Welcome Guest
You last visited January 22, 2017, 7:07 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Physically damaged scratch off, winning ticket!! Help

Topic closed. 19 replies. Last post 4 years ago by jamella724.

Page 2 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
NY
United States
Member #23835
October 16, 2005
3501 Posts
Posted: October 12, 2012, 2:09 am - IP Logged

I disagree with that answer. They could at-least look at it in person and try to verify it.

How much time and effort do you think the lottery should spend looking at tiny scraps of paper that people claim are the remains of winning tickets? My guess is that if they helped everyone who claimed to have a winning ticket that was destroyed they'd be spendingat least $1000 to confirm every $100 worth of wining ticket, and encountering a lot of fraudulent claims.

NY has a sensible policy for damaged  or lost tickets. You pay a fee (I think it's $150ish) to have them examine your claim. That  pays for the time required, while making it worthwhile for those who really did lose or damage a ticket that's worth enough to really worry about.

United States
    Member #111442
    May 25, 2011
    6323 Posts
    Posted: October 12, 2012, 7:43 pm - IP Logged

How much time and effort do you think the lottery should spend looking at tiny scraps of paper that people claim are the remains of winning tickets? My guess is that if they helped everyone who claimed to have a winning ticket that was destroyed they'd be spendingat least $1000 to confirm every $100 worth of wining ticket, and encountering a lot of fraudulent claims.

NY has a sensible policy for damaged  or lost tickets. You pay a fee (I think it's $150ish) to have them examine your claim. That  pays for the time required, while making it worthwhile for those who really did lose or damage a ticket that's worth enough to really worry about.

I Agree!  If it's a legitimate ticket, pay the fee and get your money.

If your not willing to pay, your either to cheap, or it's a phoney ticket. Obviously were talking a bigger winner here. ($500+).

United States
      Member #116268
      September 7, 2011
      20244 Posts
      Posted: October 13, 2012, 7:08 am - IP Logged

I Agree!  If it's a legitimate ticket, pay the fee and get your money.

If your not willing to pay, your either to cheap, or it's a phoney ticket. Obviously were talking a bigger winner here. ($500+).

I Agree!  Except RAISE the fee to $200. or so..... just to make it fair......

United States
        Member #111442
        May 25, 2011
        6323 Posts
        Posted: October 13, 2012, 8:09 am - IP Logged

I Agree!  Except RAISE the fee to $200. or so..... just to make it fair......

To make it really fair, raise the fee to an even $1000.

This will weed out all the cheap, cheesy, chumps and chimps.  Wink

Texas
          United States
          Member #132455
          September 4, 2012
          483 Posts
          Posted: October 13, 2012, 9:37 am - IP Logged

Incidents like this happen, and they are unavoidable.  One thing I know is that Lottery should have been informed already of this situation.  Ask them what you can do, and what they will need (such as part of the ticket).  Since they will have the last decision over this matter, I also advise that you pray hard.  $750 is still a big money.  What you can do is to follow all the instrcutions from the Lottery Commission. Good luck and may the Lord granted you your request.