Welcome Guest
You last visited December 10, 2016, 9:06 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

What would you do?

Topic closed. 19 replies. Last post 4 years ago by mcginnin56.

Page 2 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
rdgrnr's avatar - walt
Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
United States
Member #73904
April 28, 2009
14903 Posts
Posted: July 10, 2012, 10:56 am - IP Logged

Pavizlo$,

I had something similar happen a couple of times.  I described one of those times in a thread here about being called a bum by the clerk for buying lottery tickets.

The other time was closer to what you're describing.  I was cashing in about a half dozen CA Fantasy Five tickets for replays (which you get when you hit 2 out of 5) and the clerk said (with the highest possible level of suspicion in tone of voice) to me, "These are all from the same day!" as if it were a capital crime (or capitol crime if I had been in Sacramento) to buy more than one lottery ticket.

Since there are billions and billions of lottery retailers here in SoCal, I just decided to not go back there again, but McGinn's suggestion of disarming them with a smile and good-natured conversation sounds like a great plan for at least testing the waters.

If that doesn't work, then you should go Michael Douglas in "Falling Down" on the place and just destroy every shelf in the store with a baseball bat while talking about how they are doing a disservice to the community. 

Just kidding, but good luck in your lotto endeavors, and please let us know how it turned out with this particular retailer.

Capitol crime in Sacramento, LMAO.

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

Kola's avatar - image
    Blundering Time Traveler

United States
    Member #28945
    December 25, 2005
    1528 Posts
    Posted: July 10, 2012, 1:29 pm - IP Logged

Rotate among as many stores as you comfortably and reasonably can...Even if you're extra kind and cordial to the person, because just being nice doesn't suffice anymore(wow!), it may not really help. Although its worth a try, you never really know whats in a person's mind and how far he or she is willing to go. "STUFF HAPPENS", especially when money is involved. Use what you noticed in her behavior to enlighten you to make wise decisions. Good luck!

Legend says that The Craggy One was once asked about the Lottery Circle and the aged Lottery LoreKeeper whispered in his gravelly eloquence,"It is known among our kind that 2 successive draws are in reality the 2 center-points of 2 intersecting circles that share a common radius - a Root Center. This Vesica Piscis is the creative womb for all numbers, the Still Point from which two draws will unite & a new one is born. This "perfect" space is a wormhole through Time(Change). Master its proportions & your numerical predictions will not falter". 

United States
      Member #116268
      September 7, 2011
      20244 Posts
      Posted: July 10, 2012, 1:48 pm - IP Logged

Rotate among as many stores as you comfortably and reasonably can...Even if you're extra kind and cordial to the person, because just being nice doesn't suffice anymore(wow!), it may not really help. Although its worth a try, you never really know whats in a person's mind and how far he or she is willing to go. "STUFF HAPPENS", especially when money is involved. Use what you noticed in her behavior to enlighten you to make wise decisions. Good luck!

Yes this is true, some shop keepers are angry and disenfranchised with life and heavily armed. Be on guard because sometimes they are looking for any excuse to pull out their weapon and start shooting the place up.

Kola's avatar - image
        Blundering Time Traveler

United States
        Member #28945
        December 25, 2005
        1528 Posts
        Posted: July 10, 2012, 2:04 pm - IP Logged

Yes this is true, some shop keepers are angry and disenfranchised with life and heavily armed. Be on guard because sometimes they are looking for any excuse to pull out their weapon and start shooting the place up.

Although what you wrote could happen, I was thinking of people doing things that are much more discreet and more covert. Happens everyday, and can happen to anyone. Just simply be aware - not with a stressed and fanatical stance, but if someone is giving you the "evil eye"...Umm...Maybe you should pay attention...

Legend says that The Craggy One was once asked about the Lottery Circle and the aged Lottery LoreKeeper whispered in his gravelly eloquence,"It is known among our kind that 2 successive draws are in reality the 2 center-points of 2 intersecting circles that share a common radius - a Root Center. This Vesica Piscis is the creative womb for all numbers, the Still Point from which two draws will unite & a new one is born. This "perfect" space is a wormhole through Time(Change). Master its proportions & your numerical predictions will not falter". 

United States
          Member #111442
          May 25, 2011
          6323 Posts
          Posted: July 10, 2012, 2:26 pm - IP Logged

Although what you wrote could happen, I was thinking of people doing things that are much more discreet and more covert. Happens everyday, and can happen to anyone. Just simply be aware - not with a stressed and fanatical stance, but if someone is giving you the "evil eye"...Umm...Maybe you should pay attention...

With the established chain stores and supermarkets this shouldn't propose a problem. With the garden variety Ma & Pa stores, I would agree

with your assessment Kola. Although screw balls can pop up anywhere without rhyme or reason.  Coffee