Welcome Guest
You last visited December 5, 2016, 9:28 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Downloading numbers from state lottery sites into excel??

Topic closed. 21 replies. Last post 4 years ago by RJOh.

Page 2 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
SergeM's avatar - slow icon.png
Economy class
Belgium
Member #123700
February 27, 2012
4035 Posts
Posted: January 1, 2013, 5:26 pm - IP Logged

For Burnsville, Minnesota
Hot Lotto Past Numbers
In Excel by web query and functions (not VBA subs).

Economy class
    Belgium
    Member #123700
    February 27, 2012
    4035 Posts
    Posted: January 1, 2013, 5:31 pm - IP Logged

For the example I didn't make the difference for the extra number, but as you see, you can get your drawings in Excel in a few clicks. The more complicated version would be entering the drawings one by one.

Greenfox's avatar - IMAG01562
      Burnsville
      United States
      Member #107244
      March 4, 2011
      853 Posts
      Posted: January 1, 2013, 8:52 pm - IP Logged

When you know the basics of Excel, you can start using the macro recorder.

It might take several years to reach my level. Knowing the program isn't all.

I've just dabbled with the macro a little. Still learning the formula basics. I learn a little with it about everyday. And your right, there are so many ways it can do the same thing, it will probably take me more than several years. I'm trying though, and doing better than i was with it. For only been using the formulas and stuff about a month, I'm happy with it. I'm a lot further along with it than i was that's for sure. I got my mind set with it though and I will keep at it and learn as much as i can with it.

You can't steal second and keep your foot on FIRST!!!

“Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths.
      When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength”.

-Arnold (Ahnald) Schwarzenegger-

Burnsville
        United States
        Member #107244
        March 4, 2011
        853 Posts
        Posted: January 1, 2013, 9:03 pm - IP Logged

For Burnsville, Minnesota
        Hot Lotto Past Numbers
        In Excel by web query and functions (not VBA subs).

See now that's just amazing to me. It probably only took you a few seconds also. That's just so cool to me. I'm in North Carolina, but, still. Just amazing. I just gotta keep at it and trying with it.

Thanks for the showing and explaining!!!

Burnsville
          United States
          Member #107244
          March 4, 2011
          853 Posts
          Posted: January 1, 2013, 9:21 pm - IP Logged

For the example I didn't make the difference for the extra number, but as you see, you can get your drawings in Excel in a few clicks. The more complicated version would be entering the drawings one by one.

Oh you done plenty, as it is. I figured there was a way to do something like that but wasn't sure.

After making all my charts with MS Paint for years, even typing it all in with excel, is a breeze. I had nearly 600 games in charts made up in paint. With all the accompanying charts to go along with it. Both  E-O and EE-OO Up and Down. Even/odd. Then a set for hit numbers even/odd and and both hit numbers up and down. And a set for hit numbers since i had been playing. That was my powerball work alone. That's about enough MS Paint to do a few houses i guess, so hand typing isn't a big deal for me. I've always found a way with what i had to get stuff done.

But, I really appreciate your posts and showing me things!!! Like i said, I'm looking to learn all I can.

Economy class
            Belgium
            Member #123700
            February 27, 2012
            4035 Posts
            Posted: January 2, 2013, 3:19 pm - IP Logged

A few useful tips for a database in Excel:

For the date format, choose this type of display: 2013-01-31, year-month-day.
            You can specify your date format in the options. If you don't understand why, then just do it, you will understand it later.

It is better to add rows at the bottom, so you don't have to move the whole data. You can lock the headers.

Typical headers are: DATE, N1, N2, N3 ... . Eventually you can add a day time or and other specifications.

The headers should be in the first row and the data below the headers, no space row.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
              mid-Ohio
              United States
              Member #9
              March 24, 2001
              19824 Posts
              Posted: January 2, 2013, 3:40 pm - IP Logged

A few useful tips for a database in Excel:

For the date format, choose this type of display: 2013-01-31, year-month-day.
              You can specify your date format in the options. If you don't understand why, then just do it, you will understand it later.

It is better to add rows at the bottom, so you don't have to move the whole data. You can lock the headers.

Typical headers are: DATE, N1, N2, N3 ... . Eventually you can add a day time or and other specifications.

The headers should be in the first row and the data below the headers, no space row.

In BASIC programming, I write my data files in the YR MO DA N1 N2 N3 N4 N5 N6 format because it's easier to sort the data string by date that way(forward or backward).

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking