Welcome Guest
You last visited December 7, 2016, 3:08 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Scary Georgia Lottery Rumor for Players Everywhere

Topic closed. 34 replies. Last post 4 years ago by savagegoose.

Page 2 of 3
PrintE-mailLink
maximumfun's avatar - Lottery-030.jpg
Lavender Rocket

United States
Member #124616
March 16, 2012
2642 Posts
Posted: July 7, 2012, 11:10 am - IP Logged

It may be Georgia's way of eliminating the lottery (or the bulk of the lottery) without saying they are trying to get rid of it.

Kentucky
    United States
    Member #32652
    February 14, 2006
    7310 Posts
    Posted: July 7, 2012, 5:14 pm - IP Logged

You need id to play any lottery because you must be able to prove you're over 18 if asked.

While at first it sounds pretty stupid to require id to play, as many will play and few will win.  It really isn't all that different from what's required when winning over $600 unless you want to hop from store to store.

"If you win more than $600, you'll need to fill out a claim form, collect your photo ID and Social Security card, and head to a Georgia Lottery district office . . ."

Now while I really don't have a clue, I'm thinking perhaps they want to go down the lines of food stamps where they have a reloadable debit card for players to both pay to play, collect and spend winnings, eh? 

Sure would make it easier for merchants to hand out a debit card or load a prize onto one instead of handling cash, though they don't need id to do that with other debit/gift cards so it must be a tax thing, child support, unpaid fines, etc. they want to be sure to collect, could be, maybe?

Hey, it's government, wouldn't put anything past 'em.  We just had a local government Hallandale Fl. fire a lifeguard for saving a guy from drowning because he was on the wrong side of some magic line in the sand.  Now the mayor joy cooper is trying to claim the company is an independent contractor the city hired to run the lifeguards so the city has nothing to do with their policy not to save people where they're not paid to save them, insane rubbish, but that's floriduh.

BobP

You brought up some very logical reasons why GA would do this, but I'll bet other states will wait and see the effect on the GA Lottery's bottom line, which is ticket sales before even suggesting it.

Jake's avatar - animal bird.jpg

United States
      Member #2217
      September 1, 2003
      985 Posts
      Posted: July 8, 2012, 8:29 am - IP Logged

I think the mystery is solved with a little help from miss9  - it's HB 346 and you can track it down by google or at the georgia.gov site.

I read it a few times.  If I understand this correctly, players will have the option to apply for a debit card to be used expressly for lottery play and payout.  Again, if I understand the legislative wording, this will be an optional method for GA players. 

I guess just another move to take us to a paperless society and keep track of things, neat and tidy.

I can see one up side - if you were a routine player or greater, this would pinpoint your spend versus win and there could be no argument from the tax man on what you had spent/lost. 

Something for us all to think about.  Thanks all for helping me get my head around this!  J

tntea's avatar - Lottery-059.jpg

United States
        Member #5344
        June 30, 2004
        23641 Posts
        Posted: July 8, 2012, 10:39 am - IP Logged

Maybe it will be a way to make sure people who are receiving public assistant doesn't waste their benefits on the lottery.

OLD/Vtrac   Lottery Bible         Double Warnings      Thumbs Up TN F34/F44

pavizlo$'s avatar - binary
          OKC, OK
          United States
          Member #120575
          December 22, 2011
          818 Posts
          Posted: July 8, 2012, 2:52 pm - IP Logged

Wow, I would be a former player also, that comes to Michigan , and I'll be done, Don't need to be tracked that way.

I agree with you Sully16, I would be done with it!!

GOOD LUCK EVERYONE

pavizlo$'s avatar - binary
            OKC, OK
            United States
            Member #120575
            December 22, 2011
            818 Posts
            Posted: July 8, 2012, 2:56 pm - IP Logged

Maybe it will be a way to make sure people who are receiving public assistant doesn't waste their benefits on the lottery.

If the state think this way, the public assistance go back to the state anyway.

GOOD LUCK EVERYONE

Kentucky
              United States
              Member #32652
              February 14, 2006
              7310 Posts
              Posted: July 9, 2012, 6:25 pm - IP Logged

I think the mystery is solved with a little help from miss9  - it's HB 346 and you can track it down by google or at the georgia.gov site.

I read it a few times.  If I understand this correctly, players will have the option to apply for a debit card to be used expressly for lottery play and payout.  Again, if I understand the legislative wording, this will be an optional method for GA players. 

I guess just another move to take us to a paperless society and keep track of things, neat and tidy.

I can see one up side - if you were a routine player or greater, this would pinpoint your spend versus win and there could be no argument from the tax man on what you had spent/lost. 

Something for us all to think about.  Thanks all for helping me get my head around this!  J

Optional is a lot better than mandatory!

It looks like the GA Lottery is setting the table so players can easily adapt to online play.

psykomo's avatar - animal shark.jpg

United States
                Member #4877
                May 30, 2004
                5120 Posts
                Posted: July 9, 2012, 7:09 pm - IP Logged

You need id to play any lottery because you must be able to prove you're over 18 if asked.

While at first it sounds pretty stupid to require id to play, as many will play and few will win.  It really isn't all that different from what's required when winning over $600 unless you want to hop from store to store.

"If you win more than $600, you'll need to fill out a claim form, collect your photo ID and Social Security card, and head to a Georgia Lottery district office . . ."

Now while I really don't have a clue, I'm thinking perhaps they want to go down the lines of food stamps where they have a reloadable debit card for players to both pay to play, collect and spend winnings, eh? 

Sure would make it easier for merchants to hand out a debit card or load a prize onto one instead of handling cash, though they don't need id to do that with other debit/gift cards so it must be a tax thing, child support, unpaid fines, etc. they want to be sure to collect, could be, maybe?

Hey, it's government, wouldn't put anything past 'em.  We just had a local government Hallandale Fl. fire a lifeguard for saving a guy from drowning because he was on the wrong side of some magic line in the sand.  Now the mayor joy cooper is trying to claim the company is an independent contractor the city hired to run the lifeguards so the city has nothing to do with their policy not to save people where they're not paid to save them, insane rubbish, but that's floriduh.

BobP

Bob:

Believe it R not>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>"I trust U">>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>BUT?BUT?>>>>WHY should

WE need D >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>"ID"??? U" KNOW>>>>>>WHO I am >>>>>if (U)(ME)>JACKPOT$$$

NO SMOK'N in D boy's>R>girl's LOCKER

BatCryingBig Grin AngelBatHit With StickIdeaBatBatDupe AlertSmashROFLArgueBatPokeArgue

Jack-in-the-Box

Dr Lottery's avatar - 10847
                  Albany,Georgia
                  United States
                  Member #45615
                  August 24, 2006
                  2135 Posts
                  Posted: July 9, 2012, 7:16 pm - IP Logged

yes all I think this true I got my info from a Indian friend who own several stores .he told me about this back in may.I think you have a option for a debit card or get your money just like we have in the past !! I will find out more info and post later on !!

One day I will Hit BIG!!

Dead_Aim's avatar - canstock2002989

United States
                    Member #6363
                    August 20, 2004
                    4059 Posts
                    Posted: July 9, 2012, 7:37 pm - IP Logged

It is just like every other thing the gov. does to keep track of you. If there is something to this, and it is coming your way, you can bet it will be to squeeze more money out of you in the form of taxes. These leeches can't keep their grubby little hands out of anything. They will soon pass things like no more than one $600 dollar winning ticket per drawing will be allowed to go without taxation and things like that. Once the know who is buying, what your buying, and how much your buying, it is all over, but the crying...Disapprove

Don't Chase... Compare and Narrow

The Cheaper the Cost the Higher the Profit

Many Winners to You.

D_A

United States
                      Member #123134
                      February 14, 2012
                      55 Posts
                      Posted: July 10, 2012, 1:07 pm - IP Logged

Relax.  The "player card" will be optional.

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                        Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
                        United States
                        Member #73904
                        April 28, 2009
                        14903 Posts
                        Posted: July 10, 2012, 1:21 pm - IP Logged

I don't like nobody bird-doggin' me.

Never did.

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

helpmewin's avatar - dandy
                          u$a
                          United States
                          Member #106665
                          February 22, 2011
                          19819 Posts
                          Posted: July 10, 2012, 3:50 pm - IP Logged

don't believe everything No No you hear

Let it Snow Snowman

Kentucky
                            United States
                            Member #32652
                            February 14, 2006
                            7310 Posts
                            Posted: July 10, 2012, 4:54 pm - IP Logged

It is just like every other thing the gov. does to keep track of you. If there is something to this, and it is coming your way, you can bet it will be to squeeze more money out of you in the form of taxes. These leeches can't keep their grubby little hands out of anything. They will soon pass things like no more than one $600 dollar winning ticket per drawing will be allowed to go without taxation and things like that. Once the know who is buying, what your buying, and how much your buying, it is all over, but the crying...Disapprove

"It is just like every other thing the gov. does to keep track of you."

Every time we use our debit/credit cards the businesses, stores, and even gas pumps have access to our account balances. Big Brother has been watching us much longer than most people think.

Kentucky
                              United States
                              Member #32652
                              February 14, 2006
                              7310 Posts
                              Posted: July 10, 2012, 4:55 pm - IP Logged

Relax.  The "player card" will be optional.

Yeah, but it's more fun to assume it will be mandatory.