Welcome Guest
You last visited December 7, 2016, 4:45 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Could We Use Another Big Game Lottery??

Topic closed. 52 replies. Last post 4 years ago by THRIFTY.

Page 2 of 4
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #111442
May 25, 2011
6323 Posts
Posted: August 5, 2012, 7:12 pm - IP Logged

Fifty cents for a ticket ain't gonna happen. Lotteries are looking for ways to increase the price of a ticket and increase revenue. Texas is starting a new game in a month or so called All or Nothing. Ticket cost will be $2. Top prize will be $250,000. There will be 4 draws a day, 6 days a week. You can see where that is going. Look for other states to follow suit, especially if this game is successful. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised to see the Pick 3 and Daily 4 games changed to 4 draws a day eventually in Texas. I won't be playing 4 times a day in any game.

That may well be rcbbuckeye. I suggested a less expensive ticket as a means of drawing attention to a new game, that hopefully would instantly

attract new players. There is a pick 5 game in MA (which I play once a week), called Mass Cash which used to be played only twice a week, now it's

every day of the week. So I can see the writing on the wall. Texas is certainly getting very aggressive in their game promotions! And like you said,

once other states see the success and prosperity they are enjoying, it will just be a matter of time before other states follow suit.

Wooddrive's avatar - Lottery-046.jpg
    Delco PA
    United States
    Member #80104
    September 16, 2009
    194 Posts
    Posted: August 5, 2012, 7:25 pm - IP Logged

Whenever a game is discontinued, whatever the jackpot amount, all money is distributed, even if all the numbers don't match. Jackpot first, if no jackpot winner, then 2nd tier, 3rd tier and so on...evenly. They should have a game where all money are distributed. I don't know what the guaranteed jackpot would be but I would definitely play knowing evrything will be paid out.

United States
      Member #111442
      May 25, 2011
      6323 Posts
      Posted: August 5, 2012, 7:30 pm - IP Logged

Whenever a game is discontinued, whatever the jackpot amount, all money is distributed, even if all the numbers don't match. Jackpot first, if no jackpot winner, then 2nd tier, 3rd tier and so on...evenly. They should have a game where all money are distributed. I don't know what the guaranteed jackpot would be but I would definitely play knowing evrything will be paid out.

That is a great idea Wooddrive! So long as there are steady sales each week to replenish the jackpot, I would definitely be interested in such

a game. Wonder if it's ever been tried out before. What?  (without being discontinued).

weshar75's avatar - Lottery-042.jpg
        Mcminnville, Oregon
        United States
        Member #3013
        December 13, 2003
        3051 Posts
        Posted: August 5, 2012, 7:36 pm - IP Logged

I know that the lottery heads are working on a national game.  I would like to see a $5 or $10 raffle or even $20 raffle go nation wide to see what kind of prize you could win for your money or a big game that draws twice a week like say monday night and thursday night since powerball and mega have tuesday and wednesday and friday and saturday taken.-weshar75

US Flag

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
          mid-Ohio
          United States
          Member #9
          March 24, 2001
          19826 Posts
          Posted: August 5, 2012, 7:39 pm - IP Logged

Didn't Massachusetts try to do that with their roll down game?  Every time the jackpot reached $2,000,000 if there wasn't a jackpot winner, the amount of the jackpot was shared by the lower tier winners.  You missed your chance cause they discontinued that game earlier this year.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

Delco PA
            United States
            Member #80104
            September 16, 2009
            194 Posts
            Posted: August 5, 2012, 7:45 pm - IP Logged

I know that the lottery heads are working on a national game.  I would like to see a $5 or $10 raffle or even $20 raffle go nation wide to see what kind of prize you could win for your money or a big game that draws twice a week like say monday night and thursday night since powerball and mega have tuesday and wednesday and friday and saturday taken.-weshar75

US Flag

i might play a raffle style game but i really would like to see MORE smaller prizes. Pa already has $20 raffles twice a year and oh boy, I've wasted a lot of twentys without even getting a sniff of the jackpot. besides $20 raffle a week is too much to spend. they already have my left arm, i need my right arm to wipe my sorry azz.

Delco PA
              United States
              Member #80104
              September 16, 2009
              194 Posts
              Posted: August 5, 2012, 7:48 pm - IP Logged

Didn't Massachusetts try to do that with their roll down game?  Every time the jackpot reached $2,000,000 if there wasn't a jackpot winner, the amount of the jackpot was shared by the lower tier winners.  You missed your chance cause they discontinued that game earlier this year.

I don't know. Is that the game they discontinued because someone figured out that if all the numbers were bought they would be ahead. or am i thinking of another game? not familiar with Mass games.

United States
                Member #111442
                May 25, 2011
                6323 Posts
                Posted: August 5, 2012, 7:49 pm - IP Logged

US Flag

It's like you were reading my mind weshar. I was just thinking about a previous posters comments about wanting to see a national lottery

doling out twenty or so $1 million prizes every week. The problem with that is how can they "guarantee" twenty people will pick the correct

numbers. Enter the national raffle game, which can guarantee that, as long as they are selling enough tickets each week.

A lot of states do these raffles annually, usually around Christmas or New Years time, and they  seem to be very popular.

Delco PA
                  United States
                  Member #80104
                  September 16, 2009
                  194 Posts
                  Posted: August 5, 2012, 7:54 pm - IP Logged

It's like you were reading my mind weshar. I was just thinking about a previous posters comments about wanting to see a national lottery

doling out twenty or so $1 million prizes every week. The problem with that is how can they "guarantee" twenty people will pick the correct

numbers. Enter the national raffle game, which can guarantee that, as long as they are selling enough tickets each week.

A lot of states do these raffles annually, usually around Christmas or New Years time, and they  seem to be very popular.

in a raffle, you don't get to choose your numbers. it is selected for you witha  limited number of tickets sold according to number of prizes.

United States
                    Member #111442
                    May 25, 2011
                    6323 Posts
                    Posted: August 5, 2012, 8:10 pm - IP Logged

in a raffle, you don't get to choose your numbers. it is selected for you witha  limited number of tickets sold according to number of prizes.

I was aware of that, I've played MA raffles for the last few years. I misled by saying if they sold enough tickets. My implication was that to stay

in the black and be profitable, would be dependent on their volume of raffle ticket sales.

weshar75's avatar - Lottery-042.jpg
                      Mcminnville, Oregon
                      United States
                      Member #3013
                      December 13, 2003
                      3051 Posts
                      Posted: August 5, 2012, 11:01 pm - IP Logged

US Flag

I meant a raffle every month for $5 or $10 or $20 for the nation or another big game that would draw every monday and every thursday so sunday would be the only day of no lottery for another big jackpot game.  Hope that clears things up.-weshar75

US Flag

Nikkicute's avatar - nnjx1k
                        Wisconsin
                        United States
                        Member #123290
                        February 17, 2012
                        3051 Posts
                        Posted: August 6, 2012, 2:33 am - IP Logged

@Mcginnin56

That's so funny you bring up this subject because I was thinking that one day in the

future the lotto will add another big game so there would be THE BIG THREE.

PowerBall   MegaMillions   and   ????

I wanted to start a thread on what it would be named.

I figure it would be one with the word Lottery in it, then I see some states play 

one called HOT LOTTO. I'm like that sounds like a great name! If all the states play it

I think it could get big? maybe...

United States
                          Member #111442
                          May 25, 2011
                          6323 Posts
                          Posted: August 6, 2012, 8:42 am - IP Logged

@Mcginnin56

That's so funny you bring up this subject because I was thinking that one day in the

future the lotto will add another big game so there would be THE BIG THREE.

PowerBall   MegaMillions   and   ????

I wanted to start a thread on what it would be named.

I figure it would be one with the word Lottery in it, then I see some states play 

one called HOT LOTTO. I'm like that sounds like a great name! If all the states play it

I think it could get big? maybe...

I play Hot Lotto myself twice a week, haven't had to much luck thus far. Not a bad name, but it's already being used legally by several other states.

Good thinking however, your on the right track!  Thumbs Up

Some other possible names: "Winner Take All" , Dreams Come True", "Instant Millionaire", "Rags To Riches"

Kentucky
                            United States
                            Member #32652
                            February 14, 2006
                            7310 Posts
                            Posted: August 6, 2012, 12:35 pm - IP Logged

Just looking at two recent threads http://www.lotterypost.com/thread/247928 and http://www.lotterypost.com/thread/249330 some members believe PB is in trouble, some believe MM is in trouble and a few believe both games are in trouble. Because there are many states playing both games there are many reasons why one game should do better than the other at times. Last week the reason was a no brainer when the MM jackpot was $13 million and the PB jackpot was $181 million.

From the state lotteries point of view (especially from those now offering both games) , the only question is how much more profit would a third large jackpot game create. The real profits are generated when the size of either jackpot triggers a ticket selling frenzy so if there is a real potential for more ticket buying frenzies by creating a third game, the state lotteries will do it.

For those playing both games every drawing, the minimum cost is now $6 a week and a third game would add at least another 2 bucks. Do we really need another huge jackpot game where the odds against any one ticket winning anything is one ticket out of every 32 tickets sold on the $2 game, one ticket out of 40 on the $1 game, or another 1 in 175 million chance of winning the jackpot?

When MM had what I would consider the only "must win jackpot" on March 30, 2012, of the 652 million tickets sold, 636 million of those tickets won nothing. The more optimistic dreamers will say a third game will give more chances of winning a huge jackpot, but in reality unless that third games gives a much better overall chance of winning something, it will just create more losing tickets.

United States
                              Member #116268
                              September 7, 2011
                              20244 Posts
                              Posted: August 6, 2012, 12:57 pm - IP Logged

Just looking at two recent threads http://www.lotterypost.com/thread/247928 and http://www.lotterypost.com/thread/249330 some members believe PB is in trouble, some believe MM is in trouble and a few believe both games are in trouble. Because there are many states playing both games there are many reasons why one game should do better than the other at times. Last week the reason was a no brainer when the MM jackpot was $13 million and the PB jackpot was $181 million.

From the state lotteries point of view (especially from those now offering both games) , the only question is how much more profit would a third large jackpot game create. The real profits are generated when the size of either jackpot triggers a ticket selling frenzy so if there is a real potential for more ticket buying frenzies by creating a third game, the state lotteries will do it.

For those playing both games every drawing, the minimum cost is now $6 a week and a third game would add at least another 2 bucks. Do we really need another huge jackpot game where the odds against any one ticket winning anything is one ticket out of every 32 tickets sold on the $2 game, one ticket out of 40 on the $1 game, or another 1 in 175 million chance of winning the jackpot?

When MM had what I would consider the only "must win jackpot" on March 30, 2012, of the 652 million tickets sold, 636 million of those tickets won nothing. The more optimistic dreamers will say a third game will give more chances of winning a huge jackpot, but in reality unless that third games gives a much better overall chance of winning something, it will just create more losing tickets.

Thanks for supporting my point Stack47 that the lotteries are already a huge losing proposition for the public and why would we want more of the same??? The STATE NEVER CAN AND NEVER WILL do anything efficiently or effectively because THERE IS NO COMPETITION which creates efficiency.

It is a monopolized operation to start with and then ADDS the problem of being a inefficiently government run operation. Result = everyone loses.