Welcome Guest
You last visited December 9, 2016, 12:16 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Anyone Gives Lottery Ticket as Christmas GIft?

Topic closed. 30 replies. Last post 4 years ago by jackpotismine.

Page 1 of 3
PrintE-mailLink
Uluska's avatar - strawberry

United States
Member #134627
November 2, 2012
1001 Posts
Posted: December 25, 2012, 11:58 am - IP Logged

Anyone gives lottery ticket as Christmas gift?

savagegoose's avatar - ProfilePho
    adelaide sa
    Australia
    Member #37136
    April 11, 2006
    3300 Posts
    Posted: December 25, 2012, 1:56 pm - IP Logged

i did, but sometimes it doesnt seem to go down too well. One person asked me do I expect to get anything if tthe tickts a winner, and how do i feel about %10.?

i  never really thought about it, and said its upto you, its your ticket.  Personally i would give half to the family members there. and keep half myself.

tjhat was a few years ago, and i dont give them as presents anymore.

most people dont like them, and im not sure how i would feel if it actually won

2014 = -1016; 2015= -1409; 2016 JAN = -106; FEB= -81; MAR= -131; APR= - 87: MAY= -91; JUN= -39; JUL=-134; AUG= -124; SEP = -123; OCT= -84  NOV=- 73 TOT= -3498

keno historic = -2291 ; 2015= -603; 2016= JAN=-32, FEB= +12 , MAR= -86, APR = -77. MAY= -48, JUN= -29, JUL=-71; AUG = -52; SEPT= -43; OCT = +56 NOV = -33 TOT= -3297

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
      Zeta Reticuli Star System
      United States
      Member #30470
      January 17, 2006
      10353 Posts
      Posted: December 25, 2012, 2:36 pm - IP Logged

$1 to $10 scratchers........ I think for $20 and up they'd rather have the cash.

If anyone gives tickets for draw games as a gift it's a good idea to play the same numbers for yourself as it would eliminate some of the hassles savagegoose mentioned if it hit.

Lep

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

maringoman's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcTbRxpKQmOfcCoUqF2FyqIOAwDo7rg9G-lfJLAALPGWJWwiz19eRw
        Massachusetts
        United States
        Member #37433
        April 14, 2006
        2747 Posts
        Posted: December 25, 2012, 3:45 pm - IP Logged

I don't like giving lottery tickets as presents. First because I think its not a thoughtful gift and more like a last minute thing. Also I don't give them out because I don't like to receive them as presents. Some people are so stupid that they would demand you to share with them any big wins from a ticket they gave you. Agree with stupid

That money's gone fo ever

HoLeeKau's avatar - YheaShea
          Idaho
          United States
          Member #94283
          July 17, 2010
          2284 Posts
          Posted: December 25, 2012, 4:51 pm - IP Logged

I give them once in a while, but only $1 or $2 scratchers.  The JP on those is usually low enough that if they won, I wouldn't be TOO upset that I didn't keep the ticket for myself.  Evil Looking

I gave some to a woman in her birthday card several years ago.   When she thanked me, she got all shifty eyed and hesitated before she said she didn't win anything.  I'm pretty sure she won something, and didn't want to tell me because she was afraid I'd want a cut.  The only reason she'd think that is because she's the type who would want half of it if the situation was reversed.  Roll Eyes

msharkey2001's avatar - Trek startrek.gif
            New Hampshire
            United States
            Member #136492
            December 12, 2012
            322 Posts
            Posted: December 25, 2012, 5:03 pm - IP Logged

I don't like giving lottery tickets as presents. First because I think its not a thoughtful gift and more like a last minute thing. Also I don't give them out because I don't like to receive them as presents. Some people are so stupid that they would demand you to share with them any big wins from a ticket they gave you. Agree with stupid

Yes I wouldn't give them as a "featured" gift but as stocking stuffers for my young adult children are perfectly fine. At least with them I would know if they hit a major jackpot they would give their old man a cut in appreciation.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
              mid-Ohio
              United States
              Member #9
              March 24, 2001
              19830 Posts
              Posted: December 25, 2012, 5:03 pm - IP Logged

I only give them to myself since I wouldn't have a problem sharing with myself if they were big winners. Evil Looking

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

Columbia, SC
                United States
                Member #135285
                November 21, 2012
                584 Posts
                Posted: December 25, 2012, 5:44 pm - IP Logged

I've given them as presents in the past on probably 2 or 3 occasions, but it was done during a really high jackpot. After reading about jackpots not being claimed from tickets that were probably given as Christmas gifts, I doubt giving them as gifts is something I will ever do again....

"If you can DREAM it, you can DO it!"- Walt Disney

RedStang's avatar - tallman zps6gf4inoc.jpg
                  NY
                  United States
                  Member #121961
                  January 21, 2012
                  3157 Posts
                  Posted: December 25, 2012, 7:00 pm - IP Logged

Give gifts and cash to the family. The thought of giving away a big winner would make me sick, even though i would share it anyways.

rustysmom's avatar - Lottery-031.jpg
                    ohio
                    United States
                    Member #706
                    September 14, 2002
                    712 Posts
                    Posted: December 25, 2012, 8:37 pm - IP Logged

I have  bought several  powerball or mega million tickets all with same number, taped  to candy canes and hung on tree, guests that came christmas eve, received a ticket. everyone including myself had same number. one wins, we all win.

i have also bought an  ohio raffle ticket for a couple people i'm close to at work, all our names go on ticket, i make copies and put in card.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                      mid-Ohio
                      United States
                      Member #9
                      March 24, 2001
                      19830 Posts
                      Posted: December 25, 2012, 8:47 pm - IP Logged

I have  bought several  powerball or mega million tickets all with same number, taped  to candy canes and hung on tree, guests that came christmas eve, received a ticket. everyone including myself had same number. one wins, we all win.

i have also bought an  ohio raffle ticket for a couple people i'm close to at work, all our names go on ticket, i make copies and put in card.

That's a money saving idea, giving lottery tickets for gifts after you've signed them, a gift that you can give and share too if it's worth anything.Wink

Evil Looking       

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                        Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
                        United States
                        Member #73904
                        April 28, 2009
                        14903 Posts
                        Posted: December 25, 2012, 9:22 pm - IP Logged

If somebody gave me a ticket with their name on the back as a gift, I'd go get a ticket with the same numbers and then burn the one with their name on it in front of them.

I can't stand cheapskates and chiselers.

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                          mid-Ohio
                          United States
                          Member #9
                          March 24, 2001
                          19830 Posts
                          Posted: December 25, 2012, 10:01 pm - IP Logged

If somebody gave me a ticket with their name on the back as a gift, I'd go get a ticket with the same numbers and then burn the one with their name on it in front of them.

I can't stand cheapskates and chiselers.

If it was one of those million dollars raffle tickets, you couldn't duplicate it since they all have unique numbers.

I would probably sign it too and re-gift it to them.  After all, it's the thought not the gift that counts.

Evil Looking       

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                            Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
                            United States
                            Member #73904
                            April 28, 2009
                            14903 Posts
                            Posted: December 25, 2012, 10:24 pm - IP Logged

If it was one of those million dollars raffle tickets, you couldn't duplicate it since they all have unique numbers.

I would probably sign it too and re-gift it to them.  After all, it's the thought not the gift that counts.

LOL, good one RJOh.

And scratch it before re-gifting it to them.

Japan
                              Member #131605
                              August 14, 2012
                              372 Posts
                              Posted: December 26, 2012, 9:10 am - IP Logged

I would love to recieve some lottory as a gift. If it won first or second prize I'd give 10-15% even if the insisted not too