Welcome Guest
You last visited December 6, 2016, 11:05 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Just heard Lottery Preys on the Poor

Topic closed. 32 replies. Last post 4 years ago by rdgrnr.

Page 1 of 3
PrintE-mailLink
Cupcake10's avatar - Lottery-050.jpg

United States
Member #91718
May 23, 2010
690 Posts
Posted: June 29, 2012, 5:54 pm - IP Logged

How true is this... I just heard on the news how the lottery preys on the poor and it would be good to ban the lottery in TX. Why is it that the poor spends more money on the lottery than the rich. I guess the poor is looking for the one big win... even if it's small and they will spend every penny then have to win something. I think if you are poor it would be best to save your money and not spend a penny on the lottery.

haymaker's avatar - Lottery-012.jpg
    Egg Harbor twp.south Jersey shore
    United States
    Member #112968
    June 29, 2011
    3854 Posts
    Posted: June 29, 2012, 6:14 pm - IP Logged

Look @ %

I gamble about $1600 a year, less than 2% of my income,

If someone making $16,000 a year does that thats 10% and indicates gambling addiction.

Another factor, If I already owned 20 mils. + I might not be bothered to play.

Extraordinary Popular Delusions & the Madness of Crowds    -- Charles Mackay  LL.D.

maximumfun's avatar - Lottery-030.jpg
      Lavender Rocket

United States
      Member #124616
      March 16, 2012
      2642 Posts
      Posted: June 29, 2012, 6:19 pm - IP Logged

I play less than 700$ per year, which is also less than 2% of my income (yikes!  if that were over 2% I think ... yikes!)  ... so I concur with haymaker... it depends on the total financial picture as to what is appropriate...

but if I were a minimum wage earner... it would be proportionately a huge amount.

United States
        Member #91718
        May 23, 2010
        690 Posts
        Posted: June 29, 2012, 7:02 pm - IP Logged

I play less than 700$ per year, which is also less than 2% of my income (yikes!  if that were over 2% I think ... yikes!)  ... so I concur with haymaker... it depends on the total financial picture as to what is appropriate...

but if I were a minimum wage earner... it would be proportionately a huge amount.

I once said if I play, I would set a budget for the month and play $50 so that would be $600 per year.  I really want to play P3 and let be my earnings for the other games. I like working with numbers but can't get enough nerves up to play.

United States
          Member #111442
          May 25, 2011
          6323 Posts
          Posted: June 29, 2012, 7:49 pm - IP Logged

I once said if I play, I would set a budget for the month and play $50 so that would be $600 per year.  I really want to play P3 and let be my earnings for the other games. I like working with numbers but can't get enough nerves up to play.

Try chugging a couple shots of Jack Daniels first. That should loosen you up, and steady those nerves. Then march yourself right into the nearest

store, and demand 10 QP's.  Cheers  (with newbies luck, your sure to win something nice! Lep ).

United States
            Member #91718
            May 23, 2010
            690 Posts
            Posted: June 29, 2012, 7:54 pm - IP Logged

Try chugging a couple shots of Jack Daniels first. That should loosen you up, and steady those nerves. Then march yourself right into the nearest

store, and demand 10 QP's.  Cheers  (with newbies luck, your sure to win something nice! Lep ).

I have played the jackpot before in my life. I play when it's over 100 millions!!!! I just don't play like I want to... it's okay though because it's one way to keep my money.

tntea's avatar - Lottery-059.jpg

United States
              Member #5344
              June 30, 2004
              23641 Posts
              Posted: June 29, 2012, 9:40 pm - IP Logged

Why don't you play pick 3?

OLD/Vtrac   Lottery Bible         Double Warnings      Thumbs Up TN F34/F44

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
                Chief Bottle Washer
                New Jersey
                United States
                Member #1
                May 31, 2000
                23262 Posts
                Posted: June 29, 2012, 9:53 pm - IP Logged

How true is this... I just heard on the news how the lottery preys on the poor and it would be good to ban the lottery in TX. Why is it that the poor spends more money on the lottery than the rich. I guess the poor is looking for the one big win... even if it's small and they will spend every penny then have to win something. I think if you are poor it would be best to save your money and not spend a penny on the lottery.

That's why we posted a news story about it yesterday.

Check the State Lottery Report Card
                What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
                Help eliminate computerized drawings!

United States
                  Member #128920
                  June 5, 2012
                  10 Posts
                  Posted: June 30, 2012, 12:30 pm - IP Logged

I'm poor and I have nothing better to do with my money. SO whats the issue? I could be spending this on alchol

United States
                    Member #111442
                    May 25, 2011
                    6323 Posts
                    Posted: June 30, 2012, 12:34 pm - IP Logged

I'm poor and I have nothing better to do with my money. SO whats the issue? I could be spending this on alchol

As long as it's rubbing alcohol, you should be fine.

IPlayWeekly's avatar - avatarmoney
                      Columbus, Ohio
                      United States
                      Member #128906
                      June 5, 2012
                      591 Posts
                      Posted: June 30, 2012, 4:41 pm - IP Logged

I'm in the same boat, lmao

Littleoldlady's avatar - basket
                        Clarksville
                        United States
                        Member #487
                        July 15, 2002
                        17638 Posts
                        Posted: June 30, 2012, 6:23 pm - IP Logged

Most of the people I know play P3 and P4.  They don't seem to win that often.  The P3/P4 can take your money just like any other game.  In fact, can take it faster.  I used to play about 300 bucks a month but I have cut that amount to about 40 or less per month.  Most of the time if I can get by I will play about 4 numbers.  I box them so If I don't win..it doesn't bother me.  What does bother me is that it seems as if the numbers are being controlled..controlled winning.  I have seen many patterns that I have not seen before.  I am just doing more observing now and a lot less playing.

If you know your number is going to hit, have patience and then KILL IT!

You never know when you will get another hit.

United Kingdom
                          Member #122950
                          February 10, 2012
                          85 Posts
                          Posted: July 2, 2012, 1:33 am - IP Logged

Pathological gambler is not about money spent. It's whether you've won or lost.

If you win the jackpot, they call you lucky, math genius but not an addict...until money is lost again.

Suspiciousness is one way of saying that one do not want to know the truth. It is the best way to keep the mind empty and the spirit restless.

CajunWin4's avatar - Lottery-061.jpg
                            Whiskey Island
                            United States
                            Member #90216
                            April 24, 2010
                            12739 Posts
                            Posted: July 2, 2012, 1:37 am - IP Logged

The Taxas Lottery is not forcing them to play the games . A person must take reponsibilty for their own actions .

United States
                              Member #111442
                              May 25, 2011
                              6323 Posts
                              Posted: July 2, 2012, 5:50 am - IP Logged

Most of the people I know play P3 and P4.  They don't seem to win that often.  The P3/P4 can take your money just like any other game.  In fact, can take it faster.  I used to play about 300 bucks a month but I have cut that amount to about 40 or less per month.  Most of the time if I can get by I will play about 4 numbers.  I box them so If I don't win..it doesn't bother me.  What does bother me is that it seems as if the numbers are being controlled..controlled winning.  I have seen many patterns that I have not seen before.  I am just doing more observing now and a lot less playing.

Congrats Littleoldlady on getting your lottery budget down to just $40 a month!

Do you play your four P3/P4 numbers every day? Just curious how you can do this for so little.  What?

@ .50 cents a number day/evening = $1 per number. Four numbers per day = $4 x seven days per week = $28 x four weeks = $112 per month.