Welcome Guest
You last visited December 4, 2016, 7:21 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Would you take less money to preserve your anonymity?

Topic closed. 36 replies. Last post 4 years ago by weshar75.

Page 1 of 3
PrintE-mailLink

Would you take less money to avoid publicity?

Yes [ 5 ]  [18.52%]
No [ 10 ]  [37.04%]
Depends on how much money we're talking about [ 12 ]  [44.44%]
Total Valid Votes [ 27 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 0 ]  
mediabrat's avatar - 18z0typ
upstate NY
United States
Member #108791
March 31, 2011
549 Posts
Posted: November 15, 2012, 8:51 pm - IP Logged

The news story about the brothers who got caught trying to cash in a stolen scratch-off ticket worth $5 million has an interesting twist:  They asked the New York Lottery if they could take less money in exchange for avoiding the required press conference and the publicity that surrounds it.

Many LP members have been outspoken about their dislike of laws that mandate public disclosure of lottery winners, some of which go so far as to proscribe a press conference.  This raises the obvious question:  If it meant you could remain anonymous, would you be willing to accept less than the full amount of your winnings?  Or would you rather keep the money and figure out how to deal with your newfound fame?

Patriot

whiteballz's avatar - Lottery-015.jpg
    Nutley, New Jersey
    United States
    Member #131058
    August 1, 2012
    875 Posts
    Posted: November 15, 2012, 9:32 pm - IP Logged

how much less are we talking about here?

janem's avatar - cat computer.jpg
      California
      United States
      Member #69399
      January 9, 2009
      380 Posts
      Posted: November 15, 2012, 9:55 pm - IP Logged

how much less are we talking about here?

That would be a factor for me too. How much? Also it would depend on how much I won. If it was at least $15 million, then I would definitely consider it as long as we're talking about a very small percentage of my winnings.

It was always in the stars for me to be a lottery winner.

Kentucky
        United States
        Member #32652
        February 14, 2006
        7298 Posts
        Posted: November 15, 2012, 10:03 pm - IP Logged

The news story about the brothers who got caught trying to cash in a stolen scratch-off ticket worth $5 million has an interesting twist:  They asked the New York Lottery if they could take less money in exchange for avoiding the required press conference and the publicity that surrounds it.

Many LP members have been outspoken about their dislike of laws that mandate public disclosure of lottery winners, some of which go so far as to proscribe a press conference.  This raises the obvious question:  If it meant you could remain anonymous, would you be willing to accept less than the full amount of your winnings?  Or would you rather keep the money and figure out how to deal with your newfound fame?

States that allow anonymity will still publish the name and location of the store selling the winning ticket and when all the neighbors, friends, co-workers, and family of the winner notice a change of lifestyle, they will put two and two together. The same would probably be true if the winner paid to claim anonymously. All the lotteries should allow the big jackpot winners a couple of days to setup some type of security and a tiny portion of the winnings to pay for it.

I'm pretty sure some of our LP members have already written a speech they'll give at their press conference and some have made their disguises.

Original Bey's avatar - Lottery-022.jpg

Bahamas
          Member #133462
          September 30, 2012
          5946 Posts
          Posted: November 15, 2012, 10:19 pm - IP Logged

Keep it simple.

Interview/Press Conference: The numbers mean nothing. You do not have a system. You have no plans for the money. If the back story is memorable you will be.

Action Plan: Rent a crash pad until you can get out of dodge altogether e.g. gated community, new state, etc. Do not make any commitments. Just do what you will do. If families/friends/charities will get monies, write the checks and send them.

Would I take less money? Hell no. Uncle Obama is taking enough!

"Everything works  ONCE!"

United States
            Member #116268
            September 7, 2011
            20244 Posts
            Posted: November 15, 2012, 10:31 pm - IP Logged

Spoken like a true lottery official spokesmouth......

Is this something you and the other lottery officials are actually considering??

United States
              Member #111442
              May 25, 2011
              6323 Posts
              Posted: November 16, 2012, 1:02 am - IP Logged

States that allow anonymity will still publish the name and location of the store selling the winning ticket and when all the neighbors, friends, co-workers, and family of the winner notice a change of lifestyle, they will put two and two together. The same would probably be true if the winner paid to claim anonymously. All the lotteries should allow the big jackpot winners a couple of days to setup some type of security and a tiny portion of the winnings to pay for it.

I'm pretty sure some of our LP members have already written a speech they'll give at their press conference and some have made their disguises.

Here's my speech: (clearing throat)...........Piss off!    Big Smile

United States
                Member #130815
                July 25, 2012
                1636 Posts
                Posted: November 16, 2012, 7:11 am - IP Logged

Heck NO!!!!! They can publish my name, people can try and call me.....you can visit where I USED to live.....WHATEVER......I HAVE NO I REPEAT NO PROBLEM SAYING NO!!!!! LOL

United States
                  Member #116268
                  September 7, 2011
                  20244 Posts
                  Posted: November 16, 2012, 9:28 am - IP Logged

Heck NO!!!!! They can publish my name, people can try and call me.....you can visit where I USED to live.....WHATEVER......I HAVE NO I REPEAT NO PROBLEM SAYING NO!!!!! LOL

I Agree! I think the whole NY scam proves that people who want anonymity have something to fear.

People who are afraid should stay away from buying (or scamming) lottery tickets........

Saylorgirl's avatar - Lottery-065.jpg
                    Indiana
                    United States
                    Member #129225
                    June 13, 2012
                    546 Posts
                    Posted: November 16, 2012, 9:42 am - IP Logged

I Agree! I think the whole NY scam proves that people who want anonymity have something to fear.

People who are afraid should stay away from buying (or scamming) lottery tickets........

I have absolutly nothing to fear I just like my privacy.  I voted it would depend on how much money and the size of the jackpot.  If it is one of the mega huge jackpots it would be worth it to protect my anonymity.

United States
                      Member #116268
                      September 7, 2011
                      20244 Posts
                      Posted: November 16, 2012, 9:51 am - IP Logged

I have absolutly nothing to fear I just like my privacy.  I voted it would depend on how much money and the size of the jackpot.  If it is one of the mega huge jackpots it would be worth it to protect my anonymity.

Except when you buy a ticket you give up your right to privacy in the event you win a big JP. Its part of the game. That's why I said NOT to buy tickets if you are afraid to abide by the rules we all have to live by.

Saylorgirl's avatar - Lottery-065.jpg
                        Indiana
                        United States
                        Member #129225
                        June 13, 2012
                        546 Posts
                        Posted: November 16, 2012, 10:20 am - IP Logged

Except when you buy a ticket you give up your right to privacy in the event you win a big JP. Its part of the game. That's why I said NOT to buy tickets if you are afraid to abide by the rules we all have to live by.

I am not afraid to buy tickets or to abide by the rules, I though the questions was "would you take less" that means it is an option.  As a option it would depend on the amount of money your talking and again the size of the jackpot.  If it's not an "option" then it becomes a moot point and we all smile with our big check at the press conference.

United States
                          Member #116268
                          September 7, 2011
                          20244 Posts
                          Posted: November 16, 2012, 10:26 am - IP Logged

I am not afraid to buy tickets or to abide by the rules, I though the questions was "would you take less" that means it is an option.  As a option it would depend on the amount of money your talking and again the size of the jackpot.  If it's not an "option" then it becomes a moot point and we all smile with our big check at the press conference.

OK, well I thought this was discussion and I dont think the rules require a personal appearance as long as you or a representative shows up and does the conference.......

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                            mid-Ohio
                            United States
                            Member #9
                            March 24, 2001
                            19821 Posts
                            Posted: November 16, 2012, 11:25 am - IP Logged

OK, well I thought this was discussion and I dont think the rules require a personal appearance as long as you or a representative shows up and does the conference.......

No legitimate lottery organization would ever offer such an option so you know you are dealing with a crook.  The questions should be "Would you trust a crook to accept your lottery winnings for you to preserve your anonymity?".  The answer should be a "no brainer".

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

AuntiePat's avatar - animaniacs10
                              Just outside of Cleveland, OH
                              United States
                              Member #54079
                              August 3, 2007
                              106 Posts
                              Posted: November 16, 2012, 11:27 am - IP Logged

Different rules for different states--but after you've been around LP long enough--some topics tend to repeat themselves.

One of the solutions I recall from an earlier--years ago--discussion was that ANY bank in the world would be more than happy to lend you enough $$$  based on your future winnings to give you a line of credit adequate to move, hire security, make peace with relatives and offer them a one time only amount to get off your case and keep their mouths shut, or whatever would make you feel adequately safe enough to make an appearance IF ONE IS REQUIRED BY YOUR STATE--after all, everyone wants to know the back story to a win.  You should be able to plan enough to make your appearance, getcher money and be on a flight to a) your new home, b) an extended vacation or c) visiting someone under an assumed name where noone can trace you til the excitement dies down and someone or something else comes along more interesting or accessible.

Another potential solution was a disguise--a couple form the Chicago area won a jackpot some years ago and both showed up in those giant framed glasses that were shaded halfway down the lenses and the lady was in a wig (not a clown one tho I considered THAT but apparently few of the lottery commissions have enough sense of humor for their winners to be permitted to appear like that) and the little that they did was enough for a credible enough disguise to hide their identities from all but their friends.

Point is--if you have nothing to hide--publicity from a win can be easily handled--you just have to have a plan in place.