Father charged with helping sons steal $5 million lottery ticket

Dec 10, 2012, 7:37 am (59 comments)

New York Lottery

SYRACUSE, N.Y. — The owner of a Syracuse, New York, convenience store was arrested this week on charges of conspiring with his son to steal a $5 million lottery ticket from a man who'd bought it at the store.

Nayef Ashkar, 56, was arrested Tuesday by an investigator with the Onondaga County District Attorney's Office on a charge of fourth-degree conspiracy.

Ashkar agreed with and encouraged his son, Andy Ashkar, in the taking and withholding of the $5 million winning scratch-off ticket from Robert Miles, according to a felony complaint filed this week in Syracuse City Court.

Nayef Ashkar owns the Green Ale Market on East Fayette Street, where the ticket was bought in 2006.

Andy Ashkar, 34, and his brother, Nayel Ashkar, 36, were charged last month with trying to claim Miles' ticket as their own in March. Miles told police he brought the ticket to Andy Ashkar six years at the Green Ale Market and tried to collect.  (See NY brothers charged in plot to steal $5M New York Lottery ticket, Lottery Post, Nov. 14, 2012.)

Investigators from the DA's office developed evidence after the brothers' arrests that their father was involved in a conspiracy to cash the lottery ticket, District Attorney William Fitzpatrick said today.

Nayef Ashkar "participated in the conspiracy knowing that the thing was stolen and it actually belonged to another individual," Fitzpatrick said.

The father became aware of the ticket after it was stolen by his sons, Fitzpatrick said.

Nayef Ashkar was in his store on this afternoon. He acknowledged that he'd been arrested and said he was due back in court next week, but would not comment on the charges.

Court records show he was released on his own recognizance on the conspiracy charge, which carries a maximum sentence of four years in prison.

Miles, 47, said last month that he knew the ticket was worth $5 million when he brought it to the store in 2006. But Andy Ashkar told him it was worth $5,000, charged him a $1,000 fee and gave Miles $4,000, Miles said.

Andy Ashkar then took the ticket and drove away, with Miles chasing him down the road, Miles said.

Miles said he'd been high on crack cocaine the night before and wasn't in a condition to do much to try to keep the ticket. He said he no longer uses drugs.

Miles said he went back into the store once and asked about his winning ticket. Nayef Ashkar and his wife, Wafa, told him they didn't know what he was talking about, Miles said. He said he never went to the police about the case because he knew it would be his word against the Ashkars' until they came forward with the ticket.

Miles filed for bankruptcy in 2008, knowing that he should have been a multimillionaire.

The Ashkar brothers each face charges of attempted grand larceny and conspiracy. Andy Ashkar is also facing a charge of criminal possession of stolen property.

Thanks to kapla for the tip.

Post-Standard

Comments

BuyLow's avatarBuyLow

Surprise, surprise, surprise......

luckyshoes's avatarluckyshoes

I Agree!             If you think you  have a winnning ticket -  of any amount- Sign it  !

maringoman's avatarmaringoman

Crime never pays. These scum bags will learn the hard way. Maybe we shall see them on MSNBC prison shows.

Ronnie316

Now the two brothers RAT OUT their Father, lol. lol. lol. No surprise there......... lol. lol. lol.

Ronnie316

Quote: Originally posted by maringoman on Dec 10, 2012

Crime never pays. These scum bags will learn the hard way. Maybe we shall see them on MSNBC prison shows.

Crime pays all the time...... That's why the store was cashing large winning tickets for a fee.

Ronnie316

I still think they did Miles a favor.... Imagine how his life may have gone with $5 million in crack.....What?

dallascowboyfan's avatardallascowboyfan

First a Child Molester winning a $1million scratch off now a Crack Head....Bang Head

Ronnie316

Crack heads and child molesters have "human rights"................Crazy

jamella724

There are punishments for people who took advantage of others.  Stealing is a major crime...and Conspiracy is a bad action too...Both of them should be put in jail and suffer the consequences of their actions.

Nikkicute's avatarNikkicute

So since the owner is involved aren't they (the lotto cops) suppose to take all lottery

machines/tickets/playslips ect...out of the store like in the Chris Hansen investigationsWhat?

They should never be able to sell lotto again!

Cletu$2's avatarCletu$2

The family that steals together goes to prison together!

Ronnie316

Quote: Originally posted by jamella724 on Dec 10, 2012

There are punishments for people who took advantage of others.  Stealing is a major crime...and Conspiracy is a bad action too...Both of them should be put in jail and suffer the consequences of their actions.

This is a first offence and therefore requires leniency..........

RJOh's avatarRJOh

There's no honor among thieves and crack heads.

Ronnie316

Quote: Originally posted by RJOh on Dec 10, 2012

There's no honor among thieves and crack heads.

I Agree! I think that would apply to illegal aliens as well................

mcginnin56

Quote: Originally posted by Ronnie316 on Dec 10, 2012

Would these be the illegal aliens from other galaxies you are referring to. What?

That being the case, they should be cut some slack as they are most likely just visiting temporarily.  Conehead

Ronnie316

Quote: Originally posted by mcginnin56 on Dec 10, 2012

Would these be the illegal aliens from other galaxies you are referring to. What?

That being the case, they should be cut some slack as they are most likely just visiting temporarily.  Conehead

How insensitive of me....... I meant to say undocumented unofficial resident workers......... (UURW)

mcginnin56

How insensitive of me....... I meant to say undocumented unofficial resident workers......... (UURW)

Quite alright old chum.

I had a feeling you meant the UURW's, but just wanted to be certain, in the event they were monitoring these posts today. Thumbs Up

Ronnie316

Quite alright old chum.

I had a feeling you meant the UURW's, but just wanted to be certain, in the event they were monitoring these posts today. Thumbs Up

As you know the intergalactic aliens have my deepest respect, and per adventure they are involved in the selection process of who wins the next $588 million jackpot prize I want to say they have my full support.

Absolute, unequivocal, unrelenting, undivided, unyielding, undeniable, unmitigated support....

mcginnin56

As you know the intergalactic aliens have my deepest respect, and per adventure they are involved in the selection process of who wins the next $588 million jackpot prize I want to say they have my full support.

Absolute, unequivocal, unrelenting, undivided, unyielding, undeniable, unmitigated support....

Just think how much each of us could accomplish, if we only had that omni-present, universal, unwavering, undieing support.

Ronnie316

Just think how much each of us could accomplish, if we only had that omni-present, universal, unwavering, undieing support.

My number selections are NOT super duper secret, you may share them at anytime with anyone you like, and if you play my numbers and win you are welcome to keep all the money. Thanks. Ronnie316.

https://www.lotterypost.com/thread/247020/2823937

I'm going to throw a big party if I win mister JP tomorrow night.........

Its going to be in FL on a big boat..................

Ronnie316

This is a picture of a BOAT..............

Coffee

mcginnin56

This is a picture of a BOAT..............

Coffee

That is a mighty handsome boat!

Should be one hum-dinger of a celebration party.  Party

As I'm not sure if I'm invited, you'll have to post the party picture highlights on your world famous thread.  Type

Ronnie316

That is a mighty handsome boat!

Should be one hum-dinger of a celebration party.  Party

As I'm not sure if I'm invited, you'll have to post the party picture highlights on your world famous thread.  Type

Thank you, and I feel bad for the father who got ratted out.............

Ronnie316

Perhaps he can get a job at the Rattery...............

Artist77's avatarArtist77

It sounds like Father, like sons.  Too sad. I hope the next generation wises up.

RJOh's avatarRJOh

That might be true but most of the crack heads and thieves caught in this country are legal Americans.

Ronnie316

Quote: Originally posted by RJOh on Dec 10, 2012

That might be true but most of the crack heads and thieves caught in this country are legal Americans.

Ok, but 17% of federal prisoners are illegals and its a much higher percentage in the great state of AZ.

A very high number considering illegals only represent 3% of the population.

Ronnie316

Quote: Originally posted by Artist77 on Dec 10, 2012

It sounds like Father, like sons.  Too sad. I hope the next generation wises up.

They probably could have given the guy a million in cash and made over 2 million for themselves.

Ronnie316

SleepSleepSleepSleepSleepSleepSleepSleepSleepSleepSleepSleepBedSleepSleepSleepSleepSleepSleepSleepSleepSleepSleepSleepSleep

helpmewin's avatarhelpmewin

SleepSleepSleepSleepSleepSleepSleepSleepSleepSleepSleepSleepBedSleepSleepSleepSleepSleepSleepSleepSleepSleepSleepSleepSleep

sweet dreams ronnie, dream of winning Dance

mcginnin56

Green laugh Always know when your ready to sack out my sleepy friend!     Yawn

sully16's avatarsully16

Threw dad under the bus, what a swell family

Newy

Wat bout da ma. They say she run da
Store. She da mastermind. She
Dont mind Five mills.Bash

hsg2000

Need 60 minutes or a similar show do a run on such criminals

US Flag

mcginnin56

Quote: Originally posted by sully16 on Dec 10, 2012

I Agree!  Preferably an overloaded bus with snow spike tires.

dallascowboyfan's avatardallascowboyfan

Quote: Originally posted by sully16 on Dec 10, 2012

You know the old saying, "the apple doesn't fall far from the tree".....

helpmewin's avatarhelpmewin

Quote: Originally posted by dallascowboyfan on Dec 11, 2012

I Agree!  What goes around White Bounce

Jill34786's avatarJill34786

It's truly sad that Middle Easterners already have a negative stigma among many and this episode just makes it worse.

Original Bey's avatarOriginal Bey

The guy was engaged at the time of the fake win. She later starred in his fictional tale to explain why he waited so long to claim.  I wonder what's going through her mind right now. Unhappy

kapla

Quote: Originally posted by dallascowboyfan on Dec 11, 2012

The ROTTEN apple falls in the EXACT same place!! 

noise-gate

" The Father became aware of what his sons had done"..as a Father he bears the brunt of it all..He knew and went along with it. He got sucked into his Sons web of crime- he should have thrown them both under the Bus.

CinCin

Quote: Originally posted by noise-gate on Dec 15, 2012

" The Father became aware of what his sons had done"..as a Father he bears the brunt of it all..He knew and went along with it. He got sucked into his Sons web of crime- he should have thrown them both under the Bus.

I Agree!

Ronnie316

Quote: Originally posted by Jill34786 on Dec 11, 2012

It's truly sad that Middle Easterners already have a negative stigma among many and this episode just makes it worse.

Perhaps you can find a way to support the unfortunate misunderstood Middle Eastern culture...What?

Ronnie316

Quote: Originally posted by CinCin on Dec 17, 2012

I Agree!

I Agree!

Ronnie316

They should close the store and make them all go back to the middle east.......................

RJOh's avatarRJOh

Parents are frequently the victims of their children criminal behavior.  There is no honor among criminals even for their parents, they'll blame everyone for their criminal behavior except themselves.

Cletu$2's avatarCletu$2

Quote: Originally posted by Ronnie316 on Dec 18, 2012

They should close the store and make them all go back to the middle east.......................

I Agree!    But,the liberals would be all over it like white on rice.They'd accuse you of being prejudiced against middle easteners and be pissed off because you violated their rights.The fact that they stole 6 million dollars will get lost in the shuffle.

RJOh's avatarRJOh

Quote: Originally posted by Cletu$2 on Dec 18, 2012

I Agree!    But,the liberals would be all over it like white on rice.They'd accuse you of being prejudiced against middle easteners and be pissed off because you violated their rights.The fact that they stole 6 million dollars will get lost in the shuffle.

There are already laws on the books to deal with their kind of criminal behavior regardless of their ethical back ground, it's not a matter of being liberal or conservative.

Ronnie316

True, perhaps they should have their own laws and not have to abide by our laws AT ALL...........

Cletu$2's avatarCletu$2

Quote: Originally posted by RJOh on Dec 18, 2012

There are already laws on the books to deal with their kind of criminal behavior regardless of their ethical back ground, it's not a matter of being liberal or conservative.

You're correct about there being laws on the books,but that won't stop the liberals from being pissed off and accusing you of being prejudiced against middle easterners.They think they have the right to tell EVERYONE how to live their life!

beaudad's avatarbeaudad

what if one of us did that in their country?  hhhhmmmmmmm??????  that is the tip of the iceberg here !!!!!!! they are only sorry if they are caught !!!!!!!!  sorry they got caught !!!!!!!

Newy

Wooooow...now da moms buyin foodstamp
Cards off welfare scammers for 1/2 price to put food on da table!!!
Gotta check this one out!

Ronnie316

Quote: Originally posted by Newy on Dec 29, 2012

Wooooow...now da moms buyin foodstamp
Cards off welfare scammers for 1/2 price to put food on da table!!!
Gotta check this one out!

Welfare recipients have been selling their food stamps at 1/2 price for as long as theres been food stamps.

Ronnie316

Quote: Originally posted by beaudad on Dec 21, 2012

what if one of us did that in their country?  hhhhmmmmmmm??????  that is the tip of the iceberg here !!!!!!! they are only sorry if they are caught !!!!!!!!  sorry they got caught !!!!!!!

They have barn yard justice in their own countries.

Ronnie316

You're correct about there being laws on the books,but that won't stop the liberals from being pissed off and accusing you of being prejudiced against middle easterners.They think they have the right to tell EVERYONE how to live their life!

I believe in racial profiling when it comes to enforcing the law.

Ronnie316

Quote: Originally posted by RJOh on Dec 18, 2012

All middle easterners should be scrutinized and monitored for illegal activities.

Ronnie316

Artist77's avatarArtist77

Quote: Originally posted by Ronnie316 on Dec 29, 2012

I believe in racial profiling when it comes to enforcing the law.

Amen. People seem to forget who crashed those planes.  It was not 5 ft 2 white females with blue eyes or 80 year old grannies.

Newy

Just curious...wonder if the NY is following
up on the Foodstamp cards that the mom
has been buying for years from these
Welfare frauds that are their customers at
the store where this lottery ticket was
stolen from this poor crackhead. Just can't
And don't want to imagine what they are
doing to the poor "old" fellas that enter their
store:( WHAT A <snip> SHAME!!!

This post has been automatically changed by the Lottery Post computer system to remove inappropriate content and/or spam.

End of comments
Subscribe to this news story