Welcome Guest
You last visited January 19, 2017, 4:14 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Retirement

Topic closed. 114 replies. Last post 4 years ago by billionaire2bee.

Page 1 of 8
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #130815
July 25, 2012
1636 Posts
Posted: December 16, 2012, 9:37 am - IP Logged

So let's say you won a jackpot.....whatever amount.....but at your job you've been there for 18 years....you can get your retirement in 2 yrs...Would you take your jackpot and continue to work those 2 yrs to get your full retirement....or would you just throw in the towel and quit??? I for one couldn't just quit...I EARNED that money and all I'd had to put up with over the years...I'll be darned if they won't give it to me...I would for one go ahead and burn up my vacation time instead of just cashing it in though........LOL...So would you stay or just go...

Republic of Texas
    United States
    Member #57557
    January 9, 2008
    1095 Posts
    Posted: December 16, 2012, 9:42 am - IP Logged

So let's say you won a jackpot.....whatever amount.....but at your job you've been there for 18 years....you can get your retirement in 2 yrs...Would you take your jackpot and continue to work those 2 yrs to get your full retirement....or would you just throw in the towel and quit??? I for one couldn't just quit...I EARNED that money and all I'd had to put up with over the years...I'll be darned if they won't give it to me...I would for one go ahead and burn up my vacation time instead of just cashing it in though........LOL...So would you stay or just go...

My limit for full retirement is to have $10m packed away. So whether or not I have a retirement fund due to me in 2 years has no bearing.  If I don't have $10m put away, I continue to work at my job. It's not so horrible that I'd walk away from it after a jackpot win. Past jobs, yes. Current job, no. In either case, I don't have a retirement fund that is tied to a particular employer. I have a 401k and IRAs.

face

singlewinnersinglewinnersinglewinner   

Artist77's avatar - batman14

United States
      Member #121745
      January 16, 2012
      4954 Posts
      Posted: December 16, 2012, 9:57 am - IP Logged

My limit for full retirement is to have $10m packed away. So whether or not I have a retirement fund due to me in 2 years has no bearing.  If I don't have $10m put away, I continue to work at my job. It's not so horrible that I'd walk away from it after a jackpot win. Past jobs, yes. Current job, no. In either case, I don't have a retirement fund that is tied to a particular employer. I have a 401k and IRAs.

Most employers have 401k /portable plans and they vest after you have been there for anywhere from 6 months to a couple of years. Sometimes you may lose their contributions to your plan(the few employers who contribute any longer) if you leave prior to 1-3 years, but not your own money. I have friends who did/or do work for the government as well and even the fed. govt made their own system portable in the 1980's (for new employees who started after sometime in 1986 I think. If you are older, then you would be out of luck). But I guess one could negotiate an early retirement in a number of situations.

J'aime La France.

United States
        Member #130815
        July 25, 2012
        1636 Posts
        Posted: December 16, 2012, 10:50 am - IP Logged

Most employers have 401k /portable plans and they vest after you have been there for anywhere from 6 months to a couple of years. Sometimes you may lose their contributions to your plan(the few employers who contribute any longer) if you leave prior to 1-3 years, but not your own money. I have friends who did/or do work for the government as well and even the fed. govt made their own system portable in the 1980's (for new employees who started after sometime in 1986 I think. If you are older, then you would be out of luck). But I guess one could negotiate an early retirement in a number of situations.

Good points.....but if you HAD to work those two years....to get your 20 yr retirement.......would you? Or not?

United States
          Member #116268
          September 7, 2011
          20244 Posts
          Posted: December 16, 2012, 12:27 pm - IP Logged

Good points.....but if you HAD to work those two years....to get your 20 yr retirement.......would you? Or not?

Are these test questions??? Im starting to feel like Im being schooled here b2b...........

United States
            Member #116268
            September 7, 2011
            20244 Posts
            Posted: December 16, 2012, 12:28 pm - IP Logged

Perhaps you have an overactive imagination, or to much time on your hands?????Lurking

United States
              Member #116268
              September 7, 2011
              20244 Posts
              Posted: December 16, 2012, 12:31 pm - IP Logged

It is kinda fun reading questions that dont apply to me....... Im glad I dont have a job and dont need to answer the dumbbie test questions.LOL

United States
                Member #116268
                September 7, 2011
                20244 Posts
                Posted: December 16, 2012, 12:33 pm - IP Logged

Do you have any questions for people who don't plan on retiring????

savagegoose's avatar - ProfilePho
                  adelaide sa
                  Australia
                  Member #37136
                  April 11, 2006
                  3316 Posts
                  Posted: December 16, 2012, 12:45 pm - IP Logged

i have already retired,  years ago infact. i just havent told my boss yet.

2014 = -1016; 2015= -1409; 2016  = -1171; 2017 = ?  TOT =  -3596

keno historic = -2291 ; 2015= -603; 2016= -424; 2017 = ? TOT = - 3318

United States
                    Member #116268
                    September 7, 2011
                    20244 Posts
                    Posted: December 16, 2012, 12:53 pm - IP Logged

i have already retired,  years ago infact. i just havent told my boss yet.

Your boss probably only wants "need to know" information anyway...... Keep up the great work......

Artist77's avatar - batman14

United States
                      Member #121745
                      January 16, 2012
                      4954 Posts
                      Posted: December 16, 2012, 1:07 pm - IP Logged

Are these test questions??? Im starting to feel like Im being schooled here b2b...........

lol Welcome to the overly strict bizarro classroom.

BB must not have actually taught a real life class. I have and hypothetical questions are meant to evoke discussion, not a right or wrong answer. I actually learned something from the person who said something about checking the time on tickets.

J'aime La France.

Columbia, SC
                        United States
                        Member #135285
                        November 21, 2012
                        584 Posts
                        Posted: December 16, 2012, 1:13 pm - IP Logged

Perhaps you have an overactive imagination, or to much time on your hands?????Lurking

I Agree!

United States
                          Member #116268
                          September 7, 2011
                          20244 Posts
                          Posted: December 16, 2012, 1:25 pm - IP Logged

BB must not have actually taught a real life class. I have and hypothetical questions are meant to evoke discussion, not a right or wrong answer. I actually learned something from the person who said something about checking the time on tickets.

Good one.... Unless it was love at first sight, I dont think two people are going to bump into each other and permanently mix up their lottery tickets with each other......... lol.

United States
                            Member #116268
                            September 7, 2011
                            20244 Posts
                            Posted: December 16, 2012, 1:25 pm - IP Logged

I like the time stamp idea too, but in AZ they must code it because Ive not deciphered one....

Ga
                              United States
                              Member #120454
                              December 20, 2011
                              143 Posts
                              Posted: December 16, 2012, 1:29 pm - IP Logged

No I would quit as soon as the money was in my hands. Full retirement I'll take three austere pension or just cash it in whatever has the softest hit in the final number. By jackpot I gonna guess you mean never work agian money $5 million and up. Why waste time at a what $50000 even $200000 job when u can get more than that with conservative investing?