Welcome Guest
You last visited December 4, 2016, 3:15 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Are the base jackpots really too low??

Topic closed. 46 replies. Last post 4 years ago by billionaire2bee.

Page 3 of 4
PrintE-mailLink
Boney526's avatar - NjlpLogo
New Jersey
United States
Member #99032
October 18, 2010
1439 Posts
Posted: December 21, 2012, 9:12 pm - IP Logged

Probably the only people complaining are the ones not buying a ticket when the jackpot is $12M.  If they aren't buying tickets, why should anyone care what they think?  They still have the option of waiting until the jackpot reaches the level at which they like to play.

Exactly.

I'm one of those players who wait for huge jackpots to play, and don't risk money unless there is one, but I don't complain about where the jackpot starts.  If it didn't start out where it did - they'd compensate by lowering the other prizes, so I'm fine with it starting whereever they want.

New Jersey
    United States
    Member #99032
    October 18, 2010
    1439 Posts
    Posted: December 21, 2012, 9:16 pm - IP Logged

How do you know how much money people have , and how much anyone has won.......What?

I'm with Ronnie on this one.

Who are you to determine how much someone values 12 million dollars vs 300 million?  Especially when you have to spend money for the chance to win it.

haymaker's avatar - Lottery-012.jpg
      Egg Harbor twp.south Jersey shore
      United States
      Member #112968
      June 29, 2011
      3854 Posts
      Posted: December 21, 2012, 9:18 pm - IP Logged

You should ask her out before you buy the drink.LOL

Not gettin much, ehh, thrifty ?

Extraordinary Popular Delusions & the Madness of Crowds    -- Charles Mackay  LL.D.

United States
        Member #116268
        September 7, 2011
        20244 Posts
        Posted: December 21, 2012, 9:19 pm - IP Logged

One, no.  Two, what does that have to do with the topic at hand?  (Hint: nothing.)

Who made you the forum cop??????

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
          Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
          United States
          Member #73904
          April 28, 2009
          14903 Posts
          Posted: December 21, 2012, 9:29 pm - IP Logged

Who made you the forum cop??????

LOL, he wishes he was the forum cop, but alas, he's just a busybody.

United States
            Member #130815
            July 25, 2012
            1636 Posts
            Posted: December 21, 2012, 10:27 pm - IP Logged

You can only know about LP members what you've read in posts by LP members.  And if you know anything it is, not everything you read in LP posts are facts.

I.E. you agree no one on here has won a jackpot....

United States
              Member #130815
              July 25, 2012
              1636 Posts
              Posted: December 21, 2012, 10:30 pm - IP Logged

I'm with Ronnie on this one.

Who are you to determine how much someone values 12 million dollars vs 300 million?  Especially when you have to spend money for the chance to win it.

Ah Ah ahhh you asked two very different questions....never said anything how much anyone values one amount over another I said....if you were the one who won the 12 million would you be complaining that it was a small amount???

New Jersey
                United States
                Member #99032
                October 18, 2010
                1439 Posts
                Posted: December 22, 2012, 3:20 am - IP Logged

Ah Ah ahhh you asked two very different questions....never said anything how much anyone values one amount over another I said....if you were the one who won the 12 million would you be complaining that it was a small amount???

I wouldn't win 12 million, because I wouldn't play for it.

But of course I wouldn't complain about getting the best possible outcome on a bet I chose to make, if I chose to make it.  Again, I wouldn't, but my point was that some people value the possibility of getting rich as relatively the same regardless of how rich it is, while others don't see it that way.

United States
                  Member #130815
                  July 25, 2012
                  1636 Posts
                  Posted: December 22, 2012, 7:22 am - IP Logged

I wouldn't win 12 million, because I wouldn't play for it.

But of course I wouldn't complain about getting the best possible outcome on a bet I chose to make, if I chose to make it.  Again, I wouldn't, but my point was that some people value the possibility of getting rich as relatively the same regardless of how rich it is, while others don't see it that way.

I'll play for 12 million and I'll play for 112 million.........My point is I play consistently.........and if I won any amount from the base to the plateau or any amount in between........It would be one of the happiest days of my life...........I don't kmow that's just me........

Guru101's avatar - rw6jhh
                    Indiana
                    United States
                    Member #48725
                    January 7, 2007
                    1953 Posts
                    Posted: December 22, 2012, 7:39 am - IP Logged

I'll play for 12 million and I'll play for 112 million.........My point is I play consistently.........and if I won any amount from the base to the plateau or any amount in between........It would be one of the happiest days of my life...........I don't kmow that's just me........

It's a shame NC doesn't have an in-state Lotto game. If they did, you might understand why some of us choose to play games that are many times easier to win than the PB and MM, in yet still offer that upper class lifestyle in the event we hit the jackpot.

Gonna win.Big Smile

United States
                      Member #130815
                      July 25, 2012
                      1636 Posts
                      Posted: December 22, 2012, 8:33 pm - IP Logged

It's a shame NC doesn't have an in-state Lotto game. If they did, you might understand why some of us choose to play games that are many times easier to win than the PB and MM, in yet still offer that upper class lifestyle in the event we hit the jackpot.

Yeah an in-state game would be nice....but it wouldn't change my view on MM or PB...12 million is nothing to sneeze at....My main POINT is that if you bought the MM ticket and won the "lowly" 12 million would you not take it cause it's only 12 million???.......Is the answer no?? Then there....... you can't win it if you not in it...$1.00 is all it takes $104.00 a year if you lost every drawing that year....

ttech10's avatar - blobdude
                        Texas
                        United States
                        Member #92330
                        June 5, 2010
                        887 Posts
                        Posted: December 23, 2012, 1:23 am - IP Logged

I don't think anyone really thinks an amount is too low. Rather, they think it's too low based on what other games are at. SuperLotto is lower than MM so I can't use that as an example so I'll use Texas. Lotto Texas is at a CVO of $13m, compared to the MM which is at $13.6m. The obvious choice there is to play for the Texas Lotto as the amount is essentially the same but you have much better odds with the state game (1:25,827,165 compared to 1:175,711,536).

I'm in the same boat as you in that I'll be happy winning the jackpot of MM no matter what it's at, but you can see how people think the amount should start a lot higher since the odds of the MUSL game are much higher. It also doesn't help games like MM when they're in the current situation I listed above, where the state game of Texas is a vastly better option.

United States
                          Member #130815
                          July 25, 2012
                          1636 Posts
                          Posted: December 23, 2012, 8:02 am - IP Logged

I don't think anyone really thinks an amount is too low. Rather, they think it's too low based on what other games are at. SuperLotto is lower than MM so I can't use that as an example so I'll use Texas. Lotto Texas is at a CVO of $13m, compared to the MM which is at $13.6m. The obvious choice there is to play for the Texas Lotto as the amount is essentially the same but you have much better odds with the state game (1:25,827,165 compared to 1:175,711,536).

I'm in the same boat as you in that I'll be happy winning the jackpot of MM no matter what it's at, but you can see how people think the amount should start a lot higher since the odds of the MUSL game are much higher. It also doesn't help games like MM when they're in the current situation I listed above, where the state game of Texas is a vastly better option.

Right....I hear you....but while your throwing money at fate...throw some in all directions and not just one....and maybe something will come back at you....I'm saying don't limit yourself to one game cause whatever a jackpot is at and you hit it...it will be much more money than you can ever make.....1 ticket is all it takes.......

New Jersey
                            United States
                            Member #99032
                            October 18, 2010
                            1439 Posts
                            Posted: December 23, 2012, 10:29 am - IP Logged

Right....I hear you....but while your throwing money at fate...throw some in all directions and not just one....and maybe something will come back at you....I'm saying don't limit yourself to one game cause whatever a jackpot is at and you hit it...it will be much more money than you can ever make.....1 ticket is all it takes.......

That's the "wrong" approach, IMO, unless there are multiple jackpots of comparable sizes to their odds of winning.  I put wrong in quotes since it is just an opinion.

Any amount of money I'm willing to play will be played on one game, and just one game on the rare occasion in which there is a nice jackpot.  Then again my lottery play is very different than most on here.  I don't play for months at a time, and then on one night when the Jersey Cash 5 grows over 800K, I play between 10 and 50 dollars.  I then go for months without playing at a time as long as the Jackpot was hit by someone.  I literally play 1 line on record breaking jackpots and about 30 the few times the Cash 5 gets huge, keeping my expenses really low, and I pretty much never go out of my way to play.

EG:  I'd much rather play 20 dollars on a 1.2 million Jersey Cash 5 Jackpot than 10 dollars on that and 10 dollars on a 200 million dollar MM jackpot.

Even though winning 200 million would vastly change my life in, it's much, much more likely for me to win the Cash 5, which would still be a very large windfall for me.  And I'd rather maximize my chances at that game, even though the MM is also high - especially when the Cash 5 is higher compared to it's odds than the MM is in this situation.

United States
                              Member #116268
                              September 7, 2011
                              20244 Posts
                              Posted: December 23, 2012, 3:06 pm - IP Logged

Exactly.

I'm one of those players who wait for huge jackpots to play, and don't risk money unless there is one, but I don't complain about where the jackpot starts.  If it didn't start out where it did - they'd compensate by lowering the other prizes, so I'm fine with it starting whereever they want.

Are you too cheap to play a couple lines per draw Boney, or are you too broke?