Welcome Guest
You last visited December 8, 2016, 2:47 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Why can't Massachusetts have the exact same lottery raffle they had last year?

Topic closed. 15 replies. Last post 4 years ago by lucky6025.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #122468
February 1, 2012
530 Posts
Posted: December 18, 2012, 11:58 am - IP Logged

Hi,

Last year Massachusetts had a great lottery drawing.  The raffle tickets were not cheap they cost 20 dollars but the grand prize was 7 million dollars and 2 runners up got 1 million. They also had at least a thousand people who won 1 thousand dollars.  This year the tickets cost 10 dollars but the winner only  gets to take 50 percent of the sales for the raffle. Every Wed. they pick 5 people to win 1,000 dollars and those people are still able to be in the main draw. I'm upset with our lottery. Isn't it enough that I live in Taxachusetts, couldn't they be kind and just continue the same raffle they had last year. It was a nice to have that dream last year of maybe having a chance to win something decent. Right now the ticket sales are at 539,380 but whatever the amount is they are only giving away half of it (not to mention the federal and state tax we still have to pay) to one person only, so you are not left with much. I'm missing the raffle they had last year and wish they would bring that one back again. Last year was my first time playing the raffle and don't know if they had it for other years. It seems that other states give much better prizes. Are any other people upset like I am about this raffle?

United States
    Member #130815
    July 25, 2012
    1636 Posts
    Posted: December 18, 2012, 1:58 pm - IP Logged

Hi,

Last year Massachusetts had a great lottery drawing.  The raffle tickets were not cheap they cost 20 dollars but the grand prize was 7 million dollars and 2 runners up got 1 million. They also had at least a thousand people who won 1 thousand dollars.  This year the tickets cost 10 dollars but the winner only  gets to take 50 percent of the sales for the raffle. Every Wed. they pick 5 people to win 1,000 dollars and those people are still able to be in the main draw. I'm upset with our lottery. Isn't it enough that I live in Taxachusetts, couldn't they be kind and just continue the same raffle they had last year. It was a nice to have that dream last year of maybe having a chance to win something decent. Right now the ticket sales are at 539,380 but whatever the amount is they are only giving away half of it (not to mention the federal and state tax we still have to pay) to one person only, so you are not left with much. I'm missing the raffle they had last year and wish they would bring that one back again. Last year was my first time playing the raffle and don't know if they had it for other years. It seems that other states give much better prizes. Are any other people upset like I am about this raffle?

That does sound like a great raffle......IDK did they not make money on it?? Or not enough of it to do it again, I'm wondering?

United States
      Member #122468
      February 1, 2012
      530 Posts
      Posted: December 18, 2012, 3:32 pm - IP Logged

That does sound like a great raffle......IDK did they not make money on it?? Or not enough of it to do it again, I'm wondering?

Hi billionaire2bee,

From what I can gather I assume it was a successful raffle last year, unfortunately for myself I won nothing (had bought 2 tickets last year). I think they just do want to pay out any good money like they did last year.

maringoman's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcTbRxpKQmOfcCoUqF2FyqIOAwDo7rg9G-lfJLAALPGWJWwiz19eRw
        Massachusetts
        United States
        Member #37433
        April 14, 2006
        2747 Posts
        Posted: December 18, 2012, 4:04 pm - IP Logged

MA raffles have been failing because they try to fancy them up and many people see through their con. The one back in 2007 failed in selling almost half of the tickets. The one in 2011 was also a failure. A good raffle is like the one currently in PA or VA. They both have 4 tickets that will win $1,000,000 and other smaller prizes. Both are also selling about 500,000 tickets for their raffles, much better odds I'd say.

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
          Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
          United States
          Member #73904
          April 28, 2009
          14903 Posts
          Posted: December 18, 2012, 8:01 pm - IP Logged

You're lucky you have a raffle at all.

Tennessee doesn't even have one.

And the Dragon Lady said that if I call one more time asking if there's going to be a raffle she will crush my head like a grape.

maringoman's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcTbRxpKQmOfcCoUqF2FyqIOAwDo7rg9G-lfJLAALPGWJWwiz19eRw
            Massachusetts
            United States
            Member #37433
            April 14, 2006
            2747 Posts
            Posted: December 18, 2012, 10:43 pm - IP Logged

You're lucky you have a raffle at all.

Tennessee doesn't even have one.

And the Dragon Lady said that if I call one more time asking if there's going to be a raffle she will crush my head like a grape.

hahahaha

Massachusetts
              United States
              Member #78798
              August 21, 2009
              336 Posts
              Posted: December 19, 2012, 2:36 am - IP Logged

Yeah. I prefered the way it was last year too.

For last years raffle there was:

1 $7 million winner

1 $1 million winner

20 $50,000 winners

1,000 $1,000 winners

including 5 $1,000 winners every wednesday for 9 wednsdays total.

Only 1 million tickets would be sold and they were $20. But that price was well worth it to me for the big prizes. I had bought 7 tickets last year and it was a lot of fun dreaming about the winning the top prizes of $7 million and $1 million.

This years raffle is not that great compared to last years. Is a 50/50 raffle and theres only one winner who wins half of the jackpot. The tickets are $10 each. And we still get the Weekly wednsday drawings but they win $5,000 instead of $1,000. I bought one today and I got #0110300. So that would be $10 x 110300 tickets sold would be $1,103,000. Divide that by 2 and that = $551,500. We would win that much if the drawing was today. I dont think by the end of the raffle it would reach over $1,000,000.

Massachusetts
                United States
                Member #78798
                August 21, 2009
                336 Posts
                Posted: December 19, 2012, 4:31 am - IP Logged

The weekly drawings on wednesdays the winners win $1000. I said in my last post they win $5000.

United States
                  Member #122468
                  February 1, 2012
                  530 Posts
                  Posted: December 19, 2012, 9:10 am - IP Logged

Yeah. I prefered the way it was last year too.

For last years raffle there was:

1 $7 million winner

1 $1 million winner

20 $50,000 winners

1,000 $1,000 winners

including 5 $1,000 winners every wednesday for 9 wednsdays total.

Only 1 million tickets would be sold and they were $20. But that price was well worth it to me for the big prizes. I had bought 7 tickets last year and it was a lot of fun dreaming about the winning the top prizes of $7 million and $1 million.

This years raffle is not that great compared to last years. Is a 50/50 raffle and theres only one winner who wins half of the jackpot. The tickets are $10 each. And we still get the Weekly wednsday drawings but they win $5,000 instead of $1,000. I bought one today and I got #0110300. So that would be $10 x 110300 tickets sold would be $1,103,000. Divide that by 2 and that = $551,500. We would win that much if the drawing was today. I dont think by the end of the raffle it would reach over $1,000,000.

Hi Genome,

Thanks for clarifying how last years raffle was. I had forgotten that there were 20 prizes of 50,000. I have just bought one ticket for this raffle because their is nothing for me to get excited about. It's hard enough to win any kind of a lottery jackpot but by making the lottery raffle much worse this year it's depressing.  Did you end up winning anything with your 7 tickets you bought for it last year?

Massachusetts
                    United States
                    Member #78798
                    August 21, 2009
                    336 Posts
                    Posted: December 19, 2012, 1:20 pm - IP Logged

Hi Genome,

Thanks for clarifying how last years raffle was. I had forgotten that there were 20 prizes of 50,000. I have just bought one ticket for this raffle because their is nothing for me to get excited about. It's hard enough to win any kind of a lottery jackpot but by making the lottery raffle much worse this year it's depressing.  Did you end up winning anything with your 7 tickets you bought for it last year?

No I didn't. But I was super excited to check the website for the winning ticket numbers. I saw all of the numbers listed. and I thought I must have won something but I didn't. I didnt even win one of the weekly wednesday bonus drawings.

For this years raffle I have 12 tickets so far.  Hopefully I win the jackpot since thats only prize or the weekly bonus drawings for next week and today when they post the winning ticket numbers.

I even purchased a Rhode Island raffle ticket. Those are $20 and 1 in 120,000 chance to win $1,000,000. I might have some luck with that.

Framingham,Ma
                      United States
                      Member #87369
                      February 23, 2010
                      50 Posts
                      Posted: January 8, 2013, 2:01 pm - IP Logged

Hi,as with all Mass Lottery games,State claims not making any money LOL yet billions in profits each year,so Lottery gives out less in payoffs each year in almost all their games.Look at scratch games more and more under $5.00 ticket games have as many Million dollar prizes and when you look at lesser prizes those are also less being offered.Used to be all $5.00 tickets had at least {10} million dollar prizes plus 10 or 20K prizes. Ask anyone you know still playing and see when last time won anything of any amount.Way to many knew games,yet older ones still there, feel sorry for stores and man at counter.Well that my feel on Mass Lottery.Here is something to ponder when you win 1 Million dollars in any game other than PB in Mass and take lump sum its 650,000.00 less taxes,yet when you hit second prize on PB 1 Million dollars it is paid as 700,000.00 after taxes,Go Figure

Massachusetts
                        United States
                        Member #37433
                        April 14, 2006
                        2747 Posts
                        Posted: January 8, 2013, 4:07 pm - IP Logged

Hi,as with all Mass Lottery games,State claims not making any money LOL yet billions in profits each year,so Lottery gives out less in payoffs each year in almost all their games.Look at scratch games more and more under $5.00 ticket games have as many Million dollar prizes and when you look at lesser prizes those are also less being offered.Used to be all $5.00 tickets had at least {10} million dollar prizes plus 10 or 20K prizes. Ask anyone you know still playing and see when last time won anything of any amount.Way to many knew games,yet older ones still there, feel sorry for stores and man at counter.Well that my feel on Mass Lottery.Here is something to ponder when you win 1 Million dollars in any game other than PB in Mass and take lump sum its 650,000.00 less taxes,yet when you hit second prize on PB 1 Million dollars it is paid as 700,000.00 after taxes,Go Figure

The second prize and other lower prizes in PB are not annuities. So if you match the 5 white balls you get a check of $700,000 after 30% withholding tax (25% federal withholding + 5% State withholding) Scratch tickets top prizes are annuities.
                          Framingham,Ma
                          United States
                          Member #87369
                          February 23, 2010
                          50 Posts
                          Posted: January 9, 2013, 5:10 am - IP Logged

Hi, I understand the second prize and lower are not annuities but scratch tickets with million dollar winnings are not annuities either yet prize is 650,000.00 less 25% fed and 5% state so getting only $455,000.00 but PB you get $700,000.00 after taxes..still never understood this.

Massachusetts
                            United States
                            Member #37433
                            April 14, 2006
                            2747 Posts
                            Posted: January 9, 2013, 8:02 am - IP Logged

Hi, I understand the second prize and lower are not annuities but scratch tickets with million dollar winnings are not annuities either yet prize is 650,000.00 less 25% fed and 5% state so getting only $455,000.00 but PB you get $700,000.00 after taxes..still never understood this.

Who told you the scratch tickets with million dollar winnings are not annuities? check your sources because they are incorrect. All jp prizes in scratch tickets are annuities.

United States
                              Member #122468
                              February 1, 2012
                              530 Posts
                              Posted: January 9, 2013, 9:54 am - IP Logged

Hi Lucky6025,

I'm in total agreement with you. I'm also in Mass. You are right about  the billions of profits the lottery makes each year but the payoffs are lousy Like yourself I've never understood why when a person wins a 1 million on a scratch ticket why they can't get the full 1 million less taxes of course. I understand how the annuities work if you decide to take it over the course of 20 years but you should not be penalized for taking the lump sum instead of the annuity. I think it's dishonest for the lottery to say that someone could win a 1 million on a scratch ticket when it's not a million if you take the the lump sum. It's much better to win the PB or the Mega Millions by getting 5 numbers because that way you do win the actual 1 million (if you play with the megaplier on Mega Millions) minus the taxes.  Also why do some of the scratch tickets give you such low a prize (for instance  I played a 10 dollar scratch game the other day and got a 5x but it was only 2 dollars which amounted to a win of 10 dollars) that's frustrating. When am I ever going to win anthing good. And as my original post stated I played the raffle but won nothing just like last year.