Welcome Guest
You last visited December 10, 2016, 1:24 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Downloading numbers from state lottery sites into excel??

Topic closed. 21 replies. Last post 4 years ago by RJOh.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
Greenfox's avatar - IMAG01562
Burnsville
United States
Member #107244
March 4, 2011
853 Posts
Posted: December 31, 2012, 2:39 am - IP Logged

This is a question for some of the advanced i guess, excel users. Does anyone know if there is a way thru, e-mail in to word or anyway possible that one could have the numbers go right into a sheet of excel or word to excel. Anything like that, that anyone knows of. I know i get updates every draw in my e-mail, but have no idea what so ever about doing such a task. Here we can go to the website and download all the numbers, but what I'm thinking about is just when the new numbers come in, transfer them automatically. 

Any ideas????

You can't steal second and keep your foot on FIRST!!!

“Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths.
When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength”.

-Arnold (Ahnald) Schwarzenegger-

four4me's avatar - gate1
    MD
    United States
    Member #1701
    June 18, 2003
    8364 Posts
    Posted: December 31, 2012, 4:09 am - IP Logged
    chances are their data base might not be complete to the exact day you download it.
    when the new numbers are drawn enter them yourself

Big John says. You don't hit the number. The number hits you!!!!

I'm not Big John, I'm Four4me, Big John's a friend.
      Burnsville
      United States
      Member #107244
      March 4, 2011
      853 Posts
      Posted: December 31, 2012, 4:30 am - IP Logged
      chances are their data base might not be complete to the exact day you download it.
      when the new numbers are drawn enter them yourself

Thanks four4me. I didn't know if there was or not. It doesn't bother me to type them in. I used pen and paper then, MS paint for years making my own charts. Just wanted to see if it was possible so i could make it easier for anyone using my stuff is all. It's all good though. I don't think anyone minds typing them in. Thanks much for the reply.

four4me's avatar - gate1
        MD
        United States
        Member #1701
        June 18, 2003
        8364 Posts
        Posted: December 31, 2012, 5:07 am - IP Logged

I entered the numbers for my state for years then my hard drive crashed. it's a
        good idea if you do keep a data base to have the files backed up on another pc
        or storage device

Big John says. You don't hit the number. The number hits you!!!!

I'm not Big John, I'm Four4me, Big John's a friend.
          Burnsville
          United States
          Member #107244
          March 4, 2011
          853 Posts
          Posted: December 31, 2012, 5:14 am - IP Logged

I entered the numbers for my state for years then my hard drive crashed. it's a
          good idea if you do keep a data base to have the files backed up on another pc
          or storage device

You couldn't have given better advice there. I have four hard discs in my PC. With all my work on a shadow drive that i only hook up to update then it's unhooked and left in there. Not about to lose all my data. I'd really lose my mind if i did. Not far from that now. LOL. But yes, copies and copies kept safe away is the only way to go.

Sorry to hear about you losing yours. I don't know what I'd do. Get me one of those fancy jackets that tie in the back i guess. Have to take it off after labor day though. LOL.

JKING's avatar - Kaleidoscope 3.gif

United States
            Member #5599
            July 13, 2004
            1185 Posts
            Posted: December 31, 2012, 5:48 am - IP Logged

This is a question for some of the advanced i guess, excel users. Does anyone know if there is a way thru, e-mail in to word or anyway possible that one could have the numbers go right into a sheet of excel or word to excel. Anything like that, that anyone knows of. I know i get updates every draw in my e-mail, but have no idea what so ever about doing such a task. Here we can go to the website and download all the numbers, but what I'm thinking about is just when the new numbers come in, transfer them automatically. 

Any ideas????

It sounds like a good idea for Todd to sell premium memberships. The LP as a source to download pick histories. Then again, if there is another site or method to download histories, I wouldn't mind seeing the link.

Using a flash drive is a very economical way to save those files. Then it is just a matter of getting in the habit of using it. *S*

United States
              Member #133452
              September 30, 2012
              69 Posts
              Posted: December 31, 2012, 12:45 pm - IP Logged

I  am not sure about the state  lottto site, but US - Lotto  has the history of all the numbers played for each game  to download free and you can copy and paste it to word or excel.

Hopes this helps

.... and so it was.

SergeM's avatar - slow icon.png
                Economy class
                Belgium
                Member #123700
                February 27, 2012
                4035 Posts
                Posted: December 31, 2012, 3:09 pm - IP Logged

Click on any button and follow the instructions.
                For help use help.

Economy class
                  Belgium
                  Member #123700
                  February 27, 2012
                  4035 Posts
                  Posted: December 31, 2012, 3:20 pm - IP Logged

The web query doesn't work for every website. This is due to the website, not to Excel.

The Texan website does it for example. Just click on the right 'division' and import. You can set the refreshing to automatic if you want to. In other cases you paste to a text file and import the data, or you download the data as text file. You could also use XML but I don't know any source for it.

Burnsville
                    United States
                    Member #107244
                    March 4, 2011
                    853 Posts
                    Posted: December 31, 2012, 6:27 pm - IP Logged

It sounds like a good idea for Todd to sell premium memberships. The LP as a source to download pick histories. Then again, if there is another site or method to download histories, I wouldn't mind seeing the link.

Using a flash drive is a very economical way to save those files. Then it is just a matter of getting in the habit of using it. *S*

Thanks for the reply JKING. I was a little tired when thinking about this and wasn't thinking where is was.  A big ole duh on my part. I should have said more clearly as to what i was looking for. What i had in mind was putting something in my books that would download the numbers when they was updated and go ahead and fill in the sheets. That way anyone using them wouldn't have to. Just to make it easier fo anyone trying what I've been working on.

I use a flash drive also. Yes. Nice cheap alternative to keep things safe. And handy. I travel back and forth quite a bit, so it's a necessity for me to work when not at home.

Burnsville
                      United States
                      Member #107244
                      March 4, 2011
                      853 Posts
                      Posted: December 31, 2012, 6:31 pm - IP Logged

I  am not sure about the state  lottto site, but US - Lotto  has the history of all the numbers played for each game  to download free and you can copy and paste it to word or excel.

Hopes this helps

Thanks for the advice Goal2Win.

I'm really new to using excel and trying different things to make my work easier for the users. I was thinking about some formula or data connection that would fill in the numbers when they where posted or something to that nature. I'll check out US and see what LP has here and see if i can do anything with it. I should realy just go take an excel class.

Burnsville
                        United States
                        Member #107244
                        March 4, 2011
                        853 Posts
                        Posted: December 31, 2012, 6:40 pm - IP Logged

The web query doesn't work for every website. This is due to the website, not to Excel.

The Texan website does it for example. Just click on the right 'division' and import. You can set the refreshing to automatic if you want to. In other cases you paste to a text file and import the data, or you download the data as text file. You could also use XML but I don't know any source for it.

Dang SergeM. You must be another excel pro. I wish i knew more about using it. I just know simple formulas and the simpler things right now.

I figured out how to use the data tabs like you showed. Just couldn't get it to pull up and set it all up real nice like you have it. What i had in mind was something in a formula or macro based deal that would get the data when opened and go ahead and fill it in automaticly. I really don't know if that is possible or not. It's not a big deal though. I just takes a second to type three numbers in. I figured it couldn't hurt to ask and see if someone knew a way to.

I appreciate your helping and tips. I'll take all the excel knowledge i can get.

JKING's avatar - Kaleidoscope 3.gif

United States
                          Member #5599
                          July 13, 2004
                          1185 Posts
                          Posted: December 31, 2012, 7:26 pm - IP Logged

Thanks for the advice Goal2Win.

I'm really new to using excel and trying different things to make my work easier for the users. I was thinking about some formula or data connection that would fill in the numbers when they where posted or something to that nature. I'll check out US and see what LP has here and see if i can do anything with it. I should realy just go take an excel class.

You might want to look at link below for excel. *S*

http://www.learnmicrosoftexcel.com/free_tutorials/free_tutorials_with_video.htm?gclid=COHv5JbyxbQCFal7QgodhDUAPQ

Burnsville
                            United States
                            Member #107244
                            March 4, 2011
                            853 Posts
                            Posted: December 31, 2012, 8:02 pm - IP Logged

Thank you a bunch JKING!!! I now have a new book mark. What i couldn't figure out on my own, i just googled. If that didn't do it, excelforum.com has been a blessing. I will check this place out and see what i can learn new.

Thanks again!!!!

Economy class
                              Belgium
                              Member #123700
                              February 27, 2012
                              4035 Posts
                              Posted: January 1, 2013, 3:33 pm - IP Logged

When you know the basics of Excel, you can start using the macro recorder.

It might take several years to reach my level. Knowing the program isn't all.