Welcome Guest
You last visited January 19, 2017, 4:14 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Do some people feel envy/jealousy when someone else wins a jackpot or just a big win?

Topic closed. 21 replies. Last post 4 years ago by weshar75.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #122468
February 1, 2012
530 Posts
Posted: October 23, 2012, 10:49 am - IP Logged

Hi,

I'm just curious what people feel when they read stories of jackpot winners or people who have good wins on MM, PB or a scratch ticket. In my state there was a guy who just split the MM jackpot with someone from California a week or two ago. I think it's fantastic this guy won it but on the other hand I have some envy issues because this kid is only 22 years old and probably hasn't been playing the lottery for very long and I've been playing off and on for years.  This was a hard working kid who is now going to be able to help his family and himself out so that's fantastic, yet I can't help but feeling some jealousy that it's not myself. When I get that way I start putting myself down for even allowing myself to have those negative feelings but deep down I can't seem to help it.  I do realize that some people can play for years on end and never get a big win and other people can play once and win the jackpot.  Guess I'm wondering if that makes me a bad person or is it normal to be happy for someone who wins big but also feels some jealousy as well?

Original Bey's avatar - Lottery-022.jpg

Bahamas
    Member #133462
    September 30, 2012
    5946 Posts
    Posted: October 23, 2012, 10:56 am - IP Logged

Do I wish it were me? Yes. Am I envious of him? No. Do I think he doesn't deserve it? Of Course Not.

This is a game of chance and Lady Luck has many friends. I love reading winner's stories. It's a great past time until I AM STARRING IN ONE - lol!

"Everything works  ONCE!"

United States
      Member #111442
      May 25, 2011
      6323 Posts
      Posted: October 23, 2012, 11:04 am - IP Logged

I never feel envy.

I was his time. Tomorrow could be yours, or President Obama's, or Jack Whittaker's.

If anyone is angry or envious, blame those balls for your misfortune.

United States
        Member #116268
        September 7, 2011
        20244 Posts
        Posted: October 23, 2012, 11:47 am - IP Logged

I always feel envy.

Every jackpot (over $7 million) that has ever been won should have been MINE.

helpmewin's avatar - dandy
          u$a
          United States
          Member #106665
          February 22, 2011
          19964 Posts
          Posted: October 23, 2012, 12:01 pm - IP Logged

I always feel envy.

sounds like capital vices No No

Let it Snow Snowman

United States
            Member #116268
            September 7, 2011
            20244 Posts
            Posted: October 23, 2012, 12:06 pm - IP Logged

I found that "capital" is a BETTER vice than smoking or drunkenness............   What?

helpmewin's avatar - dandy
              u$a
              United States
              Member #106665
              February 22, 2011
              19964 Posts
              Posted: October 23, 2012, 12:39 pm - IP Logged

I found that "capital" is a BETTER vice than smoking or drunkenness............   What?

i'll drink to that Cheers...Green laugh

Let it Snow Snowman

United States
                Member #128790
                June 2, 2012
                5431 Posts
                Posted: October 23, 2012, 12:40 pm - IP Logged

I feel pissed off, then i get over it.

United States
                  Member #116268
                  September 7, 2011
                  20244 Posts
                  Posted: October 23, 2012, 12:41 pm - IP Logged

i'll drink to that Cheers...Green laugh

Me too........       Sad Cheers

whiteballz's avatar - Lottery-015.jpg
                    Nutley, New Jersey
                    United States
                    Member #131058
                    August 1, 2012
                    875 Posts
                    Posted: October 23, 2012, 1:21 pm - IP Logged

depends who won. Someone who wins whos been playing for years is fine with me. Then I find out someone who wins who just started playing or plays only once a year, that's when I shake my head in disgust.

United States
                      Member #111442
                      May 25, 2011
                      6323 Posts
                      Posted: October 23, 2012, 1:33 pm - IP Logged

I always feel envy.

I truly feel your pain and despair Ronnie316.    Sad

So the jackpots under $7 million your OK with, that's good to hear.

If I should win one of these lower tier jackpots, at least I could count on you to be happy for me.  Big Smile

Original Bey's avatar - Lottery-022.jpg

Bahamas
                        Member #133462
                        September 30, 2012
                        5946 Posts
                        Posted: October 23, 2012, 1:34 pm - IP Logged

depends who won. Someone who wins whos been playing for years is fine with me. Then I find out someone who wins who just started playing or plays only once a year, that's when I shake my head in disgust.

I don't take everything a winner says at a press conference or in an interview at face value. People often speak to how they want to be perceived by others and most don't want to be viewed as avid gamblers.

The, I just HAPPENED to grab a QP because the JP was high and I said what the heck or my credit card wasn't reading at the pump so I had to go into the cashier and she told me that the powerball was over 100m is GETTING OLD.

If I ever win I will probably take things in the opposite direction and tell lottery officials I mortgaged my house just to create a fund to play the PB - lol! I bet they edit that interview before it's published.

"Everything works  ONCE!"

United States
                          Member #111442
                          May 25, 2011
                          6323 Posts
                          Posted: October 23, 2012, 1:45 pm - IP Logged

I don't take everything a winner says at a press conference or in an interview at face value. People often speak to how they want to be perceived by others and most don't want to be viewed as avid gamblers.

The, I just HAPPENED to grab a QP because the JP was high and I said what the heck or my credit card wasn't reading at the pump so I had to go into the cashier and she told me that the powerball was over 100m is GETTING OLD.

If I ever win I will probably take things in the opposite direction and tell lottery officials I mortgaged my house just to create a fund to play the PB - lol! I bet they edit that interview before it's published.

That's a great angle! And probably truthful for most of us problem gamblers.

I might tell the press I sold my wife to the Saudi's to continue my lottery streak.  Thumbs Up

United States
                            Member #130815
                            July 25, 2012
                            1636 Posts
                            Posted: October 23, 2012, 3:06 pm - IP Logged

Hi,

I'm just curious what people feel when they read stories of jackpot winners or people who have good wins on MM, PB or a scratch ticket. In my state there was a guy who just split the MM jackpot with someone from California a week or two ago. I think it's fantastic this guy won it but on the other hand I have some envy issues because this kid is only 22 years old and probably hasn't been playing the lottery for very long and I've been playing off and on for years.  This was a hard working kid who is now going to be able to help his family and himself out so that's fantastic, yet I can't help but feeling some jealousy that it's not myself. When I get that way I start putting myself down for even allowing myself to have those negative feelings but deep down I can't seem to help it.  I do realize that some people can play for years on end and never get a big win and other people can play once and win the jackpot.  Guess I'm wondering if that makes me a bad person or is it normal to be happy for someone who wins big but also feels some jealousy as well?

I usually feel elation when I read these stories...it just helps fuel the fantasy of if and when i do win..I really can't feel evious because of that one fact, like I said I'm just hoping and praying for it to be me....and soon...it can't come soon enough for me

NightStalker's avatar - 50logo
                              East of Columbus, OH
                              United States
                              Member #120843
                              December 28, 2011
                              451 Posts
                              Posted: October 23, 2012, 3:22 pm - IP Logged

I usually feel disappointed when I don't win and a twinge of envy for the lucky person(s) that did win.  But that usually passes quickly.  After all, there will be another drawing soon enough.

We have a woman who has just started playing regularly with us in our pool.  I found out that her sister recently discovered that she has cancer.  I know she is playing because she hopes we win so she can help her sister with the upcoming medical bills. 

Knowing that has caused me to feel more disappointed when we don't win.

Life's Too Short To Be Unhappy Cool