottery pool did y'all engage in 649 years ago?

United States
                          Member #111442
                          May 25, 2011
                          6323 Posts
                          Posted: July 16, 2012, 1:03 pm - IP Logged

Aquarius - you are over 649 years old?  That is impressive.  What type of lottery pool did y'all engage in 649 years ago?

He must be getting the "Triple Senior Discount" by my calculations. Social Security must hate this guy to.   Mad    Most people after 65, see only 30-35

years in benefits. Way to go Aquarius!!!   Thumbs Up

Artist77's avatar - batman14

United States
                            Member #121745
                            January 16, 2012
                            4784 Posts
                            Posted: July 16, 2012, 7:06 pm - IP Logged

He must be getting the "Triple Senior Discount" by my calculations. Social Security must hate this guy to.   Mad    Most people after 65, see only 30-35

years in benefits. Way to go Aquarius!!!   Thumbs Up

lol lol Maybe he can share some stories about the middle ages.

United States
                              Member #111442
                              May 25, 2011
                              6323 Posts
                              Posted: July 16, 2012, 7:10 pm - IP Logged

lol lol Maybe he can share some stories about the middle ages.

Yes Nod    That would be fascinating! Also maybe share which brand of vitamins he's taking.