Welcome Guest
You last visited December 8, 2016, 3:03 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Need advice - Claiming money for someone who won pick 4

Topic closed. 27 replies. Last post 4 years ago by NightStalker.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
bob27's avatar - chakra man1.jpg
chicago
United States
Member #34162
February 28, 2006
315 Posts
Posted: October 26, 2012, 12:11 am - IP Logged

Ok. This never happened to me so i need advice.I work at restaurant as this guy knows my boss for many years,and i also work there for few years now and he knows me as well.Today he gave me an offer to claim money for him because he won total of 20,000$ on 4 different tickets ( 1 $ straight) He cashout 3 out of 4 and this last one he wants me to do it for him.I will get 250$ instead for doing him a favor.So my question is,,should i do it.I will probably get a check for 5,000 or little less...then i have to cash this check and give him a money tomorrow.I want to mention that i have some irs problems,i own some money..so you think i will have problems at lottery headquarters? and also will i pay taxes and how much,if i claim this under my name? thank you

zinniagirl's avatar - flower avatar_0026.jpg
    nc
    United States
    Member #99520
    October 26, 2010
    375 Posts
    Posted: October 26, 2012, 12:48 am - IP Logged

You claim it, you pay it.   I wouldn't do it.   You can get into trouble doing it.   Why won't he cash it?   Was the ticket obtained illegally?

bob27's avatar - chakra man1.jpg
      chicago
      United States
      Member #34162
      February 28, 2006
      315 Posts
      Posted: October 26, 2012, 1:00 am - IP Logged

You claim it, you pay it.   I wouldn't do it.   You can get into trouble doing it.   Why won't he cash it?   Was the ticket obtained illegally?

This guy is over 65...He said if he claims more then 10,000$ of winning tickets,,,he have to pay taxes..thats why he asked me....i will get 250$ for that..but if i have to pay more when i file for taxes...then i wont do it and i will give him his 5,000$ pick 4 winning ticket back..

savagegoose's avatar - ProfilePho
        adelaide sa
        Australia
        Member #37136
        April 11, 2006
        3300 Posts
        Posted: October 26, 2012, 1:30 am - IP Logged

be honest with him. tell him you have IRS problems, find out what your obligation is to IRS. and if  you claiming it is even an option. getting others to claim for them is where a whole lot of problems start, so he must trust you not to screw him over.  but make sure you bill to IRS is less than $250

2014 = -1016; 2015= -1409; 2016 JAN = -106; FEB= -81; MAR= -131; APR= - 87: MAY= -91; JUN= -39; JUL=-134; AUG= -124; SEP = -123; OCT= -84  NOV=- 73 TOT= -3498

keno historic = -2291 ; 2015= -603; 2016= JAN=-32, FEB= +12 , MAR= -86, APR = -77. MAY= -48, JUN= -29, JUL=-71; AUG = -52; SEPT= -43; OCT = +56 NOV = -33 TOT= -3297

United States
          Member #111442
          May 25, 2011
          6323 Posts
          Posted: October 26, 2012, 1:46 am - IP Logged

Most states including mine, will pay any winnings up to $5,000 without taking out taxes at the lottery office.

You are absolutely obligated to pay taxes on this amount however. (depending on how you mitigate based upon your tax bracket).

For my state there is no state tax, but you must pay 25% federal tax. For $5,000 this would amount to $1250.

So if he's giving you $250, you would still be on the hook for another $1,000 to the IRS. This does not include your state tax if required.

What a great deal, this guy would be screwing you over big time, not to mention risk more trouble by aiding him in tax evasion.   Puke

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
            mid-Ohio
            United States
            Member #9
            March 24, 2001
            19828 Posts
            Posted: October 26, 2012, 2:02 am - IP Logged

If you don't want to pay taxes on an extra $5000 of income, give him his ticket and tell him to cash it himself.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
              Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
              United States
              Member #73904
              April 28, 2009
              14903 Posts
              Posted: October 26, 2012, 2:12 am - IP Logged

Ok. This never happened to me so i need advice.I work at restaurant as this guy knows my boss for many years,and i also work there for few years now and he knows me as well.Today he gave me an offer to claim money for him because he won total of 20,000$ on 4 different tickets ( 1 $ straight) He cashout 3 out of 4 and this last one he wants me to do it for him.I will get 250$ instead for doing him a favor.So my question is,,should i do it.I will probably get a check for 5,000 or little less...then i have to cash this check and give him a money tomorrow.I want to mention that i have some irs problems,i own some money..so you think i will have problems at lottery headquarters? and also will i pay taxes and how much,if i claim this under my name? thank you

Honesty is the best policy.

Don't break the law for anybody.

savagegoose's avatar - ProfilePho
                adelaide sa
                Australia
                Member #37136
                April 11, 2006
                3300 Posts
                Posted: October 26, 2012, 3:05 am - IP Logged

Most states including mine, will pay any winnings up to $5,000 without taking out taxes at the lottery office.

You are absolutely obligated to pay taxes on this amount however. (depending on how you mitigate based upon your tax bracket).

For my state there is no state tax, but you must pay 25% federal tax. For $5,000 this would amount to $1250.

So if he's giving you $250, you would still be on the hook for another $1,000 to the IRS. This does not include your state tax if required.

What a great deal, this guy would be screwing you over big time, not to mention risk more trouble by aiding him in tax evasion.   Puke

wow i didnt realise how tough the tax is there. i gues im used to tax free winnings. yeah you are correct. and ridge is even more correct. with dont break the law for anyone.

2014 = -1016; 2015= -1409; 2016 JAN = -106; FEB= -81; MAR= -131; APR= - 87: MAY= -91; JUN= -39; JUL=-134; AUG= -124; SEP = -123; OCT= -84  NOV=- 73 TOT= -3498

keno historic = -2291 ; 2015= -603; 2016= JAN=-32, FEB= +12 , MAR= -86, APR = -77. MAY= -48, JUN= -29, JUL=-71; AUG = -52; SEPT= -43; OCT = +56 NOV = -33 TOT= -3297

MzDuffleBaglady's avatar - Lottery-018.jpg

United States
                  Member #81314
                  October 16, 2009
                  18997 Posts
                  Posted: October 26, 2012, 3:21 am - IP Logged

Hey bob27:

You owe the IRS?  The lottery office is going to run your name, and the IRS is going to get their money first.

You should tell your friend to have someone else other than yourself, cash the ticket, because, if you cash it, he will be paying your IRS debt.

Good Luck.

The Struggle is real!

four4me's avatar - gate1
                    MD
                    United States
                    Member #1701
                    June 18, 2003
                    8362 Posts
                    Posted: October 26, 2012, 3:21 am - IP Logged

Don't do it one if you owe money to uncle sam they might take every penny you owe out of the ticket. The taxes on a 5000 ticket is around 1800 bucks.

Tell the guy you own money to uncle sam and he needs to find someone else.

Big John says. You don't hit the number. The number hits you!!!!

I'm not Big John, I'm Four4me, Big John's a friend.
                      helpmewin's avatar - dandy
                      u$a
                      United States
                      Member #106665
                      February 22, 2011
                      19847 Posts
                      Posted: October 26, 2012, 5:01 am - IP Logged

Hey bob27:

You owe the IRS?  The lottery office is going to run your name, and the IRS is going to get their money first.

You should tell your friend to have someone else other than yourself, cash the ticket, because, if you cash it, he will be paying your IRS debt.

Good Luck.

I Agree!

Let it Snow Snowman

CARBOB's avatar - FL LOTTERY_LOGO.png
                        ORLANDO, FLORIDA
                        United States
                        Member #4924
                        June 3, 2004
                        5901 Posts
                        Posted: October 26, 2012, 5:35 am - IP Logged

I see you are from Chicago, and you owe the IRS money. Do you have a connection to the Obama administration? If so, use it!!!

zinniagirl's avatar - flower avatar_0026.jpg
                          nc
                          United States
                          Member #99520
                          October 26, 2010
                          375 Posts
                          Posted: October 26, 2012, 9:20 am - IP Logged

HOw long before the ticket expires?   If it doesn't expire before 01/02/13, suggest he wait until then to cash it himself.   It would be under the new year ( income wise) and save both of you the headache.

United States
                            Member #111442
                            May 25, 2011
                            6323 Posts
                            Posted: October 26, 2012, 9:29 am - IP Logged

HOw long before the ticket expires?   If it doesn't expire before 01/02/13, suggest he wait until then to cash it himself.   It would be under the new year ( income wise) and save both of you the headache.

Now that's the best advice so far!  Yes Nod

Someones got their thinking cap on this morning.  Conehead

dr65's avatar - black panther.jpg
                              Pennsylvania
                              United States
                              Member #74096
                              May 2, 2009
                              22939 Posts
                              Posted: October 26, 2012, 9:31 am - IP Logged

DON'T DO IT. DON'T DO IT. DON'T DO IT. DON'T DO IT.

If he cashed out the 3 of 4, which I HIGHLY doubt, then he can cash the 4th.

He's offering this to people to get out back taxes or child support or something like that. Maybe he has a debt where they will

just keep it all if his name shows up on any lottery related winnings/attempts at collecting.

It probably won't work anyway....if you have tax problems, they just might keep it from you too and why have that win on your

record in case something comes up later on anyway even if a check comes to you?

And another thing, if he gives you $250 and they keep it from you, are you paying that back? And how will you be paying him

what he expects when they do keep the bulk? Are you ready to cough up $5,000 (or any amount under that) if they keep it to

satisfy your tax problems with them?

DON'T DO IT - YOU WERE WARNED.

246 ~~ 485 ~~ 369 ~~ 890 ~~ 705 ~~ 357 ~~ 129 ~~ 165 ~  007 ~ 225 ~ 818 ~ 440 ~  7775 5557