Welcome Guest
You last visited December 10, 2016, 2:50 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Do some people feel envy/jealousy when someone else wins a jackpot or just a big win?

Topic closed. 21 replies. Last post 4 years ago by weshar75.

Page 2 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
janem's avatar - cat computer.jpg
California
United States
Member #69399
January 9, 2009
380 Posts
Posted: October 23, 2012, 3:50 pm - IP Logged

Do I wish it were me? Yes. Am I envious of him? No. Do I think he doesn't deserve it? Of Course Not.

This is a game of chance and Lady Luck has many friends. I love reading winner's stories. It's a great past time until I AM STARRING IN ONE - lol!

I feel pretty much the same way. Disappointed it wasn't me (this time). I'm usually happy for those that do win because it is a once-in-a-lifetime occurance and I hope the money brings them happiness and changes their life for the better.

It was always in the stars for me to be a lottery winner.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
    mid-Ohio
    United States
    Member #9
    March 24, 2001
    19831 Posts
    Posted: October 23, 2012, 4:23 pm - IP Logged

Hi,

I'm just curious what people feel when they read stories of jackpot winners or people who have good wins on MM, PB or a scratch ticket. In my state there was a guy who just split the MM jackpot with someone from California a week or two ago. I think it's fantastic this guy won it but on the other hand I have some envy issues because this kid is only 22 years old and probably hasn't been playing the lottery for very long and I've been playing off and on for years.  This was a hard working kid who is now going to be able to help his family and himself out so that's fantastic, yet I can't help but feeling some jealousy that it's not myself. When I get that way I start putting myself down for even allowing myself to have those negative feelings but deep down I can't seem to help it.  I do realize that some people can play for years on end and never get a big win and other people can play once and win the jackpot.  Guess I'm wondering if that makes me a bad person or is it normal to be happy for someone who wins big but also feels some jealousy as well?

All my life I have been a part of groups and never been the special or chosen one in any of them, why would I be upset being one of millions of lottery players and not be the special or chosen one that wins a jackpot?  At least when I buy a ticket I think I have as good of a chance as anyone to be the chosen one even if I'm not the smartest or prettiest one in the group.  There's never going to be enough jackpots for everybody to win one and I'm OK with that.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

Lucky Loser's avatar - bucks
      Texas
      United States
      Member #86154
      January 30, 2010
      1649 Posts
      Posted: October 24, 2012, 11:42 am - IP Logged

Hi,

I'm just curious what people feel when they read stories of jackpot winners or people who have good wins on MM, PB or a scratch ticket. In my state there was a guy who just split the MM jackpot with someone from California a week or two ago. I think it's fantastic this guy won it but on the other hand I have some envy issues because this kid is only 22 years old and probably hasn't been playing the lottery for very long and I've been playing off and on for years.  This was a hard working kid who is now going to be able to help his family and himself out so that's fantastic, yet I can't help but feeling some jealousy that it's not myself. When I get that way I start putting myself down for even allowing myself to have those negative feelings but deep down I can't seem to help it.  I do realize that some people can play for years on end and never get a big win and other people can play once and win the jackpot.  Guess I'm wondering if that makes me a bad person or is it normal to be happy for someone who wins big but also feels some jealousy as well?

I really like the way you think and verse yourself here...it's a broad way of briefly analyzing. You mention the age factor and how long the kid's probably been playing the lottery. Very, very good point here because you must be (18) to buy tickets which means he's only been playin' for +-(4) years. Then, there's the playing consistency factor...I'm pretty sure he didn't play every single draw either. Yet, he won.

Anyone would share the same feelings of him maybe not deserving such a break, and for good reasons. Is he mature enough to handle that kind of money? He hasn't even begun to even live life yet, and, hasn't experienced true hard times to be able to appreciate that break. More than likely, he's going to make 22 year- old's financial decisions and blow lots, if not all that money before he reaches age 40...if he's not careful and doesn't have proper guidance. I believe this is where your feelings of jealousy are deriving from because you're probably older, much more mature, and have a plan for such a windfall.

However, the fact that you can clearly see where the lottery doesn't discriminate, at all, in your next to last sentence shows that you're being way too hard on yourself. So, lighten up and continue playing with a positive attitude...expect to win something instead of doubting. Might not get a big win initially, but it should manifest something. I like your rationalization.

As for the kid, I hope he realizes that one day he's going to be old, ready to retire, and will need some of that money for retirement. Personally, I'm very happy I never won when I was that young...I know I would've pissed it away because I was having fun and careless. You can bet your a** I'm ready now, though!!!! Take care.

L.L.

Small games, frequent wins, and regular payouts 'cause.....

There are seven days in the week...'Someday' isn't one of them.

#lotto-4-a-living

Lucky Loser's avatar - bucks
        Texas
        United States
        Member #86154
        January 30, 2010
        1649 Posts
        Posted: October 24, 2012, 1:43 pm - IP Logged

Hi,

"Britain's Youngest Lottery Winner Still Broke, But Expecting Twins." It's a closed topic here on page 5-6 of Lottery News, but just one of many examples of what happens with young winners every day.

L.L.

Small games, frequent wins, and regular payouts 'cause.....

There are seven days in the week...'Someday' isn't one of them.

#lotto-4-a-living

haymaker's avatar - Lottery-012.jpg
          Egg Harbor twp.south Jersey shore
          United States
          Member #112968
          June 29, 2011
          3856 Posts
          Posted: October 24, 2012, 3:14 pm - IP Logged

No I had the same chance they did, and have it again when I buy my next ticket.

Extraordinary Popular Delusions & the Madness of Crowds    -- Charles Mackay  LL.D.

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
            Zeta Reticuli Star System
            United States
            Member #30470
            January 17, 2006
            10354 Posts
            Posted: October 24, 2012, 5:57 pm - IP Logged

My most common reaction is, 'Good for them, when's my trun?'

I think that could be said for a lot of people here at LP.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

weshar75's avatar - Lottery-042.jpg
              Mcminnville, Oregon
              United States
              Member #3013
              December 13, 2003
              3055 Posts
              Posted: October 24, 2012, 7:54 pm - IP Logged

I have been playing the lottery for 16 years and in the beginning I would get mad and envious of the people winning.  Now though I know that I am going to have at least six or more chances at winning the multi-state lottery games that are offered in my state.  I enjoy the stories of winners because I know that their is going to be a big jackpot soon around the corner if I just continue to play the big jackpot games.  So when some one wins mega millions and powerball their is always going to be the next jackpot to see if I can hit something nice before it is won.  I like to play every drawing too so I get mad when I don't have a ticket in play for one of the big jackpot games.  So I try to budget it into my monthly expenses so that I know I will have a ticket every drawing.  Once again good luck to all who play!  Especially me!-weshar75

US Flag