Welcome Guest
You last visited December 10, 2016, 3:19 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

The Future of Online Lottery Sales?

Topic closed. 22 replies. Last post 4 years ago by Stack47.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
Kentucky
United States
Member #32652
February 14, 2006
7322 Posts
Posted: August 29, 2012, 2:26 pm - IP Logged

Last December the U.S. Justice Department gave a legal opinion that "interstate transmissions of wire communications that do not relate to a ‘sporting event of contest’ fall outside the reach of the Wire Act." and that opened the door for state lotteries to begin selling tickets online to state residents. Illinois and Georgia are currently offering online sales.

The Poker Player Alliance believes that ruling could also open the door for legal online poker playing. The PPA has generally been non-political trying to get support from both sides of the aisle. In their weekly update the PPA quoted a plank that is in the 2012 Republican National platform.

"Millions of Americans suffer from problem or pathological gambling that can destroy families. We support the prohibition of gambling over the Internet and call for reversal of the Justice Department's decision distorting the formerly accepted meaning of the Wire Act that could open the door to Internet betting."
“interstate transmissions of wire communications that do not relate to a ‘sporting event of contest’ fall outside the reach of the Wire Act.”

Read more: http://www.pokernews.com/news/2011/12/us-department-of-justice-wire-act-applies-to-sporting-events-11711.htm
that “interstate transmissions of wire communications that do not relate to a ‘sporting event of contest’ fall outside the reach of the Wire Act.”

Read more: http://www.pokernews.com/news/2011/12/us-department-of-justice-wire-act-applies-to-sporting-events-11711.htm

With respect to the Republican Party, this was from the section entitled Making the Internet Family-Friendly. However repealing the Justice Department's decision will stop state lotteries from selling tickets online.

For anyone interested, the link is to the 2012 Republican Party platform and the Internet Family-Friendly section is on page 32.

http://www.gop.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/2012GOPPlatform.pdf

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
    Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
    United States
    Member #73904
    April 28, 2009
    14903 Posts
    Posted: August 29, 2012, 3:54 pm - IP Logged

Last December the U.S. Justice Department gave a legal opinion that "interstate transmissions of wire communications that do not relate to a ‘sporting event of contest’ fall outside the reach of the Wire Act." and that opened the door for state lotteries to begin selling tickets online to state residents. Illinois and Georgia are currently offering online sales.

The Poker Player Alliance believes that ruling could also open the door for legal online poker playing. The PPA has generally been non-political trying to get support from both sides of the aisle. In their weekly update the PPA quoted a plank that is in the 2012 Republican National platform.

"Millions of Americans suffer from problem or pathological gambling that can destroy families. We support the prohibition of gambling over the Internet and call for reversal of the Justice Department's decision distorting the formerly accepted meaning of the Wire Act that could open the door to Internet betting."
    “interstate transmissions of wire communications that do not relate to a ‘sporting event of contest’ fall outside the reach of the Wire Act.”

that “interstate transmissions of wire communications that do not relate to a ‘sporting event of contest’ fall outside the reach of the Wire Act.”

With respect to the Republican Party, this was from the section entitled Making the Internet Family-Friendly. However repealing the Justice Department's decision will stop state lotteries from selling tickets online.

For anyone interested, the link is to the 2012 Republican Party platform and the Internet Family-Friendly section is on page 32.

http://www.gop.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/2012GOPPlatform.pdf

"Nothing is stronger than an idea whose time has come."

- Victor Hugo

Party Platforms won't stop it, it's just a matter of time now.

Kentucky
      United States
      Member #32652
      February 14, 2006
      7322 Posts
      Posted: August 29, 2012, 8:32 pm - IP Logged

- Victor Hugo

Now that at least two state lotteries have online ticket sales, repealing the Justice Departments decision could become a states rights issue and go all the way to the Supreme Court.

I agree about the platform; it satisfies the Georgia Family Council and a similar group opposing the Arkansas Lottery. It probably satisfies the North Dallas chapter of the NAACP too though I doubt they were part of the platform selection process.

Lucky Loser's avatar - bucks
        Texas
        United States
        Member #86154
        January 30, 2010
        1649 Posts
        Posted: August 29, 2012, 9:55 pm - IP Logged

Well Stack, this is how I feel about it. What you decide to do with your money in the privacy of your own home or office shouldYOUR OWN D*MN BUSINESS!!! We have waaaaaaaay too much government as it presently stands anyway...let alone regulating what, or, how we spend our money. If a person decides to spend their monies online to play the lottery, and they have better chances of winning by playing with software, then more power to them!! 

In the end, anything up to $599 isn't taxable anyway, just as it is with regualr state (mom&pop store) lotto sales. They're making much ado about nothing with the online lottot deal. The only thing that might be affected is mom & pop stores in terms of people standing in line to play numbers. With software, though, a player can do just what they want to do, in any amount in privacy, and be in the privacy of their homes.

Hell, everything else in the world is trending towards CONVENIENCE so why not the lottery??? Let the people do what they want to do...and leave them alone! This is AMERICA, right???

L.L.

Kentucky
          United States
          Member #32652
          February 14, 2006
          7322 Posts
          Posted: August 31, 2012, 9:24 pm - IP Logged

Well Stack, this is how I feel about it. What you decide to do with your money in the privacy of your own home or office shouldYOUR OWN D*MN BUSINESS!!! We have waaaaaaaay too much government as it presently stands anyway...let alone regulating what, or, how we spend our money. If a person decides to spend their monies online to play the lottery, and they have better chances of winning by playing with software, then more power to them!! 

In the end, anything up to $599 isn't taxable anyway, just as it is with regualr state (mom&pop store) lotto sales. They're making much ado about nothing with the online lottot deal. The only thing that might be affected is mom & pop stores in terms of people standing in line to play numbers. With software, though, a player can do just what they want to do, in any amount in privacy, and be in the privacy of their homes.

Hell, everything else in the world is trending towards CONVENIENCE so why not the lottery??? Let the people do what they want to do...and leave them alone! This is AMERICA, right???

L.L.

"Millions of Americans suffer from problem or pathological gambling"

Even if I were to believe that is true, I can't see how that applies to opening an online account using a bank card and depositing money to play the same lottery games we can legally play by buying tickets at a store. Even the occasional lottery players could save money by not driving to a store. It looks like the platform committee had way too much time on their hands or believes the majority of lottery players are pathological gamblers.

Artist77's avatar - batman14

United States
            Member #121745
            January 16, 2012
            4804 Posts
            Posted: September 1, 2012, 1:17 pm - IP Logged

"Millions of Americans suffer from problem or pathological gambling"

Even if I were to believe that is true, I can't see how that applies to opening an online account using a bank card and depositing money to play the same lottery games we can legally play by buying tickets at a store. Even the occasional lottery players could save money by not driving to a store. It looks like the platform committee had way too much time on their hands or believes the majority of lottery players are pathological gamblers.

I would miss the thrill of filling out betting slips and not buying anything else at 7-11.

J'aime La France.

Kentucky
              United States
              Member #32652
              February 14, 2006
              7322 Posts
              Posted: September 1, 2012, 11:25 pm - IP Logged

I would miss the thrill of filling out betting slips and not buying anything else at 7-11.

The only way selling tickets online could really have an effect on smaller stores is if the lotteries develop online games that compete with scratch-offs. Another factor are the players who want the winning ticket in their hands and don't want to worry about being disconnected or being unsure if their bet was recorded. Playing the same games online is just an option because we still have to go into the stores to buy milk, bread, gas, etc.

From the lottery's point of view, it's just another way to sell their product.

BobP's avatar - bobp avatar.png
                Dump Water Florida
                United States
                Member #380
                June 5, 2002
                3104 Posts
                Posted: September 2, 2012, 8:55 am - IP Logged

When our free country allowed me to play the Australian lotteries online there was never a problem with my bet being recorded, etc.  that I was aware of.  Though I did miss throwing away the losing tickets in bitter disappointment like I do with Florida tickets.

Demorats and Repuglicans, six of one half a dozen of the other, both parties are total crap bringing half of what I want and half I don't. 

If voting ever made a difference it would be illegal.

BobP

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
                  Chief Bottle Washer
                  New Jersey
                  United States
                  Member #1
                  May 31, 2000
                  23277 Posts
                  Posted: September 2, 2012, 10:00 am - IP Logged

- Victor Hugo

I agree.  As Jason Stackhouse said, that train has sailed.

Check the State Lottery Report Card
                  What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
                  Help eliminate computerized drawings!

Mr-Smith's avatar - Lottery-057.jpg
                    rekjavik
                    Iceland
                    Member #99537
                    October 27, 2010
                    177 Posts
                    Posted: September 2, 2012, 10:17 am - IP Logged

We have online lottery sales here and I still buy in the store....

The online QP sucks just as much as buying the tickets in your local Shop.....

Also when you go to buy Gas or walk to your local Shop and you see the lottery machine is right there your not going to say...." Naaah.. I´ll wait and play a home..."  You will snatch up a Card like in your normal routine as you do now.....

But there will be some individuals that will turn into more Hard Core players that are to embarassed to go and play for 1000 dollars in the store...

But they will do it online...

Its a double edge sword, but the shops will be fine....

Ps... No i have never spent a 1000 dollars online...lmao...Hyper

United States
                      Member #129868
                      June 30, 2012
                      2454 Posts
                      Posted: September 2, 2012, 10:23 am - IP Logged

Aside from the politics surrounding this, I personally hate going to the stores to make my purchases.  If the clerks are not getting my numbers wrong, than I am probably being stared down by people who snub their noses at lottery players.  Not to mention the winter is upon us and I hate having to go out in the cold if I don't have to.  By the way I thought the republican party was the party of less government?  Sure doesn't seem that way here.

JonnyBgood07's avatar - Patriots logo1.jpg
                        Connecticut
                        United States
                        Member #61623
                        May 29, 2008
                        20581 Posts
                        Posted: September 2, 2012, 10:34 am - IP Logged

Aside from the politics surrounding this, I personally hate going to the stores to make my purchases.  If the clerks are not getting my numbers wrong, than I am probably being stared down by people who snub their noses at lottery players.  Not to mention the winter is upon us and I hate having to go out in the cold if I don't have to.  By the way I thought the republican party was the party of less government?  Sure doesn't seem that way here.

The justice dept needs to go f*ck themselves.EVERYTHING should be up to the individual states.

A person doesn't need to be a republican or Dem to realize it.

The world would be a happier place if people were actually free to make judgements for themselves and dealing with the ramifications if something goes awry.This is what makes us adults.

"No matter how bad things may get, I'd like to thank my middle finger

for always sticking up for me.."

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                          mid-Ohio
                          United States
                          Member #9
                          March 24, 2001
                          19831 Posts
                          Posted: September 2, 2012, 1:47 pm - IP Logged

The only thing bad about states selling lottery tickets on line is they are probably going to track all those wins less than $600 that most of us don't bother to file with our tax returns since we usually spent more than we won.  Even so if your total loses don't exceed the standard tax deduction for losses, these small winnings could increase your taxable income even though they didn't increase your real income.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

Kentucky
                            United States
                            Member #32652
                            February 14, 2006
                            7322 Posts
                            Posted: September 2, 2012, 1:54 pm - IP Logged

The justice dept needs to go f*ck themselves.EVERYTHING should be up to the individual states.

A person doesn't need to be a republican or Dem to realize it.

The world would be a happier place if people were actually free to make judgements for themselves and dealing with the ramifications if something goes awry.This is what makes us adults.

For the most part, party platforms are nothing more than recorded statements for or against something. Speaker of the House, John Boehner was quoted saying he has never read a party platform so probably very few things in either party's platform became law. Because at least two states now have Internet lottery wagering, any reversal of the 2011 Justice Department's decision becomes a state rights issue and would be decided by the Supreme Court.

Many offshore Internet poker sites were shut down by the Justice Department because they were laundering money to and from American players and some were skimming money from player accounts. It was based on the interpretation of the Unlawful Internet Gambling Enforcement Act of 2006. The JD's decision that opened the door for Internet lottery wagering was on the Interstate Wire Act of 1961.

We can blame both parties for the hypocrisy when Congress says betting millions on the rise and fall of stocks and commodities, including futures isn't gambling but betting $1 on a poker game is. I guess it's just easier to say betting a couple bucks on our lottery numbers online is why "Millions of Americans suffer from problem or pathological gambling that can destroy families" without addressing the problems caused by losing a fortune in the stocks markets.

Nikkicute's avatar - nnjx1k
                              Wisconsin
                              United States
                              Member #123290
                              February 17, 2012
                              3053 Posts
                              Posted: September 3, 2012, 11:08 am - IP Logged

I e-mailed my state lotto to ask if we were going online, the answer was NO.

Was told it's against the law, I told them about our neighbors Illinois and

others that are joining, and how online gambling for lotteries is legal but I was told in

the state of Wiscosin it's against the law.

Maybe they will change their minds or I was talking to the wrong person, the way they

answered I don't think they were even aware of the other states going online.