Welcome Guest
You last visited January 23, 2017, 5:30 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Do You Think That Lotteries Are Draining Money From Addicted Lottery Players Everyday?

Topic closed. 21 replies. Last post 4 years ago by Lucky Loser.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
THRIFTY's avatar - great seal_obverse.jpg
NEW YORK
United States
Member #90535
April 29, 2010
12118 Posts
Posted: August 1, 2012, 3:22 pm - IP Logged

SPENDING THE FOLLOWING AMOUNTS EACH DAY OF THE WEEK=

$1=$365 A YEAR

$5=$1,820 A YEAR

$10=$3,640 A YEAR

SAVING THE FOLLOWING AMOUNTS MONTHLY FOR 5 YEARS=

$100=$6,000 IN 5 YEARS

$150=$9,000 IN 5 YEARS

$200=$12,000 IN 5 YEARS

US Flag

PLAY THE LOTTERY SOMEDAY-IT IS OKAY TO DREAM!

United States
    Member #111442
    May 25, 2011
    6323 Posts
    Posted: August 1, 2012, 4:02 pm - IP Logged

no.

THRIFTY's avatar - great seal_obverse.jpg
      NEW YORK
      United States
      Member #90535
      April 29, 2010
      12118 Posts
      Posted: August 1, 2012, 6:40 pm - IP Logged

no.

You buy zero tickets, you get zero losses. Buying more than 1 lottery ticket does not make any economic sense.

US Flag

PLAY THE LOTTERY SOMEDAY-IT IS OKAY TO DREAM!

mediabrat's avatar - 18z0typ
        upstate NY
        United States
        Member #108791
        March 31, 2011
        549 Posts
        Posted: August 2, 2012, 9:40 pm - IP Logged

You buy zero tickets, you get zero losses. Buying more than 1 lottery ticket does not make any economic sense.

You buy zero tickets, you get zero wins.  As for the rest of it, that's one of the timeless debates here on LP.

Patriot

IPlayWeekly's avatar - avatarmoney
          Columbus, Ohio
          United States
          Member #128906
          June 5, 2012
          599 Posts
          Posted: August 3, 2012, 6:03 am - IP Logged

My budget is $26 a week, doesn't bother me... play what you can afford and not a penny more.  No concerned one bit about the cash, I spend alot more on my vacant rental that I can't sell.

United States
            Member #111442
            May 25, 2011
            6323 Posts
            Posted: August 3, 2012, 6:16 am - IP Logged

Why stop at being thrifty on lottery tickets? You buy zero rolls of toilet paper, you might get your hands a little messy, but your saving a few dollars

every week. Buy zero amount on cable, Internet, and phone service......and save thousands per year!  Idea

Put all these big savings into a high interest CD/Money Market account and earn thousands more on interest.......then live happily ever after!!!  Lovies

SergeM's avatar - slow icon.png
              Economy class
              Belgium
              Member #123700
              February 27, 2012
              4035 Posts
              Posted: August 3, 2012, 6:55 am - IP Logged

Not playing  = 0
              Playing and winning = win
              Playing and loosing = loss

Playing = time and energy consumption
              Bulking = can only be done by people with a lot of money, or you are in debts

It isn't murder, smoke or whisky, ice cream, coke or beer, so you can do it.

SergeM's avatar - slow icon.png
                Economy class
                Belgium
                Member #123700
                February 27, 2012
                4035 Posts
                Posted: August 3, 2012, 7:05 am - IP Logged

Why stop at being thrifty on lottery tickets? You buy zero rolls of toilet paper, you might get your hands a little messy, but your saving a few dollars

every week. Buy zero amount on cable, Internet, and phone service......and save thousands per year!  Idea

Put all these big savings into a high interest CD/Money Market account and earn thousands more on interest.......then live happily ever after!!!  Lovies

Two years ago I stopped using my cellphone. I saved 12M*2Y*(12 to 15€).

United States
                  Member #111442
                  May 25, 2011
                  6323 Posts
                  Posted: August 3, 2012, 7:20 am - IP Logged

Excellent Surge, Congratulations!!! Now your getting THRIFTY!!!  Thumbs Up

olplugger's avatar - moon2
                    Mechanicsville, VA
                    United States
                    Member #84145
                    December 23, 2009
                    1523 Posts
                    Posted: August 3, 2012, 7:36 am - IP Logged

$1=$365 A YEAR

$5=$1,820 A YEAR

$10=$3,640 A YEAR

$100=$6,000 IN 5 YEARS

$150=$9,000 IN 5 YEARS

$200=$12,000 IN 5 YEARS

A good question, Thrifty!  Thanks for posting.  For me, over a dollar a day is too much.  Others, who may be very wealthy by U.S. standards, could spend thousands per day. . . if they wanted to, that is.  However, at that rate perhaps they would not be "wealthy" very long.  Lots of ways to look at the question.

"Whatever the human mind can conceive and believe it can achieve."

Napoleon Hill, Author of "Think & Grow Rich"

BobP's avatar - bobp avatar.png
                      Dump Water Florida
                      United States
                      Member #380
                      June 5, 2002
                      3114 Posts
                      Posted: August 3, 2012, 8:38 am - IP Logged

Typical 6/49 game odds of having winning numbers among any 6 versus any 12 numbers played, number of tickets covering the 12 beyond 2 optional.

6 of 6 = 1 in 13,983,816.00 vs 1 in 15,134.00

5 of 6 = 1 in 54,200.84 vs 1 in 477.20

4 of 6 = 1 in 1,032.40 vs 1 in 42.42

3 of 6 = 1 in 56.66 vs 1 in 8.18

BobP

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                        mid-Ohio
                        United States
                        Member #9
                        March 24, 2001
                        19903 Posts
                        Posted: August 3, 2012, 8:56 am - IP Logged

I've never had a cellphone, I don't smoke and I have a TV antenna on my roof and my neighbors who have and do those things along with having cable or a TV disk wonder how I can afford a couple of lottery tickets every week.  Go figure.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

Kentucky
                          United States
                          Member #32652
                          February 14, 2006
                          7344 Posts
                          Posted: August 3, 2012, 12:52 pm - IP Logged

$1=$365 A YEAR

$5=$1,820 A YEAR

$10=$3,640 A YEAR

$100=$6,000 IN 5 YEARS

$150=$9,000 IN 5 YEARS

$200=$12,000 IN 5 YEARS

For $364 a year, a PB player can get 182 chances to win $1 million, $40 million, or more. And with 104 drawings a year that's 104 dreams of being out of dept, buying that dream house or car, retiring, and/or paying for all of children or grand children's educations. Seriously, can saving $365 in a year in a bank account for even 40 years accomplish any of those dreams?

Yeah, we all know the odds but that's a very reasonable price for the dreams especially when probably nobody dreams about getting something only costing $365.

I wouldn't call a $10 a day player an addict if they could afford the bets because I can logically assume while they might not break even each year, they are probably winning enough back to continue the play. How other people legally spend their money is none of yours or my business.

"Do You Think That Lotteries Are Draining Money From Addicted Lottery Players Everyday?"

I don't know where you buy your tickets, but I bought tickets in many states and never once did a clerk point an AK at me and demand I buy a lottery ticket(s). Lotteries are a legal form of optional gambling where the players decide when and how much to bet. Cable and dish TV cost more than $1 a day; are those people draining money from watchers who are addicted to the Food Channel?

"$200=$12,000 IN 5 YEARS"

The last time I noticed, a pack of smokes cost over $4 so a pack a day smoker could save $7300 in 5 years with zero chance of recouping any of that money. My current $6 a day ($182 a month) pick-4 "habit" could net me over $12,000 tonight. Should I be "wise" and put my lottery spendings (which I can easily afford) in the bank and wait five years or should I continue to gamble and maybe win over $12,000 several times?

Your assumption of saving $12,000 instead of spending $12,000 on lottery tickets in five years is based on never winning a thing. After 6 months or one year, even a novice player will probably reevaluate their play and move on to another strategy or game that will give them a return.

If the lottery is draining your money, you have nobody to blame but yourself and how you legally spend or save your money is your business.

Kentucky
                            United States
                            Member #32652
                            February 14, 2006
                            7344 Posts
                            Posted: August 3, 2012, 1:12 pm - IP Logged

I've never had a cellphone, I don't smoke and I have a TV antenna on my roof and my neighbors who have and do those things along with having cable or a TV disk wonder how I can afford a couple of lottery tickets every week.  Go figure.

The last time I checked, playing the lottery is a choice so none of us have to justify having the money to play lottery games. If someone believes the lottery is draining their money, they have the choice to quit playing.

Should lottery winners feel badly about lottery losers that had the exact same chance of winning?

Should the Olympics throw out the times and the efforts of the winners and give every participant a gold metal?

Littleoldlady's avatar - basket
                              Clarksville
                              United States
                              Member #487
                              July 15, 2002
                              17638 Posts
                              Posted: August 3, 2012, 8:20 pm - IP Logged

I think the title is misleading.  All people who play everyday are not addicted, however, I do believe playing the lottery for some folks is more like an act of desperation.  I have seen folks play up their bill money trying to get a hit so that they can have more money.  When the hit does not materialize, then they are stuck..lend me, give me, can you spare type scenario.

If you know your number is going to hit, have patience and then KILL IT!

You never know when you will get another hit.